Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

Lariats and clotheslines are the same thing. Same as an axe bomber. All the same move.

Big missed opportunity that Hogan didn't use the axe bomber as his finisher in the WWF, pairing it with the 24-inch pythons is a promo that writes itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

overmind2000 posted:

Big missed opportunity that Hogan didn't use the axe bomber as his finisher in the WWF, pairing it with the 24-inch pythons is a promo that writes itself

And Hogan himself has argued he probably could have gotten a couple more years out of his career with a move that didn't require him to rattle his hips and spine three hundred nights a year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Claytor posted:

And Hogan himself has argued he probably could have gotten a couple more years out of his career with a move that didn't require him to rattle his hips and spine three hundred nights a year.

That's just Hogan looking for sympathy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I thought the difference was that you run into an outstretched arm on a clothesline, and a Texan attempts to brutally murder you in front of a crowd of redneck witnesses on a lariat.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The True Ranking of Clothelines's goes -> Western Lariat> Kobashi Lariat > Taichi Axe Bomber > Sliding Lariat > Clothesline > Hogan Axe Bomber

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Distorted Kiwi posted:

I thought the difference was that you run into an outstretched arm on a clothesline, and a Texan attempts to brutally murder you because he doesn't have his glasses on in front of a crowd of Japanese witnesses on a lariat.

corrected that for ya

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So is the Rainmaker a lariat or a clothesline?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Extremely a lariat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1410222854583508992

E:

https://twitter.com/DjSarj/status/1410223831025848334

quite the familiar look on "Jimmy Garvin" there

SON OF EDIT, THE RETURN:

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1410228625564131335

ooh this is a neat find

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 30, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kevin Nash is the greatest pro wrestler of all time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BitterMarks/status/1410301553953677317

I couldn't tell you exactly why I'm laughing so hard at this but I am

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Everyone should have had a monster truck.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Why can't we mention Kamala during Zodiac's segment... was he the real Zodiac killer?! makes sense why they stopped

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

That's just Hogan looking for sympathy.

I feel like an even marginally more mobile Hogan would be doing no-bump nostalgia matches into his seventies.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Claytor posted:

I feel like an even marginally more mobile Hogan would be doing no-bump nostalgia matches into his seventies.

Yeah, isn't his spine like 50% metal at this point?

Either way, Sting vs. Hogan at Double or Nothing 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Claytor posted:

He absolutely would but his body is a wreck because he has been carrying a huge steroid frame around on his body for 45 years, not just the leg drop. Like, his whole body has been hosed up since the 90s, it's not just the hip. Hogan has a lot of annoying traits but I legit cannot stand how he constantly begs for sympathy.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Everyone should have had a monster truck.

i, too, loved the TV show "Monster Wars"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FREqAZL4YMs
(the most insane premise/execution i've ever seen, basically monster trucks all had a personification who'd cut promos before tractor pull and car jumping poo poo lmao)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1410613668018933771?s=21

Oh man I want so badly to know what this was

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is that it? Because as I recall, they replayed Sid folding his shinbone about a hundred times.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Is that it? Because as I recall, they replayed Sid folding his shinbone about a hundred times.

It was left off the PPV replay and I think on Nitro they only showed still images?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah the replays of Sin were definitely edited and this was still very much the "only show freeze frames of last night's PPV" era for the TV shows

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How did Hogan and Hall/Nash fall out?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

How did Hogan and Hall/Nash fall out?

IIRC the Outsiders felt the cool cache the nWo had was on them (they're right) but that Hogan was being his usual self and hogging the spotlight

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hot dogging, grandstanding, etc

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Hogan made most of the money off of the merchandise too?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like Hogan made most of the money off of the merchandise too?

Probably. Here's what his contract looked like:

"He signed with WCW in 1994 and signed a new deal in 1998, which included a $2 million signing bonus; 15 per cent of pay-per-view sales for each event he wrestled in, with a minimum guaranteed $675,000; 25 per cent of gross ticket sales when wrestling in WCW Nitro, WCW Thunder or an untelevised WCW house show, with a minimum guaranteed $25,000; $20,000 per month just to wear NWO t-shirts on TV and in photo shoots; rights to use his name an image to promote “pasta, pasta restaurants, sandwiches [and] sun tan oil.”

Twenty grand just to wear NWO shirts. Who knows how much he got off their actual sale.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC there was a scam whee other workers' merch royalties were going to Hogan?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
25% of the door gross hachi machi

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

smarxist posted:

And yet he was still in financial trouble after the divorce, until dipshit Daulerio gift-wrapped financial security to him with that Deadspin sex tape.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IIRC there was a scam whee other workers' merch royalties were going to Hogan?

per Death of WCW,

quote:

One of the final straws for Chris Jericho was when his fiancée bought a Jericho-Dean Malenko figure set but the receipt said she’d purchased a Hogan-Sting set. That meant Hogan and Sting got the merchandise cut while WCW actually wasted a stamp mailing Jericho a check for zero dollars.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

per Death of WCW,

Right. I couldn't remember who it was that pointed out.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

smarxist posted:

Bischoff was such a gigantic mark for Hogan. He offered him everything possible to prevent him from jumping back to the WWF.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Every time I watch the Drunk Scott Hall angle it's so much worse than I remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoDLRuGrzk

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I was at Fall Brawl 98 and it’s still hard to process. Hall abdominal stretching guys while Vincent handed him a cup of beer was quite a spot.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Tato posted:

I was at Fall Brawl 98 and it’s still hard to process. Hall abdominal stretching guys while Vincent handed him a cup of beer was quite a spot.

LOL what a card. Jericho versus Fake Goldberg. Drunk Scott Hall versus Konnan. And main evented by the worst WarGames of all time. Star ratings:

Quarter star
Half star
-1 star
-1 star
Two stars
3.5 stars
1.5 stars
Dud
-4 stars

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

is that Raven/Saturn as the best/only good match?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

D.N. Nation posted:

LOL what a card. Jericho versus Fake Goldberg. Drunk Scott Hall versus Konnan. And main evented by the worst WarGames of all time. Star ratings:

Quarter star
Half star
-1 star
-1 star
Two stars
3.5 stars
1.5 stars
Dud
-4 stars

Yeah but it's WWE that Meltzer is super hard on and biased against, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Gotta love WCW not booking PPVs until the last minute and also having a roster full of dudes who refuse to job, leading to poo poo like a 15 minute Mike Enos/Jerry Flynn match with a DQ finish on PPV.