Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Because visible mask wearing is a highly visible contradiction to their "Mission Accomplished" banner.

edit: 137 is the section in the California Penal Code for "Offer bribe to influence testimony".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pablo Bluth posted:

Because visible mask wearing is a highly visible contradiction to their "Mission Accomplished" banner.

Yeah this is the reason. They know that covid will never be completely wiped out, but any visible signs of trying to avoid infection like masks or social distancing goes against their narrative that we won because britain stong, great na-aa-aation

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
OTOH English tourists getting yelled at to put on masks on arrival in Scotland for a holiday (assuming Scotland keeps masks longer) will be funny. These days, etc

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Problem with eggman isn't his competence, he seems to have that it's that he's an insane Randian nutjob.

Long term he's gonna be worse than Hancock because while Hancock was mostly just useless Eggman is gonna burn everything down on purpose.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Every World Cup/Euros I see that loving "50 billion women are murdered by their drunk skinhead husbands because a football exists" meme and it's bollocks, the earlier American meme it's based on is bollocks, all the studies that selectively massage stats to try to prove it are bollocks, and if they want to ban the cultural event responsible for the most domestic violence, that's Christmas and I'd be right there with them, but they never do.

Ugh, if it's bollocks it's bollocks but my hackles are up seeing Christina Hoff Somers all over that snopes article because she is many things but a neutral observer isn't one of them. As well as toxic opinions about trans women shes done Prager U videos attempting to debunk the gender pay gap for example. Which when you dig into her argument it's a prime example of one of those arguments that falls to pieces the second you say "ok, but..."

Straight away the alarm bells start ringing when they start saying "well actually, they saw women with injuries after a win" like... Surely the important bit isn't whether you can draw a line between a loss and an increase in battered women, it's that there's too many women living in unsafe abusive households because we live in a lovely toxic culture? Does sport fandom and how that operates, what it allows and what it ignores have nothing to answer for here?

Like I say, if the point about sports results doesn't stand it doesn't stand but you just know with arguments like this the shitlords will be citing the Snopes article to try and extrapolate it into a So You See Everything Is Fine Actually which is wrong in *different* ways but still awful.

I dunno what my point is here, I'm not trying to call you out, it's just citing Christina Hoff Somers is a hell of a rhetorical step that skeeves me out somehow

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 4, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Vox pops from the elderly people (most 80+ years old) in my block on the subject of opening up are that while they are for opening up, almost without exception they plan to continue to wear masks and socially distance when out shopping (and even once covid is 'over' because they appreciate not having had colds and flu this last winter and understand that mask-wearing, social distancing and hand washing all contributed to that.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah we could both treat it like the flu and also admit that there's decades worth of evidence that we should be wearing masks during flu season and haven't been washing our hands properly. Turn it into a regular health and cleanliness thing. It seems really stupid (and so sadly predictable) to throw all that away for the sake of political expediency.

Isomermaid posted:

I dunno what my point is here, I'm not trying to call you out, it's just citing Christina Hoff Somers is a hell of a rhetorical step that skeeves me out somehow
The really buried lede in that piece is that Christmas is by far the high point for domestic violence, which is a real issue, and that the "it's the sports but only those sports" (I've never seen it made for cricket unless they specifically and pointedly mention Indians or Pakistanis) arguments are deliberately trying to find something else to blame for DV root causes. Other studies that aren't her (Vasquez/Purkiss - Intimate partner violence incidence and characteristics, NDVH call volume) back that up.

I wonder what the overlap is with people who pass around the also false claim that Christmas is a high point for suicide.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Vox pops from the elderly people (most 80+ years old) in my block on the subject of opening up are that while they are for opening up, almost without exception they plan to continue to wear masks and socially distance when out shopping (and even once covid is 'over' because they appreciate not having had colds and flu this last winter and understand that mask-wearing, social distancing and hand washing all contributed to that.)

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna carry on with masks on public transport and elsewhere indoors where I can. The only "sick days" I've had since I had a nasty cold THAT WAS DEFINITELY COVID at the beginning of last year has been two bouts of tonsilitis, one caused by an overly-sharp chip and one by being a bit too enthusiastic with a test swab.

(Seriously why can't I get a tonsillectomy done as an elective procedure? I know it's a dangerous thing once you pass puberty but I'll take the chance of death over having a couple of oversensitive airbags going off every time something looks funny at the back of my throat)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We'll just have to learn to live with it... or die trying. Either way, number has to keep going up.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

RIP everyone who's not double vaxxed I guess. Feel really poo poo for everyone who is going to have to use public transport now that the govement is actively encouraging people not to wear masks or distance.

Also congratulation to eggman for making App Hancock look competent.

RIP to everyone who is double vaxed but still vulnerable who gets hit by a vaccine resistant mutation because the Brits won't wear loving masks.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah we could both treat it like the flu and also admit that there's decades worth of evidence that we should be wearing masks during flu season and haven't been washing our hands properly. Turn it into a regular health and cleanliness thing. It seems really stupid (and so sadly predictable) to throw all that away for the sake of political expediency.

But Guava, we need to Bring Back The Smile. By which I mean, bring back being able to see women with resting normal face, who I can then tell to smile more. I am very not creepy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Didn't a couple of flu strains go extinct last year due to social distancing?

Question for the thread, am I being overly doomer in thinking that maybe we shouldn't infect all children with Covid? Like doesn't this expose them to long term health problems?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna carry on with masks on public transport and elsewhere indoors where I can. The only "sick days" I've had since I had a nasty cold THAT WAS DEFINITELY COVID at the beginning of last year has been two bouts of tonsilitis, one caused by an overly-sharp chip and one by being a bit too enthusiastic with a test swab.

(Seriously why can't I get a tonsillectomy done as an elective procedure? I know it's a dangerous thing once you pass puberty but I'll take the chance of death over having a couple of oversensitive airbags going off every time something looks funny at the back of my throat)

If you genuinely got tonsillitis from a test swab, it wasn't sterile and that is kind of a big deal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If someone forced me to watch cricket I think I would definitely start killing.

Largely indiscriminately but starting with the person who made me watch cricket.

Almost as bad as golf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I will never smile even if you take the mask off, though i will at least hopefully no longer have a permanent crimp in my beard from the bottom strap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1411609037033160706?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're a journalist you work from home anyway, you don't need to go to an office to write out your syndicated blog posts.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pablo Bluth posted:

That was a one-off for the British Olympics. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish FAs are all petrified that one day FIFA might decide that, actually, there ought to be a single UK team instead of four. They begrudgingly came up with a plan for 2012 but only because it was being hosted in London. There hasn't been an entry since. We did also entry up until the 70s but that was due to a distinction between amateur and professional status which avoided the problem.

Just to be clear: Women's football exists, and there is a GB team in the Tokyo Olympics.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

The thing is, neither of those articles are about what their headlines say. The first one from 2017 was extremely performatively middle class 'oh isn't it terrible when all the poors go to the places I want to go to', and the latest one is 'actually one extra day off won't do poo poo, the system is broken and burnout is a symptom'. But headlines gotta clickbait I guess.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The 2017 one was a direct reaction to Corbyn suggesting a new bank holiday lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

the latest one is 'actually one extra day off won't do poo poo, the system is broken and burnout is a symptom'.

quote:

But, what then? What happens the following day, when we return to our desks tanned and ice-creamed, refreshed after a day looking at our phones rather than laptops? Sending emails at dawn to show we are present, that we exist, updating shared docs at midnight to show we are indispensable and really quite clever. Spending spare minutes on our second job, which is uploading memes to various social media accounts that joke about how fabulously, dangerously busy we are. How will we prevent burning out again, when we have become so accustomed to proving our worth by working? Whose responsibility should it be, to hose down our flames?

Of course, it doesn't do anything so crass as to suggest that the answer might be 'society'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

If you genuinely got tonsillitis from a test swab, it wasn't sterile and that is kind of a big deal

I scratched my tonsil with the swab, and I assume the million other horrifying diseases in my gob did the actual infecting.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Didn't a couple of flu strains go extinct last year due to social distancing?

Question for the thread, am I being overly doomer in thinking that maybe we shouldn't infect all children with Covid? Like doesn't this expose them to long term health problems?

The question isn't "should we jab kids yes/no", it's "is vaccine we keep to jab our kids better used sending abroad?". Especially given kids are less affected and damaged by covid tgat even young adults (yes, you can find exceptions. You can find exceptions to anything at the population level, Law of Large Numbers is a thing)

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1411640934081523718?s=19

It'll be interesting to see how (or, more likely, if) this lands.

IIRC the last two Labour manifestos had pretty much exactly the same policy but couched in industrial policy/creating skilled jobs/sustainable growth/social investment terms rather than naked :britain:We're Backing Britain :britain: rhetoric.

I suspect this will fall into the "why not go for the full-throated patriotic/nationalistic party rather than the one which does it at 7/10s?" hole.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/parkyparsons/status/1411441310943399941

https://twitter.com/parkyparsons/status/1411579128906670080

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

IIRC the last two Labour manifestos had pretty much exactly the same policy but couched in industrial policy/creating skilled jobs/sustainable growth/social investment terms rather than naked :britain:We're Backing Britain :britain: rhetoric.

I suspect this will fall into the "why not go for the full-throated patriotic/nationalistic party rather than the one which does it at 7/10s?" hole.

In this thread we can see how the usual suspects went loving mental when Corbyn announced the same thing:

https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1411639157655490563

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure that getting everyone making the blue passports will really make a difference.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mask on is going to be my default setting for the next few years, cuts down on other afflictions plus covid and i don't have to put on a fake half smile all the time to avoid weird looks (for some reason my resting face looks as sour as a bag of lemons even though i'm not that internally). :shrug:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The question isn't "should we jab kids yes/no", it's "is vaccine we keep to jab our kids better used sending abroad?". Especially given kids are less affected and damaged by covid tgat even young adults (yes, you can find exceptions. You can find exceptions to anything at the population level, Law of Large Numbers is a thing)

The complication is that we're only offering mRNA to younger adults and children, which is considerably less useful in the developing world than conventional vaccines because of the very low temperature storage and shipping required - there's a very limited window of countries rich enough that they have cold chain logistics at a level that would make an mRNA vaccine programme successful but poor enough that they need us to buy the vaccines themselves (and most of those are ones like, say, Belarus, where there is a very large political dimension in play as to whether they'd even accept the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines).

Of course there's no reason why we couldn't adopt a geographical rather than demographic split - take Nigeria as an example, there's no way at all that we or they could source enough cryogenic storage to roll out Pfizer across the country, but a hub-and-spoke arrangement like we're currently using for our own mass programme *could* work in Lagos and the other large cities, which of course are also much more vulnerable (and more likely to be a breeding ground for variants) than the outlying areas because of the greater population density. You can then take your time rolling out AZ or other more robust but less effective vaccines to the rest of the population who are at less risk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought the ultra cold storage was more precautionary than anything, because the whole thing was brand new, and we could start rolling out conventional cold chain in cases of greatest urgency.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BalloonFish posted:

It's a vacuous statement.
Going to make more. How and where's the money going to come from.
Sell more. To who? How are you going to make them buy whatever you are selling.
Buy more. Where's the money going to come from to buy this extra poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

If someone forced me to watch cricket I think I would definitely start killing.

Largely indiscriminately but starting with the person who made me watch cricket.

Almost as bad as golf.

Yeah I thought my luck was in when I got a boyfriend who hated football... little did I know... what is worse? 2 hours of a soccer match and associated punditry or days on end of test cricket.

I have a feeling I've posted that comment before either on here or somewhere else! Deja vu all over again. Or... :corsair:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's coming home

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also frankly do not remotely trust a blairitie with the idea of "skilling people up", the country is full of overeducated people stuck in lovely jobs, and if lovely jobs need doing they should still be paid well.

Whole thing smacks of lovely "let the market sort it out" thinking except with more throwing money at any rich idiot in the UK who promises to do a contract and making everyone get degrees, which we've already done.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Ita obvious to the point of trivial but Team gb is far from the extremes of, say, China which started with boredderline concentration camps for ping pong (to be the best is more important than in what) and these days has expanded the model to Pick Your Olympic Sport.
My old housemate used to get really mad and argue that darts players were athletes.

I pointed out that there are showmen and circus performers and so on who actually dedicate their lives to hard practice who would walk up to the oche and hit a bullseye every time. Darts players throw a few rounds while getting pissed, and then turn up and sink a few pints while stretching out a tshirt covered in logos. Hell there was that troupe of touring Shaolin Monks making more precise shots with less aerodynamic objects every night.

Guavanaut posted:

Why are they discouraging masks? I can understand wanting to end lockdowns and shop closures and distancing from a selfish economic recovery perspective, but masks seem like they'd be a benefit if you wanted to do all that with minimal consequences.
The worst is they're not discouraging them, they're just not encouraging their use. Meaning if I choose to still wear one I have to deal with Free Men of the Tesco Local lecturing me about how they don't work.

And worst of all kind of being right, because masks protect other people from the wearer, so if there are a sizeable number of people wandering round shedding the delta variant and not realising it yet / ever, and you're surrounded by them, then wearing a mask isn't really going to have much of an effect if they're all maskless.

God, Thatcher really did destroy an entire generation's ability to empathise.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 4, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I also frankly do not remotely trust a blairitie with the idea of "skilling people up", the country is full of overeducated people stuck in lovely jobs, and if lovely jobs need doing they should still be paid well.

Whole thing smacks of lovely "let the market sort it out" thinking except with more throwing money at any rich idiot in the UK who promises to do a contract and making everyone get degrees, which we've already done.
The UK has been poo poo at productivity since at least the 2008 crash, and low skills from writing off working class youth outside of the South East does seem to be a part of that. Another part seems to be the reliance on 'productivity' being a measure of selling the same hundred thousand houses to one another rather than anything of actual use, and a long tail of unproductive companies.

But that raises the wider question of whether productivity is the be all and end all. Last year saw a massive slump in productivity across all of the G7 due to the pandemic and response, but also massive reductions in suicides across most of them (estimates of ~20% drop in Japan, ~15% in Canada). Is there a connection there? Is reduced productivity a health benefit and the obsession with growth an illness? I honestly don't know there.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

It's a vacuous statement.
Going to make more. How and where's the money going to come from.
Sell more. To who? How are you going to make them buy whatever you are selling.
Buy more. Where's the money going to come from to buy this extra poo poo.

It is thoroughly vacuous. It would be too much to expect StarmLab to announce policy, announce policy that could be good and do so in a grounded and tangible way.

They're on one and a half out of three here, I suppose.

OwlFancier posted:

This too.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Sorry in advance for the vent/whine. I'm really struggling with my now not new job, been there for 4 months now. I sort of thought this thing would be my dream job but it's just...... not. I feel stressed out and drained all the time even over the weekends, a bunch of aspects of the job are super outside my comfort zone and in such a way that isn't going to get easier as I know myself reasonably well at this stage of my life. It's at the point where I'd be relieved if they fired me but I don't think they are going to do that, they seem to think I'm doing fine (also being fired would probably make getting another job much harder so probably best not to wish for that). Part of the issue is I'm supposed to be recruiting people for my team right now and I'm finding it pretty hard to try and sell the position because if I'm not happy, how the hell can I try and entice someone else into it?

What's really pushed this into the forefront of my mind is this Friday just gone me and a bunch of friends took the day off, met up (I think we were pretty safe so I don't feel guilty about that) for the first time since Feb 2020, met someone who was a friend of a friend who joined our gaming group on discord for the first time, had some beers in a park and then went for a burger and some more drinks and it was just.... fantastic but what I noticed is they're all really happy and satisfied with their jobs. Like for them, the day off was just another day that was obviously more fun, but it wasn't an oasis in a desert of misery.

As a result I've basically just spent the entirety of yesterday and most of this morning so far trying to find something much chiller and then going back and forth over whether it's loving stupid to be thinking about leaving this job so soon. The thing is I've felt this way about the last few jobs I've had, I thought they were a great opportunity and then they've turned out to not be what I want at all, beginning to think it's the type of job in general and I'd feel more happy doing something else but taking the time to work out what I actually want to do is a bit of a risk. A part of me honestly wouldn't mind just battening down the hatches, using my savings from this job so far for a few months and just going for walks/exploring a bit most days. Felt so cooped up the last year and a half.

Somewhat relevant to this current discussion and probably also contributing to my negative feelings, in a few weeks they're going to start asking people to come into the office 3 days a week, which is in my contract but in the interviews they were pretty clear about it being "when people feel comfortable" but now it seems like it's "when the bosses are bored enough of working from home" situation. I sort of felt up for it back then, mostly because I was desperate for a job I suppose but now that I've worked from home for a few months I don't really feel I'm going to get much benefit out of spending an extra couple hundred a month, that's with the new flexible season tickets even and a few hours of my day, 3 days a week just to be in the office and get some of this fabled "collaboration and that cool spark you get from all being in the same room", maybe I just don't have much faith that it'll do much good for me.

Not sure what I'm expecting in response to this, just needed to put it down somewhere and this thread has good eggs who hand out decent advice I find. Most of my friends have said "life's too short to be unhappy but it's easier to find a job while you have a job" which is generally true but does feel like I'm locking myself in for the long haul since people would probably ask why I'm looking elsewhere so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

IMHO nobody really 'loves' their job, but you find something that pays you well enough and gives you enough leave to pursue things you enjoy in your own time. I've been where I am for 10+ years now with the odd bump in pay here and there. My wife and I differ greatly in this as she's always shooting for the next step, for that next promotion and that new challenge, whereas I'm content in having a job that I don't mind with people I get on with, and doing what I want in my downtime. The grass isn't always greener, and all that