Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I hope it gets tied into their car insurance :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I hope it gets tied into their car insurance :colbert:
Man the tears would be delicious

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They already fit a box to teenager’s cars in Europe which does things like give them money back for good driving and takes away miles they are allowed to drive for bad driving - I suspect that’s what’s allowed the genie out the box on this one.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Do we know about the hilarious new EU law which will put speed limiters tied into satellites, which will automatically turn down engines to the speed limit, on all new cars?

Happy Sunday Morning!

Does it adjust for the speed limit? It geniunely be nice if cars could only do 20 on 20 roads

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

Does it adjust for the speed limit? It geniunely be nice if cars could only do 20 on 20 roads
Yeah, it's a gps and camera blending to acquire the limit, and haptic feedback if you go over (more pedal resistance and physical alarms).
I just want all school/residential zones to have mandatory radar cameras, they work amazingly well at curbstomping antisocial driving.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The pushback against this is quite interesting to read because it just gets utterly shutdown instantly. How can you argue that breaking speed limits is good actually, especially around schools.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

The pushback against this is quite interesting to read because it just gets utterly shutdown instantly. How can you argue that breaking speed limits is good actually, especially around schools.

I've heard idiots around Seattle claim that it is unsafe to go the speed limit around schools because you have to accelerate up to the speed of traffic.

:psyduck:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"Kids don't play on the street anyway they're in the school yard! Also it doesn't make exceptions for holidays or anything!" *habitually blows past school doing 70 the moment the school zone reduction hours end* "Kids never use the playground outside school they all just stay inside what's wrong with them!?!"

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

If you don’t speed through the school zone you might end up getting rear ended by someone who does!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
since shimano rotor pads seem to be reallllly expensive or just out of stock whats a good aftermarket brand? for ultegra 8070 calipers

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Kool Stop pads seem to be p OK.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

anything that fits and looks meaty.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Zwift is so stupid it doesn't mimic cycling outdoors at all!"

I gotta go visit my buddy in Sweeden he and his kids are too rad for this world.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Broadway Bomb is being live-streamed by terry barentsen if you have any interest in watching even more bike racing this summer. Not quite started but should be wild

https://m.twitch.tv/terrybarentsen

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It has begun

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Screw watching the tour this is awesome.

EDIT: ya don't hit peds no matter what. RIP.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 4, 2021

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ah gently caress

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Anybody have a favorite couch to century-type plan? My brother, who has done mostly road rides in the 25-mile range, wants to train up for a century in November.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you’re in Portland (or thereabouts) my buddy Mike is selling a 56cm Jake the Snake for $500

https://twitter.com/beaniebabyceo/status/1411781060350812163?s=21

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I made it

Everything hurts. Part of that is because I was deliberately hit by a van yesterday. He swerved into me and clipped me with his mirror and I went down, luckily I was on a climb so the speed was low. Very swollen elbow and bruised hip from that, I will get it x rayed tomorrow now I’m finished. Made today very painful but it’s finished now!

Well done, congrats! May justice happen.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Re: 50% grades. This is the only segment I've tried which has >50% grades. It's a running segment, there is no cycling segment. https://www.strava.com/segments/17932018

I made it past the first 90 degree on my mountain bike, to near the second curve when it's still in the 30s max. Lean forward and spin out, lean back to get traction and tip backwards. On my gravel bike I wouldn't be able to get as far, haven't got the torque in my quads, although the geometry would probably be better for not tipping backwards. I'd say a 50% grade counts as scenery more than a traversable surface in a cycling context. Not sure I'd make it even if I was roped to the logging machinery which the road is made for.

Another thing to add is that Strava interpolates a lot on elevation data which isn't very highly resolved. You may get some silly numbers in places that are less silly in real life.

e: case in point:

Ola fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 5, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Don't think the person in the thread talking about grades earlier uses Strava, sounds more like just a case of eyeballing grades and not knowing what a % grade actually is. I'd guess the streets in question are more likely around 10%, maybe rising to 20 in places.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vando posted:

Don't think the person in the thread talking about grades earlier uses Strava, sounds more like just a case of eyeballing grades and not knowing what a % grade actually is. I'd guess the streets in question are more likely around 10%, maybe rising to 20 in places.

Just providing some context on what 50% grade entails. Or 30% for that matter.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Ola posted:

Just providing some context on what 50% grade entails. Or 30% for that matter.

Yeah, wasn't meant as a correction, it's always a good reminder that 50% is p much "hope you brought your rock climbing gear" steep.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

highme posted:

If you’re in Portland (or thereabouts) my buddy Mike is selling a 56cm Jake the Snake for $500

https://twitter.com/beaniebabyceo/status/1411781060350812163?s=21

I tagged my wife so he can tell my stepson

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

cebrail posted:

I started the day with an involuntary 20 minute break and the realisation that this new route I was riding has one drawback: Lifting bridges are sometimes, um, lifted.

But then I rode through apple fields for hours which was pretty great.

Stopped for coffee and cake

with a view!

And found this spectacular road.

Then back across the Elbe

and onto the couch to watch other people ride bikes.

Bikes are great.

Hell yeah, very cool. I live on the other side of the Stadtpark and I don't go south of the Elbe as much as I should because of the city traffic.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Random injury question - last December, I went snowboarding for the first time in the season did and something to my knee. I felt fine on the mountain, but the next day it was quite stiff and hurt for about a week. It slowly got better and better, but still to this day if I sit cross legged for like 30 seconds or more, it's pretty difficult to stand up and straighten / weight my leg.

I did PT for a few months in the spring, and saw an ortho who gave me a cortisone shot (which did not help)

For the most part I'm fine to walk, run, and climb. However I've noticed that if I bike for 40+ minutes my knee starts to get sore on the down stroke while pedaling.

I've continued to do my PT exercises, although admittedly I'm not great about doing it every single day. I lost my job (read: health insurance) 3 months ago so I haven't been able to follow up with the ortho who wanted to do an MRI.

Just curious if any of you guys have experienced a similar problem RE soreness in the "top" of the knee? Did you find any exercises that helped?

highme
May 25, 2001

^^ Sorry, after riding a snowboard for 30+ years the one thing I've learned is "sometimes those knees are gonna just hurt"

Does anybody have any experience w/ the Yakima AnkleBiter racks for the roof? Both wheels are strapped to the long tray and then there's a bracket that locks to a crank arm for security/stability. I've been looking for something to use with my camp trailer, I've never seen these before but It looks like a decent option for a bike w/o QR. Plus this person is only asking $20 a piece. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/d/portland-yakima-anklebiter-roof-top/7331700321.html

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sab669 posted:

Random injury question - last December, I went snowboarding for the first time in the season did and something to my knee. I felt fine on the mountain, but the next day it was quite stiff and hurt for about a week. It slowly got better and better, but still to this day if I sit cross legged for like 30 seconds or more, it's pretty difficult to stand up and straighten / weight my leg.

I did PT for a few months in the spring, and saw an ortho who gave me a cortisone shot (which did not help)

For the most part I'm fine to walk, run, and climb. However I've noticed that if I bike for 40+ minutes my knee starts to get sore on the down stroke while pedaling.

I've continued to do my PT exercises, although admittedly I'm not great about doing it every single day. I lost my job (read: health insurance) 3 months ago so I haven't been able to follow up with the ortho who wanted to do an MRI.

Just curious if any of you guys have experienced a similar problem RE soreness in the "top" of the knee? Did you find any exercises that helped?

When you say top can you be more specific. Is it the part immediately above your kneecap?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, kinda where the knees meet your quads

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Did a 45 minute guided class on the indoor trainer last night for 15 miles, so I should have taken a day off today. But I'm off for the holiday, my wife is working, my daughter is at my parents for the week, and my son is old enough to be left home alone, and I wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to take a nice ride that didn't involve getting up at 6am to be back in time for work. Was just going to do laps around the airport again, and then things got weird.

Did a couple laps and decided to take the connector over to the Ohio River Trail, and took it all the way downtown.

Tooled around Sawyer Point and the serpentine wall for a bit, then headed back. The trail isn't "complete" all the way there, so I also had my first ride with traffic in almost 20 years, when I was still at the PD and doing bike patrol.

Then after I got back to the airport and did another loop, I figured "hey, lets see what's the other direction" and went east out past Coney Island and the horse racing track. Stopped at a gas station and got a peanut butter snickers and a gatorade around mile 30, then headed back.

Not bad, considering I didn't pause the GPS the few times that I stopped. Also got some use out of the off-brand camelbak that my wife bought me last year and that we both had forgotten about. It broke 100 degrees at a couple points and even though it wasn't cold anymore, it was definitely needed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Shoe Question -

I see a lot of shoes like this with an odd (to me) lace system.

https://www.amazon.com/Tommaso-Stra...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I've always used velcro. Keep in mind, I just stationary bike. How do these work? How do they tighten up?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You slip m on and then twist the knob to tighten the laces. You can use the knob during riding to tighten or loosen the strap easily, for instance before a sprint or something.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

Screw watching the tour this is awesome.

EDIT: ya don't hit peds no matter what. RIP.

wait did terry b hit someome?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Head Bee Guy posted:

wait did terry b hit someome?

No, krussia who was in the lead did like a block before the end. He was gassed and riding pretty dangerously.

The pedestrian was fine but understandably pissed and krussia felt like poo poo

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CommanderApaul posted:

Did a 45 minute guided class on the indoor trainer last night for 15 miles, so I should have taken a day off today. But I'm off for the holiday, my wife is working, my daughter is at my parents for the week, and my son is old enough to be left home alone, and I wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to take a nice ride that didn't involve getting up at 6am to be back in time for work. Was just going to do laps around the airport again, and then things got weird.

Did a couple laps and decided to take the connector over to the Ohio River Trail, and took it all the way downtown.

Tooled around Sawyer Point and the serpentine wall for a bit, then headed back. The trail isn't "complete" all the way there, so I also had my first ride with traffic in almost 20 years, when I was still at the PD and doing bike patrol.

Then after I got back to the airport and did another loop, I figured "hey, lets see what's the other direction" and went east out past Coney Island and the horse racing track. Stopped at a gas station and got a peanut butter snickers and a gatorade around mile 30, then headed back.

Not bad, considering I didn't pause the GPS the few times that I stopped. Also got some use out of the off-brand camelbak that my wife bought me last year and that we both had forgotten about. It broke 100 degrees at a couple points and even though it wasn't cold anymore, it was definitely needed.

Hey I ride in these places occasionally :3:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Time posted:

No, krussia who was in the lead did like a block before the end. He was gassed and riding pretty dangerously.

The pedestrian was fine but understandably pissed and krussia felt like poo poo

Wow who could have predicted these dorks would hit someone!

highme
May 25, 2001

Captain Log posted:

Shoe Question -

I see a lot of shoes like this with an odd (to me) lace system.

https://www.amazon.com/Tommaso-Stra...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I've always used velcro. Keep in mind, I just stationary bike. How do these work? How do they tighten up?

That's the "BOA" system, was developed AFAIK for snowboard boots. I'm not sure how each specific bike shoe works, but on snowboarding boots you twist the knob CCW to tighten and then pull it away from the boot to release tension. It would make sense that for a bike you could dial the fit in on the fly, but I prefer laces in both situations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

highme posted:

That's the "BOA" system, was developed AFAIK for snowboard boots. I'm not sure how each specific bike shoe works, but on snowboarding boots you twist the knob CCW to tighten and then pull it away from the boot to release tension. It would make sense that for a bike you could dial the fit in on the fly, but I prefer laces in both situations.

Fun fact: BOA’s MOQ is 10000pcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Samopsa posted:

You slip m on and then twist the knob to tighten the laces. You can use the knob during riding to tighten or loosen the strap easily, for instance before a sprint or something.

Ah, perfect! That's good to know. I like the thought of being able to make little adjustments without needing to completely get off the bike and dick with velcro.