Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
you should never be logged into a linux machine for long enough to need to configure a text editor. vi/vim is for editing enough system config to be able to remotely work on files on the machine from an actual desktop OS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the last time i used eclipse, probably 15 years ago, it appeared to be an incisive if sardonic philosophical commentary on the nature of abstract hierarchies and organizations. just absolutely incomprehensible bullshit where basic functionality was hidden into endless nested accessory panes with labels like “fables” and “episodes”

also an enormous amount of their developer energy went into technical underpinnings that constantly broke, like they had their own windowing toolkit built on top of native facilities. which is good because it means you get the benefit of native look-and-feel, right? and yet eclipse never felt well-integrated with the os, like i think it had its own notably inferior open/save dialogs

that all strongly suggests a degree of terrible project leadership which is really hard to overcome, so i assume it’s still basically like that

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
does anybody ever use or want all the project-management bullshit in eclipse?

I've written code for like 8 different embedded platforms that all ship Eclipse+plugin as their SDK, never once had any interest in literally 90% of eclipse's features

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Poopernickel posted:

does anybody ever use or want all the project-management bullshit in eclipse?

I've written code for like 8 different embedded platforms that all ship Eclipse+plugin as their SDK, never once had any interest in literally 90% of eclipse's features

IBM maybe

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

namlosh posted:

IBM maybe

for awhile we used their rational team concert vcs which came with an eclipse plugin that looks like

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

carry on then posted:

for awhile we used their rational team concert vcs which came with an eclipse plugin that looks like

exactly what you'd expect from a company that thought lotus notes was a great platform for `apps`

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
what if I want to chat and code at the SameTime!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao.

that mac must have run like absolute rear end

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Amethyst posted:

Why on earth would you use anything but visual studio for c#

Not vscode. Visual studio, the c# ide

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Eclipse CDT is the only IDE that can properly index the Linux kernel. Every year I check if I can get CLion to do so but so far it just isn’t possible. It is getting better though!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

I think they've stopped supporting it now but for a while their eclipse clearcase plugin was based on libraries deprecated in 2010. :laffo:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infernal machines posted:

lmao.

that mac must have run like absolute rear end

idgi

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

you should never be logged into a linux machine for long enough to need to configure a text editor.

Kazinsal posted:

vi/vim is for editing enough system config to be able to remotely work on files on the machine from an actual desktop OS

durr. just use emacs with tramp.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

carry on then posted:

eclipse is on a slow slide into irrelevancy, but i don't think any of the maintainers are interested in eclipse being anything other than what it is now so i don't see that being averted any time soon

Eclipse is mission critical in Italy, since both the finance and custom ministries use a modded eclipse as a framework for paperwork filling for citizens. It’s a definite improvement from the previous thousand Java webstart apps that worked once every ten attempts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eclipse sure is clunky, and indeed has a whole world of strange concepts it is built on, but i suspect i'll outlive a lot of IDEs and other things people love a lot more. for one it does just about everything important (while doing almost nothing really convenient) in a pretty scalable way, but mostly because tons of customizations and bespoke pieces of software are built on it which wont go away for a very long time (i.e. italy above is not at all unique).

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i liked eclipse better than netbeans

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

SlowBloke posted:

Eclipse is mission critical in Italy, since both the finance and custom ministries use a modded eclipse as a framework for paperwork filling for citizens. It’s a definite improvement from the previous thousand Java webstart apps that worked once every ten attempts.

wait what? like you file taxes by downloading some custom eclipse thing that has a bunch of forms to fill in? or is it more for businesses and poo poo? that is bizarre, what is that called?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Phobeste posted:

wait what? like you file taxes by downloading some custom eclipse thing that has a bunch of forms to fill in? or is it more for businesses and poo poo? that is bizarre, what is that called?

the "ministries" suggest that it is what covers the screen of the public servants dealing with these matters. which is one of those places where i suspect eclipse is an excellent base to build on (comes with a sensible componentization, highly configurable and scriptable, accessibility tools, has a decent deployment story built right in, etc.)

again a world of clunk that i am very happy is out of my life, but in my mind more or less joins java in the category "will do what i need without surprise traps or limitations loving me over".

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Phobeste posted:

https://www.agenziaentrate.gov.it/portale/Servizi/ServiziTrasversali/Altri/DesktopTelematico/

every form you need to compile that is not the precalculated forms(which are provided in a tablet friendly html5 site), ranging from individual citizen to huge firm, is a eclipse plugin which add the form and the verification formulas.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the "ministries" suggest that it is what covers the screen of the public servants dealing with these matters. which is one of those places where i suspect eclipse is an excellent base to build on (comes with a sensible componentization, highly configurable and scriptable, accessibility tools, has a decent deployment story built right in, etc.)

again a world of clunk that i am very happy is out of my life, but in my mind more or less joins java in the category "will do what i need without surprise traps or limitations loving me over".

it was a multimillion euro system upgrade from the previous entratel platform which was a hodgepodge of bad code running exclusively on windows, no public servant got involved in the design choices that led to eclipse used as framework beside kickbacks

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 4, 2021

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.agenziaentrate.gov.it/portale/Servizi/ServiziTrasversali/Altri/DesktopTelematico/

every form you need to compile that is not the precalculated forms(which are provided in a tablet friendly html5 site), ranging from individual citizen to huge firm, is a eclipse plugin which add the form and the verification formulas.

it was a multimillion euro system upgrade from the previous entratel platform which was a hodgepodge of bad code running exclusively on windows, no public servant got involved in the design choices that led to eclipse used as framework beside kickbacks

that's pretty cool! weird (as an american) to see a government occasionally wanting to make little things like forms better for the people who use it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The gov.uk site is pretty good iirc, or at least was in the brief period after it went up but before I moved to the states.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Eclipse CDT is the only IDE that can properly index the Linux kernel. Every year I check if I can get CLion to do so but so far it just isn’t possible. It is getting better though!

it has to be close now that clion has makefile support and the kernel can be built with the llvm toolchain. i believe the main blocker as of a few months ago were the gnu specific extensions the kernel uses, which caused the clangd based parser to fail on some macros

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Phobeste posted:

that's pretty cool! weird (as an american) to see a government occasionally wanting to make little things like forms better for the people who use it

The way us does taxes (much like banking) is pretty much incomprehensible from an euro point of view. Having a standardized, simple (and no cost to the user) way to digitally intake all the data is pretty much an immediate return of investment, rather than having to deal with multiple commercial products that might or might not provide good outputs.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

that's a whole pile of different enterprise "security" and backup programs, each of which are individually capable of murdering your machine's performance

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Plorkyeran posted:

that's a whole pile of different enterprise "security" and backup programs, each of which are individually capable of murdering your machine's performance

most of those are gone now, replaced with crowdstrike and crashplan

performance remains the same

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

The way us does taxes (much like banking) is pretty much incomprehensible from an euro point of view. Having a standardized, simple (and no cost to the user) way to digitally intake all the data is pretty much an immediate return of investment, rather than having to deal with multiple commercial products that might or might not provide good outputs.

the us has this, both behind the scenes and as a consumer-facing product. for the latter you do have to know how to do your taxes, and there’s stuff it could compute for you that it unnecessarily doesn’t, but it exists

individual states, though, no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Plorkyeran posted:

that combination on a mac that almost certainly had a mechanical hard drive and 4gb ram would be just astoundingly bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

infernal machines posted:

that combination on a mac that almost certainly had a mechanical hard drive and 4gb ram would be just astoundingly bad

the thinkpad i was issued in 2014 still had a spinning platter hard drive. made for a nice 15 minutes in the morning waiting for everything to start

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

DoomTrainPhD posted:

what's kernel coding like

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rjmccall posted:

the us has this, both behind the scenes and as a consumer-facing product. for the latter you do have to know how to do your taxes, and there’s stuff it could compute for you that it unnecessarily doesn’t, but it exists

individual states, though, no

wow. america sounds awesome

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Amethyst posted:

what's kernel coding like

It’s fine. I do embedded Linux work so my drivers tend to be very direct and to the point for a specific product and layout (for the most part.)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
just use linux

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sql-server/update-beta-program-for-sql-server-on-windows-container-is/ba-p/2516639 posted:

Update- Beta program for SQL Server on Windows container is suspended.

As you may be aware, the SQL Server on Windows Containers Beta program began in 2017. It has remained in Beta mode meant for only test and development environment until now. Due to the existing ecosystem challenges and usage patterns we have decided to suspend the SQL Server on Windows Containers beta program for foreseeable future. Should the circumstances change, we will revisit the decision at appropriate time and make relevant announcement.
Hence with immediate effect, the docker hub repos "microsoft/mssql-server-windows-express" and "microsoft/mssql-server-windows-developer" and the tags within these repos will be deleted and images from these repos will not be available for download going forward. We look forward to your continued support and feedback to help us improve.

SQL Server on Linux containers continue to be supported for production environment. This announcement only affects SQL Server on Windows container that was in Beta mode until now.

Thanks,
Amit Khandelwal
Senior Program Manager

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, that was the dumb way to run it anyway

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in other news it is 2021 and the most convenient way of running sql server 2019 on windows is by launching the linux docker image in wsl.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm excited for a future where windows server is deprecated in its entirety

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm excited for a future where windows server is deprecated in its entirety

this but all computers

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wasn't SQL Server already running and still supported on Core Server? Should there really be any difference?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm excited for a future where windows is deprecated in its entirety

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jim salter at ars joins the growing ranks of people who have never used a microsoft beta os before today

hint: they all look like this well past the release candidate stage

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

i like the part where he downloads a random game then expresses shock that the microsoft store is still an unflushed toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i like where the professional journalist posts screenshots of test-running an os which include all the chrome of his virtual machine