Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

It messes with me a bit that Americans seem to sing the national anthem before all major sporting event, even ones not featuring the national team. That just seems really weird.

I went to a baseball game and the Blue Jays were playing and someone booed the Canadian national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Aramoro posted:

It messes with me a bit that Americans seem to sing the national anthem before all major sporting event, even ones not featuring the national team. That just seems really weird.

Major? Every school sporting event from 7th grade on, every single race whether it be 4 cars on a dirt track or the indy 500, poo poo I've been to beer league hockey and softball that will do it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aramoro posted:

The US military actually targeted professional sports quite heavily in the early 2000s

That’s why at that time our troops also comes up a lot

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

iwentdoodie posted:

Major? Every school sporting event from 7th grade on, every single race whether it be 4 cars on a dirt track or the indy 500, poo poo I've been to beer league hockey and softball that will do it.

It may have changed but when I was in the Philippines they played the anthem before every movie in the theatre.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you’ve ever seen the F1 then you will know the jolly oompa Italian National anthem…. Well then.

1. Brothers of Italy,
Italy has awakened;
Scipio's helmet
she has put on her head.
Where is the Victory?
Offer her the hair;
because slave of Rome
God created her.

Chorus:
Let us unite!
We are ready to die;
Italy called.

2. We have been for centuries
stamped on, and laughed at,
because we are not one people,
because we are divided.
Let's unite under
one flag, one dream;
To melt together
Already the time has come.

3. Let's unite, let's love;
The union and the love
Reveal to the people
God's ways.
We swear to liberate
the native soil:
United, for God,
Who can beat us?

4. From the Alps to Sicily,
Everywhere is Legnano;
Every man of Ferruccio
has the heart and the hand;
the children of Italy
are called Balilla;
The sound of every church bell
calling for evening prayers.

5. They are branches that bend
the sold swords;
Already the eagle of Austria
has lost its feathers.
the blood of Italy
and the Polish blood
Drank with Cossacks
But its heart was burnt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That bio screed is wild because on one level it’s a perfectly coherent synthesis of what makes good drama, with rare insight that cuts to the heart of some real issues in fiction writing

But then on another level it’s all in defense of weird nazi bullshit and proto-chuck-tingle premises that he seems totally unironic about, plus he’s just a huge rear end in a top hat

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aramoro posted:

I always stand when they do that, because I'm pissing in a urinal.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/unclehotep/status/1410978265301409797?s=21

Maybe if you want to make a point don’t pick a guy who was 60% Percocet by the time January rolled around?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

dialhforhero posted:

Iirc the entire lineage of Hitler (nephews/nieces/half siblings or whatever) made a decision as a family to Not Have Kids Anymore because that’s a pretty hosed up legacy to have.
Didn't most or all of them assume new identities and leave the country too, because post-war a lot of people would be coming to either kill or worship them?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/unclehotep/status/1410978265301409797?s=21

Maybe if you want to make a point don’t pick a guy who was 60% Percocet by the time January rolled around?

this was my favourite from the replies

https://twitter.com/gregorykingjr/status/1411402658993381376

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

making GBS threads liquid diarrhea in my pants to own the libs.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at a civ that unlocked space tech going "gently caress you i love swiming in poo poo and drinking cabbage poo poo juice."

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

I was in San Diego some years ago and there was some kind of running/walking event with the start line just outside my hotel. And it began with everyone facing the flag and singing the national anthem at like, 7 am. Even my American friends thought that was unusual.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

making GBS threads liquid diarrhea in my pants to own the libs.

If you're already wearing the diapers it'd be rude to all the people that made them to not use them.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jkk posted:

I was in San Diego some years ago and there was some kind of running/walking event with the start line just outside my hotel. And it began with everyone facing the flag and singing the national anthem at like, 7 am. Even my American friends thought that was unusual.

In SD it honestly may have been a military 5/10k, but still weird for them to sing the anthem. We always had speakers and they'd just play it beforehand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Skwirl posted:

I stopped saying the pledge in like third grade and stopped standing for it in sixth. Got sent to the principles office once by a sub over it in high school, principal laughed and sent me back to class.

If this had been post Kaepernick I probably would have taken a knee.

Everyone goes "oh my god can you believe USA does this nazi indoctrination poo poo" but this is the universal experience. Every kid in high school deliberately snubbed the pledge because it was dumb, and I lived in loving chud central.

We even had to do the Texas pledge too :texas:

Push El Burrito posted:

I went to a baseball game and the Blue Jays were playing and someone booed the Canadian national anthem.

That's just normal in hockey. Get up to date, baseball.

Also plz no one look up the lyrics of La Marseillaise, although screaming about how you're going to slay tyrants and then die is arguably a good version of the bloodthirsty anthem

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Jul 4, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think the fact people disobey really changed anything really.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Haha so we've got compulsory prayer at six then anticommunist firearm practice at seven, but I always sneak off for a quick reefer while they play that video of the fuhrer for the other brownshirts

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Also we make pre-K kids stand for the Pledge. How well do you think a 4-year-old can resist indoctrination?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anime weirdos continue to not understand how the Japanese language works:

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1411450227752509440?s=20

It's a thread.

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1411640932781346818?s=20

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been studying Japanese for like 6 months at a half assed pace, and I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp of the language than some of the fan subs I used to watch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm concerned for slangless japanese teenagers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Someone post the screenshot from that Chrono Trigger fanslation that changed "Lord Magus" to "Magus-sama," because only the latter could properly encapsulate all the complex nuances of the relationship between Magus and his minions. I'm either bad at googling or it has been scrubbed from the internet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair sometimes it’s the Japanese who don’t get it.

Like the makers of the game 13 sentinels refuse to let the dub drop honorifics even though in a game with an English script they make no sense

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I know almost nothing about Japanese language or culture and even I know this is a loving insane thing to say.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Even loving dead-rear end Latin has new slang added daily by bored whimsical doctors and priests.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gbut posted:

Even loving dead-rear end Latin has new slang added daily by bored whimsical doctors and priests.

The idea of teenagers not creating their own slang, I don't care what nation or culture they are from, is just loony toons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watch, it turns out the Japanese script is literally using “stan” and “cancel” as loanwords like they’ve been doing for centuries

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

PhazonLink posted:

lol at a civ that unlocked space tech going "gently caress you i love swiming in poo poo and drinking cabbage poo poo juice."

Sorry you can't have FTL travel without at least one person on the flight thinking that buckling yourself into the space toilet is a violation of their personal freedom to pursue DBP (diarrhea-based propulsion)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Weebs. Weebs never change.

ne: also, I just started following this thread and it's 100% unsurprising by how quickly it moves :negative:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

gbut posted:

Well, less so by doctors since they haven't been required to learn latin for like 70 years now.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Someone post the screenshot from that Chrono Trigger fanslation that changed "Lord Magus" to "Magus-sama," because only the latter could properly encapsulate all the complex nuances of the relationship between Magus and his minions. I'm either bad at googling or it has been scrubbed from the internet.

I wonder if that was the same translation project where the modder had a huge meltdown about wanting Frog to be named "Kaeru"... which is Japanese for frog.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, less so by doctors since they haven't been required to learn latin for like 70 years now.

That might be the case in this country, but there's a lot of countries that still require it. It's easier to do international medicine without language barriers.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Reminded of watching Vinny stream Sekiro, getting to Emma's introduction, and having chat members complain about them "localizing" her name. She straight up says her name is Emma in her voice lines, and Emma is also a Japanese name.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Schubalts posted:

Reminded of watching Vinny stream Sekiro, getting to Emma's introduction, and having chat members complain about them "localizing" her name. She straight up says her name is Emma in her voice lines, and Emma is also a Japanese name.

Her name should be Ema, you gaijin swine!! The sjws win again!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cleretic posted:

I really want to know how vampires steal people's genders, but not enough to read a two thousand page novel.
The vampires bite their butts and drain their genderfluid

DUH

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Ha, I recall the absolute bafflement of a Japanese exchange student back in my high school days when I told her my sister was named Erica.

There are a finite number of mouth sounds we can come up with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Data Graham posted:

Watch, it turns out the Japanese script is literally using “stan” and “cancel” as loanwords like they’ve been doing for centuries

Nope! Instead in the original Japanese they use *checks note*... a literal equivalent Japanese slang word!

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1411471490109689859