Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nexxai posted:

without giving too much away, it's not your normal airline. it's a startup that from day one began it's life in the cloud (hurr) and so they've been doing devops properly and have zero on prem anything. and i will be going back as the enterprise architect for the entire airline, so i just get to do high-level designs of services and then hand them off to my solution architects to design in detail.

i love the company and am super excited to go back.

Big bonus of working for airlines is always the benefits of flying, though I've only known folks that work for The Big 4 3, I know regional/smaller carriers have agreements with the bigger airlines so they get benefits there as well.

My oh my how I miss flying free in the US and flying out of country for $18 (departure tax).

*edit* bleh trash snipe.

Had a phone interview today with a company that seems decent enough, will give me an OK pay raise (plus bonus which I did NOT figure into the equation at all), but their vesting period for 401k is insane at 6 years, though iirc it does have partial vesting.

As much as I want out of the MSP life, I'm not sure i can swallow a 6-year vesting period when I'm probably going to job hop once or twice more.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I deal with that situation by completely discounting the match/bonus if it has such a long vesting. Can't count on it being there and vested, it doesn't figure into my salary comparison calculations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

nexxai posted:

without giving too much away, it's not your normal airline. it's a startup that from day one began it's life in the cloud (hurr) and so they've been doing devops properly and have zero on prem anything. and i will be going back as the enterprise architect for the entire airline, so i just get to do high-level designs of services and then hand them off to my solution architects to design in detail.

i love the company and am super excited to go back.

Edit: I know I’m wrong but this was a bad joke sorry

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 2, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

MF_James posted:

Big bonus of working for airlines is always the benefits of flying, though I've only known folks that work for The Big 4 3, I know regional/smaller carriers have agreements with the bigger airlines so they get benefits there as well.

My oh my how I miss flying free in the US and flying out of country for $18 (departure tax).

*edit* bleh trash snipe.

Had a phone interview today with a company that seems decent enough, will give me an OK pay raise (plus bonus which I did NOT figure into the equation at all), but their vesting period for 401k is insane at 6 years, though iirc it does have partial vesting.

As much as I want out of the MSP life, I'm not sure i can swallow a 6-year vesting period when I'm probably going to job hop once or twice more.

My company snuck a new 401k vesting schedule on us by forcing us to sign/agree to an entirely new employee handbook as part of the timesheet process, so there we were at 4:50pm on a Friday trying to do our timesheets and go home when all of a sudden there's a "hey sign/agree to this, you can't proceed to timesheet until you do". I think it was 5 years before that or something.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Happiness Commando posted:

I deal with that situation by completely discounting the match/bonus if it has such a long vesting. Can't count on it being there and vested, it doesn't figure into my salary comparison calculations.

We've got a weird 401k vesting thing. They do the normal match up to 4% of salary. On top of that, they contribute 6% of salary with a 3-year cliff vest - if I stay three years it all vests at once, and so do future contributions. Joke's on them, I'm not leaving until I retire.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I reminded my team today that if one of the potential solutions to an issue is a complete hassle, do not present it as a solution, period. Especially if the real solution is spending some money to properly fix the issue.

My policy is to present the option I want them to take, and then two more. One of the alternatives will obviously suck. The other will be lavishly expensive and will come with enough shiny new toys to make it fun and/or enough new responsibility to qualify me for a promotion. I get the toys sometimes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sheep posted:

My company snuck a new 401k vesting schedule on us by forcing us to sign/agree to an entirely new employee handbook as part of the timesheet process, so there we were at 4:50pm on a Friday trying to do our timesheets and go home when all of a sudden there's a "hey sign/agree to this, you can't proceed to timesheet until you do". I think it was 5 years before that or something.
So that's duress and not legally enforceable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

🤣🤣🤣

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maybe in a country with enforceable labour laws, lol

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A team leader here demanded that all of his people fill out the survey about returning to the office with the response of ASAP. How this rear end in a top hat's people aren't literally and figuratively beating down the doors of HR because of poo poo like this is beyond me.

Other hits from the last few weeks:

Everyone needs to account for their time on the weekends if they're going to be more than an hour away from home, even when they're not oncall.

Everyone needs to have all alerts sent to their phones, even when they're not oncall, and must at least respond via email. Even when not oncall.

Double statement intentional.

I was chatting with my own team lead about it (their morale directly impacts our ability to get the poo poo we need), and he said about the survey "I'd never require you guys to do that". I said "I know, and I know you know exactly how I'd respond to something like that".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arquinsiel posted:

"law" is Communism and un-American

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Is this the same team leader that used to make people have a webcam on them 100% of the time when they were WFH so he could "keep an eye on them and make sure they're working" ?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Is this the same team leader that used to make people have a webcam on them 100% of the time when they were WFH so he could "keep an eye on them and make sure they're working" ?

Probably, lol.

He likes to ensure he's the smartest person in the room wherever he goes.

The problem with that is...

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

AlexDeGruven posted:

A team leader here demanded that all of his people fill out the survey about returning to the office with the response of ASAP. How this rear end in a top hat's people aren't literally and figuratively beating down the doors of HR because of poo poo like this is beyond me.

Everyone needs to account for their time on the weekends if they're going to be more than an hour away from home, even when they're not oncall.

Everyone needs to have all alerts sent to their phones, even when they're not oncall, and must at least respond via email. Even when not oncall.

I was chatting with my own team lead about it (their morale directly impacts our ability to get the poo poo we need), and he said about the survey "I'd never require you guys to do that". I said "I know, and I know you know exactly how I'd respond to something like that".

How does everyone not just quit more or less immediately? Too many options in this economy

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

i am a moron posted:

How does everyone not just quit more or less immediately? Too many options in this economy

The market is weird sometimes. I couldn't jump short notice without taking a big cut or losing my current full-time remote status.

Most of them are scrambling to GTFO, though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm surprised that more people don't start a collection to pay someone to shank managers like that in the parking lot.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm surprised that more people don't start a collection to pay someone to shank managers like that in the parking lot.

:drat:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Collateral Damage posted:

Jimmy Hoffa that motherfucker.

Or wasn't that the point of unions?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jeoh posted:

maybe in a country with enforceable labour laws, lol
I mean you enforce them by actually objecting to the lovely behaviour but if you're not gonna start there :shrug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AlexDeGruven posted:

gently caress ALL that with a rusty flaming razordick, sideways.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Darchangel posted:

gently caress ALL that with a rusty flaming razordick, sideways.

Yup

(mostly) Not my company, not my problem, fortunately.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I did not get paid on Friday. Well, I did I guess, but my direct deposit got deposited directly into someone else's account. An HR manager (not even my HR person, one from a different site) forwarded an email thread where "I" requested a direct deposit change.

I pointed out that no one contacted me directly, the email address was from Czechoslovakia, the form was missing my SSN or HRID, and it wasn't even signed. HR came back with "we aren't trained to recognize this type of scam." I pulled the logs from LAST MONTH'S phishing training and the emails I sent to the VPHR showing where her people failed and where she insisted that they didn't need remedial training because their internal HR processes would protect them.

I'm so loving mad, but at the same time, it's a good thing it was me and not some agent that would get swept under the rug.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Slate Slabrock posted:

HR came back with "we aren't trained to recognize this type of scam." I pulled the logs from LAST MONTH'S phishing training and the emails I sent to the VPHR showing where her people failed and where she insisted that they didn't need remedial training because their internal HR processes would protect them.

The whole thing overall is obviously awful but this part is extremely :discourse:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Slate Slabrock posted:

I did not get paid on Friday. Well, I did I guess, but my direct deposit got deposited directly into someone else's account. An HR manager (not even my HR person, one from a different site) forwarded an email thread where "I" requested a direct deposit change.

I pointed out that no one contacted me directly, the email address was from Czechoslovakia, the form was missing my SSN or HRID, and it wasn't even signed. HR came back with "we aren't trained to recognize this type of scam." I pulled the logs from LAST MONTH'S phishing training and the emails I sent to the VPHR showing where her people failed and where she insisted that they didn't need remedial training because their internal HR processes would protect them.

I'm so loving mad, but at the same time, it's a good thing it was me and not some agent that would get swept under the rug.

Please god let this have consequences

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
A former coworker of mine had her check garnished completely out of the blue. Upon checking with HR as to why the gently caress half her paycheck was suddenly gone, the HR person just sends her the document they received requesting garnishment. Which had name, address, SSN, all the good PII details you'd want to protect.

Yeah, only the first/last name matched. Despite working for the company for years, the HR person never checked the SSN, nor the address at a basic level. While the company had a lot of remote employees, the coworker had lived in the same place for years, never changed her address and the address on the form was literally across the country. Apparently the wage garnishment place literally googled up the coworker's name and sent it to the first place with a result. HR did zero checking.

I know she eventually got it straightened out, and due to that job being in a healthcare-related field I also made sure she reported the HR person as an incident (as she shared the other random lady's PII without consent) but no consequences. :(

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

lmao

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm sure there are some talented people in HR but I've yet to meet one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I met her back in 2005, and ever since then I miss the person who always apologised if she gave me less than a week's notice for a new hire setup when she could have given me 24 hours and it'd be fine :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If these are all internal HR departments loving up this badly I guess it's further fodder for "no company except for HR companies has "HR" as their core competency, and the work is literally redundant across companies, so outsource the goddamn HR"

If they're not though, lmao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Those are called staffing services, and they are worse. Imagine your manager not being about to talk directly to hr about this poo poo when it happens

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I had a similar story lately. Dispute working for my.current company for 7 years, I recently got an email asking me to confirm the names and ssns for all my dependents.

It was from a third party vendor, not named after anything I have heard related to our benefits or portal

We have a benefits portal we make changes to and all that info is saved

I've worked here for 7 years and everyone has been just fine on my plan the entire time

The email was so generic, not even using my name or even the company name.

So I reported it as a phishing attempt and got no less then three emails from fairly high up people telling me it was a perfectly fine email and not to worry. The to e was coming across as a bit annoyed since I guess a number of people did the same

I mean, this is EXACTLY the stuff you look out for, why are you so surprised? I let them know as much and never heard a follow up

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
HR departments are reliably terrible at even the core functions of the role.
Be glad you’re not at my company where the HR department has grown by over 500% and they inject themselves into basically every process as gatekeepers and just jam everything up because they’re allowed to wield insane amounts of power for some reason.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I wonder if the good hr person is like the mythical good cop. They might start that way, but the job and their coworkers either twist them or drive them out within 5 years.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Be glad you’re not at my company where the HR department has grown by over 500% and they inject themselves into basically every process as gatekeepers and just jam everything up because they’re allowed to wield insane amounts of power for some reason.

s/HR/InfoSec/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

I met her back in 2005, and ever since then I miss the person who always apologised if she gave me less than a week's notice for a new hire setup when she could have given me 24 hours and it'd be fine :unsmith:

I wish I'd had someone like her when I was doing small company IT. At the design studio I finally broke the resistance to getting a formal procedure in place by one of my favorite tactics: public humiliation. Tuesday morning an executive, the he dimwit, and a stranger walk up to my desk. HR introduces $NEWPERSON and says she'll need a laptop, email, and a phone. I looked her right in the eye and said "That's amazing work, you've gotten a headcount approved, advertised and interviewed for the position, made an offer, and gotten the candidate onsite and it isn't even 10am yet." Then I turned to the executive and told him they newbie could have email and a phone number this afternoon, but I'd have to order a laptop. And I dusted off my last proposal for an SLA and a proper procedure and sent that around again before setting up the email account or touching the PBX.

At $BIGCOMPANY we have different problems. The old HR system was old, creaky, and duct taped to the systems it needed to integrate with (Active Directory most importantly). But it mostly worked and there were systems to resubmit a new hire that usually worked fast enough that almost nobody started without an AD account and therefore a working computer. Enter Workday.

I could stop there, really. The customization side of the project was fine, they couldn't fix the horrid UX, but our stuff was in there. The integration side however was done by multiple small teams scattered throughout global IT. poo poo was broke y'all. And new hire setups took many more tries and many more days to complete.

Then we hired a new SVP of HR. It took a week for her to be able to log in to her laptop. It took three months for all the separate teams to get their poo poo together and make the integration work.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Yes, actually there are consequences. HR refunded my pay to the stupid pay card that everyone is issued (in case you don't have a bank account) and it consequenced me $5.00 to transfer it to my bank.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Slate Slabrock posted:

Yes, actually there are consequences. HR refunded my pay to the stupid pay card that everyone is issued (in case you don't have a bank account) and it consequenced me $5.00 to transfer it to my bank.

I would be unironically fighting them for 5 more bucks in my next paycheck.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AlternateAccount posted:

that role is taken by marketing in mine.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ghostlight posted:

that role is taken by marketing in mine.

Does marketing also fail phishing tests at 50%+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can’t fail phishing tests if you never have them.