Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
My Dad flys a US flag on his house Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veteran's Day. I was talking about this to a flag worshiping conservative coworker some years back and he asked me with concern how he stores the flag when not in use. I told him he just rolls it up and sets it against a wall. He then asked if it has even fallen down to the ground. I answered that one day I found it slipped out of the holder on the front of the house and I just brushed it off and remounted it. He told me that flag shouldn't be flown and we should burn it a buy a new one. I told him that sounds like a huge waste of money, but he shook his head and said "that's not a real flag anymore."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did he ever stop shaking his head?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You have to store it folded thirteen times into a triangle otherwise the flag juice leaks out.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Vinny the Shark posted:

My Dad flys a US flag on his house Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veteran's Day. I was talking about this to a flag worshiping conservative coworker some years back and he asked me with concern how he stores the flag when not in use. I told him he just rolls it up and sets it against a wall. He then asked if it has even fallen down to the ground. I answered that one day I found it slipped out of the holder on the front of the house and I just brushed it off and remounted it. He told me that flag shouldn't be flown and we should burn it a buy a new one. I told him that sounds like a huge waste of money, but he shook his head and said "that's not a real flag anymore."

Honestly if you're not willing to follow some silly rules about ritualistic care for an object, it's not special enough to get its own holiday.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Raising the flag at Iwo Jima cancelled because the solider carrying it tripped

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vinny the Shark posted:

(i)The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j)No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The flag is a living thing and yet you deface it by writing lovely memes all over it. Not so pro-life now huh? :smug:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I lived in DC during the tea party protest years and had a fun time IRL trolling chuds with flag code violations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

A GigaChud I know paid like $4K to have the American flag airbrushed on his massive garage door.

He proudly posted pictures in the Facebook group we belonged to, and we about died laughing.

You see, it was actually the Liberian flag.

He flew into a rage when we pointed it out. "It's stylized! The full flag would have taken too much time!"

Yeah... stylized in the style of Liberia

So now anytime he's saying something ridiculous, we just tell him go recite the Liberian national anthem.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I will follow flag rules to the grave but mask rules can go gently caress yourselves. I’ll shoot you if you try to make me wear a mask.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing that's always been most interesting to me is poorly maintained American flag displays.

And I feel like this says a lot about American Patriotism.

Yeah, very few of the Look How American and Patriotic I Am crowd seems to give much of a poo poo at all about the flag code - assuming they even know about it - which is odd because these types are usually the first ones to take offense at liberals saluting troops wrong, laying a wreath down improperly or fake images of Obama pledging allegiance with the wrong hand on his heart and poo poo like that.

EDIT:

Also, the Thin Blue Line flag on your vehicle is such an rear end kissing suck up move to me and seems like the sort of thing CHUDS would be opposed to: coddling up and ceding power to government, state sanctioned, heavily armed authority that wants to trample on your rights and freedom by hassling you for no reason. I notice when it's on a windshield they always put it on the driver's side on the rear to ensure Mr Cop gets a nice clear look at it when he pulls you over and approaches your car.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 4, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

You have to store it folded thirteen times into a triangle otherwise the flag juice leaks out.

Yeah, every flag has a finite amount of Freedom Juice

poo poo: double post

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The American flag looks like a circus clown's underwear, there I said it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Did he ever stop shaking his head?

Legend says he still shaking his head to this day.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

World Famous W posted:

I see far less confederate flags now (in Alabama) then when I was a child. Still waaaaay to many though

You reminded me that I still hate going to Danville and seeing the giant Confederate flag billboard that welcomes you to "The Last Capital of the Confederacy" alongside the enormous Confederate flag flying on a flagpole beside it. Plenty of people still flying it along the early stretches of 58 when you get into the city too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, the Thin Blue Line flag on your vehicle is such an rear end kissing suck up move to me and seems like the sort of thing CHUDS would be opposed to: coddling up and ceding power to government, state sanctioned, heavily armed authority that wants to trample on your rights and freedom by hassling you for no reason. I notice when it's on a windshield they always put it on the driver's side on the rear to ensure Mr Cop gets a nice clear look at it when he pulls you over and approaches your car.

This is what I always rub in their face. That that are siding with the people that would be confiscating their guns, taking their kids away, siding with their ex in some DV dispute, wiring every petty and rent seeking fines and fees that they could manage.

But they think the cops are always going to be on their side, which must make it very convenient for authorities when chuds get investigated fur assault or murder and are extremely 'helpful' to the cops in giving their side of the story.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

HootTheOwl posted:

The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked with this poo poo (not you Hoot).

OR

Wearing a replica of a living flag over your heart is Pure and Good and What Jeezus Would Have Done, but North Koreans wearing a Kim lapel badge in the same place is communist poo poo for loving commies and Why Haven't We Invaded Yet.

Seriously, Americans' (as an amorphous mass (which many of them are heyooooo)) lack of cognitive dissonance wrt this stuff just amazes me. Mandate that people stand and recite a pledge of allegiance to a loving flag (but Don't Tell Me What To Do), mandate that people salute the flag and wear pins (but Other Places That Do That Are Evil), etc.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Libra posted:

If you want a laugh, go check out the flag of the British East India Company (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company)

Yes, the US flag is just a dye-rip of that, but with the icons of the States quartered instead of the icon of the UK

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Libra posted:

Stars only come out at night, so why have it on blue?!! should be black or least darker shade of blue.
And they are all in a line! No stars are in a line, get it right!
And too many stripes! How many, 50?
Hard to draw that poo poo, keep it minimal, like 2 or 3 stripes.
And no yellow it. All the best flags have yellow.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I followed all those steps, but it doesn't look right.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

happyhippy posted:

Stars only come out at night, so why have it on blue?!! should be black or least darker shade of blue.
And they are all in a line! No stars are in a line, get it right!
And too many stripes! How many, 50?
Hard to draw that poo poo, keep it minimal, like 2 or 3 stripes.
And no yellow it. All the best flags have yellow.

make the arrangement of stars randomly generated for every single flag made or printed. Use 4 R Troops as the seed!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

This is filling up my timeline today. It is your standard poo poo (if you don’t love it, leave it; don’t disgrace the flag; taking down our statues; they are trying to undo everything Dear Leader did; etc).

Although this is the first time I can remember someone making GBS threads on Bruce Springsteen. Apparently, Staind made him insanely stupid early on in life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnNJv5yNZjE

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

the_steve posted:

Nah, they just sincerely believe that Under God was always in the original, just like all money always had "In God We Trust" and that wasn't just something they slapped on during the Cold War.

It was that way when they were children and that is fundamentally the same thing as "always" to them.

Also the flag being a living thing sounds Catholic as hell to me.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 5, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Orange Devil posted:

It was that way when they were children and that is fundamentally the same thing as "always" to them.

Also the flag being a living thing sounds Catholic as hell to me.

And yet loads of americans will ask "are they christian or are they catholic?"

Curious

(and Klannish)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gee, almost like capitalism dragged its feet on the HIV vaccine because it didn't find it profitable enough or something crazy like that...

And of course, I'm not a medical researcher but I know finding a vaccine for the common cold or for cancer is not nearly as easy as these brain geniuses seem to think it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
mRNA technology developed over the past 40 years has yielded a promising vaccine candidate for HIV-1 after the huge funding boost that the past year gave the field, as well as possible gene therapies for some cancers. The HPV vaccine greatly reduces the risk of cervical cancer.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

mRNA technology developed over the past 40 years has yielded a promising vaccine candidate for HIV-1 after the huge funding boost that the past year gave the field, as well as possible gene therapies for some cancers. The HPV vaccine greatly reduces the risk of cervical cancer.

I was about to say that mRNA vaccines may be able to create a vaccine for HIV. Also, cancers are caused by a poo poo ton of different factors including genetic, viral and environmental. I doubt that there is any cure for cancer that does not involve gene editing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I was about to say that mRNA vaccines may be able to create a vaccine for HIV. Also, cancers are caused by a poo poo ton of different factors including genetic, viral and environmental. I doubt that there is any cure for cancer that does not involve gene editing.

And there are hundreds of varieties of "cancer", each of which would need its own vaccine. To say nothing of cancers caused by environmental hazards such as asbestos, you can't vaccinate against tiny razor blades slicing your DNA into malignant mutant fragments.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also, the original Revolutionary flag of New York is hilarious:

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 5, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Almost like paying reparations and educating your children goes a long way without needing to blame them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Remember when Fukushima happened and tons of people were going "revenge for Pearl Harbor" on facebook

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Gee, almost like capitalism dragged its feet on the HIV vaccine because it didn't find it profitable enough or something crazy like that...

Eh, if it were easy, they'd have already made a vaccine for HIV. The problem is that it infects the same system that is responsible for killing it, so it's not exactly a trivial thing to make. There are diseases that are more difficult to create vaccines for than others.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mllaneza posted:

you can't vaccinate against tiny razor blades slicing your DNA into malignant mutant fragments.

yet

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Libra posted:

God drat.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Forwarded emails now in music form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5mrpSb9Mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It is the quickest way to make a buck for musicians. Get a “patriotic but sad” song to go viral and you can make a bunch of money quickly.