Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

clean ayers act posted:

The times has an article on a situation with Rachel Nichols and Maria Taylor regarding NBA finals coverage that i had no idea was going on. The TLDR is that apparently Nichols contract had wording in it that made it seem like she was supposed to host the NBA finals, but ESPN decided to give it to Taylor for the 2020 playoffs. Nichols went off while talking to Lebron's agent suggesting that Taylor was getting the job because of "diversity" on the phone but forgot that her camera was on. The video was stored on ESPN servers and an employee sent it around which caused lots of issues as one might imagine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/04/sports/basketball/espn-rachel-nichols-maria-taylor.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Yikes. Taylor is so good at that job too.

would also explain why ESPN has been leaking a bunch to stories about Taylor having insane contract demands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Couldn't Mike Greenberg host the NBA Finals? Has ESPN considered this?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
LeBron’s business advisor or whatever the gently caress had the worst quote though

quote:

In a recording of the video obtained by The New York Times, Nichols and Mendelsohn paused for a moment during the conversation after Nichols said she planned to wait for ESPN’s next move. Mendelsohn, who is white, then said: “I don’t know. I’m exhausted. Between Me Too and Black Lives Matter, I got nothing left.” Nichols then laughed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Adun posted:

LeBron’s business advisor or whatever the gently caress had the worst quote though

lmao

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1411686448948994050

:hai:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
ESPN’s studio basketball coverage has been really minimal and bad during the playoffs at minimum, I’m curious if they are slashing those segments down partially due to this

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That article is definitely required reading and the only positive takeaways from it are that I have a better opinion of woj and Jalen now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1411687626587971588

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It sounds like a tough break for her; sounds like she possibly had a legitimate grievance if ESPN is actually disregarding her contract. While it’s unfortunate for her to frame it as a race thing, it doesn’t seem like something that’s beyond the pale to spitball about in a private conversation.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

General Dog posted:

It sounds like a tough break for her; sounds like she possibly had a legitimate grievance if ESPN is actually disregarding her contract. While it’s unfortunate for her to frame it as a race thing, it doesn’t seem like something that’s beyond the pale to spitball about in a private conversation.

It's ok to casually espouse racist beliefs in private conversations?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kibner posted:

It's ok to casually espouse racist beliefs in private conversations?

What was the racist belief espoused? It seems she was expressing frustration with and questioning the motivations of her bosses, not with her coworkers. The idea that ESPN management might do dumb things doesn’t seem inherently racist or especially controversial.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 4, 2021

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

General Dog posted:

What was the racist belief espoused?

That Taylor only got the job because she was black.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this is like every movie where the older more successful woman is jealous of her younger, hotter competition but then they realize their real enemy are the executives pitting them against each other and come together to teach them a lesson

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Rachel Nichols does not come across like she actually likes basketball. She is definitely good at what she does I guess. I don’t have an opinion of Maria Taylor one way or another but espns basketball coverage is wretched especially when you put it next to TNT.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

General Dog posted:

What was the racist belief espoused? It seems she was expressing frustration with and questioning the motivations of her bosses, not with her coworkers. The idea that ESPN management might do dumb things doesn’t seem inherently racist or especially controversial.

But she never seems to think her eventual success isn’t the result of the same process. Her hard work just got her there despite not thinking highly of the higher ups

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mistermojo posted:

this is like every movie where the older more successful woman is jealous of her younger, hotter competition but then they realize their real enemy are the executives pitting them against each other and come together to teach them a lesson

Not really, This is standard white person behavior where they think there is no way a black person could have actually been better than them to get the job, and instead it must be affirmative action/diversity/quotas or whatever other loving thing they need to tell themselves to make themselves feel oppressed and not to blame.

If it was just about the loving contract, then you should go to your representation and lawyers and fight it out there. But nope, straight to "she's black so she got the job"

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

My favorite part was her characterizing someone talking the recording that she uploaded to the server by leaving her camera on as a spy video of her alone in her hotel room like this is an Erin Andrews situation. Playing the victim card when someone leaks your lovely racist conversation that you thought was private reveals even more about your true character.

quote:

Nichols said the recording of the video by an ESPN colleague was hurtful. “I was shaken that a fellow employee would do this, and that other employees, including some of those within the N.B.A. project, had no remorse about passing around a spy video of a female co-worker alone in her hotel room,” she said, adding, “I would in no way suggest that the way the comments came to light should grant a free pass on them being hurtful to other people.”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo posted:

Not really, This is standard white person behavior where they think there is no way a black person could have actually been better than them to get the job, and instead it must be affirmative action/diversity/quotas or whatever other loving thing they need to tell themselves to make themselves feel oppressed and not to blame.

If it was just about the loving contract, then you should go to your representation and lawyers and fight it out there. But nope, straight to "she's black so she got the job"

Maybe it’s baseless, but everyone is going to reach for straws to justify why they got snubbed professionally. Nobody wants to believe they just weren’t good enough. So I think it’s a tough beat to reach for that when venting to a friend or acquaintance and then have it publicized and get castigated for it. I don’t think it’s evidence of extraordinary racial animus in her heart. Maybe just the ordinary kind.

On the other hand, you gotta know there’s a risk in anything you say out loud to anyone.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 4, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

General Dog posted:

Maybe it’s baseless, but everyone is going to reach for straws to justify why they got snubbed professionally. Nobody wants to believe they just weren’t good enough. So I think it’s a tough beat to reach for that when venting to a friend or acquaintance and then have it publicized and get castigated for it. I don’t think it’s evidence of extraordinary racial animus in her heart. Maybe just the ordinary kind.

Do I think she's out here dropping the word "friend of the family" and poo poo, no, but this type of bullshit is literally how racism festers and operates in professional spaces like this.

"oh well you're only in the 'gifted' program because you're black for affirmative action"

"Diversity hire"

You don't think these things said behind closed doors don't make their way to the person they are talking about. Because I can tell you from loving experience they do in one way or another.

I don't know her loving heart, I don't particularly care, the effect of these discussions and trying to cope using racist bullshit is well racist.

It's no different than people blaming Mexicans and immigrants for taking their jobs or whatever racist poo poo.

It's all loving racist even if you aren't literally calling people slurs.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Probably the most important takeaway is that espn loving sucks, which we all already knew

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo posted:

You don't think these things said behind closed doors don't make their way to the person they are talking about. Because I can tell you from loving experience they do in one way or another.

It certainly made it back to her in this case

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

General Dog posted:

It certainly made it back to her in this case

That video had been circulating around for at least a year. Everyone probably knew about it, if not saying anything

Nu Deadspin literally wrote an article about how someone was peddling it.

https://twitter.com/MicahSharon2013/status/1411691916270260226

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Woj on the other hand, a complete Legend

https://twitter.com/TylerIAm/status/1411702183884693504

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Poor locker room culture at ESPN

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/NBSSportsHour/status/1411681936242888710

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WOJ trying to help in the dorkiest way possible.

Good for him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bismack Billabongo posted:

That article is definitely required reading and the only positive takeaways from it are that I have a better opinion of woj and Jalen now.

Jalen is not very good at talking about basketball on TV but he always seems like a really good dude.

That show is dire but it's not because of anything Taylor does, Jalen is just a bad fit for it and Jay Williams is a dummy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

That video had been circulating around for at least a year. Everyone probably knew about it, if not saying anything

https://twitter.com/lppny/status/1411702943708033027?s=19

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nichols blaming a black person getting her spot on Diversity, while never once considering that she may have gotten her job because she’s white. It’s classic workplace racism that’s been around for decades. This is what all the racists do while claiming they’re not racist because they don’t use those bad words.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Maria Taylor and/or her representatives getting this published a few weeks before her contract is up AND immediately after the Post had a hit piece about her demanding “Stephen A money” is a great move though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

lol I forgot this "nothing that could be construed as being a phony ally" hmm

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

only one I'm really shocked at is DiCaro, she's liberal as fuuuuuck, but I generally respect her opinion on poo poo. From when she was more chicago focused.

But yeah lmao, gently caress everyone who listened to that call, and didn't think there was anything wrong.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I don't think Maria Taylor is coming back to ESPN

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AsInHowe posted:

I don't think Maria Taylor is coming back to ESPN

apparently she turned down a $5 mil a year offer before the pandemic and now ESPN is only offering her $3, so yeah i'd say she's gone

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tailgating, the new rimjob

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Ah gently caress
http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/sinclair/sinclair-reportedly-bidding-for-nbcs-regional-sports-networks.html

At least it seems Awful Announcing dialed down the ads on my phone.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dexo posted:

Are there seriously 4 names on that byline? :psyduck:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Are there seriously 4 names on that byline? :psyduck:

Everyone needs to get in there, to sign off on that Clinton/Warren line

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1412145201888497664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/PrologueBlack/status/1412160613468590083