Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Development posted:

when you trim the flat how much fat do you leave on?

About a quarter inch. It could be because I switched from Choice to Prime, but there was no comparing the packer I did yesterday to the flats in terms of fat content.

After scarfing slices earlier in the day, for dinner I made a sandwich with the chopped dry pieces pan fried with some excess fat and a little BBQ sauce and it was a goddamn revelation. Makes me think I should try burnt ends next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Hasselblad posted:

Can we agree that doing a brisket at 325 is a bit... bad? Juicy is not the only thing aimed for.

Have you done one at that temp? I mean, I wouldn’t say it was bad until I’d tried it. I did, and it was almost identical to my other ones: delicious (For me and my wife, I’m no pro). It isn’t the temperature I shoot for every time, but it allows you to do a sizable cut during daylight hours and be done by dinner.

Just google hot and fast brisket.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hasselblad posted:

Can we agree that doing a brisket at 325 is a bit... bad? Juicy is not the only thing aimed for.

If the results are great, hot and fast isn't a bad thing at all.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Texas Monthly posted:

DV: The old adage “If you’re looking you ain’t cooking” doesn’t apply to you?

[John Mueller]: I don’t believe in that. Not when you’re burning 400 degrees.

DV: Is that the temp you run?

JM: I don’t know. It’s close.

People enjoy the man's brisket. Might be a good one for Kenji or some other nerd to look into.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Share some pics of your setup pls

From far back so you can get a perspective on size:

Here's what I'm doing to prop up some grates under the flue to smoke meat:

I took this from the side so you can see how long front chamber is wrt the back chamber. I have a lot of room there for something like 2-zone cooking:

ZombieCrew posted:

Your oven is not designed to smoke. Its a pizza oven. It gets HOT with notes of wood flavor. A smoker has the heat and smoke come from below the product you are smoking in a low and slow fashion. 225 to 275F. If your are burning wood at the same level the product is, then all the smoke skips the meat and goes out the chimeny.

A cardboard box is designed to transport things but people smoke meat with them too. Or, to turn this around, metal smokers can't smoke meat because they were conceived from oil rig gear from the early 20th century. They can only impart the flavor of crude oil at best.

Like, you're telling me what I'm producing is unicorns and fairy dust. My post was about the success I finally have from figuring it out. You're outright denying this as if I am posting from another reality. I just don't get it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Well I for one think your pizza oven is super cool. How did you make it?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I can’t comment specifically on your pizza oven other than to say it looks pretty cool, but the rest of your outdoor space is baller and I’m jealous. That’s similar to what I want one day

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I did my part with SV burnt ends, 2hr smoke. corn and watermelon

Development
Jun 2, 2016

separated the point from the flat and put them on our little pellet grill at 225

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Remotely tender?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Broth injection was a success. Took about 17 hours total at 225, and was the most tender I've made yet.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Some ribs. Pulled pork still cooking

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Development posted:

separated the point from the flat and put them on our little pellet grill at 225

Looks beautiful, but a full packer fits on my eensy Traeger.

I’ve never had good results separating. Yours looks good though.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A cardboard box is designed to transport things but people smoke meat with them too. Or, to turn this around, metal smokers can't smoke meat because they were conceived from oil rig gear from the early 20th century. They can only impart the flavor of crude oil at best.

Like, you're telling me what I'm producing is unicorns and fairy dust. My post was about the success I finally have from figuring it out. You're outright denying this as if I am posting from another reality. I just don't get it.

Im not denying anything. I thought your sentence of "i had a hard time imparting smoke flavor" was more of a question for advice. Im paraphrasing because i dont want to quote and then delete 99% of the post.

If this works for you then that is awesome. Im not tryin to knock what you built or the way you use it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm thinking about buying some variety of kamado grill. The Vision Grills Kamado that Home Depot sells seems like it should be good enough for casual use, but I'd like some input from the thread on if there's a reason to be spending ~$1600+ on something like the Kamado Joe , Big Green Egg, etc.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MetaJew posted:

I'm thinking about buying some variety of kamado grill. The Vision Grills Kamado that Home Depot sells seems like it should be good enough for casual use, but I'd like some input from the thread on if there's a reason to be spending ~$1600+ on something like the Kamado Joe , Big Green Egg, etc.

Upfront, I don’t know anything about the vision grill. But ceramic parts crack over time do to heating and cooling cycles. The lifetime warranty on BGE and Joe’s are nice to replace those. I just pop down to my local ACE with the broken piece and walk out with another. If it’s got a good warranty, go for it. Pretty sure they all cook about the same.

Hasselblad posted:

Remotely tender?

Nope, straight up beef jerky /s

Try it sometime man. The method wouldn’t have its own name if it wasn’t good. I wouldn’t do it with any lean cuts of meat (pork loin, brisket flat) but it works really well with any and all ribs and packer briskets.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Chemmy posted:

Looks beautiful, but a full packer fits on my eensy Traeger.

I’ve never had good results separating. Yours looks good though.

thanks dude! way back we were inspired by you to get one and have been getting good mileage out of the lil' dude. Our main problem is that it's trash at maintaining temperature and constantly will overshoot (set it for 225....ope it's up to 280).

I will say that the SRF gold brisket was worth every dollar.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah the last time I made a full brisket I was adjusting the little temperature knob and opening the door occasionally.

Having a Smoke so I can wirelessly see the temp is helpful.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The wife bought me a coffee rub so I decided to do a pepper stout beef because I figured those profiles work well together and I swear to god I'm going to eat it way before I'm supposed to. Also bought a thermoworks signals since I got grill envy from the guy that was posting his charts earlier. Anyways happy 4th!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone have experience replacing the gaskets on a BGE? Mine is in poor repair but I’ve been putting off doing the replacement because I’m sort of worried about loving it up. (Turning the straight gasket tape into a circle weighs on my mind, for example.)

I’d like to have it fixed up for a smoke this coming weekend, so I’ll have to face it sooner rather than later.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bob A Feet posted:

Upfront, I don’t know anything about the vision grill. But ceramic parts crack over time do to heating and cooling cycles. The lifetime warranty on BGE and Joe’s are nice to replace those. I just pop down to my local ACE with the broken piece and walk out with another. If it’s got a good warranty, go for it. Pretty sure they all cook about the same.

That's an interesting point about the warranty. I would believe it if the vision grill warranty wasn't as good. I'll have to look it up later.

The annoying thing about the BGE and Kamado Joe to a lesser extent is on top of the higher retail price you may still have to buy a lot more accessories that appear to come standard with the Vision grill.

Is there a recommended retailer for BGE or Kamado Joe or any sales that come around for these?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone have experience replacing the gaskets on a BGE? Mine is in poor repair but I’ve been putting off doing the replacement because I’m sort of worried about loving it up. (Turning the straight gasket tape into a circle weighs on my mind, for example.)

I’d like to have it fixed up for a smoke this coming weekend, so I’ll have to face it sooner rather than later.

It’s pretty easy. The bend is gradual enough that it’s not a big deal. Mine are probably due for a second replacement but I just keep the upper vent more closed to allow for the air seeping out the gasket.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

MetaJew posted:

That's an interesting point about the warranty. I would believe it if the vision grill warranty wasn't as good. I'll have to look it up later.

The annoying thing about the BGE and Kamado Joe to a lesser extent is on top of the higher retail price you may still have to buy a lot more accessories that appear to come standard with the Vision grill.

Is there a recommended retailer for BGE or Kamado Joe or any sales that come around for these?

My local ACE had the most buying perks, including free delivery and set up, so I went with them. It weighs several hundred pounds. Mine threw in a lot of accessories too. That being said, you can warranty parts through any dealer. I think most sales I’ve seen revolve around the normal holiday cycle.

For any ceramic grill user, check out Ceramic Grill Store. I don’t know about Joe, but most BGE accessories are cheaply made and extremely over priced. CGS has a great warranty on their stuff and I think all of it is American made. Pretty high quality too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

life is killing me posted:

I can’t comment specifically on your pizza oven other than to say it looks pretty cool, but the rest of your outdoor space is baller and I’m jealous. That’s similar to what I want one day

Thank you. It was a very long process to get to that point, but the pizza oven was built first and independently of everything else. One thing I would advise is to precast counter tops instead of casting them in place. The counter tops are not perfectly flat due to some error in my screeding. My plan was wet polish it down to expose the aggregate, but my wife absolutely refused that look and I had to stick with this. Had I known that, I would have casted them separately in molds upside-down, had them flipped up and then installed them in-place--with a small army of helpers. With the bottom that was on the form switched to on top, I wouldn't have to deal with the little puddles that form after the rain. Regardless, it's nice to clean the kitchen by hosing it down. I can't get away with that inside.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well I for one think your pizza oven is super cool. How did you make it?

Thanks. It mostly follows the Forno Bravo Pompeii Oven instructions. Some of the insulation method is different due to material availability around here. One of the main people at the masonry supply place is a prolific poster on their forums and their variations are respected, although I think it would have insulated a little better if I had involved some mineral wool like my first one I did out of pottery clay and pottery sand. I can go into sickening detail on how to make it, but I'll just go into some of the nastiness of making the dome since that has to be the fussiest and most foreign part of the whole process.

You need to build two jigs to comfortably make the dome out of Type II (or #2) firebricks. The first is a cutting jig so you can cut tapered and beveled trapezoidal shapes out of each brick. Each brick makes two pieces towards the dome. The one side that is not cut is the top to slant it. Most people create that angle just by globbing on the refractory mortar, but I used the leftover brick cuttings as wedges. Some people just do the taper (I'm treating that as the top-down profile of the cut), leave a lot of space, and just go ham with the mortar. However, that refractory mortar is real expensive and adding a bevel (the side-to-side angle of the cut from the front) lets them sit snug when you angle them up on each course. Even if you have a miter saw, it's a real pain in the rear end to get the taper and bevel at the same time, so you just leave the blade at its neutral position and rely on the jig.

The second jig goes in the center of the oven floor as you build the dome. It's an adjustable piece on a swivel. You can build the first few courses without it since you can build part of the entryway and use it to key your courses. However, once you are building the higher courses, you can't lean on that entryway anymore, so the jig holds the first brick in the course while you cut and lay the rest. At the end, you custom cut a keystone brick that you tap in and that will cause the entire course to stay in place. You can then release the jig and most it to position the next course.

At the top, you usually need to bring out the angle grinder and go a little nuts because you have to make some top key stone(s) that fits what you ultimately laid. You can't really calculate for that.

It's not so essential that you use a masonry saw because the firebricks are very porous. You can saturate them with water in a bucket for a few minutes and then they'll cut without making too much of a mess. You still want some breathing protection.

The oven doesn't perform particularly better than my first one, but the entryway holds up thanks to being brick. My old one couldn't take rain and would need repairs. I'd recommend to the lazy to build the entryway out of brick and then switch to pottery clay and sand slapped over a sand form (with whatever bullshit you can fit to take up space). You'll inevitably get a few hairline cracks that are inconsequential. Heck, that's supposed to happen with the bricks, but I think my anal retention actually worked out since I never got any.

ZombieCrew posted:

Im not denying anything. I thought your sentence of "i had a hard time imparting smoke flavor" was more of a question for advice. Im paraphrasing because i dont want to quote and then delete 99% of the post.

If this works for you then that is awesome. Im not tryin to knock what you built or the way you use it.

Sorry then. I overreacted to you because this particular thread--disregarding any discussions I have anywhere else on the Internet or in person about it--has some notion that smoking in a wood-fired oven is physically impossible. So when the response to me posting that I had figured it out was that it was physically impossible, I started raging. It was like this thread is half bots that just respond like that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, I don’t have the skills to build something quite like you’re describing—or the time. It would, I imagine, be a lot cheaper that way. I have zero masonry skill, and I’d want it all to match the exterior of my house, which is gray stucco.

One day I’ll do that. I’ve got a gas line ready to go, I’d buy a charcoal grill too, add in a fridge and maybe a kegerator since the one I have isn’t an outdoor one.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

life is killing me posted:

I mean, I don’t have the skills to build something quite like you’re describing—or the time. It would, I imagine, be a lot cheaper that way. I have zero masonry skill, and I’d want it all to match the exterior of my house, which is gray stucco.

Masonry is a completely different kind of beast. I consider myself poo poo at carpentry and woodworking, but masonry is sand castles, but much heavier.

A pottery clay and sand cob oven is much simpler to do and where I was when I started. Don't take this ratio as fact, but I think it was something like 1:3 clay:sand. You just get it all wet together and slap it onto a sand form you made out of bullshit construction sand you got at a big box store. To help fill up the volume, you can throw some buckets inside face down. Other people try to use a yoga ball. It has to hold up for all of a week or so before you dig it out and start running progressive amounts of heat through it. Some people just gun and and I think they're nuts.

Here's about 12 minutes on making one much more traditionally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcwwZREsx8I

I would still encourage making the entryway out of brick so that it's robust against rain. The entryway's cylinder shape is much more straightforward than a dome and you wouldn't even need a foot of it. I just made mine much larger to make it into a separate cooking zone.

You can also use this method for making stuff like a tandoori oven or a ceramic smoker too.

Other people like to cast their ovens into a form they make, but I don't have the skills to make a form like that, and the formulas for the concrete mix are like alchemy.

Re: stucco, I tend to lean on acrylic stucco because it's easier to get a consistent finish with the dome. You can apply that with a paintbrush, although that paintbrush will never do anything else ever again.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I've built a cob (clay/sand/straw) oven (there's a link in the DIY forum somewhere of the build).

I'd recommend that people just get a precast oven form and insulate that rather than doing bricks or cob. The price in my area turns out to be about the same in the end. You end up buying a lot (lot) of clay and sand to build a decent sized oven - mine weighs around 1 tonne. (1000lbs) but has serious thermal mass when fired up to 800+f :smug:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

From far back so you can get a perspective on size:

Here's what I'm doing to prop up some grates under the flue to smoke meat:

I took this from the side so you can see how long front chamber is wrt the back chamber. I have a lot of room there for something like 2-zone cooking:

If you wanted to make your oven more of a smoker maybe you could add a secondary firebox lower down to the side, or back, somewhere that exhausts into the pizza oven chamber. Situate the pipe into the pizza oven chamber such that you get the most flow across the food you want to smoke. Also, maybe put an insert into the pizza oven when you are smoking that makes it two levels and directs the smoke across the bottom level and up into the top?

Maybe with a vent cover to not interfere with the airflow dynamics when you want to use it as a pizza oven?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 6, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bird with big dick posted:

It’s pretty easy. The bend is gradual enough that it’s not a big deal. Mine are probably due for a second replacement but I just keep the upper vent more closed to allow for the air seeping out the gasket.

Thank you, well-endowed bird friend. I am emboldened!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Murgos posted:

If you wanted to make your oven more of a smoker maybe you could add a secondary firebox lower down to the side, or back, somewhere that exhausts into the pizza oven chamber. Situate the pipe into the pizza oven chamber such that you get the most flow across the food you want to smoke. Also, maybe put an insert into the pizza oven when you are smoking that makes it two levels and directs the smoke across the bottom level and up into the top?

Maybe with a vent cover to not interfere with the airflow dynamics when you want to use it as a pizza oven?

A lower box would turn the main chamber into a full smoker, that's for sure. Nobody would need that insert; the flue is always at the front of the oven and not the top of the dome.

I had thought on a do-over that I could probably put a firebox underneath in the back. The underside of the oven is very deep and that's a common issue people deal with. There's no point stuffing wood or anything all the way back there, and it attracts mosquitos. So having half of it being a firebox in the rear (accessed from the back or something) would be a better use of the space.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

I've replaced mine a couple times on my Keg, and the adhesives used really do not hold up remotely long enough. Even the fireplace gasket adhesive dries/shrinks/cracks/pulls off after a couple seasons of our extremes in Utah.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Try using Permatex Ultra Copper. It should be able to handle anything you throw at it. Naturally make sure the surface you apply it to is grease free and clean.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m going to wait until after my smoke this weekend[*] and do a clean burn with these worn out gaskets, then do the switch. I’m hoping I can manage it without taking the lid off, because I have the old style box hinge and I keep seeing reports of zip ties not being sufficient to hold the hinge and then stuff gets all messed up.

[*] pork shoulder for my girlfriend’s birthday. I’m doing it SV+smoke for timing control, so keeping down during the finishing smoke isn’t a bog deal

On another topic…Kick Ash basket and ash can: worthwhile?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Got the kick ash basket and it changes the airflow game. It made my light ups much quicker. I’d buy it all over again. That + a cheap o shop vac have made cleaning up a breeze.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Had the opportunity to cook on a family member's Cookshack pellet smoker this weekend, and frankly I think I'm sold on a pellet smoker to replace my Pit Barrel. However, I got sticker shock after looking at the cost of the Cookshack gear, and was wondering what most folks without $5k laying around prefer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jesus, $5k for a pellet smoker? I paid $600 for my Traeger at Costco.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah my dad just bought a traeger that I setup for them and it's great. I can imagine better but not $5000 better.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enos Cabell posted:

Camp Chef makes a pretty solid pellet grill too (which is what I have,) but don’t appear to make the non-wifi models anymore. The sear box seemed like a gimmick till I used it a few times. Now I wish it were bigger.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've been eyeing up the Camp Chef stuff for a while now. Seems like a solid entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Enos Cabell posted:

FWIW, I'm told that this was purchased long before the prices went skyhigh from Cookshack, but I'm sure it was still $1k+. drat thing is roomy though, I had a brisket, a pork butt, and 3 slabs of St Louis in there and I could have easily done twice that amount with some room to spare.