Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Malefitz posted:

Not sure what you mean, different from what?
My go-to recipe nowadays is 100% rye flour so quite different from most of the breads posted in this thread

I'm asking if whatever recipe you're using for a seed/nut bread is different from your typical one. That would add another factor into problems you have working with seeds and nuts.

100% rye? Are you Dutch/Scandinavian? I did a bunch of experiments with that a few years back and could never produce a loaf anybody wanted to eat (including myself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm asking if whatever recipe you're using for a seed/nut bread is different from your typical one. That would add another factor into problems you have working with seeds and nuts.
Oh, no I usually just added in the seeds as an extra. Didn't change anything...
The tips on the internet I read gave mixed messages if you should adjust the other ingredients when adding soaked seeds and I never figured out what the ideal approach is.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

100% rye? Are you Dutch/Scandinavian? I did a bunch of experiments with that a few years back and could never produce a loaf anybody wanted to eat (including myself).

German actually, so close!
I never managed to make any rye bread that didn't taste awesome to me even back when I had no idea what I was doing so maybe it's just a cultural thing why you didn't like it.
It's similar for me with wheat sourdough bread. The sour taste in wheat bread is really off-putting at first because I'm not used to it at all.
I still like it but I see it as somewhat of an acquired taste. I don't think there actually was a big culture of eating wheat bread in Germany before industrial yeast became widely available.

My standard loaf is 45% whole rye and 55% normal rye flour.
Here are some example loafs:

The pattern on the top is very characteristic for rye bread. It happens because rye dough doesn't have the same elasticity wheat dough has.
As the loaf expands in the final proofing phase the uncovered surface of the dough skin dries up and rips in a nice natural pattern.
I enhance this effect by adding more flour while proofing so the cracks get wider.

This is how the bread looks on the inside:

Note that this is already a lot of rise for a rye bread.
The flavor is mildly sour with a nice tang (not sure if this describes the taste well enough).
I like to eat it with only butter added the most, it complements the taste really well. Other than that cheese works well, too.

Also the bread is incredibly juicy and will survive a week easily as long as the crumb is covered.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

My mother grew up in Germany and basically steals my 30% rye sourdough bread when I leave it around when she visits. So I do the only logical thing which is to make sure there is bread for her to steal when she visits.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

We can't help it, it's in our genes

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Welp I did it I got the anova oven. I don't even know if I have a counter big enough for it lol. my gf is gonna be so mad.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Man, I’d been having a lot of trouble with oven spring and scoring. I thought I was having a lot of problems with dough strength even at pretty low hydration. Turns out my oven was like 50°F colder than I was telling it to be. :cry:

I thought it was pretty accurate but my old oven thermometer broke and I’d never replaced it. Finally got a new one and discovered I had a terrible temperature problem.

The weather cooled off a bit so I could justify running the oven again, and…

:toot:

1/3 white whole wheat, 2/3 AP (both along Arthur), 72% hydration inclusive of the water in the 20% levain. I guess it helps to actually bake at like 450°F and not… 405 or something.

e: crumb not too bad, much more open than I’m used to getting recently, anyway. Could maybe go for a bit more but one step at a time fixing things.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 2, 2021

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Finally got a fully puffed pitta, feels good man.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I MADE A LOAF OF SOURDOUGH BREAD THSI MORNING AND I AM MAKING 2 MORE LATER TONIGHT ONCE THEY ARE DONE PROOFING AND ALSO I AM MAKING 24 SOURDOUGH BUNS FOR A 4TH OF JULY BBQ THERE IS A LOT OF SOURDOUGH BAKING GOING ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made more seeded bread, this time as a Pullman

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Nooner posted:

I MADE A LOAF OF SOURDOUGH BREAD THSI MORNING AND I AM MAKING 2 MORE LATER TONIGHT ONCE THEY ARE DONE PROOFING AND ALSO I AM MAKING 24 SOURDOUGH BUNS FOR A 4TH OF JULY BBQ THERE IS A LOT OF SOURDOUGH BAKING GOING ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!

This is so much in the spirit of this thread, keep it up!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dacap posted:

Made more seeded bread, this time as a Pullman

I just listened to a podcast about this history of George Pullman, the extreme anti union luxury train car creator and train barron who did a lot of bad things to a lot of good people...anyway, kinda wish those bread baking boxes weren't called Pullmans now, it's like calling them Bezos Boxes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I just listened to a podcast about this history of George Pullman, the extreme anti union luxury train car creator and train barron who did a lot of bad things to a lot of good people...anyway, kinda wish those bread baking boxes weren't called Pullmans now, it's like calling them Bezos Boxes.

Let's try to get breadcube pan trending outside this thread

I know they are also called pain de mie loaf pans, but b r e a d c u b e

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Making some poolish bread from salt fat yeast flour (or whatever the name is) and the last few times it's burned at the bottom. No other bread I've baked has burned. This time I'll try putting some parchment paper at the bottom of the Dutch oven as well as putting a cookie sheet in a rack below the Dutch oven. Any other tips?

Edit: no other bread I've baked has used a dutch oven, either...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

effika posted:

Let's try to get breadcube pan trending outside this thread

I know they are also called pain de mie loaf pans, but b r e a d c u b e

breadcuboid, tyvm

Steric Hindrance
Sep 29, 2018

redreader posted:

Making some poolish bread from salt fat yeast flour (or whatever the name is) and the last few times it's burned at the bottom. No other bread I've baked has burned. This time I'll try putting some parchment paper at the bottom of the Dutch oven as well as putting a cookie sheet in a rack below the Dutch oven. Any other tips?

Try reducing your oven temperature by 20-25 degrees. I had the same happen the first few times I made something from that book. Now I always use 25 degrees lower than that book says. Seems to have solved it for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

redreader posted:

Is your heating element on the bottom of the oven? If so, put your rack a bit higher in the oven. I had burnt bread using the bottom rack and it stopped when I used the second from the bottom rack.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Made concha for the first time, this was the only one that looked decent out of the 8 I made

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
second loaf from the anova. was way better than the first. still much more dialing in to do but it's pretty pretty pretty good

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

hello bread thread, i wish i had discovered you earlier because i was baking hockey pucks or the bread would collapse (the issues were that the yeast was too old and then i was putting in too much yeast but everything is solved for now).

do you guys have any suggestions for bread slicers? i went on to amazon and tbh all of these bamboo ones look the same to me.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
A sharp serrated knife and practice. Here's the one I bought.

I have a bread slicer thingy but I don't like to clean extra things. I gave up using it once I realized it wasn't helping me get thin slices. Now I can't get pretty consistent cuts with a knife and an eyeball!

If you do want or need a tool, they all come out of like the same three factories so get what looks sturdier, or find a woodworker locally or via etsy.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Serrated knives have a purpose when slicing bread, on some days I use a very sharp chefs knife if I want really thin slices.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

oh i have the knives! it just turns out i am bad at cutting things evenly and i was ending up with slices that were thicker on one end or they went all wobbly in the middle while i thought i was cutting straight but it turns out i was as far from it as possible. :v: i will definitely keep everything in mind though, and maybe i will practice slicing by eye when i just want toast instead of a sandwich or something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've found I cut everything on a slant, which gets more pronounced as I go shopping.. When I reach the end of the bottom of the loaf there's still a few inches of the top

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
I have been working my way through Flour Water Salt Yeast (seems like lots of people here are familiar with it). I have had great success with the instant yeast and hybrid recipes, but am having trouble with the pure levain recipes. I cannot for the life of me get the dough shaped after the overnight bulk ferment. The dough is huge (probably way more than 3x original size), sticky, and refuses to hold any semblance of a ball shape. I am using a starter from Kensington Sourdough (https://kensingtonsourdough.ca/) that yields amazing flavor so I am pretty confident there's nothing wrong with my yeast.

After googling this a bit, it seems like lots of people have similar problems, and have ended up fermenting for ~half the recommended time. Has anyone here tried these recipes and gotten better results?

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 15, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So it turns out that when you’re used to 22°C and everything is suddenly 30°C, everything involving sourdough suddenly moves a hell of a lot faster!

Hope things turn out edible.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

So my mom ordered me this as a housewarming gift: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchenaid-bread-bowl-with-baking-lid/s425203

Anyone seen any reviews on this? I use a lodge enameled Dutch oven right now and I’m not sure this is going to perform any better. If it was my choice I probably would’ve preferred using the money towards a Challenger if I wanted a dedicated bread baker.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Oakland Martini posted:

I have been working my way through Flour Water Salt Yeast (seems like lots of people here are familiar with it). I have had great success with the instant yeast and hybrid recipes, but am having trouble with the pure levain recipes. I cannot for the life of me get the dough shaped after the overnight bulk ferment. The dough is huge (probably way more than 3x original size), sticky, and refuses to hold any semblance of a ball shape. I am using a starter from Kensington Sourdough (https://kensingtonsourdough.ca/) that yields amazing flavor so I am pretty confident there's nothing wrong with my yeast.

After googling this a bit, it seems like lots of people have similar problems, and have ended up fermenting for ~half the recommended time. Has anyone here tried these recipes and gotten better results?

Are you shaping on a well floured surface? I sometimes skip the step but it helps with looser/stickier doughs for sure.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oakland Martini posted:

If it’s warm or your yeast are really active you have to reduce the time. Or when it’s about the right size stick it in the fridge until you are ready for it. Also, if the dough is too sticky and loose you can just gently work more flour into it a tablespoon at a time until it firms up. Maybe it won’t be as great as it could be but it will still be amazing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The book is really specific about what the temperatures overnight are expected to be. Are yours higher? I think it said 65-70 degrees is normal overnight in the bakery.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

My starter is from the same place! Are you in Toronto? I've had to modify a lot of my recipes based on how warm it gets here in the summer.

I've found this recipe has worked really well for me, with only about 4-5 hours bulk and long proofing in the fridge.

https://natashasbaking.com/sourdough-loaf-perfect-formula/

I've also found shaping easier now that I switched to doing more normal stretch and folds in the bowl rather than coil folds in a baking dish.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been looking at this for five minutes, just puzzled that it's a thing. Like, I'm surprised there's a ceramic that can withstand kneading in a Kitchenaid... or maybe it can't and you'll find out later. I'm kind of thinking, "Score! A spare mixing bowl! I can make cake with one and frosting with the other!" Nothing about bread haha.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

bolind posted:

So it turns out that when you’re used to 22°C and everything is suddenly 30°C, everything involving sourdough suddenly moves a hell of a lot faster!

My neck of the woods swings from 3°c in the coldest of winter to 40+° in summer

Keeping a starter is an exercise

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

upped the hydration in my normal sourdough by 10%, ive been wrong for a while :negative:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Things did turn out edible, more sour, less gluten, as is to be expected.

Pic of carnage:

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Dacap posted:

My starter is from the same place! Are you in Toronto? I've had to modify a lot of my recipes based on how warm it gets here in the summer.

I've found this recipe has worked really well for me, with only about 4-5 hours bulk and long proofing in the fridge.

https://natashasbaking.com/sourdough-loaf-perfect-formula/

I've also found shaping easier now that I switched to doing more normal stretch and folds in the bowl rather than coil folds in a baking dish.

I am in Toronto! I live up the street from Kensington, I actually picked mine up from the guy in person.

It's possible that the only problem I'm having is the summer weather, although we keep our house pretty cool at night. I will give this alternative recipe a shot. I see a lot of pretty similar ones with 5-8 hours bulk fermentation; FWSY is at the extreme end it seems.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
This recipe for zucchini bread was supposed to fill two 8x5 tins, but it basically filled one and a half. So I just threw chocolate chips in the half a tin and it actually came out really nice. Had a firmer texture from being thinner which suited a dessert.

Does anyone have a version of this kind of quick bread that both doesn't use a ton of sugar and also still tastes good? I could eat it all day, but don't love pouring in a cup+ of sugar.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

I am in Toronto! I live up the street from Kensington, I actually picked mine up from the guy in person.

It's possible that the only problem I'm having is the summer weather, although we keep our house pretty cool at night. I will give this alternative recipe a shot. I see a lot of pretty similar ones with 5-8 hours bulk fermentation; FWSY is at the extreme end it seems.

Nice, I'm in Parkdale. I've found this recipe to be pretty consistent. I've tried a few more "advanced" techniques with my sourdoughs and I've found in general I prefer simpler recipes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I AM BAKING BREAD RIGHT NOW I JUST FINISHED BAKING ONE LOAF AND NOW THERE IS A DIFFERENT LOAF IN THE OVEN AND IT IS BAKING AS I TYPE THIS!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Nooner posted:

I AM BAKING BREAD RIGHT NOW I JUST FINISHED BAKING ONE LOAF AND NOW THERE IS A DIFFERENT LOAF IN THE OVEN AND IT IS BAKING AS I TYPE THIS!

POST PICTURES PLEASE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Malefitz posted:

My standard loaf is 45% whole rye and 55% normal rye flour.
Here are some example loafs:

The pattern on the top is very characteristic for rye bread. It happens because rye dough doesn't have the same elasticity wheat dough has.
As the loaf expands in the final proofing phase the uncovered surface of the dough skin dries up and rips in a nice natural pattern.
I enhance this effect by adding more flour while proofing so the cracks get wider.

This is how the bread looks on the inside:

Note that this is already a lot of rise for a rye bread.
The flavor is mildly sour with a nice tang (not sure if this describes the taste well enough).
I like to eat it with only butter added the most, it complements the taste really well. Other than that cheese works well, too.

Also the bread is incredibly juicy and will survive a week easily as long as the crumb is covered.

This is amazing, would you be willing to share the recipe?