Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Voter ID has literally no upsides for Democrats except the ability to imagine Republicans respecting them for implementing it

Also maybe keeping the poor and leftists out of the voting booths.

It has the upside of being leverage that can be used to gain more important or impactful things. Half a step back in exchange for two steps forward is a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

What are you talking about? Democrats love gerrymandering, they’re just too bad at winning control
Of state houses to make use of it

also remember that when republicans pack dem districts to make unfair republican majorities it also has the side effect of strengthening the political power of the dems in the packed districts.

so if you're one of the dems it makes your life easier if you get gerrymandered to hell in a packed district

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Catpetter1981 posted:

It has the upside of being leverage that can be used to gain more important or impactful things. Half a step back in exchange for two steps forward is a win.

That place is just filled with the most credulous dipshits

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terminal autist posted:

Voter ID could be useful if it were leveraged into some sort of national id system that's free for everyone.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Terminal autist posted:

Brooklyn bridges! get your Brooklyn bridges here! one of kind! two for the price of one!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terminal autist posted:

Voter ID could be useful if it were leveraged into some sort of national id system that's free for everyone.

Edit: on it's face there's nothing really wrong with requiring an ID to vote. It only becomes an issue when you take into account the context of how IDs are handled in the US and the disparate impact out has on the poor.

If you implemented a national ID than it completely disarms that suppression tactic because everyone can get one trivially. So if you can do that who gives a gently caress if the GOP wants ID laws.

If done right you could play this issue against them.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
America, much like anime, was a mistake.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/powellnyt/status/1411733793631842310?s=19

Being a leftist? That's racism

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Once again demonstrating liberals just assume poc leftists don't exist

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Bobbyaintrightism

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone remember or have that D&D post from a while back with someone referencing an anime as part of an argument for why the US should go to war with China? Want to show it to my friend but forget where someone quoted it. I think it was quoted in this thread at some point.

Shipon posted:

god i hope so, it will be so funny for our annoying rear end generation to just get shut out of politics

all millennials can do is loving whine about how they don't get to live like the boomers did, gen z has already given up on that and is forging a new path

The sort of Gen Z people to end up in politics (or at least federal-level politics) will be sickos of the highest order, I guarantee you. The same is true for millennials, but I have a feeling that it'll actually become worse with younger generations. While the generations in question are worse-off materially with each successive one, the sort of people to be in politics will be from the privileged minority, and being a well-off member of a poor generational cohort is going to make these people even more like a modern aristocracy than their older counterparts (because any illusion of a meritocracy will be shattered, while the people in question still need to justify their own circumstances - they'll be forced to resort to increasingly more hosed up ideas to justify the situation).

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Jul 4, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ytlaya posted:

Does anyone remember or have that D&D post from a while back with someone referencing an anime as part of an argument for why the US should go to war with China? Want to show it to my friend but forget where someone quoted it. I think it was quoted in this thread at some point.

The sort of Gen Z people to end up in politics (or at least federal-level politics) will be sickos of the highest order, I guarantee you. The same is true for millennials, but I have a feeling that it'll actually become worse with younger generations. While the generations in question are worse-off materially with each successive one, the sort of people to be in politics will be from the privileged minority, and being a well-off member of a poor generational cohort is going to make these people even more like a modern aristocracy than their older counterparts (because any illusion of a meritocracy will be shattered, while the people in question still need to justify their own circumstances - they'll be forced to resort to increasingly more hosed up ideas to justify the situation).

poo poo, I know the post you're talking about. The OP was using some analogy involving Fate Zero, but I can't remember who it was.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Business Gorillas posted:

Once again demonstrating liberals just assume poc leftists don't exist

If they existed, the TV would tell us. But since it doesn't, they don't.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

quote:

So if China took Alaska, or Hawaii, should the US ignore it to avoid the end of industrial civilization?

The logical end point of such utilitarianism is absurdity, look at what happened in Fate/Zero; if you keep letting people on the boat with less people die; eventually you'll have no people left. If you keep letting China invade and take places because the alternative is "the end of industrial civilization" where does it end?

But the simple fact is it would not end industrial civilization, that's just pure delirium. There's no rational basis for it; even if the US and China unloaded their entire arsenals at each other.

I think its more likely governments introduce rationing to insure essential industries get access to those components and the civilian market will just enter a WW2 style wartime austerity. But 13% isn't 100%; and I think its probably the case the US has plans in the event it happens to spool up production, it isn't from nothing the US government spends a lot of money to insure those production lines can be ramped up in the event of war.

post=514122305

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Excelzior posted:

post=514122305

No loving way

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Actually laughed at the post irl.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

also holy gently caress was that ever a doozy of a post

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nichael posted:

I made the mistake of poking the K-Hive today on Twitter. They are terrifying.

Most of them aren't real and can't hurt you as long as you don't post anything that can be connected to your real life or family

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Catpetter1981 posted:

Yeah the quiet part they're just barely not saying out loud here is that the loss of Voter ID as a talking point is an explicit net loss for Democrats as a political movement over fixing the underlying issue they're ~concerned~ about

Like the fact that they frame this as a win/loss equation when it's a completely solvable access issue says everything that needs to be said about Democrats on voter ID

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Jul 4, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So has anybody else checked out Obama's We The People project that just dropped on Netflix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLomtcM4-j4

This is some of the worst poo poo I've ever seen in my life. Lin-Manuel Miranda performs in Three Branches of Government and it's worse than anything in Hamilton.

Getting some serious "corporate art" vibes from a lot of that video. Like this kind of thing - https://thebroadsideonline.com/2021/02/opinion-the-corporate-art-style-and-why-it-doesnt-feel-like-real-art/

This is my favorite part - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLomtcM4-j4&t=43s

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ytlaya posted:

Getting some serious "corporate art" vibes from a lot of that video. Like this kind of thing - https://thebroadsideonline.com/2021/02/opinion-the-corporate-art-style-and-why-it-doesnt-feel-like-real-art/

This is essentially the kids who grew up with and rejected the Burger King Kids Club morphing into everything they hate on exactly the same sort of good intentions

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hey uhh Obama. They already made Im Just a Bill and it is also universally cringe. But at least that bill looked like he wanted to kill himself since he knew he was going to get slowly smothered anyway no matter what it was.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

silicone thrills posted:

Hey uhh Obama. They already made Im Just a Bill and it is also universally cringe. But at least that bill looked like he wanted to kill himself since he knew he was going to get slowly smothered anyway no matter what it was.
If it was a bill written by ALEC, it would be zipping around the capitol grounds and gently caress the Lincoln Memorial clean in half.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Chinese people in the US are discriminated against because a lot of white working class Americans are racist and are always looking for an excuse and someone to blame for their circumstances and refuse to take responsibility or any action to actually help their own material conditions. Recently in particular Trump gave millions of people permission to be assholes and they decided to embrace it because they thought they would be free from consequence.

love to be "on the left"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

love to be "on the left"

let's go da left baby love da left

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

rapping cat explaining tax brackets to you, yes this is what the youth want

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1411741491035361288

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alright alright alright

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/katystoll/status/1411728849289682944

Telling the people at the bbq the truth about 9/11.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/katystoll/status/1411728849289682944

Telling the people at the bbq the truth about 9/11.

I tried to listen to Even More News once and it was close to the election. It was extremely "well you gotta VOTE BLUE BECAUSE OF TRUMP" and I couldn't finish it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
wokescolding about the 4th because it's easier to alienate simple people than it is to solve literally any problem

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

wokescolding about the 4th because it's easier to alienate simple people than it is to solve literally any problem

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1411756162282819594?s=20

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the reply dudes for Biden are so much worse than Trump's

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Excelzior posted:

the reply dudes for Biden are so much worse than Trump's

yea like the lib equivelant of the TRUMP crowd is basically every bland lib stereotype given life, it is like, extremely humiliating that these people exist at all, let alone in such a high profile and visible way

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.

The Nastier Nate posted:

In exchange for

entitlement reform

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

this admins messaging is seriously the most condescending, juvenile poo poo ive ever loving encountered. breathtakingly concentrated vacuous lib dreck. captain crunch has more personality than these losers.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/VP/status/1411739095483699201?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1411740773729640453?s=20

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Chinese people in the US are discriminated against because a lot of white working class Americans are racist and are always looking for an excuse and someone to blame for their circumstances and refuse to take responsibility or any action to actually help their own material conditions. Recently in particular Trump gave millions of people permission to be assholes and they decided to embrace it because they thought they would be free from consequence.

lol just a reminder that this brainless dipshit is Canadian and has no firsthand knowledge about any of the things he's claiming here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

post=514122305

Trying very hard not to lol publicly at Denny’s right now.