Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

This is making me feel like the Internet is a goon project.

Concept: a world-wide, distributed network that can continue working even in the event of a nuclear war

Reality: A handful of points-of-failure can shut the whole thing down because people don't want to do their own server maintenance.

yeah, it has been known since the 90s that the internet isn't an actual planned thing, but rather an organic thing that happened on accident and rests upon dozens, if not hundreds of single points of failure.

Look up Harlan Stenn sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

yeah, it has been known since the 90s that the internet isn't an actual planned thing, but rather an organic thing that happened on accident and rests upon dozens, if not hundreds of single points of failure.

Look up Harlan Stenn sometime.

Every few months the number of routes in the full BGP tables hits a point where a whole bunch of old core routers and route servers are about to poo poo the bed and major ISPs scramble to figure out how to avoid the internet falling apart out of the blue

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
That Kaseya hack was a hairs breadth from being catastrophic for us. The vendor management picked to work with us on a 9 million dollar Cisco phone project uses it and I just locked them the gently caress out of everything after crowdstrike picked up and stopped the malware that slipped in through kaseya and attempted to encrypt our whole phone system farm. Hell we even found the certificate with the key on a call manager box.

Crowdstrike saved our rear end today.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Crowdstrike is really good. The way my CISO put it is that it lets you stop bad stuff in a few minutes rather than a day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

This is making me feel like the Internet is a goon project.

Concept: a world-wide, distributed network that can continue working even in the event of a nuclear war

Reality: A handful of points-of-failure can shut the whole thing down because people don't want to do their own server maintenance.

Yup. Security is laughing about the absolute monstrosity that is Enterprise grade while trying to claw your sanity back

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Farking Bastage posted:

That Kaseya hack was a hairs breadth from being catastrophic for us. The vendor management picked to work with us on a 9 million dollar Cisco phone project uses it and I just locked them the gently caress out of everything after crowdstrike picked up and stopped the malware that slipped in through kaseya and attempted to encrypt our whole phone system farm. Hell we even found the certificate with the key on a call manager box.

Crowdstrike saved our rear end today.

So are you ditching the vendor and telling them to remove all their infrastructure?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanks Ants posted:

So are you ditching the vendor and telling them to remove all their infrastructure?

Everyone can get hacked. I don’t think that’s necessarily a reasonable reaction, though I would certainly recommend implementing additional controls.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will be interesting to see how industry attitudes change to these remote management exploits, whether you'll see clients insisting that MSPs cannot have any persistent agents running as privileged users as even in the best case scenario it's increasing the attack surface (and increasing their costs accordingly as a lot of auto-remediation is removed), or whether MSP customers won't really know to ask for that anyway.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanks Ants posted:

It will be interesting to see how industry attitudes change to these remote management exploits, whether you'll see clients insisting that MSPs cannot have any persistent agents running as privileged users as even in the best case scenario it's increasing the attack surface (and increasing their costs accordingly as a lot of auto-remediation is removed), or whether MSP customers won't really know to ask for that anyway.

unfortunately you know the answer to this

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Thanks Ants posted:

I've never worked at an MSP and didn't know this was common until the exploit came out yesterday lol.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the MSP business model basically wouldn't work without RMM tools.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It could, and it has (in a sense, doing s2s’s back to an MSP lol). It’s just even worse than relying on the RMM tools.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Thanks Ants posted:

We mostly installed and configured that 9 million dollar phone system ourselves. The only reason they were allowed to sniff my network in the first place is because some salesman tucked the execs for a few hundred grand extra in annual MSP fees instead of just selling us the gear like we asked for.

Seriously gently caress MSP's, gently caress Cisco, and double gently caress Cisco MSP's. I knew something was amiss when they would blame our non-cisco network for everything that could have possibly gone wrong with the phones. They once deployed a broken firmware to every(4000+) phone which bootlooped them all, then tried to blame it on using LLDP instead of CDP. Their "resident CCIE" was astounded that we don't just trunk vlans across everything instead of the multi-homed OSPF routed setup we have. It was damned satisfying watching him at the next meeting begrudgingly admit that "the network design is solid". That was from Presidio, who is is pretty notorious around here for getting their foot in the door as a cisco reseller then eventually getting entire government and private outfits to drop their in-house IT for MSP services.

To answer your question, they just get to use bomgar like everyone else. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
RSA just keeps getting goofier

https://twitter.com/brysonbort/status/1411475373150384136?s=19

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

They deleted the tweet and apologized, https://twitter.com/RSAConference/status/1411480627455614991?s=20

But the internet remembers, and it's really really dumb

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

TeamViewer is still the most used unattended home assist tool so you might take a wild guess on what will happen after this hack.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

It’s not like teamviewer has been popped already this year

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

geonetix posted:

They deleted the tweet and apologized, https://twitter.com/RSAConference/status/1411480627455614991?s=20

The tweet was incredibly dumb but the article is on a whole different level.

I'm not kidding, RSA actually posted:

Today, virtually all the valuable companies in the world are Internet-driven, platform-based business models. Yet, despite the surge in popularity, the Internet has a serious fundamental flaw: the transmission control protocol/internet protocol (TCP/IP)—the primary engine underpinning the Internet—is less secure.

At the time TCP/IP architecture was unveiled, security was not a primary concern. As a packet-switched network, the Internet transmits data in chunks that traverse multiple endpoints before reaching their destination. The goal of TCP/IP was to transmit data, with security being much of an afterthought until SSL deployment in browsers years later.

While this model is more efficient in transmitting data than any technology before, it opens up the Internet to millions of attackers who can intercept packets in transit and interfere with their integrity, confidentiality and availability.
But what is the solution?

Blockchain can eliminate the TCP/IP’s fundamental security flaws.

An important value of using Blockchain is allowing users—particularly those who do not need to trust one another—to share valuable information securely and transfer value in a tamper-proof manner. This is because Blockchain stores data using complex cryptography and extremely difficult protocols for attackers to manipulate.
What makes Bitcoin secure are two things: cryptographic protocols and consensus protocols. Bitcoin uses a cryptographic primitive called a hash for every transaction that users create on the network. You can think of a hash as a fingerprint for every transaction. Like a typical fingerprint, a hash is unique and takes many computational resources and time to generate initially. This makes cryptocurrency more secure than the Internet because these security features are built into the Blockchain decentralized protocol code itself. It’s not an afterthought like TCP/IP.

If you click through to the author page, you'll also learn that "Rohan Hall is a 30-year veteran in the blockchain and DeFi space."

Apparently, the only problem with a proposal to replace "the TCP/IP" with Bitcoin is... "neutrality."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m glad they posted that before post-COVID international travel opened up so I can whip it out whenever my boss tries to convince me to attend RSA again.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Brb, going to spend $17 on a transaction fee and wait up to 10 hours for confirmation for each packet I send.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Happiness Commando posted:

Brb, going to spend $17 on a transaction fee and wait up to 10 hours for confirmation for each packet I send.

They say having a better rig wins fps games as it is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is like that proposal to make spam impractical by forcing an expensive calculation before sending an email, but stupider.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1411692767495942153

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is like that proposal to make spam impractical by forcing an expensive calculation before sending an email, but stupider.

"PLEASE PROVE YOU ARE NOT A ROBOT" captchas before every email

Ah yes, Perpetual Motion, famous for....not working perpetually.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 4, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Happiness Commando posted:

Just 10 hours? I hope you weren't planning on sending that over a messy, insecure-by-design protocol like the TCP/IP. You'd give up all the benefits of the internet-over-Bitcoin protocol!

So, you'd better add in the time for the messenger pigeon or postal service to deliver your packets, too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

geonetix posted:

They'd have removed it and apologized without the dogpile? Cool.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kaseya, his ports open

voccola, when the firewalls fell

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Was RSA the one a couple years ago where the guy was presenting his New Quantum Holistic Math?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Klyith posted:

Was RSA the one a couple years ago where the guy was presenting his New Quantum Holistic Math?

No, that was Black Hat: https://www.pcmag.com/news/black-hat-attendees-sponsored-session-was-snake-oil-crypto

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Discovery of a cosmic side-channel corruption attack:

https://twitter.com/FiloSottile/status/1411583960115814401

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Achmed Jones posted:

kaseya, his ports open

voccola, when the firewalls fell

RSA, their blog unfurled

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bitcoin, its chains broken

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bitcoin, its chains broken

"The Blockchain at Tenagra" :colbert:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No additional certs can be logged to the Yeti 2022 shart.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guy Axlerod posted:

No additional certs can be logged to the Yeti 2022 shart.

:itwaspoo:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

is only they'd been using a blockchain

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/marcwrogers/status/1411871388529397767
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1411868363983396872

Seems like a relatively small payoff

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/rantyben/status/1411907403008733191

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

is only they'd been using a blockchain

The joke is that they are, and that's why they can't fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

lol do they want kaseya to pay, or is the some game theory thing where all the hit companies could contribute but they all get the decrypted if it goes through so there is incentive to wait