Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gearhead posted:

I keep forgetting that the L2D software they're probably using most of the time only came to PC fairly recently and was originally written for a phone.

The Marine clip above actually has her using a 3D model, not Live2D model. The Live2D model wouldn't be able to deform the neck that way, it works inside a strictly defined output-range of motion.

But yes the tracking tech used should be able to be extended to handle some more parts, like shoulders, and remember that some of the hololive gen 0 members recently got hands tracking added as a feature for their home streaming setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
This Niji EN panel is pretty scuffed as well, Finana’s audio keeps fading away

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It seems like Scuff is an EN feature in general. The vShojo panel scuff should be comedy gold.

nielsm posted:

The Marine clip above actually has her using a 3D model, not Live2D model. The Live2D model wouldn't be able to deform the neck that way, it works inside a strictly defined output-range of motion.

But yes the tracking tech used should be able to be extended to handle some more parts, like shoulders, and remember that some of the hololive gen 0 members recently got hands tracking added as a feature for their home streaming setups.

Zentreya uses either torso or full body tracking as well, and of course Melody does for obvious reasons. It's a really neat technology.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Gearhead posted:

It seems like Scuff is an EN feature in general. The vShojo panel scuff should be comedy gold.

Zentreya uses either torso or full body tracking as well, and of course Melody does for obvious reasons. It's a really neat technology.

An interesting one is Pochi-sensei, who uses some sort of device on her hands for her hand capture. She even occasionally has to find them and put them on when she decides to do some impromptu hand motions. I definitely feel it's different from whatever tracking that Miko is using, since it's less prone to wild and unpredictable motion in my experience

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kibibit posted:

An interesting one is Pochi-sensei, who uses some sort of device on her hands for her hand capture. She even occasionally has to find them and put them on when she decides to do some impromptu hand motions. I definitely feel it's different from whatever tracking that Miko is using, since it's less prone to wild and unpredictable motion in my experience

There's been some work with the Vive trackers and Haptic gloves as well. It might be something similar to that. Or a combination of peripherals.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm not sure what else Ollie expected.
https://twitter.com/kureijiollie/status/1411735202053849088

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/ninomaeinanis/status/1411758328695324672

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Singing the true version :hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm9o1PN0lRA

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Gearhead posted:

Ya know, this brings to mind a question: do EN v-tubers legitimately experience more technical malfunctions? Or is it just that it's easier for us to notice when EN tubers get messed up because they scream in a language more people can understand?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

serefin99 posted:

Ya know, this brings to mind a question: do EN v-tubers legitimately experience more technical malfunctions? Or is it just that it's easier for us to notice when EN tubers get messed up because they scream in a language more people can understand?

I'm not sure. I mean, I mainly watch EN streams. But there seems to be a THING about scuff.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Gearhead posted:

I'm not sure. I mean, I mainly watch EN streams. But there seems to be a THING about scuff.

I think that might be a reason that it seems EN has a technical difficulties curse - a part of the community just watches the JP v-tubers through clips and it's less likely that "technical difficulties" moments would end up in a popular clip (unless it's something hilarious or notorious) =D

Edit: Which reminds me of this clip - not technical difficulties per se, but still awesome - Korone & Miko's Emergency Press Conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FK0cSFEkk

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
^watching miko's ark update stream live was about the hardest I've ever laughed at a vtuber

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's more that EN scuff is more consistently funny; you don't nearly as many "whoops someone's model is just loving gone where did they go" moments with JP (and when they do happen they're usually clipped as well).

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

serefin99 posted:

JP vtubers and HoloJP in general also have technical difficulties every now and then but they rarely get clipped unless they're particularly funny (see: Sora's model freaking out because her phone stand collapsed, Nene's model disappearing due to her phone disconnecting in the middle of a duet of Connect with Kiara).

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

^watching miko's ark update stream live was about the hardest I've ever laughed at a vtuber

You mean this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ09xeK4--8

Yeah, that is up there as an all-time great =D

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

The Host is bad.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

serefin99 posted:

I think it's just easier for us to notice, for reasons such as the fact that EN viewers are unlikely to see much from a JP Vtuber who's inexperienced and just recently debuted. And a lot of them have really messed-up setups when they start, too, which just accentuates the normal mistakes you'd expect someone to make. Like Calli's debut running at 10fps until she turned off the effects, because her initial computer setup was something ridiculous like a laptop hooked up to four monitors on the floor in a closet-sized space. Or Amelia having to buy a new Switch because her first one was all hosed up and kept overheating and breaking for some reason.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kiara is so excited about that Tales of Ambassador thing that she forgot about her birthday when asked about big upcoming streams.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

reminder that polka spent like $800 on a router in an attempt to fix her internet when it turned out that she was using a phone cord instead of an ethernet cord somehow

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
*debuts and talks with fellow genmate for months before even officially in hololive*

*Never asks Botan about router advice once before buying router*

Polmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gura has 3 million subscribers for a reason.
https://twitter.com/ToastCrust/status/1411812232556544001

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Speaking of Elite Miko she is going to have her own themed cafe coming up later this month.

https://www.sofmap.com/tenpo/stellamap/collabo/cafe_sakuramiko.html

Food looks pretty good. Also Miko will show up on screens as the "manager" of the cafe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Badingading posted:

JP vtubers and HoloJP in general also have technical difficulties every now and then but they rarely get clipped unless they're particularly funny (see: Sora's model freaking out because her phone stand collapsed, Nene's model disappearing due to her phone disconnecting in the middle of a duet of Connect with Kiara).

Why are they using phones? Are webcams illegal in japan?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Lor posted:

You mean this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ09xeK4--8

Yeah, that is up there as an all-time great =D

Yup. What you don't get from the clip is when that happened she'd already been watching the download for 45 minutes so the anticipation built.

pentyne posted:

they use iphones because the IR camera makes for better facial tracking

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

pentyne posted:

The phones have the motion capture software on them, which offloads that workload from the computer.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

pentyne posted:

iPhone has some proprietary face tracking sensor thing that HoloApp takes advantage of. That and I don't think their inhouse tech has been ported to computer at all. The more popular vtubing app that everyone else uses has been tho.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also setting up a phone as a webcam with a cheap mount is super easy now and probably higher resolution. There's basically no reason these days to buy a webcam when you almost certainly have a better camera on your phone.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
some other jp scuff moments off the top of my head:

-Korone's entire debut
-Rusia breaks her wii u
-Towa connects to a random camera somewhere in her house
-of course the legendary 'Watame did nothing wrong' and also Moona didn't either

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kild posted:

reminder that polka spent like $800 on a router in an attempt to fix her internet when it turned out that she was using a phone cord instead of an ethernet cord somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFKhnaA1r4k found the clip

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kild posted:

Should have spent the money on butter and chives instead.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Revolver Bunker posted:

Speaking of Elite Miko she is going to have her own themed cafe coming up later this month.

https://www.sofmap.com/tenpo/stellamap/collabo/cafe_sakuramiko.html

Food looks pretty good. Also Miko will show up on screens as the "manager" of the cafe.

I'm surprised we got a Miko cafe before Aqua or a general Hololive one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

Y'know, I think I found the key success of most of these vTubers. Even the "idol-esque" ones have a very relatable energy, and what's better than doing a gently caress-up I myself did several years ago.

For real, though. :cawg:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I currently think Pretty Cure.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

njsykora posted:

Also a difference between a tossed off (heh) joke on stream and a full stream or series idea. Anyway look at Ina hunting Axolotls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhQ6EkjLl4c
:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ina plus axolotls is perfect.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
I've run out of material in my Vtuber feet folder. Anyone have any recommendations?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

pentyne posted:

I think the intial premise of Hololive was a vtuber phone app that's suppose to be easy enough that anyone with an iphone and their app can become a vtuber. Nothing else needed.

They even demonstrated this by giving absolutely no support or oversight to the first and second gen Hololive members. And half of them are now 1 million subbed vtubers. It's just that easy!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ruffini posted:

I've run out of material in my Vtuber feet folder. Anyone have any recommendations?

https://twitter.com/robocosan/status/1371438095107690498

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Oren-Chan is Celebrating her 1st Anniversary as a V-tuber right now!
She's has promised to sing for us, so come and join the party if you're not to busy blowing yourself up right now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0s4o056_k

Ruffini posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_0uyi0oKqo

Mr.Flibble fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hi! Feel free to nip that nonsense in the bud, please and thank you!