Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So Jean Grey is a better telepath than Xavier is now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

So Jean Grey is a better telepath than Xavier is now?

Yeah.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The weirdest thing about the handwavey Omega classification is how apparently Manifold isn't an Omega. Dude literally talks to the fabric of the universe and it does him favours, like teleporting anywhere, turning invisible, or lending him a little bit of the Sun in a fold-space container. How the gently caress do you top that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DigitalRaven posted:

The weirdest thing about the handwavey Omega classification is how apparently Manifold isn't an Omega. Dude literally talks to the fabric of the universe and it does him favours, like teleporting anywhere, turning invisible, or lending him a little bit of the Sun in a fold-space container. How the gently caress do you top that?

I have a feeling there might be an updated list at some point. Dying on Arrakoa apparently makes you "sharper" in some nebulous sense that isn't properly defined but is awesome enough other mutants wanna do it just because, what happens if an Omega dies there?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does every mutant with some elemental/energy control get enough power creep eventually that they end up in the omega conversation?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DigitalRaven posted:

"And yet...Not an Omega. Doesn't that worry you, Eden? That somewhere there's someone more?" Literally the last line of dialogue before he starts doing his sun trick.

Either Manifold is going to figure out he is an omega mutant, or that he's going to run into some other Manifold type who can transport entire planets, or move through different universes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Does every mutant with some elemental/energy control get enough power creep eventually that they end up in the omega conversation?

Yeah, probably.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

"And yet...Not an Omega. Doesn't that worry you, Eden? That somewhere there's someone more?" Literally the last line of dialogue before he starts doing his sun trick.

Either Manifold is going to figure out he is an omega mutant, or that he's going to run into some other Manifold type who can transport entire planets, or move through different universes.

Huh. I'd totally forgotten that line. Bizarre.

What's the odds that Ewing's setting something up for six or twelve months down the line?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Huh. I'd totally forgotten that line. Bizarre.

What's the odds that Ewing's setting something up for six or twelve months down the line?

Pretty good, He's done poo poo like that with his Ultimates before, and he's working on a line with Hickman as head guy

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ewing rules as Hickman’s ancillary guy. Like Tomasi or Tynion on the secondary Batman books.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Pretty good, He's done poo poo like that with his Ultimates before, and he's working on a line with Hickman as head guy

Ewing and Hickman... silly of me to even ask.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ewing rules as Hickman’s ancillary guy. Like Tomasi or Tynion on the secondary Batman books.

I get what you mean, but isn't Tynion the main Batman guy now?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He is. I was a lot more interested in his Detective Comics.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is anyone aware of an archive of Bendis’s police station bits?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Beerdeer posted:

Is anyone aware of an archive of Bendis’s police station bits?

I think this is all of them except for the last one with Bendis himself
https://imgur.com/a/9dORr

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Missing the Gwenpool scene from...actually I can't remember what book that was in, but she's complaining about being in a fuckin bendis book

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Missing the Gwenpool scene from...actually I can't remember what book that was in, but she's complaining about being in a fuckin bendis book

Weren't all the police station scenes from various issues of Ultimate Spider-Man?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd have to look it up but I think it was from his Jessica Jones revival

e: okay so gwen was in a jessica jones police station scene

but the one where she talks about bendis was actually in rocket and groot, which wasn't written by bendis

got those mixed up, my bad

site fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 4, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

I think this is all of them except for the last one with Bendis himself
https://imgur.com/a/9dORr

The last one is the first one in that imgur gallery, Bendis is the bald guy with his back turned.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm glad I never read Glenpool. Both those scenes suck.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

The last one is the first one in that imgur gallery, Bendis is the bald guy with his back turned.
The one where Brian Michael Bendis is in the role of "weird person [who is commenting on something from a different comic book company and/or "universe"] ranting in a police station" is Defenders (the 2017 volume) #9, which was one of his last Marvel books before heading over to DC.

The two arresting officers are modeled after David Marquez and Justin Ponsor, the artists of the issue. [Ultimate] David Marquez is also seen in the first imgur gallery image as [Ultimate] Brian Michael Bendis's partner, don't know who the officer perp walking [Ultimate] Jonathan Hickman there is though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ahhhh, missed that one

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm glad I never read Glenpool. Both those scenes suck.

Gwenpool's series sounds like a terrible idea, but it turned out really great. Especially toward the end. And everybody else who has written here has just gone with "LOL! She knows she's in a comic!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Gwenpool's series sounds like a terrible idea, but it turned out really great. Especially toward the end. And everybody else who has written here has just gone with "LOL! She knows she's in a comic!"

Yeah. I think the most blatant was Gwenpool in Mark Waid's Champions because not only is she doing the one-note joke it's also crashing the attempt the book at making at being socially aware. (I think for police violence in this case.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no one's really gotten the character right since Hastings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

She was fine in Thompson's short lived West Coast Avengers. Hastings is the best, but I thought she worked well in that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Read through Indestructible Hulk and it ends on a cliffhanger despite making it clear that it was the last issue, so I’m assuming it leads into an Avengers book or something but I can’t find any guides that mention it, where should I be looking

E: well that was stupidly easy. Thanks

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 12, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Retro Futurist posted:

Read through Indestructible Hulk and it ends on a cliffhanger despite making it clear that it was the last issue, so I’m assuming it leads into an Avengers book or something but I can’t find any guides that mention it, where should I be looking
The series continued with a new #1 as simply "Hulk" (the 2014 volume)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Can Storm cause extreme heat and cold?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Can Storm cause extreme heat and cold?

Via weather, but not on her own. Like she can't hold something and make it hot or cold, but she could cause a blizzard or a heat wave.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Skwirl posted:

Via weather, but not on her own. Like she can't hold something and make it hot or cold, but she could cause a snowstorm or a heat wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZiYxQ3nv0

:colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Storm has been shown with the ability to fire lightning bolts from her hands in some things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Storm has been shown with the ability to fire lightning bolts from her hands in some things.

Considering how fast lightning is it really wouldn't be functionally different than bringing it down from the sky anyway (unless she's inside).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Why are comic cover dates one month in the future?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Why are comic cover dates one month in the future?

Cover dates are not the release date. It all goes back to magazine distribution. The way magazines were sold is that a newsstand or market would get a big pile of magazines and they'd pay the distributor for the copies they sold and get refunds for the copies they didn't. But paper is heavy and nobody wants to carry back all of those magazines to the distribution center to be pulped. So what they did was vendors could tear the cover off and just return that for the full refund. The dates on comics and magazines were when the seller was allowed to tear the cover off and return it. Back when newsstand distribution was still a serious thing, this date was about three months after they got the comic. In the 90's, when newsstand distribution was all but dead, comic companies decided to just bring the dates forward to about a month in the future.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I felt like the biggest jerk in the world after I explained that to my friend who gave me a poster with a bunch of August 1985 cover dates on them. I should have kept my mouth shut, but there’s a pedantic nerd in all of us.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I felt like the biggest jerk in the world after I explained that to my friend who gave me a poster with a bunch of August 1985 cover dates on them. I should have kept my mouth shut, but there’s a pedantic nerd in all of us.

Was this supposed to be a birthday thing?

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

This is a long shot, particularly because I never actually even read the comic, but if someone could help me rustle up some panels, I'd be really grateful.

The generic outline of the scene I'm looking for is that some mutilated guy (in a trenchcoat and bandages?) is watching TVs through a store window, and the person responsible for mutilating him turns up on TV, and the mutilated guy gets angry and smashes the windows. Broad to the point of useless, right? The part that stuck with me is the character's internal monologue: Something about how the nerve and brain damage he's taken should make anger physiologically impossible, so the rage that he's feeling must be (paraphrasing crazy hard) "a gift raining down from God". Something to that effect. The scene made an impact on me, even if I've lost some of the specifics over the years.

I know it sounds like it, but I'm pretty sure this isn't Darkman. For some reason I actually think it might be a manga. Does this ring a bell for anybody?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Freex or Ultraforce maybe? There was an undead guy with some bandages in the Ultraverse I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unknown Soldier as well, which was 60s-80s but had a gritty Garth Ennis relaunch in the late 90s and probably had come back again more recently.