Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Started reading Liar Game and uh, does the protagonist ever get any more agency? I'm 24 chapters in and she's done nothing but fall for every ridiculously obvious lie and then cry until genius guy comes to save her. I'm down if she grows into a more independent character but there's been literally zero foreshadowing of that so far. Also a trans character who's a manipulative liar is pretty yikes, though this was back in like 05 so not surprising.

Like the games and solutions are cool, but boy am I not a huge fan of the character interactions.

Yes, this manga has character development in it. Nao changes, and so does Fukunaga for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Elusive Samurai Oh Skokan lived. I did not expect that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Train fights are always cool and Sakamoto's train fight is no different.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah Sakamoto was really the stand out this week since Mashle is still stuck in Mashless purgatory.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Kagu-nayn returns in Witch Watch! :sludgepal:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Looks like Candy Flurry is next up on the chopping block, unless something changes.

I hope the author can turn things around, the series is quite charming.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Train fights are always cool and Sakamoto's train fight is no different.

:same:

Also we're already entering the Fuinjutsu phase of the Mashle Hokage battle. Seriously though, Time powers are busted and man just aging whole sections of the body is rough

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So how bout that new series huh? It's... something. :geno:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe the martial arts club will turn out to be full of interesting characters!

Even the title is pretty generic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's sort of a claustrophobic vibe to some of the paneling...i didn't really like it. nice look to the art though, so i hope it can hit a stride

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought it was fine, and yea it has a nice art style

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mikl posted:

Looks like Candy Flurry is next up on the chopping block, unless something changes.

I hope the author can turn things around, the series is quite charming.

God I hope not.
Its got a real Zatch Bell vibe to it and i love it.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Magu-Chan :ohdear:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm a little surprised how well Blue Box is doing, despite, as far as I can tell, very little actually happening in it (although this week's chapter had some actual sports action for once). It makes me vaguely worried that Japanese teenagers actually have more sophisticated taste than I do, lol.

I'm a little worried for Candy Flurry, but at least it has the cushion of Magu-chan below it. Normally comedy manga get a bit more slack in order to maintain some genre diversity, but with Roboco, Witch Watch, and High School Family around and doing fine, I think Magu-chan might be next on the chopping block.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m surprised it’s not doing better than Yozakura. I tried getting into that when I first got the Shonen Jump app and it was so aggressively mediocre. It was terrible, but I couldn’t say a good thing about it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mumbling posted:

Magu-Chan :ohdear:

Please, Magu-chan, you can do it!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I’m surprised it’s not doing better than Yozakura. I tried getting into that when I first got the Shonen Jump app and it was so aggressively mediocre. It was terrible, but I couldn’t say a good thing about it.

Yozakura's got the benefits of being a long time survivor. As the sixth oldest series in Jump right now (and yes, the current lineup is notably newbie heavy) it has a certain level of cushion in the surveys from people who've gotten used to it and mention it, top spot or otherwise. It survived through a lot of purges by sheer luck, and got to sell steadily.

Meanwhile, Candy Flurry, although it picked up as it went, started out feeling very, very unnecessary, with nothing to make it stand out as a battle manga. The candy theme is also a hard sell compared to MHA's superheroes or Chainsaw Man's grindhouse monster fights.

Basically, some of this seems to be standard spirals. Success breeds success, and failure breeds failure, independent of narrative merit.

Moving past speaking of the at risk to the dead proper, I think the failure of Nine Dragons is pretty easy to understand. It came in thinking it could go, at minimum, most of a year before forming the team. There's a reason most team sports manga start with something established. You want to be able to get to "real" games quickly. Instead, we spend two chapters early on getting a third player as a DH with no real baseball action. Combine that with fairly generic art, and it's no surprise that it ended early, even as the only pure spokon in Jump.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like Yokazura's art. The characters are all fun. It's got extreme Reborn when Reborn was good energy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

I like Yokazura's art. The characters are all fun. It's got extreme Reborn when Reborn was good energy.

yeah this is definitely the vibe it gives me. Taiyo and Mutsumi are an adorable/disgusting couple, Grandpa Yozakura is all around amazing, it has great gooey downtime chapters like baby Taiyo or the recent one of them raising the dog girl, and its goofy bloodless underworld is pretty entertaining. that the recent more serious and lore-heavy arc turned out well was a surprise to me, but i enjoyed it a lot.

Candy Flurry just seemed like something i don't know why they picked up with how it has struggled. this popcorn dude who is now gone was the first time i remotely cared about it, so i guess hopefully they keep that energy up, but i honestly wouldn't miss it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the candy gimmick feels a bit thin

like the first chapter said the toy joy gives you the ability to create sweets, the super powered are called sweets users, and it didn't even take 10 chapters to get a popcorn guy. he's not even specifically caramel corn

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

having a popcorn guy was probably to give us the incredible popcorn kernel bomb vest gag and for that i'm extremely grateful

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m glad existing and successful shonen series, unlike new ones, have the freedom to be incredibly slow-paced and weird.

Now time to open up my favorite monthly series in the test-taking genre, World Trigger.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

its a very ominous chapter. unrelated,

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sakamoto was very good this week. The fight scenes were amazing.

Roboco was funny, props to the translator. The whole "Bop a T(oya)" bit was hilarious, like, a Dabi Dance reference out of nowhere just caught me off guard.

Mashle isn't doing it for me right now because I do not care about the headmaster showing up to be super strong just so he can die to the even stronger big bad.

I hope Candy Flurry lives longer, I like the cast so far.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what do you mean, I'm sure the 3rd hokage can beat orochimaru

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wow, so they're killing dumbledore after only a year and change

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I like Mashle when it is being goofy. The serious fights don't really interest me, although there was that creepy visual when they introduced this villain.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Orochimaru at least killed the 3rd Hokage (by forcing him to kill himself).

Voldemort constantly ran away from Dumbledore and the only reason Dumbledore died was to power Harry up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm upset for Magu-chan, I really like the central joke to the series.

edit: That one part where the sporty girl is sassing Magu was extremely funny; the artist did a very good job with the faces (I think at the time I commented on it having a vaguely similar approach to character faces as that "My Monster Secret" manga).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If a series gets the axe I'd honestly like Magu Chan to get it. I like Magu chan, but it feels like the writer has no idea where it wants to go or what it wants to do anymore. And I'm fine with that, Magu chan has had some good and sweet moments and some odd missteps. But let Magu Chan go out on a high note.
That said, this chapter was pretty good and feels oddly like the start of a final arc. :ohdear: Loved that girl dreaming of herself sleeping.

Mashle I really wonder how these chapters are getting received in Japan. It's such a departure from the general conceit that I (personally) loved about Mashle. We all watch it to see some haughty magic dick flaunt his magic, explain why you can never win against his amazing and invincible powers only to get completely non sold by complete and utter bullshit. Preferably with some absolutely kick rear end art to sell the moment. And top it off with some smack talk.
This however has just been pretty generic shounen with some guys we don't know and don't really care about.
Like why do we care if Dumbliruzen dies? I mean he was a good guy who accepted Mash immediately but beyond that. :shrug:
Also a little surprised at the art of this chapter, it wasn't that great.

Sakamoto :suspense: I wonder if he'll get back in time for the climax.
You now I do enjoy how Sakamoto loses weight and no one (except Shin) really pays attention to it. It's really just a short hand for us the readers to show he's getting real serious.

Witch Watch: This chapter was honestly super cool. It had the patently ridiculous setup with the cat witch, but then swerves at the end to the warlock. Honestly, that's a pretty cool cliff hanger to an otherwise fun and lighthearted chapter. But please don't swerve hard into battle shounen. :negative:

Nine Dragonballs: And that's a wrap.

chiasaur11 posted:

Moving past speaking of the at risk to the dead proper, I think the failure of Nine Dragons is pretty easy to understand. It came in thinking it could go, at minimum, most of a year before forming the team. There's a reason most team sports manga start with something established. You want to be able to get to "real" games quickly. Instead, we spend two chapters early on getting a third player as a DH with no real baseball action. Combine that with fairly generic art, and it's no surprise that it ended early, even as the only pure spokon in Jump.
I'd say the other problem with the first arc is that it was completely by the numbers. The moment they found Tsurugi in the shop with 0 adults and 2 siblings we all knew how this was going to go. So not only was the author apparently planning on doing 3 chapters times how many players do we need, but he was also going for a bunch of extremely standard plots.
Like the third guy they picked who was an all rounder. I'm absolutely certain that had the mangaka not switched into high gear at that point that he would've gone for the Kokuryuzan guys going after the wrong guy at first. You know, the dude who also had a few panels where people were praising him for being the best of the team.

Candy Flurry Is weird. It was a hard sell as others said. It also started a little uneven, but currently it's pretty enjoyable. Everyone is just dumb and it's at least a little amusing to read. But I don't really find myself attached to the world in any way. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it died and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I do like the lead actually, she kicks rear end.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Witch Watch: This chapter was honestly super cool. It had the patently ridiculous setup with the cat witch, but then swerves at the end to the warlock. Honestly, that's a pretty cool cliff hanger to an otherwise fun and lighthearted chapter. But please don't swerve hard into battle shounen. :negative:

I hope they quickly defeat the Warlock and it becomes just a recurring gag where the Warlock tries to capture Nico but fails. Also eventually the evil gang develops an uneasy friendship with the main cast.

Well, that's how I'd write it anyway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh yeah since no one posted about it yet

Look at these two! :kimchi:

I mean they're trying to devour a whole village, but still!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh yeah since no one posted about it yet

Look at these two! :kimchi:

I mean they're trying to devour a whole village, but still!

Really strong start, especially in terms of style. I like how the "Smart" werewolf was STUNNED that the kid noticed a stranger in a village of like fifty to a hundred people. The only reason the others didn't notice was because they were scared, idiot! Just about anyone in the village probably could have done that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I'm digging Red Hood so far. I hope it leans into the angle of the party game of werewolf rather than battle shonen - I would totally be down for a series that's mostly based around different whodunit scenarios trying to puzzle out who the werewolves are, with a payoff of a cool action scene.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I'm digging Red Hood so far. I hope it leans into the angle of the party game of werewolf rather than battle shonen - I would totally be down for a series that's mostly based around different whodunit scenarios trying to puzzle out who the werewolves are, with a payoff of a cool action scene.

Wasn't early Claymore sort of like that? Not for very long, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like the first half of the first chapter of claymore, yeah. youma were revealed as soon as a claymore showed up because they could effortlessly pick them out of a crowd.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm sure they'll get out of the village next chapter, but this one just kind of feels like it's already spinning wheels by doing this fluff conflict with a couple stupid werewolves.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

More dress rehearsals and fake fights I'm sure with the stupid rear end e-sports commentary for padding. No regrets dropping that trainwreck of a manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

like the first half of the first chapter of claymore, yeah. youma were revealed as soon as a claymore showed up because they could effortlessly pick them out of a crowd.

I was specifically thinking of the short arc with the youma in the church, where it turned out that the youma was disguised as a corpse. But yeah, I guess that was pretty much the only example in Claymore.

Though a lot of early chapters of mediocre monster-hunter shonen manga (D. Gray Man, Phantom Seer, etc.) have plots where is seems like the monster of the week is disguised as X, but actually it's disguised as Y. Actually, it's a pretty standard shonen manga trope in general, really. There was a pretty funny implementation of it in the Dark Blue Moon arc of Stardust Crusaders. It's a fun trope in moderation, although it tends to be a bit predictable because these sort of "mysteries" tend to have only 2 or so suspects.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

dogsicle posted:

I absolutely love that the cliffhanger at the end of ch. 209 was Mikumo’s laptop running out of juice before he could do his homework.

World Trigger isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it’s unique enough to keep me coming back for more every time!