Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
How worried should I be about a 'tippy' 2015 Macbook Pro? Corner-to-corner it's a little off Balance, maybe due to a swelling battery? I'm not sure. It's probably either replace the battery, or go to an M1 MBA, but I was hoping tp wait until the rumored 14" MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I got a used Magic Trackpad and keyboard off eBay. The latest model with the lightning charge port. Am I supposed to put it into pairing mode somehow? I'm assuming they are still paired to the sellers device.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I got a used Magic Trackpad and keyboard off eBay. The latest model with the lightning charge port. Am I supposed to put it into pairing mode somehow? I'm assuming they are still paired to the sellers device.

Plug it into your device (Mac of whatever sort). Will pair automagically.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ultimate Mango posted:

Plug it into your device (Mac of whatever sort). Will pair automagically.

Ah thanks this worked on a Mac but what if I only had an iPad?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't think you can use a Magic Keyboard and Trackpad on an iPad, you'd need the Magic Keyboard case for that.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shaocaholica posted:

If your iPad has a USB-C port you can probably use a USB-C to Lightning cable to plug them directly into the iPad for the same easy pairing process that the Mac has.

If you don't have that cable but you can pair them with your Mac I think you can probably do that and 'forget' the connection in Bluetooth options and then connect them using the Bluetooth menu on the iPad. I've got a Magic Mouse paired to my iPad Pro but I can't actually remember if I paired it through bluetooth or via a cable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

njsykora posted:

I don't think you can use a Magic Keyboard and Trackpad on an iPad, you'd need the Magic Keyboard case for that.

this took fifteen seconds

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/connect-magic-trackpad-ipad6b9203a2/ipados

and I can tell you firsthand that the Magic Keyboard works with iPad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
like it probably took me less time to look up the right answer than it took you to say some bullshit

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

irpoweroutlet posted:

If you’ve budgeted ~$1,000 for a laptop and its limitations work for you, I don’t think there’s anything better

To be honest I am thinking about the 16/512 model to go to the extra mile and using xcode as well and not get sidetracked by obsolescence.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ok Comboomer posted:

like it probably took me less time to look up the right answer than it took you to say some bullshit

Or I was making an off the cuff assumption based on that the iPad has its own suite of keyboard accessories and can accept being wrong, no need to be a dick about it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
People don't post support questions for you to make up answers to.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
speculative responses to good-faith technical questions regarding poo poo like purchases and repairs are counterproductive rather than helpful

If I have a specific question about something like a car repair or an OS update that might break one of my projects or a gear purchase costing hundreds of dollars or whatever the last person I want guiding my decisions is an internet stranger with a burning desire to :justpost: authoritatively speaking from their rear end

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

njsykora posted:

Or I was making an off the cuff assumption based on that the iPad has its own suite of keyboard accessories and can accept being wrong, no need to be a dick about it.

iPads work fine with standard Bluetooth keyboards and mice. The only pain-in-the-rear end thing is that you'll have to remap Caps Lock or whatever to the Globe key (in Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard) because that's where they're putting OS-wide keyboard shortcuts in iPadOS 15.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 2, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

A heads up, there is a separate iPad thread if you have follow ups

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

frogbs posted:

How worried should I be about a 'tippy' 2015 Macbook Pro? Corner-to-corner it's a little off Balance, maybe due to a swelling battery? I'm not sure. It's probably either replace the battery, or go to an M1 MBA, but I was hoping tp wait until the rumored 14" MBP.

Take off the bottom cover with a pentalobe driver and look at the battery; if any of the cells look like they're puffed up or expanding, definitely get the battery switched out at a Fruit Stand. If you decide to wait too long with those expanding cells, there could be a rupture (battery guts leak out and destroy your machine) or a thermal event (battery catches fire, same results)

At the worst, Apple will charge you $199 for the swap and you get a new keyboard, trackpad, speakers and battery, which will make it ideal if you intend to sell it later on..

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

A heads up, there is a separate iPad thread if you have follow ups

That’s why I provided a Mac answer for the question. It’s cool that they work with iPads too.

I mean the lines are starting to blur pretty hard with the exception of the lame iPadOS part. Just give me one OS and adjust it to the form factor its in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ok Comboomer posted:

There’s actually an iPhone thread for this sort of thing, but I have the Spigen Ultra Hybrid in “Crystal Clear” on my 12 Pro and I really like it. It really works nicely with the blue phone.

link?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m really struggling to think of what I would ever do that my next Mac should be an MPB vs just an M1 Air. I think the most resource intensive thing I do is photo editing, and then after that it really falls off to just running vscode on dinky small projects and spending a ton of time in Terminal.app, Safari, Discord and Telegram.

I mean on the intel side I used to run a bunch of VMs so I bought the beefiest machine I could to pop open that Win10 VM if I needed it for some esoteric software. Since the ARM switch I since dedicated a server to virtualization so I don’t really have a need to do any of that locally anymore.

And yet I still can’t bring myself to buy an Air because of the dated look. I know this is literally the stupidest reason but here we are. I just don’t like how Airs look, and when pressed I can’t really articulate why.

I’m going to hold out for the expected redesign but if it doesn’t happen I’ll probably just need to Get Over It (tm).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

That’s why I provided a Mac answer for the question. It’s cool that they work with iPads too.

I mean the lines are starting to blur pretty hard with the exception of the lame iPadOS part. Just give me one OS and adjust it to the form factor its in.

Windows thread is thataway :smug:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I too want a bad tablet and bad laptop all in one!

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I’m really struggling to think of what I would ever do that my next Mac should be an MPB vs just an M1 Air. I think the most resource intensive thing I do is photo editing, and then after that it really falls off to just running vscode on dinky small projects and spending a ton of time in Terminal.app, Safari, Discord and Telegram.

I mean on the intel side I used to run a bunch of VMs so I bought the beefiest machine I could to pop open that Win10 VM if I needed it for some esoteric software. Since the ARM switch I since dedicated a server to virtualization so I don’t really have a need to do any of that locally anymore.

And yet I still can’t bring myself to buy an Air because of the dated look. I know this is literally the stupidest reason but here we are. I just don’t like how Airs look, and when pressed I can’t really articulate why.

I’m going to hold out for the expected redesign but if it doesn’t happen I’ll probably just need to Get Over It (tm).

you probably want the 'dated' look before they start slimming down the case and put in a tiny battery eg. cutting the 20+ hour battery life air to 10 hours

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have they ever reduced the battery life so drastically between generations before?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hatty posted:

Have they ever reduced the battery life so drastically between generations before?

No

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hatty posted:

say what?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

coke posted:

you probably want the 'dated' look before they start slimming down the case and put in a tiny battery eg. cutting the 20+ hour battery life air to 10 hours

In all honesty I’d love a new MBA to replace my long suffering 2015 MBP, but I am holding out hope for a refresh using the new iMac color options…

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m having trouble imagining a redesign to fit with the new iMac aesthetic that doesn’t make the new MBA or MBP just look like a bigger iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard except with a simpler hinge.

And honestly? I’d be all about that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I’m having trouble imagining a redesign to fit with the new iMac aesthetic that doesn’t make the new MBA or MBP just look like a bigger iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard except with a simpler hinge.

And honestly? I’d be all about that.
White light gray bezel and colors! But yeah flat slabs, except fat on bottom and thin on top I guess.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IMO they don't really need to redesign the MBP or MBA except to update with the new color scheme options and get rid of the touch bar. The back will be matte and front more vibrant to match the iMac.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
imo i expect them to relaunch the air using the design language of the ahead-of-its-time macbook

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

imo i expect them to relaunch the air using the design language of the ahead-of-its-time macbook

isn’t that what the current Air is?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ok Comboomer posted:

isn’t that what the current Air is?

i guess you’re right; i didn’t realize it was so wedge shaped still. i think maybe because it was just thinner overall i didn’t notice since i didn’t have one.

still it seems like a good opportunity to do to the air line what they did to the ipads. nice and flat and uniformly thick. it would still be distinguished from the pros by being thinner / coloured / whatever

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah the Air could use some tweaks. It's design hasn't changed much but the MBP has gotten thinner over the generations to the point that it's now thinner than the MBA at it's thickest point and has a smaller footprint.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bloodysabbath posted:

In all honesty I’d love a new MBA to replace my long suffering 2015 MBP, but I am holding out hope for a refresh using the new iMac color options…

Rumors they’ll do that end of this year (debating between that and the 14 whenever it’s released).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

IMO they don't really need to redesign the MBP or MBA except to update with the new color scheme options and get rid of the touch bar. The back will be matte and front more vibrant to match the iMac.
Please bring back the matte anti-glare screen for my next laptop

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TACD posted:

Please bring back the matte anti-glare screen for my next laptop
$500 nano texture option :retrogames:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

How long does it take for apple to send iPad Pros to stores? I ordered June 10th and I've been waiting for over three weeks now. I wouldn't have even ordered to the store if I had to wait but when I put it in my cart with the keyboard it said I could pick up the next day... I didn't know they'd let me pick up *just* the keyboard so now I've been idling with this $300 keyboard I can't even use for almost a month.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

anothergod posted:

How long does it take for apple to send iPad Pros to stores? I ordered June 10th and I've been waiting for over three weeks now. I wouldn't have even ordered to the store if I had to wait but when I put it in my cart with the keyboard it said I could pick up the next day... I didn't know they'd let me pick up *just* the keyboard so now I've been idling with this $300 keyboard I can't even use for almost a month.

I’d call or chat and see what’s going on. I’m not aware of an iPad shortage, so something probably just went wrong.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

mediaphage posted:

I would probably buy this honestly.

I really liked the one USB-C Macbook it was just too expensive at launch for what I needed a laptop for at the time.

At this point my personal laptops are basically glorified netbooks that I take on the road for the sole purpose of browsing the internet on a device my company is not tracking.

It is pretty uncommon for me to plug anything into it at this point in 2021.

In 2014 or whenever it was new... Yeah that wouldn't have worked out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The one thing I legitimately still miss on a laptop is SD card slots. I do enough photo work that it’s noticeable. I have the dongles, I’d rather it be built in. But I’m not getting that on a modern mac so I’ve made my peace with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

64bit_Dophins posted:

I would probably buy this honestly.

I really liked the one USB-C Macbook it was just too expensive at launch for what I needed a laptop for at the time.

At this point my personal laptops are basically glorified netbooks that I take on the road for the sole purpose of browsing the internet on a device my company is not tracking.

It is pretty uncommon for me to plug anything into it at this point in 2021.

In 2014 or whenever it was new... Yeah that wouldn't have worked out.

Yeah I tried the MacBook and even the higher end CPUs were pretty sluggish in basic web browser use, and I didn't fancy being stuck for a few years with a machine that was already slow. I still had a need then to use a Windows VM a few times a month and it was completely unsuited for that.