Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you saw eureka seven, you saw a gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah key things to know about Gundam are 1) there are way too many distinct Gundam canons, most shows are their own canon 2) even within a canon, there's usually a core story and lots of side stories 3) even in the "UC" canon, which is the original and biggest, a lot of stuff is fairly standalone side material, or separated by time so much it's not relevant to the core story.

it's like, if you were trying to get into Star Wars and never saw anything to do with it before or something and were intimidated by all the books, comics, TV shows, the fact that there's 9 mainline movies now, etc. People would end up just telling you "watch the original movie, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi and then figure out what else you want to engage with, if anything".

Except with Gundam, especially Gundam stuff in the original "UC" continuity, it's "watch the original Gundam stuff, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack for the core stuff" and then you can go from there to pretty much anything else and you'd have the core background works you'd have been expected to see to add more background texture. And even then a lot of stuff would stand pretty well on its own.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just watch turn-a

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If a man wears a red Baron costume with raybans he's the main rival character

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That whiny kid getting slapped? Hero

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That other kid threatening to kill everyone? Heero.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arcsquad12 posted:

That other kid threatening to kill everyone? Heero.

:golfclap:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
im the one who thinks zz is the coolest part of the 80s tomino gundams and like it more than zeta and cca

however zz is also in the bizarre position of being built off zeta, but being very little like zeta, and being at its weakest when it's trying to be like zeta, and only really contributing a few things to cca

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 4, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also the most 80s thing imaginable and Chara Soon and Haman's hair metal outfits are impeccable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love that the arguably main villain of zz is a wimpy boy who'd be like the bad guy who dies in act 1 in any other gundam anime and his arc is him continuously trying as hard as possible to come off more threatening and consistently failing, and at one point he's having a conversation with a guy who's spent his life in the middle east fighting for his peoples' freedom and he just asks him "why can't you fight for your freedom in space?"

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
There's a lot to like about ZZ yeah, it's just in a weird place in terms of how "essential" it is to understanding Gundam well enough to just watch whatever you want

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My boy best himbo Mashymrye disappeared halfway through ZZ and came back angsty and psychic. What a tragedy.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched the first episode of Origin last night and it was cool. It felt a bit like a wackier LotGH story.

I wonder if it says something that I immediately recognised Char but I don't remember anything about the protagonist of the original series...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What should I watch if my favorite Gundam weapon is the Moebius Zero?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0079 because it has the Zakrello which is the superior Mobile Armor.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

0079 because it has the Zakrello which is the superior Mobile Armor.

I like space ships that don't look like Pokemon.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

I like space ships that don't look like Pokemon.

?????????????????

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PerniciousKnid posted:

What should I watch if my favorite Gundam weapon is the Moebius Zero?

Outlaw Star.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Outlaw Star.

Nah that's for fans of the Bigro

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I watched the first episode of Origin last night and it was cool. It felt a bit like a wackier LotGH story.

I wonder if it says something that I immediately recognised Char but I don't remember anything about the protagonist of the original series...

It's not too weird. Char is much more iconic than Amuro, and he's initially much cooler. Char's the badass Zeon ace in a custom uniform with a hidden agenda.

Amuro is a teenager who spends most of his time in a PTSD breakdown or trying to hide his PTSD breakdowns by being an rear end in a top hat. But as the series goes on, Amuro grows into the most talented pilot in the setting, an empathetic hero, and a mature adult (who still has serious PTSD and some interpersonal issues.) while Char's own piles of problems become more obvious.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any thoughts on Flying Witch if I'm looking for a relaxation/comfy type show?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's a solid one

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any thoughts on Flying Witch if I'm looking for a relaxation/comfy type show?

Yes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Flying Witch is a top tier One Of Those

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tales of Woe posted:

it's a solid one

Spiritus Nox posted:

Flying Witch is a top tier One Of Those

Watched the first 3 eps and yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What's some stuff with a similar tone to Kaiji, either animated or manga? I'm already working through Fukumoto's other work and loving Kurosawa, Legend Of The Strongest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Before E posted:

What's some stuff with a similar tone to Kaiji, either animated or manga? I'm already working through Fukumoto's other work and loving Kurosawa, Legend Of The Strongest.

You might have seen it already, but there's an spin-off for Kaiji that got an anime about Tonegawa.

Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues. It's fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I Before E posted:

One Outs has a similar vibe, especially the anime as it shares much of the same staff as Kaiji and Akagi.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
anyone got a recommendation for a tablet/good app to read manga on?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I've used both the super cheap Fire tablet (the 7 inch one that's like $50) and the 8 inch HD one that's like one step up and they've both worked well for what I did on them which was exclusively read books/manga/webtoons. The cons to the cheapest one of course is that it's incredibly slow vs the 8 inch one which is just kinda slow, and you have almost no internal memory -- most things will save to an SD card so it doesn't become that much of an issue, but I did have a problem where the Renta app would save only to internal storage and I kept running out of room so that was really annoying. Pros are it's like fifty bucks and you can sometimes find it even cheaper -- I've had two and one of them I only paid about $35 for because it was a refurbished one on sale.

You can sideload google play so you aren't trapped to only using amazon's apps also. I've currently got about 6 different webtoon apps plus Renta and Bookwalker but I probably read the bulk of everything just in the kindle app. I'm exclusively reading legal on my tablet though I can't really help you with apps that pull from scan sites.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

What Everything Burrito said. If you don't mind splurging a bit, you can get a pre-owned Galaxy Tab S4 priced between $180 and $260 if you look around and it's a phenomenal buy even if all you use it for is reading(much faster processor and more ram).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nthing Burrito's rec. I have a Fire HD8 and sideloaded Firefox onto it after sideloading the google play store.

I have the most current HD8 and it runs quite well upgrading from the 2017-8 model.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been really pleased with the HD8, it's not super expensive either and is probably worth the extra cost vs the dirt cheap one, but if I was traveling I might carry the 7 just so if something happened to it I wouldn't have lost much. I haven't messed around much with that Toolbox utility that lets you strip out a lot of the amazon stuff but that's what I'm going to do with my old one and see if I can get a little better function out of it.

The other thing that is a huge quality of life improvement with the 8 over the 7 is battery life, just fyi. I've been pretty impressed with how long it holds a charge.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Okay, I am loving Blue Reflection Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbt3ONAfAko

quote:

This is a story of connecting shining emotions. Joy, sadness, anger. Feelings are a power, invisible to the eye, that every person possesses. Sometimes this power is even capable of changing the world. Hiori Hirahara always has a positive attitude and can’t leave people in trouble alone. Ruki Hanari is socially awkward, she wants to get along well with others, but she doesn’t know how to go about it. How will the meeting of these two wildly different girls change not only them, but the world itself?

Loosely based on the Playstation 4 game Blue Refection, it takes some of the same beats and characters while changing up a lot of plot elements. So far it's near the end of the first season, with a second to start immediately after. It's doing incredibly poorly, but that doesn't mean it's bad it seems, but it does call into question its continuance.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 9, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019), which is a nightmare of a name but it's pretty nice. Great screen size for reading manga, runs pretty well and the only complaint I have is that it doesn't support HDMI output.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
The absolute worst harem anime that has a harem ending please.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

The Islamic Shock posted:

The absolute worst harem anime that has a harem ending please.

Aside from School Days (which is mandatory if you haven't seen it) I can't help much, but you could narrow down the search by clarifying what sort of 'worst' you're after. Like do you want [so bad it's good] dumb/raunchy/crass fun or do you want to torture yourself and/or your "friend(s)" with a [garbage fire known to the state of california to cause cancer] or whatnot?

Also gonna suspect that answers may vary depending on how far you're willing to delve into the Cringerrific Isekai WeebTrash abyss.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

silentsnack posted:

Aside from School Days (which is mandatory if you haven't seen it) I can't help much, but you could narrow down the search by clarifying what sort of 'worst' you're after. Like do you want [so bad it's good] dumb/raunchy/crass fun or do you want to torture yourself and/or your "friend(s)" with a [garbage fire known to the state of california to cause cancer] or whatnot?

Also gonna suspect that answers may vary depending on how far you're willing to delve into the Cringerrific Isekai WeebTrash abyss.
I actually haven't, on it. Something that would make Bill Hicks be grateful that he died of pancreatic cancer levels of torture please.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kämpfer, for the world's densest MC of all time.