Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

Are the unique mechwarriors with portraits actual characters or backer OCs or what?

They're kickstarter backers and their bios are very mary-sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Carcer posted:

Do you have a good ("good") fit for the PHX-1? I started a new game and Its one of the mechs I'm bieng forced to work with and the default fit (minus mgs) just doesn't feel good to use.

I go with 2xMG, 1xhalf-ton ammo, 3xML, max JJs (maybe -1 from max), rest is near max armor and HS.

For the light/medium phase of the game, it's a solid backstabber and flanker. The idea is to constantly jump into the rear and precision strike CTs and/or set off ammo. It should run cool enough that you don't need coolant flush, though it would be nice to have.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

As a quick note, if playing on career/you get to Flashpoints, you will want someone with Sensor Lock as well.
I never used the ability during the campaign honestly, and tend to typically reserve all my pilots actions unless fishing for headshots, but after the Raven Flashpoint mission you will want it

Don't know what this means. I'm going to try and get glitch better gunnery skills. Is it worth giving her tactics/gunnery to go above 5 or is it better for behemoth? I figure one can hang back and try and L laser some heads or something if that's possible

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Everyone's going to say get Bulwark first, then whatever you want.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

And Tyler Too! posted:

They're kickstarter backers and their bios are very mary-sue.

The ones I've read through have been mostly boring and no more cliche than the main story. The weirdest are the ones that outright say "x doesn't like mechwarrioring or even need to do it any more".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Most of them were toned down and sanitized by the HBS staff. Imagine how much worse they must have been before.

War Boar still takes a long walk off a short Locust though.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

And Tyler Too! posted:

When in doubt, cram your mechs full of medium lasers and heatsinks. Medium lasers are never a bad idea.

Small lasers and machine guns are great support weapons as well. Small lasers will shred some extra armor and machine guns will shred exposed structure.

Dunno, maybe I am doing it wrong but I found M Laser boats to be very damage inefficient at times. They just scatter their shots across the enemy mech unless you can a flank off. Very difficult to blow up certain parts of a mech to try and strip them of weapons. Almost done the campaign I think (the contract is the homeworld) and I actually used PPCs a lot throughout the game to try and punch through armor at range while kiting. Most of my attempts at a medium-ranged energy spammer just resulted in a lot of repairs due to internal damage from sustained slug fights so partway through I just basically stuck to making long ranged evasion mechs with PPCs and LRMs or ACs. If I had a mech with good usable tonnage for its class, I would up armor it and run in with AC20s and SRMs with called shots on CTs to try and one shot mechs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
After a few missions I think I'm going to try and make glitch a sniper of sorts to try and shoot heads/cts from distance and have behemoth be a mid-range boat, with the PC as the same. Dekker can just... be whatever the first new mech I get is.

It's hard to load a mrch up with weapons because of armour penalty. I think they're able to carry a lot fewer weapons than I think. The low tonnage of Mlasers and heat sinks makes me want to make laser boats but they seem pretty weak overall.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
An ac20 + 2 tons of ammo is 16 tons, does 100 damage and generates 24 heat. Assuming it's the only weapon bieng fired we end up at -6 heat, so 6 heat sinking capacity is bieng wasted.

6 medium lasers and 10 heat sinks is 16 tons, 150 damage and generates 72-30 heat for 42 heat, which drops down to 12 overall heat per volley, and we can even make it heat neutral if we only fire 5 lasers.

So you end up with 50% extra overall damage. Getting the flank really shouldn't be too hard, a single enemy unit can't be facing towards all of your units unless you're actively trying to stand in a line next to each other. I can't check since I can't find the stock armor loadouts for mechs, but I suspect this is nearly enough to core most mechs out with rear CT shots.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most of them were toned down and sanitized by the HBS staff. Imagine how much worse they must have been before.

War Boar still takes a long walk off a short Locust though.

Was War Boar the creepy "If only he could love again, but it hurts too much. If only sparkling-eyed brunettes would leave him alone" guy?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MikeC posted:

Dunno, maybe I am doing it wrong but I found M Laser boats to be very damage inefficient at times. They just scatter their shots across the enemy mech unless you can a flank off. Very difficult to blow up certain parts of a mech to try and strip them of weapons. Almost done the campaign I think (the contract is the homeworld) and I actually used PPCs a lot throughout the game to try and punch through armor at range while kiting. Most of my attempts at a medium-ranged energy spammer just resulted in a lot of repairs due to internal damage from sustained slug fights so partway through I just basically stuck to making long ranged evasion mechs with PPCs and LRMs or ACs. If I had a mech with good usable tonnage for its class, I would up armor it and run in with AC20s and SRMs with called shots on CTs to try and one shot mechs.

I'm using PPCs too, great range and they pack some stability damage to tip mechs that have been battered by LRMs. I've only filled up every laser outlet with Ms on a close quarters Thunderbolt (which also has 3 MGs).

Spreading damage around just seems inefficient unless I'm already either elbow deep or firing indirectly from a mile away. Better 50 damage in one spot than 100+ scattered about.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
PPCs in vanilla are absolute poo poo because they run too hot, 35 for regular and 45 for ER is a shitshow.

If you play with the heat modded down they suddenly become good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Generally if you're using medium lasers, you're also using other short-ranged weaponry like SRMs and heavy ACs, which do a ton of damage. You're also using jump jets for mobility and to get side shots, which cut the number of possible damage locations down to three. If you do a ton of damage to the side of a mech and blow off a leg, then you can do called shots until it gets back up. This is how you avoid spreading damage across an enemy.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Polaron posted:

Was War Boar the creepy "If only he could love again, but it hurts too much. If only sparkling-eyed brunettes would leave him alone" guy?

There are several of those. One had someone hit their head in basic training and decided that instead of being a davion peasant they were actually secret combine nobility.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stravag posted:

There are several of those. One had someone hit their head in basic training and decided that instead of being a davion peasant they were actually secret combine nobility.

There's one that's a super mary sue description that ends with "also, he's a crazy old man, so all that's bullshit"

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Carcer posted:

An ac20 + 2 tons of ammo is 16 tons, does 100 damage and generates 24 heat. Assuming it's the only weapon bieng fired we end up at -6 heat, so 6 heat sinking capacity is bieng wasted.

6 medium lasers and 10 heat sinks is 16 tons, 150 damage and generates 72-30 heat for 42 heat, which drops down to 12 overall heat per volley, and we can even make it heat neutral if we only fire 5 lasers.

So you end up with 50% extra overall damage. Getting the flank really shouldn't be too hard, a single enemy unit can't be facing towards all of your units unless you're actively trying to stand in a line next to each other. I can't check since I can't find the stock armor loadouts for mechs, but I suspect this is nearly enough to core most mechs out with rear CT shots.

Not arguing with math, just the practicality of it. Getting the flanks isn't too bad, getting rears as long as you have jump jets isn't too bad. It's getting the called shots on 6 M Lasers to actually hit the same spot while also not leaving your mech exposed to counterfire. That was what I found annoying. I'd rather spend the 3 tons not on jump jets but armoring up my front-facing to the max, staying medium long-range and kiting with PPCs, ACs, and LRMs while always having a front-facing to the enemy to spread out the incoming damage. Never had to repair much of anything after that.

I am sure you are right though and that M LAS boats work out best. Maybe I just fell into the trap of anything not optimal is called 'worthless' on the internet. Or maybe I am just bad at the game.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

sassassin posted:

I'm using PPCs too, great range and they pack some stability damage to tip mechs that have been battered by LRMs. I've only filled up every laser outlet with Ms on a close quarters Thunderbolt (which also has 3 MGs).

Spreading damage around just seems inefficient unless I'm already either elbow deep or firing indirectly from a mile away. Better 50 damage in one spot than 100+ scattered about.

As someone else said, if you're using unmodded PPCs they're terrible because their heat generation is out of line with their damage.

Kiting is something that works until it suddenly, violently, doesn't. 5 star missions will either run you of space, swamp you in 12 heavy/assault mechs you can't focus down or just annihilate your tanks under 12 mechs worth of fire.

MikeC posted:

Not arguing with math, just the practicality of it. Getting the flanks isn't too bad, getting rears as long as you have jump jets isn't too bad. It's getting the called shots on 6 M Lasers to actually hit the same spot while also not leaving your mech exposed to counterfire. That was what I found annoying. I'd rather spend the 3 tons not on jump jets but armoring up my front-facing to the max, staying medium long-range and kiting with PPCs, ACs, and LRMs while always having a front-facing to the enemy to spread out the incoming damage. Never had to repair much of anything after that.

I am sure you are right though and that M LAS boats work out best. Maybe I just fell into the trap of anything not optimal is called 'worthless' on the internet. Or maybe I am just bad at the game.

If you're at the point you have a mech that can mount 6ML you should have pilots with high tactics for the called shot bonuses. with tactics 9 you end up with something like an 80% chance for all your shots to hit a target location, so under this example you're expecting 120 damage to hit where you want it to vs 100 for the AC20.

Combining the above with coms systems in your mechs and consistently scoring kill shots you should honestly be able to kill at least an enemy mech each round by having one mech focus fire on the CT to open it up and the rest of your mechs pouring fire into it to finish it off, with any excess then softening up the next target, or even scoring another kill with a little luck.

To be clear, I'm not saying anything other than MLs are bad, especially when you start getting into the +/++/+++ variants, but if you're talking about what is going to for certain kill an enemy it's hard to beat mass MLs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

AC/20 also miss a lot more than ML, and adding more 0 damage attacks brings the average damage way down. Especially earlier in the game when you have lower gunnery pilots, every hit penalty/bonus is more pronounced.

ML have an innate aim bonus and no stacking accuracy penalties from recoil.

A large laser does 80% of the damage of a PPC (40 vs 50) at 70% of the weight (5t instead of 7t) and only generates 51% of the heat (18 instead of 35). It still has range beyond the base sight range of the game and has an innate accuracy bonus. It also has no minimum range penalty. In vanilla using a PPC over a large laser is basically always just wrong if you want a big energy weapon.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Oh yeah I forgot to factor in the all or nothing nature of AC20s and PPCs. AC20s also have a big issue with ammo dependance and can you leave you in the lurch while a ML boat will keep firing till it dies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In the early game an AC20 is going to oneshot a lot of enemies so only hitting 50% of the time with one is fine. You're still more likely to do meaningful damage than 6 m lasers (if you have enough outlets for that) flanking one of the beefier light mechs.

Concentrating fire is tactics 101 so it makes sense to me that the bigger single-shot guns are disproportionately weighty/hot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kamea died because she doesn't have jump jets so I bought all the dlc and am starting over.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Just finished the campaign and it was a decent ride. I heard the DLC stuff is best served in Career mode rather than just playing on after you have mech bay filled with OP mechs. The only one I am missing is Heavy Metal, reviews seem mixed on it saying that it is content light and the best parts are just OP weapons like UAC. Others say it's a must-have. Goon census on this? Also, is there a good mod good enough to straight-up insert for a first-time Career playthrough? I was mostly thinking of wanting to play more than 4 mechs per mission. Some of the contracts where you dropped with an allied lance were kind of cool but a quick browse doesn't seem to have anything like that for me.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

MikeC posted:

Goon census on this?

See thread title.

MikeC posted:

Also, is there a good mod good enough to straight-up insert for a first-time Career playthrough? I was mostly thinking of wanting to play more than 4 mechs per mission. Some of the contracts where you dropped with an allied lance were kind of cool but a quick browse doesn't seem to have anything like that for me.

There is a mod allowing you to drop with more than 4, but I would avoid it for now. It adds more enemy mechs as well, and like most mods, it hasn't been play tested for balance.

For a starter mod, I'd suggest some simple .json file edits to fix obvious weapon balance issues. I posted a while back on how to make simple .json mods (see below) to alter weapon stats. I'd suggest the following changes:

PPC heat (and all ++ versions) to 27.
AC10 damage to 65 (add +5 to all ++ versions) and heat to 6 (and on all ++ versions)
AC2 damage to 30 (add +5 to all ++ versions)
LRM10 heat to 9 (and on all ++ versions)

So get the Heavy Metal DLC, run a career either with vanilla or with the simple .json edits, and if you still want more after that, consider one of the mega mods. Thread usually recommends Battletech Extended 3025 (BEX) or Battletech Advanced 3062 (BTA). I use BEX.

Organ Fiend posted:

Its fairly simple to create mods that just change weapon stats. I'll use PPCs as an example.

If you look in the \steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\weapon folder you'll see a bunch of .json files (they're just text files in a specific format, and can be edited like text files). The names of the files are self explanatory, so you should be able to find the .json files for all of the PPCs (i.e. stock PPC and variant versions).

You could directly edit the .json files here, but there are a number of reasons why you don't want to do that. What you want to do is create a mod that replaces these .json files with ones you've edited.

To do this first create the following directory: my games\BattleTech\mods\my_mod_name

Inside this directory, create a file called mod.json. The contents of it can look like this:
code:
{
    "Name": "my_mod_name",
    "Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.0.0",
    "Description": "Fix PPC heat",
    "Author": "Me",
    "Website": "https://github.com/lol/notarealurl",
    "Contact": "",

"Settings" : {}
}
Inside the my_mod_name directory, create the following directory: StreamingAssets\data\weapon. Notice how this mirrors the directory structure for the games data files.

Copy and paste all of the .json files for PPCs into this directory. If you read the file (any text editor will do), you should be able to see how all of the weapon stats are stored. If you want to change heat, you'd find the line that says
code:
"HeatGenerated" : 35,
and just change that 35 to whatever you want. You can do this to any of the other values found in the .json file.

The full directory path for modified .json files should be as follows: my games\BattleTech\mods\my_mod_name\StreamingAssets\data\weapon

Since "enabled" is set to true in mod.json, the mod should be active the next time you start the game. If you want to check, click on the MODS button in the lower left of the title screen. Your mod should be listed and be checked off as active. Load a save and check the heat value (or whatever) is changed.

If this doesn't work, try putting the mod folder in the \steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods directory instead of my games\BattleTech\mods\. At one point one worked, and then the other did ... I think they both work now, but I'm not sure.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

MikeC posted:

Just finished the campaign and it was a decent ride. I heard the DLC stuff is best served in Career mode rather than just playing on after you have mech bay filled with OP mechs. The only one I am missing is Heavy Metal, reviews seem mixed on it saying that it is content light and the best parts are just OP weapons like UAC. Others say it's a must-have. Goon census on this? Also, is there a good mod good enough to straight-up insert for a first-time Career playthrough? I was mostly thinking of wanting to play more than 4 mechs per mission. Some of the contracts where you dropped with an allied lance were kind of cool but a quick browse doesn't seem to have anything like that for me.

Thread title.

But for a detailed explanation: Heavy Metal does introduce a lot of power creep equipment and units. FP and UW DLC each add a unique terrain and mission type where HM doesn't. HM has a mini-campaign FP chain instead of a pile of individual FPs, all in all, "less" FPs than the others (the FP DLC has the most) but it's a unique mini-campaign of chained FPs with some heavy hitters from the lore showing up. HM adds twice the number of new chassis, all with equipment perks like the MAD and WHM. To me, the big impact is the new 'Mechs really add a lot of variety to OPFOR composition and they're almost all 4SW classic units like the Phoenix Hawk, Rifleman and Archer. The game just feels more "Battletech" now with almost all the old unseen on the field.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Expanded drops doesn't automatically also include more units as opfor to face you. It's just usually set up that way in the large mod packs. If you want it, no reason not to load it up.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Organ Fiend posted:

See thread title.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I am terrible at detecting when sarcasm is or isn't in effect so I wanted to double-check.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MikeC posted:

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I am terrible at detecting when sarcasm is or isn't in effect so I wanted to double-check.

Doesn't help that the steam reviews seem overwhelmingly negative.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I still think the thread title should be" seriously buy the dlc already" so people dont think its sarcastic

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Yes, You Really Should Get the DLC

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech: Yes, You Really Should Get ALL the DLC

Fixed that for you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hmm, it is the case that the mechs and weapons in Heavy Metal are conspicuously good to the point where you won't use much else, but there's not much point playing through without it and then playing through with it just just buy the DLC.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sassassin posted:

Doesn't help that the steam reviews seem overwhelmingly negative.
Most of the negative reviews I see make the case that it's not a lot of content for a DLC bundle with the same price as the base game, and that's very fair. $60 is a lot.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

On sale all the DLC are A+ content.

At original list they were uh pretty steep for what you got. Except maybe Flashpoint which made career mode wildly better.

I think I bought each one on day 1 and regret nothing.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Anyone have a good Marauder build in BEX? Maybe I'm just used to them being OP headcappers in vanilla, but I'm trying to run 2LL+2ML+LB10x on one, and it feels a little anemic even with +damage lasers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Anyone have a good Marauder build in BEX? Maybe I'm just used to them being OP headcappers in vanilla, but I'm trying to run 2LL+2ML+LB10x on one, and it feels a little anemic even with +damage lasers.

The main problem with the MAD-3R in BEX is that Marauders lose the Lance Command module which makes them OP in vanilla.

If you're playing 3049 onwards, the MAD-5M is a nice jumpy sniper though.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

sean10mm posted:

AC/20 also miss a lot more than ML, and adding more 0 damage attacks brings the average damage way down. Especially earlier in the game when you have lower gunnery pilots, every hit penalty/bonus is more pronounced.

ML have an innate aim bonus and no stacking accuracy penalties from recoil.

A large laser does 80% of the damage of a PPC (40 vs 50) at 70% of the weight (5t instead of 7t) and only generates 51% of the heat (18 instead of 35). It still has range beyond the base sight range of the game and has an innate accuracy bonus. It also has no minimum range penalty. In vanilla using a PPC over a large laser is basically always just wrong if you want a big energy weapon.

LL++ (or +++? The one with the +4 accuracy and +10 damage) are so fantastic, especially when you get the good black market targeting computers, that I ran just a lance of Marauder IIs with 5 of them and 3 targeting computers and pretty much never missed anything I aimed at, and melted Mechs in one turn on the reg.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

MikeC posted:

I'm gonna kind of agree with you and say my preferred loadout, at least by the time I have a roster full of heavies/assaults and flanks are impractical, is ballistics. AC5s and 10s with +damage, or the UAC variants of both. As you say you pack a lot of damage into each shot so you don't have to worry about scatter as much. Some of the really top-tier mechs (like the Annihilator) can just called-shot the front CT and drill straight through almost any mech you face.

So far this is working well in BEX, too, which removes the rather overpowered ballistics bonuses than the Annihilator gets in the vanilla game. The hardest thing about is reliably finding mechs with a decent number of ballistics mounts, to be honest.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

anakha posted:

If you're playing 3049 onwards, the MAD-5M is a nice jumpy sniper though.

This is extremely true. I run a Coolant Vent/Sure Footing pilot in mine with Full JJs, 4 +10 dmg MLs and dual UAC/5s and it is crazy nasty.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zephro posted:

I'm gonna kind of agree with you and say my preferred loadout, at least by the time I have a roster full of heavies/assaults and flanks are impractical, is ballistics. AC5s and 10s with +damage, or the UAC variants of both. As you say you pack a lot of damage into each shot so you don't have to worry about scatter as much. Some of the really top-tier mechs (like the Annihilator) can just called-shot the front CT and drill straight through almost any mech you face.

So far this is working well in BEX, too, which removes the rather overpowered ballistics bonuses than the Annihilator gets in the vanilla game. The hardest thing about is reliably finding mechs with a decent number of ballistics mounts, to be honest.

Yeah, this is linked to the other problem that Heavy Metal has in that power creep reached the point where you can just spec a mech that can reliably CT anything else in a single called shot, at which point the tactical game just collapses on itself completely. Be interesting to see how Battletech 2 (or whatever HBS's unannounced project is) changes things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So my current dropage is a Marauder, Atlas, King Crab and a Annihilator

Marauder is just rocking 2 UAC 5's and a ton of armour and ammo. Head shooting any Assualt mechs and CT anything smaller. Just popping heads off left and right

Atlas has pretty close to the standard load out with various ++'s and +++'s. Haven't figured out how to tweak him

King Crab I was bored and just slapped on 2 UAC's and call shots CT's

Annihilator I simply changed the standard AC 10's with various ++'s and +++'s. Dropped the medium lasers for more ammo and armour

Not sure what mech to replace the Marauder with but dammit do I love head shooting mechs