Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alexander Hamilton posted:

“Hey, I bet there a song here. Oh look, it’s ‘Ancient Lamentation Music.’ Thanks, subtitle writer!”

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Discworld had a good take on this: since there's so many ghosts in the Lancre Castle, one of the witches simply takes a brick/stone from the castle and leaves with it. The ghosts can come with her because they're bound to the castle, and she just stole a piece of it.

Because the ghosts were so bored with the same scenery all day, so she took them home with her so they could have a nice change and she could have a bit of company on the long winter nights.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
The really annoying thing about that is that in movies where basically any language is that you don't speak and a non subtitled movie would say what they're saying, having subtitles on just does that "speaks spanish" poo poo. What the gently caress, are deaf people just supposed to being able to hear and understand every other language? I'm just trying to watch a movie that's not blaring when my roommates have to go to work early.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh that reminds me of one I had ages ago and never thought to post here. I guess it's tv but fuckin whatever. I'm watching Shameless and for a few episodes there's a native american character, and there's an episode where this one woman is talking to a tribal council or whathaveyou and when they confer with each other it's subtitled as (speaks foreign language).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Alexander Hamilton posted:

“Hey, I bet there a song here. Oh look, it’s ‘Ancient Lamentation Music.’ Thanks, subtitle writer!”

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The biggest irritation to me with subtitles is when the movie has the translation hardcoded but then the subtitles pop up over the built in subtitles to say "speaking whatever language".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even if they do, they get massacred in the cutting room.
About that...what happened to (more stuff about The Tomorrow War)"every 6 days the aliens mysteriously retreat somewhere for a full day"? It's obviously handy for our heroes, but it's also one of the most interesting mysteries about the monsters and it's never explored.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Someone mentioned how the gun tech in Tomorrow War didn't seem very futuristic, but then, look at the differences between the firearms given to regular troops these days vs the ones given in the 90s.

I mean, since then we've created some incredible tech but I'm pretty sure the basic infantry guns still work pretty much the same (do correct me if I'm wrong)

The main issue was really just that the guns are shown to just not work against aliens. We see dudes shooting hundreds of bullets into a horde and maybe like one or two aliens actually go down. You're absolutely right that under peacetime conditions, gun development tends to be pretty slow cause they're pretty much as refined as they're gonna get for the purpose they have. But when faced with a whole new problem/purpose, development can go real quick (see e.g. either World War), and it seems real weird that they'd just stick with garbage guns that don't work even though they're capable of setting up a wholeass intertemporal conscription system. Besides, it's not like we don't have bigger/heavier guns right now that they could use instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

About that...what happened to (more stuff about The Tomorrow War)"every 6 days the aliens mysteriously retreat somewhere for a full day"? It's obviously handy for our heroes, but it's also one of the most interesting mysteries about the monsters and it's never explored.

aliens respect the Sabbath

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tunicate posted:

aliens respect the Sabbath
That's just the humans' theory...the reality is that alien drones have a very strong union.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

It's a sad reflection on society that the alien conquerors bent on enslaving humanity offer better worker's rights than American companies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Perestroika posted:

The main issue was really just that the guns are shown to just not work against aliens. We see dudes shooting hundreds of bullets into a horde and maybe like one or two aliens actually go down. You're absolutely right that under peacetime conditions, gun development tends to be pretty slow cause they're pretty much as refined as they're gonna get for the purpose they have. But when faced with a whole new problem/purpose, development can go real quick (see e.g. either World War), and it seems real weird that they'd just stick with garbage guns that don't work even though they're capable of setting up a wholeass intertemporal conscription system. Besides, it's not like we don't have bigger/heavier guns right now that they could use instead.

This.
We've never had a reason to make something radically different. Body armor has improved but not to the point where someone is impervious like those fictional aliens.

Elysium had that AK 47 matt damon's character called an antique modified to fire some futuristic fancy explosive rounds to take out body guard robots. While the conventional military tech was all kinds of killer drones, micro explosives and rail guns.
That CHEM-RAIL assault rifle scene was something else.

Content:
Would have preferred the Elysium station it self or the medical stuff the protags were after be brought down to Earth instead of people coming up in shuttles after changing the arbitrary citizenship status database. Leaving the ivory tower to drift empty and dead.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

MariusLecter posted:

This.
We've never had a reason to make something radically different. Body armor has improved but not to the point where someone is impervious like those fictional aliens.

From watching Youtube videos, the new caliber and guns under testing to replace the AR15 are designed for one of many reasons to be able to get through modern combat body armour (which is what the original Stargate-era P90's were designed to do. They worked quite well on Gould troops wearing alien armour).

Now I want to see a SF comedy where aliens come to invade earth and find out it's a really bad idea because of our 1000's of years of practice and 40 years of shooting aliens in video games. And not one with scam artist Adam Sadler in it. Or HUMANITY gently caress YEAH! the movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Niche: On Netflix dubbing and subtitles are presumably handled by different teams so they both have the same general idea but use completely different words.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you'd like an adaptation of The Road Not Taken.

quote:

When they [the aliens] are interrogated, the truth becomes evident: the method of manipulating gravity is absurdly simple, and species like the Roxolani are thus able to use faster than light travel with relatively primitive technological sophistication. This enabled them to engage in wars of conquest on a galactic scale. However, adopting the technology allowing for interstellar travel (and wars of conquest on a galactic scale) stifles further technological development as all the creative energies of societies that find it go into perfecting it. In contrast, humanity somehow missed developing gravity technology and advanced further technologically. Unlike the broad reaching implications of the technology that Earth has developed, the gravity manipulation has no other uses.
So a group of aliens with FTL drives turn up to invade earth with weaponry that's about five hundred years out of date by our standards.

Which kinda leads into the point about guns. Think about how long swords, spears and bows were the mainstay of infantry weapons. Then look at how for hundreds of years, the guns we had were single shot things that took an age to reload. It's entirely possible we're in another plateau of weapons development, and the rifles we have now will be basically what we're using for hundreds of years. The big developments are really in things like sighting devices, materials to make guns lighter (polymer-framed Glocks, for instance), polymer cartridge cases, etc. The basic mechanism of "hit primer, primer make gunpowder burn, gas make bullet go) remains unchanged from about the 1860s. The biggest change in firearms was the move away from big bullets (7.62x51mm, .45ACP) to small ones travelling very fast (5.56x45mm, 9x19mm), so you can carry more of them and shoot them more easily.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sunswipe posted:

Sounds like you'd like an adaptation of The Road Not Taken.

So a group of aliens with FTL drives turn up to invade earth with weaponry that's about five hundred years out of date by our standards.

quote:

As Togram and another Roxolani captive realize that they have now given a far more advanced civilization the means to travel to countless worlds, the story closes with the two asking themselves, "What have we done?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg2IooEFTp8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like how the story has the anti-gravity and FTL technology be the only real uses of a certain science because the actual application is so simple that a civilisation could discover it in like, the Iron Age... but it'd have to be by accident, because apparently actually first discovering it requires completely illogical actions that you'd never think to do while using the scientific method.

A funny thought given how many scientific advanced were discovered more or less by accident, and by paying attention to things most people wouldn't, and making weird leaps of logic that sometimes actually work out. See penicillin.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A funny thought given how many scientific advanced were discovered more or less by accident, and by paying attention to things most people wouldn't, and making weird leaps of logic that sometimes actually work out. See penicillin.

Saccharin was discovered when a guy who had worked with coal tar licked his fingers.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isaac Newton invented gravity when some rear end in a top hat hit him with an apple.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Einstein thought up general relativity daydreaming about people falling off tall buildings.

Sick gently caress.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MariusLecter posted:

Einstein thought up general relativity daydreaming about people falling off tall buildings.

Sick gently caress.

Not sick, he just had a prevision of 1929 stock brokers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like how the story has the anti-gravity and FTL technology be the only real uses of a certain science because the actual application is so simple that a civilisation could discover it in like, the Iron Age... but it'd have to be by accident, because apparently actually first discovering it requires completely illogical actions that you'd never think to do while using the scientific method.

Imagining it's to do Damascus steel where you need a specific ratio of trace elements in the raw ore and a production process kept so secret it likely stagnated with little innovation before being forgotten.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jul 5, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Sometimes you'll see subtitles that will mention the name of the song currently playing. Who is that for?

Me. We have a 6 month old, so when she sleeps the TV volume gets turned right down. Bonus points if they also subtitle the lyrics. I think Invincible was perfect in this regard.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The difference between genius and crazy is that genius is sometimes right.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

IUG posted:

Me. We have a 6 month old, so when she sleeps the TV volume gets turned right down. Bonus points if they also subtitle the lyrics. I think Invincible was perfect in this regard.

I'm betting Invincible gets this as it has all that Amazon :10bux: and has some decent stake in the music played on n the show.

Not an IIMM at all, but I like they got Steven Yuen & Sandra Oh to play Mark & Debbie, firmly establishing that Mark is 1/2 Korean. And while it's not a huge thing, but changing Amber from white in the comics to black means getting Zazie Beetz is a great alteration of the source material for the better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm betting Invincible gets this as it has all that Amazon :10bux: and has some decent stake in the music played on n the show.

Not an IIMM at all, but I like they got Steven Yuen & Sandra Oh to play Mark & Debbie, firmly establishing that Mark is 1/2 Korean. And while it's not a huge thing, but changing Amber from white in the comics to black means getting Zazie Beetz is a great alteration of the source material for the better.

On the flip side it would’ve been nice if they could find a Korean actor that was maybe a little bit closer to 17. Also in general if that show spent half of what they must’ve put toward the voice cast on animation, it would be a much better show.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The animation is perfect, it looks exactly like a limited-budget Bruce Timm production

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Fair enough. The animation is pretty spotty & you can see which scenes get the most of the budget (mainly the fight scenes). Some of the interstitial and low key parts… woof.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casnorf posted:

The difference between genius and crazy is that genius is sometimes right.

I'd say more that genius keeps (legible) notes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

The really annoying thing about that is that in movies where basically any language is that you don't speak and a non subtitled movie would say what they're saying, having subtitles on just does that "speaks spanish" poo poo. What the gently caress, are deaf people just supposed to being able to hear and understand every other language? I'm just trying to watch a movie that's not blaring when my roommates have to go to work early.

As another variant on this, I don't like it when subtitles translate the Norwegian or whatever when it isn't translated or subtitled in the audio. Just put the text saying [in Norwegian] and then whatever the Norwegian text is, don't translate it. That way anyone who reads Norwegian is getting the same experience that anyone who hears Norwegian is, but you aren't changing it for the people who don't.

E: also subtitling things that are intentionally too quiet to be made out on the audio track.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Jul 5, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Comstar posted:

Now I want to see a SF comedy where aliens come to invade earth and find out it's a really bad idea because of our 1000's of years of practice and 40 years of shooting aliens in video games. And not one with scam artist Adam Sadler in it. Or HUMANITY gently caress YEAH! the movie.

The Man-Kzin Wars had this.

The Kzin were big cat version of Klingons. They were all about the prestige and honour of adding a new planet to their empire and maybe even being able to rule it.

Then they met humans who did scorched-earth tactics, like spending 10 years accelerating an asteroid to a significant fraction of light speed and smacking it into a planet. Or dumping virus bombs and polluting partially terraformed worlds, rendering them uninhabitable. And suicide bombing. All the totally dishonourable poo poo we excel at.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Ravenfood posted:

As another variant on this, I don't like it when subtitles translate the Norwegian or whatever when it isn't translated or subtitled in the audio. Just put the text saying [in Norwegian] and then whatever the Norwegian text is, don't translate it. That way anyone who reads Norwegian is getting the same experience that anyone who hears Norwegian is, but you aren't changing it for the people who don't.

E: also subtitling things that are intentionally too quiet to be made out on the audio track.

Nah, I like those. Should be a bit extra info for people willing to subtitle. Occasionally it might give away plot info or something, but it's not so bad most of the time, and it can make me laugh reading exactly what the off screen reaction to things is. Are you saying Trailer park boys shouldn't subtitle everything Donny yells?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Niche: On Netflix dubbing and subtitles are presumably handled by different teams so they both have the same general idea but use completely different words.

I presume the reason they are different is that the dubbing has to be roughly as long as the original, so they need to make changes if a phrase is a lot longer in one language than another, but the subtitles you can kind of get away with writing out the whole thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

Fair enough. The animation is pretty spotty & you can see which scenes get the most of the budget (mainly the fight scenes). Some of the interstitial and low key parts… woof.

Look, it matches the comic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

As another variant on this, I don't like it when subtitles translate the Norwegian or whatever when it isn't translated or subtitled in the audio. Just put the text saying [in Norwegian] and then whatever the Norwegian text is, don't translate it.
Famously the big twist in the Thing is revealed at the start of the movie if its subtitled or you understand norwegian.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

Famously the big twist in the Thing is revealed at the start of the movie if its subtitled or you understand norwegian.

iron man does the same thing

not really sure either are a twist though
:goonsay:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Twist is what Chubby Checker did in 1960 you loving racist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Thing and Iron Man have twists? I know Iron Man 3 does but only "twist" I remember from The Thing was the ambiguous ending. They show us the spaceship early.

Oddly, somehow I never had the "it's an alien" plot point revealed to me when I first saw Predator. I think I must have seen it on HBO or something and missed the first 5 minutes because I remember being bummed out that we were getting some sort of marine/spec ops military movie that didn't interest me.

I also never had the Arnold Is The Good Guy in T2 revelation spoiled for me since I didn't see the trailer and had no TV at the time. Not because I was cool and edgy but because I was broke. Me and 4 friends dropped acid, got in for free on opening night somehow because one of them worked there or something and had a blast but I do recall us laughing at inappropriate moments.

Liquid Metal Guy + Acid = Awesome.

IIMM: AM I the only guy that prefers the stop motion robot effects from T1 to the CGI? I think the shaky animation frames make him more robotic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wouldn't call either twists. But I'm not having that debate again

quote:

When Stark is kidnapped (rather than the intended assassination), the Ten Rings send out a ransom video of him in captivity. The Ten Rings seemingly spell out their demands in Urdu, which Pepper Potts eventually gets translated and realises is actually a direct address to Stane. The terrorists literally reveal that Stane is calling the shots, but only Urdu speakers would have been able to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Man-Kzin Wars had this.

The Kzin were big cat version of Klingons. They were all about the prestige and honour of adding a new planet to their empire and maybe even being able to rule it.

Then they met humans who did scorched-earth tactics, like spending 10 years accelerating an asteroid to a significant fraction of light speed and smacking it into a planet. Or dumping virus bombs and polluting partially terraformed worlds, rendering them uninhabitable. And suicide bombing. All the totally dishonourable poo poo we excel at.

Niven's lunacy and Reaganite-brain quirks aside, I've always had a soft spot for the Known Space setting - and the Man-Kzin 'history' is a fun read.
Especially when the hidden details regading meddling by the pupetteers (who else) comes to light.

And how after the Kzin keep getting their asses handed to them, a not-insignificant portion of them start to regard Humans as possibly a divine creation - "Maybe they were made in God's image, not us? How else do we keep losing?"

To that end weren't we supposed to get a Ringworld miniseries or movie or something?

--------

Another good example of Human shittery shows up in the Tuf Voyaging stories by GRR Martin.

As a last 'gently caress you' to a planetary civilization, instead of wiping them off the planet entirely (something well within their means), a ship is programmed to orbit their world and descend every few decades to shower radiation across the surface, poisoning and mutating everything and basically killing off any possible progress.

DarkDobe has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jul 5, 2021