Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Platystemon posted:

Imagine gatekeeping swimwear.

I mean France seems to do this a lot, along with banning headscarves and other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shibawanko posted:

the worst thing about france is that a lot of swimming pools actually enforce speedos for men, like you cant wear trunks like most dutch men tend to do. you simply have to wear the most ball-squeezing, dickshape-revealing type of men's swimming apparel or you can't swim. i think the rationalization is something like "trunks could carry dirt" but thats clearly bullshit

speedos should be normal male swimwear. loose swim trunks are an absurd testament to male insecurity.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Bring back old timey unitards for men to swim in:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

speedos should be normal male swimwear. loose swim trunks are an absurd testament to male insecurity.

Yeah why not wear slacks to the pool while you're at it?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't even own a pool

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

theyre great and kick rear end. because i dont want anyone looking at my dick and balls!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In France, swimming pools are for swimming, not for looking at goons' dicks and/or balls. HTH.

e: Anyway you see them both in sauna so :shrug: (Not in France, probably.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

swimming pools are actually places where perverts gather to look at my schlong, unless i wear swimwear designed specifically to prevent this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There are also public pools that don't allow any swimwear. Imagine the schlong-looking in those!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

the worst thing about france is that a lot of swimming pools actually enforce speedos for men, like you cant wear trunks like most dutch men tend to do. you simply have to wear the most ball-squeezing, dickshape-revealing type of men's swimming apparel or you can't swim. i think the rationalization is something like "trunks could carry dirt" but thats clearly bullshit

get fitter shiba

Josef bugman posted:

I mean France seems to do this a lot, along with banning headscarves and other stuff.

France is extraordinarily racist and patriarchical, it's kind of a hellhole, and I'm posting this from Texas

why do these foreigners and women not simply become french

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Jul 5, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The French invented mixing butter and garlic, so they get a lot of leeway from me. If they want men to wear stupid looking swimsuits then more power to them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Robobot posted:

The French invented mixing butter and garlic, so they get a lot of leeway from me. If they want men to wear stupid looking swimsuits then more power to them.

:hai:

Also France story: when my canadian friend visited Paris with me she was shocked by how aggressive the men were. Like, one metro ride saw four dudes hitting on her. One of them did magic tricks though and I wish they dated, because I want to see more magic tricks.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I thought that everyone in France was gay and wanted to check out Shibawanko’s package

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Imagine thinking you have to be gay or straight to look at shibawankos package in tyool 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Gripweed posted:

Most men's clothing is unflattering garbage.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's kind of weird how universally garbage men's clothing is. Expensive, ugly, unflattering, and limited in selection.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fashionable Jorts posted:

and always available in dark blue or grey. Sometimes only in dark blue or grey

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Blue, grey and green are nice colours to have clothes in.

Also, I wish it was easier to tell what sort of clothes would suit you before buying them and seeing what folks think of them.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Jul 5, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's kind of weird how universally garbage men's clothing is. Expensive, ugly, unflattering, and limited in selection.

I've worked in the public for over a decade now, and it's laughable how bad it is. No matter your body type, there's women's clothing that will be stylish as hell and look extremely flattering (I am Very Gay™ so maybe Im a little biased towards women looking good lol) Trends are constantly coming and going and the looks seem to never stop. And I know some of these outfits are like $10 per item.

Then her partner walks in next. Roll the dice on whether it's a tee-shirt or a polo on top, poorly fitting jeans or baggy shorts on the bottom. And I don't blame him, the options just aren't there.

I think fall fashion is just about the only time I can regularly see masculine looks that are really nice, as sweaters and cardigans often look great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Blue, grey and green are nice colours to have clothes in.

Also, I wish it was easier to tell what sort of clothes would suit you before buying them and seeing what folks think of them.

That's what changing rooms are for.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think it's a chicken and the egg problem. Most men don't wanna take the time to try on poo poo or go to a real store to get quality clothing. Which means stores don't carry as much good mens clothing, which leads to most men not wanting to spend the time and effort to go to a clothing store to get barely better than walmart goods.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I hate clothes shopping and a t-shirt/polo plus shorts is what I feel most comfortable in. It’s how I like to dress.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Other people usually don't follow you into the changing rooms.

It can be tricky to tell the difference between what you think looks good and what actually does.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my wardrobe is pretty much just blue and grey

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

I think it's a chicken and the egg problem. Most men don't wanna take the time to try on poo poo or go to a real store to get quality clothing. Which means stores don't carry as much good mens clothing, which leads to most men not wanting to spend the time and effort to go to a clothing store to get barely better than walmart goods.

I think you're right about this. I feel like I would like clothes shopping if there was more/better stuff, but nope it's just that sad 1/8 of the clothing store filled with lovely menswear that fits exactly zero body types.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My unpopular opinion is that people are way too uptight about what other people wear and we should all be a lot less judgey about it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Nobody's opinion matters but your own.

I wear green and purple Barney rear end clothes 3/4 of the year. I look drat good and anyone who disagrees can eat my rear end. And on top of that I'm colourblind so I'm sure there are assholes judging.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nobody's opinion matters but your own.

I wear green and purple Barney rear end clothes 3/4 of the year. I look drat good and anyone who disagrees can eat my rear end. And on top of that I'm colourblind so I'm sure there are assholes judging.

PHUO: Other peoples opinion matters, especially if you want to look nice primarily for other people. To deny that others opinions matter to us is silly.

We care about what other people think, otherwise we wouldn't say anything about anything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In France, swimming pools are for swimming, not for looking at goons' dicks and/or balls. HTH.

e: Anyway you see them both in sauna so :shrug: (Not in France, probably.)

In France, swimming pools are for banning Muslims.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People who say that they don't care what others think are lying to themselves

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Always.

If a person truly didn't care, they'd never take the time to say or even think that statement.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The coldest insults are where the assailant doesn't care about the response - say what you need to say and then turn and walk away knowing whatever they say won't change your view

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

People who say this are sad.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I think to some degree this comes down to imprecision of language. Different interpretations of what "don't care" means and "what others think" means.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Humans achieved everything via socialization, communication, knowledge-sharing, teamwork, exploitation, etc. To say you don't care is to imply that you think you're somehow above/outside of what our species fundamentally does, and the honest truth is you're not. What people think and how much/little they accept you matters to one degree or another. If any given group of humans truly doesn't care for you, you can and will find yourself the target of scorn, bullying, ostracization, even torture and sacrifice.

Wearing iconoclastic fashion however, ranks way low on the ladder assuming most other elements are equal. So yeah wear whatever colors you want. That's a case of "it's not what you do, it's how you do it."

I uh, I've had to have this conversation with a lot of troubled men who genuinely truly don't understand why they can't wear MLP/Anime poo poo as a badge of identity without people giving them poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's cool to wear a pony shirt if you aren't a weird incel rear end in a top hat

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Chinos are superior to jeans

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Everyone should just wear pretty floral sundresses with flouncy hems because everyone looks good in them and the feel like being naked. Men's shoulders especially look good on them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

Everyone should just wear pretty floral sundresses with flouncy hems because everyone looks good in them and the feel like being naked. Men's shoulders especially look good on them.

They're very dangerous when biking. Unless they're short which I guess a sundress would be.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Badactura posted:

Chinos are superior to jeans

Everything is superior to jeans. They are the worst pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

fizzymercury posted:

I wish the thawb would become acceptable menswear in the west. It is a perfect hot weather garment - comfortable and versatile.

Even if I didn't care aboit social norms, it is a particularly bad idea to wear one in my neck of the woods.