Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

My first fps where you could look up and down was actually Halo 1, the one I played before that was classic Doom and you couldn't look up then, I played it with the arrow keys on pc.

When you start up Halo 1 there is a test to check inverted vs abnormal look and I guess the first one just stuck with me. Probably because of having played a lot of flightsims on pc back in the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

My first fps where you could look up and down was actually Halo 1, the one I played before that was classic Doom and you couldn't look up then, I played it with the arrow keys on pc.

When you start up Halo 1 there is a test to check inverted vs abnormal look and I guess the first one just stuck with me. Probably because of having played a lot of flightsims on pc back in the time.

How do you go from classic doom to Halo? Are you both 35 and 25 at the same time?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Arcsech posted:

Not yet.

I just tried it on iOS though. Seemed fine for Into the Gungeon, which is a very fast-paced game, but it seemed quite responsive.

Then I tried Sea of Thieves and got like 1.5 seconds of latency.

Also every time I’ve tried it the sound has been hosed up and crackly.

I played a little bit of Pillars of Eternity II on cloud yesterday. I played it locally for a bit and enjoyed it, but the load times on my One X were unbearable. Playing it on the cloud was a night and day difference and it made me feel like one of the cool kids who has a Series X. I jumped right in from where my save point was locally, but then I realized I had no idea what was going on anymore and gave up after a little bit.

It’s definitely something I’ll use for single player games like that. Having to switch my controller between the PC and Xbox is a bit annoying, though I have a free Stadia controller I can use plugged in (allegedly I didn’t try) that would be fine. I’m also not sure how party audio is going to work. I can connect my TB700s to my computer via Bluetooth, but the mic doesn’t work.

I haven’t checked, but hopefully Golf With Friends makes it to the cloud. I’ve played a bunch of that over the last year, and there were always more friends that wanted to play, but don’t have consoles.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

DoomTrainPhD posted:

How do you go from classic doom to Halo? Are you both 35 and 25 at the same time?

lol, I took a break from gaming between 1997 and 2002. And I didn't play any FPS after 1993.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i flip between normal and inverted for different games and any time i try to reason out a rule for why i prefer it which way for which game i end up confusing myself and picking the wrong one. just have to feel it out

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

lol, I took a break from gaming between 1997 and 2002. And I didn't play any FPS after 1993.

You missed out on 97 and 98. The two best years for games ever. :smith:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

99 was amazing as well. I know a bunch of great games came out but that combo of Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 was :discourse:

MarcusSA posted:

They are perfect for emulation I’ll start with that both of them can emulate up to the PS3 with only minor issues GC and PS2 are no problems.

I have the GPD win max as well and one of the biggest issues I have with it is that it uses an intel CPU which is super power hungry and up till recently there wasn’t an easy way to change the TDP when you are running less demanding games. With AMD you can do it with software in windows which is easy peasy. The new 11th gen intel iGPU is pretty legit but the graphics drivers leave a lot to be desired.

For emulation intel is better but AMD isn’t far behind.

The form factor for the GPD win max is actually pretty good. Having a full keyboard is actually handy and I miss it with the aya Neo.

GPD is releasing a new version of the win max soon with an intel and amd version. They are also releasing upgrade kits so I can switch my intel board for an amd one which I’ll probably do.

They are expensive devices but it’s pretty sweeting being able to play full pc games wherever.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out for the new GPD win max since it seems like the amd version of that will be really good. Surprised they're powerful enough to handle emulation that intense as well, that's a nice bonus.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 5, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

John F Bennett posted:

So no matter what direction you hit during that Halo 1 tutorial, the camera should pan up. It was dynamic IIRC.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This is kind of a weird swerve but since we're talking about FPS after Doom why were the Colombine kids still playing Doom? I mean Unreal and Quake games had been out for years. what was going on with that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

their moms wouldnt buy them a new pc because they spent all their allowance on tec-9 pistols

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lammasu posted:

This is kind of a weird swerve but since we're talking about FPS after Doom why were the Colombine kids still playing Doom? I mean Unreal and Quake games had been out for years. what was going on with that?

One of them was into making WADs. That community is still active afaik

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lammasu posted:

Ran on everything, didn't need a CD burner to pirate it, and the average 14 year old could make maps for it.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I started on wolf3d, ken's labyrinth, and doom. My first free look FPS on my windows PC was Descent. Explains a bit about why I am perma invert to this day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Marathon was the best first game with free look and it also happened to be the first as well. :colbert:

My first online FPS was Tribes

boz
Oct 16, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Same, a guy in our neighborhood burned me a copy. I used to play it a good amount until I found out about the RPG mod for it. Then all time was meaningless.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

boz posted:

Same, a guy in our neighborhood burned me a copy. I used to play it a good amount until I found out about the RPG mod for it. Then all time was meaningless.
:hf::hf:
Tribes2 classic was my main jam for all of the Sophomore - Senior years of High school. Heavy on flag and Heavy offense were my mains.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Marathon was the best first game with free look and it also happened to be the first as well. :colbert:

I keep hoping, waiting, wishing for a complete Marathon Trilogy remake from Bungie, but that Destiny money is too good for them... :negative:

(A completely new game would be fine too)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My first FPS was Dark Forces, a game where you could punch stormtroopers with your fists. I wish more FPS games let you use your fists.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It wasn't my first FPS but I'd be hard pressed to think of a better MP game during my college days than Tribes. The scope felt huge... The momentum was always pedal to the metal and some of those long range frags are legendary.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

For those goons looking to get a Series X there's a goon in SA Mart who is selling one.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3972422&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti2

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CuddleCryptid posted:

normal vs inverted is a easy divide, it's just if you see yourself as the character moving their eyes or as an abnormally focused domininatrix that grabs the character by the back of the head to make them look at things

I've never understood this argument, because if that's how you're picturing things, then you would have to invert the X axis as well

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How many times have you seen the dominatrix argument?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

My first FPS was Dark Forces, a game where you could punch stormtroopers with your fists. I wish more FPS games let you use your fists.

The Resi7 DLC where you go around punching zombies was the highlight of that game

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BonoMan posted:

It wasn't my first FPS but I'd be hard pressed to think of a better MP game during my college days than Tribes. The scope felt huge... The momentum was always pedal to the metal and some of those long range frags are legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAmFPL6xgc&hd=1

:allears:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There's a channel that uploads HD 60fps recordings of Tribes matches from 20 years ago and they still look fun as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SectionFX/videos

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doom Eternal, A Plague Tale and Greedfall have all lost Quick Resume after their Series X patches :negative:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

There's a channel that uploads HD 60fps recordings of Tribes matches from 20 years ago and they still look fun as hell.

Il mio amore! È così bella! :swoon:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Coxswain Balls posted:

The combination of constant motion due to skiing, constant air time and constant lead timing with blast area weapons was just so viscerally satisfying. Like the loving ASMR of gameplay.

Does any game do anything similar or have that same intoxicating feeling?

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Yeah, I am losing it over that Tribes movement. We need movement mechanics in FPS games again! Apex doesn’t count.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Tribes wasn’t my first online FPS but it’s always been my favorite to reflect on. Close second was RTCW :allears:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I never managed to capture a single flag in Tribes 2, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
never played the OG tribes when they were hot but I played the gently caress out of Tribes Ascend and that was maybe one of my favorite multiplayer shooters for a long time

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’m forcing myself to get into the Master Chief Collection multiplayer to prep for Infinite, and man Halo multiplayer shooting is weird. I loaded up CS:GO and CoD after because I legitimately thought “Maybe I’ve just gotten old the past couple months and suck at shooters now?”

Nope, can kill people just fine in those. Halo is just something else that I can’t figure out. I feel like I get three full BR bursts near the head region but somehow they get two on me and I die.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’m forcing myself to get into the Master Chief Collection multiplayer to prep for Infinite, and man Halo multiplayer shooting is weird. I loaded up CS:GO and CoD after because I legitimately thought “Maybe I’ve just gotten old the past couple months and suck at shooters now?”

Nope, can kill people just fine in those. Halo is just something else that I can’t figure out. I feel like I get three full BR bursts near the head region but somehow they get two on me and I die.

Your location doesn't matter until the shield is down. Body shots and finish with a head shot in the third burst of BR I believe is the trick.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Your location doesn't matter until the shield is down. Body shots and finish with a head shot in the third burst of BR I believe is the trick.

3 in the body, shield down, go for the head.

the only weapons in halo 1-3 that count headshots are the BR, the pistol, and the sniper (and the covenant variants)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm pretty sure Wolf3D was my first FPS, but Quake 2 was the first really big one. Me and a few friends "installed" it on every computer in our high school computer class, and once the teacher saw what he was up against, gave in and surrendered the semester to us. He made us watch video footage of his recent eye/cornea surgery as a final exam slash punishment for how ridiculously we flipped the class over. I became an Unreal Tournament fanboy after that and I can't remember why. Looking back, I made the wrong choice, but that's life!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Doom II was my first FPS and my first 3D one was probably descent although I never had inverted look.

Ive always preferred inverted for flight as it makes more sense, but halos uninverted flight also makes sense.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Precision weapons and precision weapon starts is my least favourite Halo thing. Halo has always been best when it's close combat, punching and grenading. The game should be fast and hectic with bodies flying around. BR's has ruined that, makes the gameplay a bit boring imo.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 6, 2021

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Think my timeline is right here - and the first FPS game for me was CS 1.6 , but I spent my prime gaming years on Quake 3 Fortress which is still the peak of my gaming life. I was in clans and all that business, and I became a working (paper) boy so I could afford to upgrade to ISDN internet. Those were the days.

The quake 3 mod Rocket Arena 3 was also a highlight. Waiting to take your turn to 1v1 with a crowd of spectators was as close as I got to being a big league sports star.

I bought Chivalry 2 a couple weeks back from CJS CD Keys for £11 using their VPN method, and that games actually pretty damned good. I'm still struggling to maintain a 1:1 KDR, but its a lot of fun and never feels frustrating due to the fact you're usually fighting a bunch of people at once or stabbing some sucker in the back. Content scale is definitely (low amount of maps, not that many classes, no story, no singleplayer, not many classes/weapons) but you can't beat the feeling of screaming as you go into battle and behead some sneak that's hanging back as an archer. Fact that it's 64 players is awesome too, feels like a genuine big battle - especially at chokepoints.

Edit: my timeline was wrong, it was pre CS 1.6 I was playing

Crafty fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The first online shooters I owned were Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena

On Dreamcast

Playing on dial up