Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
yeah she’s just throwing everything at the wall but to be honest if this is tue best she has and the US ccontinues to not care it’s pretty grim for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

The US probably doesn't care because she's more useful in prison as proof of the undemocratic Castillo regime.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they got burned pretty badly in bolivia, and the pressure has seen castillo veer pretty heavily towards the centre. my guess as to why the yanks are staying out of it is that they see it as causing unnecessary risk to important institutions for negligible gain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think the US would be all in on the coup were she not alberto fujimori's daughter and very vocal about going to pardon him of all crimes lol

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah there's some limits to the optics of interference and Fujimori is so thoroughly poisonous that she doesn't qualify for coup benefits. It's not even that she's particularly far-right or corrupt by golpista standards (I mean, she is, but those metrics are not taken into consideration). It's that she already has one foot in jail and her getting elected (or "elected") would hardly guarantee she survives more than a few months before an impeachment, at the rate congress and the judiciary have been going. I feel like they would have considered going to bat for literally any other candidate if they'd reached the run-off instead of Keiko, but even then mustering the effort for a coup would be a hard sell since Castillo's very far from having even a remotely workable parliament to deal with - I'd assume they're betting on Castillo not managing to do anything and fading into irrelevance, or trying to do something and getting impeached, both of which would require little to no effort on the part of the US.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/...pagenumber%3D19

Yossarian-22 posted:

This rear end in a top hat named Vladimir Montesinos seems to be the main mastermind behind the slow coup. This from my Foreign Exchanges newsletter:

"He was known as the Peruvian Rasputin, the "spymaster of one of the country’s most corrupt and brutal regimes.
Vladimiro Montesinos masterminded a network of political espionage, mining state coffers to control the military top brass, the courts, and the media, until he was brought down by one of his own videotapes, which showed him bribing politicians.

Now Montesinos, the éminence grise of the jailed former president Alberto Fujimori, has re-emerged after nearly two decades in relative obscurity – this time amid an apparent bid to aid Fujimori’s daughter Keiko Fujimori, whose baseless claims of electoral fraud have plunged Peru into its most tumultuous weeks in recent history."

He's doing this poo poo from naval prison somehow too

Reposting here in the hopes of someone knowledgeableble can c/d?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao if castillo abandons his base to appeal to the liberals

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bedpan posted:

lmao if castillo abandons his base to appeal to the liberals

it's looking like he's trying very hard to look harmless while there's still tension about whether he'll be allowed to actually be president. we'll have to wait and see how he actually governs to lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/UrbanNathalia/status/1410685132034371585

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

what the gently caress is that moustache

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't know the current director of the CIA was Mr. Burns

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1411133904145297408?s=20

Also Nuland was visiting countries in Latin America last week too.
https://twitter.com/UnderSecStateP/status/1408540521195319305?s=20
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1409942814851489795?s=20

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

When Greenwald et al started publishing the hacked messages that eventually set Lula free, Moro (the judge in Lula's case who had become Bolsonaro's minister of justice) came to the US in an unscheduled visit to meet with the FBI and the CIA, and like a week later the hacker was arrested.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
well the fbi did basically orchestrate lava jato

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/HorseInChurch1/status/1411494339193225216

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1411611169677352960

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm the "homemade vaccine" lol

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Elisa Loncón, linguist and mapuche activist, is chosen as chairwoman of the Constitutional Assembly

https://twitter.com/T13/status/1411767642059423745?s=20

what's mapudungun for "poggers"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sheesh

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Truga posted:

i'm the "homemade vaccine" lol

they make it sound like it's made in a bathtub in someone's apartment

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Reminds me of how much i pissed off my liberal co worker by saying that if i had the opportunity, i would take the cuban vaccine over any western made one, purely because i trust them more.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ardent Communist posted:

Reminds me of how much i pissed off my liberal co worker by saying that if i had the opportunity, i would take the cuban vaccine over any western made one, purely because i trust them more.

For one you can be more confident that Bill Gates didn't put Mind Control 5G chips in them.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

What if they put ground up psychic crickets in it

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

So you'd have an immunity to it? don't you know how vaccines work? that's how all the cubans around the embassies are fine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Is this how you become a metal gear boss

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
JADUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbIDnD4xd9c

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1412720319219916804?s=19

What the gently caress

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I was just about to post that

haven’t Haiti’s police and military been fighting one another? I wonder which side will take credit

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
thats two world leaders who died violently this year. seems like a bad trend!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

thats two world leaders who died violently this year. seems like a bad trend!

who's the other

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020

Doctor Jeep posted:

who's the other

Idriss Déby, president of Chad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1412735482757255168

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
so given us government support for moise staying in power through 2022 (counting his term the way he wanted, not stepping down in 2021 the way the opposition wanted) and for moise's later plan to hold some elections with an electoral council that all the protesters and opposition considered illegitimate and probably were going to boycott... it does not make sense to me that the us would kill moise.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

he was a lovely US puppet cum dictator and his death is no loss but he couldnt have outstayed his term much longer so he was disposable. now that the sitting "president" was assassinated western orgs have another opportunity to run in and say "we'll take it from here"

https://twitter.com/madanboukman/status/1412745168340594690

Fast Luck has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Jul 7, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
he had information that would lead to the arrest of hillary clinton

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the US allowed Marcos to get ousted after he became so rotten that it was making the US look bad

Moise had a legal fiction that backed his presidency until something like September of 2022, but it was going to run out after that

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

so given us government support for moise staying in power through 2022 (counting his term the way he wanted, not stepping down in 2021 the way the opposition wanted) and for moise's later plan to hold some elections with an electoral council that all the protesters and opposition considered illegitimate and probably were going to boycott... it does not make sense to me that the us would kill moise.

Well diem was a us puppet and his assassination was at least funded in part by the cia. They probably had a lot more involvement as well but the cia knew about the coup long before it happened. So maybe there's an analog here. Maybe the cia wanted to get moïse out to legitimize the government and they hosed up. Just speculating

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
well, let's see who the new prime minister is, just appointed yesterday.

quote:

Haiti President Jovenel Moïse has tapped Ariel Henry, a former minister of interior and respected neurosurgeon who once charted the country’s public health response to the deadly cholera epidemic, as his latest prime minister.

But the de facto way in which Henry, 71, got the job — there has been no parliament since January 2020, and Moïse, ruling by decree, did not seek a political agreement for making the appointment — may not help tamp down Haiti’s increasingly volatile political and constitutional crisis.

quote:

In a meeting with a five-member Organization of American States delegation over the country’s crisis, Moïse acknowledged that there was no official dialogue taking place with the opposition, but said he speaks to members of the political and private sector.

The new Henry government appears to have emerged out of those private conversations rather than a political dialogue, which some foreign diplomats and Haiti observers have insisted is key to Moïse’s being able to pull off elections before the end of the year that are “free, fair and credible.”

quote:

Henry, who has a background in public health and trains future doctors in between surgeries, first came onto the larger political scene in the early 2000s as a leading figure in the opposition Democratic Convergence movement fighting to force then-President Jean-Bertrand Aristide from power after the opposition accused him of committing fraud in the 2000 elections.

Along with the late Micha Gaillard, a university professor and firebrand political militant who died in the Jan. 12, 2010, earthquake, Henry was a leading voice of the opposition on the international stage during the movement to oust Aristide.

In 2004, as Haiti erupted into spiraling violence with gangs loyal to Aristide preparing to face off with an armed rebel group seeking his ouster, Henry was among the leaders seeking a consensus for a transition government and new elections.

He later became one of the seven members of the U.S.-backed “council of sages” that chose Haiti’s new transition government led by Florida resident Gerard Latortue after painstaking deliberations.

well okay maybe they did kill him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

well, let's see who the new prime minister is, just appointed yesterday.

well okay maybe they did kill him

and yet he's not in charge anymore, the previous PM is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Joseph

I like the title minister of foreign affairs and worship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

i say swears online posted:

I like the title minister of foreign affairs and worship

When you're basically a client state is there really that much of a difference