Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dabir posted:

People looking up fan translations are in deep enough that they'll probably get what "nii nii" means and if they don't, they'll have access to someone who can explain it. The same is not as likely to be true of someone watching an official localisation. This isn't very complicated.

my main problem is that keeping random words in japanese looks ugly as sin, usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Endorph posted:

the basic idea is that she's being cloyingly cute on purpose.

in an anime? no way

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr Phillby posted:

I mean 'this cutesy term undermines the seriousness of the dramatic scenes' seems like a problem baked into the show itself not that they chose the wrong cutesy term like c'mon people.

I mean, given a central theme of the OG visual novels (and I'm assuming the anime) is "the growing paranoia that all the people you care about are secretly trying to kill you" it kinda makes sense to have the characters' affectations still showing through even in a serious scene.

Given the amount of creepy memes around "nii-chan" (or onii-chan) I'm going to assume the subtext to this complaint is "big brudder" killed their boner.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Augus posted:

as she says, it's the least-bad choice for "a cutesy toddler way of saying 'big brother' "
child character saying mama has underminded my enjoyment of show

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nakama is to anime what Hansa is to Witcher?
in Australian English it's just "my mates", or honestly just using family to refer to people who are not blood related to you in any sort of English.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The only thing that should be controversial about Samurai Pizza Cats is how good it is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would watch an anime where every utterance of Onii-chan is translated as "Dear Brotherrrrrr" and spoken by Cam Clarke doing his finest Liquid voice.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I can't believe the translators failed to find a translation for 'uguuuuuuu~' that wasn't cutesey and embarasing for me when my mom walked into the room while I was watching the show

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
everytime i want to react with surprise at how far a joke in children's media from when i was growing up went i remember a more brazen animaniacs gag in the same vein and go oh actually yeah that all checks out

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I am now pondering how Gene Wolfe books would be translated into a non-English language. Given that the whole thing is filled with archaic words with non-exact uses and pseudo latin that sounds right but is actually meaningless.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Big Bruder fails because it just absolutely fails to get what it's supposed to mean across.

Focusing on 4chan dipshits as if that's the only way for someone to disagree and insisting that your choice is the one true objective one is lame. As is the poo poo people do a lot where they see people make a point, and then just twist it into something else entirely

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Saagonsa posted:

Big Bruder fails because it just absolutely fails to get what it's supposed to mean across
Could you elaborate on this? What is it meant to mean beyond being a cutesy childish sounding term for a big brother?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

one step further change r to w for bwudder.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

Big Bruder fails because it just absolutely fails to get what it's supposed to mean across.
seemed pretty obvious to me based just on the screenshot

quote:

Focusing on 4chan dipshits as if that's the only way for someone to disagree and insisting that your choice is the one true objective one is lame. As is the poo poo people do a lot where they see people make a point, and then just twist it into something else entirely

fuckin relax lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

it is the official translation, but it's not the first time the term has been translated because higurashi is a frnachise that has been around for a while, and there's been various stabs at translating the tic. the basic idea is that she's being cloyingly cute on purpose. the issue is the series puts a lot of dramatic emphasis on said relationship, its not just a one off thing or a casual throwaway relationship in a lighthearted show, so dramatic scenes with her still saying 'big brudder' are very weird

I mean if she's still doing the cloyingly cute poo poo on purpose in the japanese it's probably just as weird there too.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Could you elaborate on this? What is it meant to mean beyond being a cutesy childish sounding term for a big brother?

I associate it far more with Grim from billy and mandy than I do a cutesy way to say big brother, personally. Might be a me thing, but well,

Genuinely:

Terrible Opinions posted:

one step further change r to w for bwudder.

Yeah if it had to be like this I think this would be better

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I associate brudda with Wakka, not with cutesy little girls. Replacing an r with a w would nail the cloying cutesiness, tho.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bwo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean the complaint (non-chud flavor) seems to be having her still use it in the dramatic moments makes it feel weird, so I don't see how making it even more infantile would fix that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr Phillby posted:

It looks like lot of the problem is that English doesn't "do" cutesy childish diminutives for "brother" or "sister" like it does for "mother", "father", or other "adult" family words. If you have a cutesy way of referring to a sibling, it's probably a diminutive shorthand for their name, or some family nickname. And those are probably personal things you don't let your friends refer to you with, so maybe "big brudder" works when the siblings are alone or having a private conversation, but it still looks awkward here:

https://twitter.com/BubBozo/status/1331995279000743937

Satoko is the blond girl in the Higurashi shows, her older brother who she is close with Satoshi. I haven't watched the new anime, but it looks like that screencap is from a moment where Satoko's friend, Rika, is explaining Satoko and Satoshi's relationship to a newer friend, Keiichi. "Big Brudder" feels weird in this context because usually in English, we wouldn't feel comfortable if our friends were referring to nicknames siblings use between each other when talking about us and our siblings to other friends. "Toshi" would've worked better, probably, and save big brudder for when Satoko is speaking directly? A universal solution doesn't feel right here.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I am now pondering how Gene Wolfe books would be translated into a non-English language. Given that the whole thing is filled with archaic words with non-exact uses and pseudo latin that sounds right but is actually meaningless.

Honestly, you'd probably achieve a similar effect by just reprinting the words as they are. I needed a dictionary for large portions of the text as a native speaker.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

"Gurloes-sensei mispronounced quite common words: nakama, tsundere, keikaku."

child character saying mama has underminded my enjoyment of show

in Australian English it's just "my mates", or honestly just using family to refer to people who are not blood related to you in any sort of English.

It's even stupider to me because it's a series about pirates so they have the very easy convention of just having characters refer to each other as "part of the crew" with the same emotional subtext.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Oh that's nothing, I'd love to see someone try to translate Finnegan's Wake into Japanese.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oh that's nothing, I'd love to see someone try to translate Finnegan's Wake into Japanese.

I'd love to see Finnegan's Wake in English.

:rimshot:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

see how the fire emblem fates tl was terrible but the entire conversation was about the facetouching minigame.

I mean that was because people legitimately cared more about the face touching than the plot. Fates is the game that went massively all in on the dating sim/shipping elements of the series.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is the keikaku thing real, or was it a joke about fansubs?

My spicy take which would get me literally murdered by anime “fans” is that English-speaking kids in America refer affectionately to their siblings by just saying their name, so perfidious western localizers should replace a majority of “big brother”s with the character’s name. It always sounds off to me when anime characters call their siblings “brother” and “sister.”

I’m unfamiliar with the anime that’s been discussed for the last couple pages so it might not apply here.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

Honestly, you'd probably achieve a similar effect by just reprinting the words as they are. I needed a dictionary for large portions of the text as a native speaker.
A page long translators note about why peltast cannot be translated to the Japanese word for spear thrower. Personally to me a large part of those books is most of the words sounding almost like words you'd use, but not quite. They all feel right to the conversation even if you don't know the exact meaning.

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m unfamiliar with the anime that’s been discussed for the last couple pages so it might not apply here.
Its a character whose sibling has been missing since they were a small child, unconsiously associating someone else's behavior with their sibling. So not really what you're going on about.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 5, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My favorite is Shaolin Soccer DVD subtitles that include people calling each other with names like "Fourth Big Brother" and "Sixth Small Brother".

It took me a while to understand that the latter meant sixth oldest brother who is also younger than the speaker, and there wasn't actually eleven brothers (which would have been fitting for a soccer movie).

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 5, 2021

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dire Lemming posted:

From what I've seen of the English dub even if you somehow excised all the racism and homophobia it would still be less of a 'laugh out loud' comedy and more of an 'exhaled slightly out of my nose' comedy which is ok for watching as a 5 minute long best moments of Youtube video but I can't fathom watching 20 full length episodes of it and thinking it was good.

I mean, it's funny if you're a lovely teen or young adult. Like I'm not going to excuse it as "of the times" or "harmless unpc humour" or whatever, I saw some of it more recently and winced real hard at all the lovely cheapshots they did, but I did sincerely enjoy it when I was younger, around about the same part of my life where I enjoyed South Park. There were good jokes in there and the bad jokes are the kind of stuff that a lot of people will in fact laugh at, even if it's because they don't really get it and are just laughing at it because of how it's framed, like kids laughing at refrences to celebrities they've never heard of in cartoons.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh right i just remembered this now but the fe fates tl stuff (it mostly seems mediocre on the whole) was baffling to me because they completely removed a c-rank support??? :psyduck:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fire emblem three houses had problems with the localization too, like heavily toning down a lot of the gay stuff and also introducing a giant plot hole to Edelgard’s storyline by way of a typo

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the 3h loc is better than fates' i think, but yea theres deffo those flaws u mentioned (tho at least the gay content still kinda shined through??)

personally they should just have 8-4 do all the fes

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mycot posted:

I mean that was because people legitimately cared more about the face touching than the plot. Fates is the game that went massively all in on the dating sim/shipping elements of the series.
Yeah it seems like it would be hard to tell if it was a bad translation given how bad the story was just on its face.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dr Christmas posted:

My spicy take which would get me literally murdered by anime “fans” is that English-speaking kids in America refer affectionately to their siblings by just saying their name, so perfidious western localizers should replace a majority of “big brother”s with the character’s name. It always sounds off to me when anime characters call their siblings “brother” and “sister.”

I, too, think that English translations should generally make characters speak English

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Of course then we get into that can of worms where people would say these 'clearly Japanese' characters are not Japanese enough
(leaving aside the fact that just using the brothers name in this instance wouldnt work as a solution)

Inevitably that leads us down the road of Persona translations and their untranslated honorifics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I call my little brother "Bro" or variations all the time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think anybody was taken out of Persona 4 by Nanako calling you "Big Bro."

But I guess she isn't really Yu's little sister if that mattered at all to the Japanese side of things and what she called you there?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Is the keikaku thing real, or was it a joke about fansubs?

The issue here is the characters way of referring to her brother is meant to be noticeable and distinct, cause its commented on in dialogue.

And, yeah.

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think anybody was taken out of Persona 4 by Nanako calling you "Big Bro."

But I guess she isn't really Yu's little sister if that mattered at all to the Japanese side of things and what she called you there?
She called yu onii-chan there. Japanese has words for cousins but they arent really used as forms of address in casual conversation, so its not uncommon for cousins who are close to use sibling terms. Especially if theyre only children, as in yu and nanakos case.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Edit: Nevermind. Facebook is being a butt

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Augus posted:

fire emblem three houses had problems with the localization too, like heavily toning down a lot of the gay stuff and also introducing a giant plot hole to Edelgard’s storyline by way of a typo

Can you elaborate on this because one of my big issues with Three Houses was I felt that it wasn't nearly gay enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean a lot of gay pairings exist in three houses the game just never tells you about them really. Like due to the lack of s supports for the non avatar pairings its easy to assume, say, catherine and shamir isnt romantic, when it is, or its easy to miss how edelgard is just blatantly bisexual as a character rather than just having the option to marry f!byleth. Thats just kind of a game information thing that exists in both languages. If youve played the entire series youre used to romantic endings in a supports but if you only played awakening and fates you were basically trained to only expect romance from s supports.

But theres a lot of grey area, implied romance stuff that the tl takes from obvious subtext to just vague implication. And stuff like Dorothea's crush on manuela gets downplayed a ton in translation. Annette and Mercedes also gets downgraded from extremely explicit to just strongly implied.

There's also a bizarre beat in the shamir/catherine support where in jp they explicitly talk about which countries gay marriage is legal in that is completely excised in translation for... some reason. Its interesing worldbuilding and adds a lot to why edelgard, the canonically bi woman with a lot of female/female romantic endings, might hate the church that preaches against homosexuality, but its removed. I guess because theres a route where you help the church? But the church does tons of other bad stuff.