Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

McKilligan posted:

I'm a little more than halfway through Iron Blooded Orphans - I'm enjoying it, but goddamn it is the absolute most surface-level 101 exploration of the elements of it's world. I appreciate the fact that the entire conflict is set up as a conspiracy to goad the underclasses into an armed revolt so the powers that be will have an excuse to decimate them and break their will for a few generations, but the characters themselves are kind of...well, dumb as hell.

When it comes to having an informed worldview, I can give a pass to the illiterate war orphans raised in a PMC, but I expect a little more awareness and historical context from the figurehead of the resistance being sent to earth to negotiate for Martian independence. I'm only on episode 18, but I find myself hoping that there's a reveal that Kudelia was hand-picked for the position she finds herself in because she sure as hell didn't get there on the merit of her convictions or ideology, because she has none. As far as I can tell, her entire plan is to travel to earth to beg some rich guy to let them be independent.

A particularly frustrating part was The Dort 3 massacre. They arrive and meet all the union members, who are all gung-ho to kick off an utterly suicidal armed uprising against the vastly superior forces of Gjallarhorn with all of 3 poo poo-tier tanks and about 2 dozen assault rifles, instead of playing to their strengths and striking? Like, they're already a UNION, they're clearly organized, but the show doesn't think to do anything but jump straight to armed resistance like idiots. They don't even adopt guerilla tactics, they just do the stupidest goddamn thing possible and choose to confront Gjallarhorn and just hope that they aren't gunned down in the street. It doesn't go well.

I just wish Kudelia was characterized as having some kind of firm ideology, convictions, or means to an end instead of being portrayed as such a naive waif. I guess they wanted her to have an arc, regardless of how much sense that makes.

The thing to remember is that Gjallarhorn has kept an iron grip on the solar system for like 300 years. This is not a well-coordinated Marxist uprising, it's some people going "It would be nice if things were a bit better" and getting further than anyone expected for a variety of reasons, some of which won't be clear to you until Season 2. For instance, you are very wrong about McGillis's motivation.

And hell, "begging a rich guy to be nice to them" happened a lot in real life too. It happened like three times in the lead up to the Russian Revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

The French Revolutionaries were willing to settle for a constitutional monarchy, and only resorted to chopping Louis's head off when his attempted flight to Austria looked like he wanted to slaughter all of Paris. Even when women stormed the palace they were only demanding the crown do something about the dang bread prices.

Iron Blooded Orphans is bitterly realistic from a historical standpoint. Probably the most realistic a Gundam has ever been politically.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
it prob didnt need to be 2 whole seasons though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

it prob didnt need to be 2 whole seasons though

Didn't feel too long for me, though season two had a bit of a problem in that they forgot about Kudelia for most of it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
oh hell yeah new getter robo anime

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

genericnick posted:

Didn't feel too long for me, though season two had a bit of a problem in that they forgot about Kudelia for most of it.

They didn't forget about her, the story is about Tekkadan and in season 2 Kudelia didn't need Tekkadan as much because she had legitimate political power. She was doing boring girlboss poo poo while the boys were having giant robot fights.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/BrendanBlaber/status/1412222677285212161?s=20

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

McKilligan posted:

I'm a little more than halfway through Iron Blooded Orphans - I'm enjoying it, but goddamn it is the absolute most surface-level 101 exploration of the elements of it's world. I appreciate the fact that the entire conflict is set up as a conspiracy to goad the underclasses into an armed revolt so the powers that be will have an excuse to decimate them and break their will for a few generations, but the characters themselves are kind of...well, dumb as hell.

When it comes to having an informed worldview, I can give a pass to the illiterate war orphans raised in a PMC, but I expect a little more awareness and historical context from the figurehead of the resistance being sent to earth to negotiate for Martian independence. I'm only on episode 18, but I find myself hoping that there's a reveal that Kudelia was hand-picked for the position she finds herself in because she sure as hell didn't get there on the merit of her convictions or ideology, because she has none. As far as I can tell, her entire plan is to travel to earth to beg some rich guy to let them be independent.

A particularly frustrating part was The Dort 3 massacre. They arrive and meet all the union members, who are all gung-ho to kick off an utterly suicidal armed uprising against the vastly superior forces of Gjallarhorn with all of 3 poo poo-tier tanks and about 2 dozen assault rifles, instead of playing to their strengths and striking? Like, they're already a UNION, they're clearly organized, but the show doesn't think to do anything but jump straight to armed resistance like idiots. They don't even adopt guerilla tactics, they just do the stupidest goddamn thing possible and choose to confront Gjallarhorn and just hope that they aren't gunned down in the street. It doesn't go well.

I just wish Kudelia was characterized as having some kind of firm ideology, convictions, or means to an end instead of being portrayed as such a naive waif. I guess they wanted her to have an arc, regardless of how much sense that makes.

don’t forget about the cringey space harem guy

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Please do not shittalk the ultimate wife guy Naze Turbine.

Maybe he does some war crimes in S2, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

new chapter of kiichi!! was heavy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

a cyberpunk goose posted:

don’t forget about the cringey space harem guy

did you know ibo's lead writer was a woman

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think we're supposed to see the Turbines as completely ideal and perfect given that (S2 spoilers) what happens to them directly foreshadows what happens to Tekkadan, only with even greater noncombatant casualties.

It doesn't matter how clever and benevolent your leader is - following them blindly without a single person willing to provide a dissenting voice is an excellent way to end up dead in a heap, and Naze making himself the most important person in his family's lives made it dangerously difficult for them to contemplate a life without him.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so what’s the good anime of the summer now that spring is wrapped up and Odd Taxi is leaving us

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
wonder egg 1-7 ad infinitum

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

For some reason I'd always put off watching Gundam Unicorn because - for some reason - I kept confusing it for Crossbone Gundam. It's absolutely incredible. Probably the best action setpieces of any UC gundam series, and one in which the combat perfectly supports its dramatic tension. The political intrigue is also interesting, so it's a shame that after Hathaway's Flash it's obvious that they had just sort of run out of ideas for what to do with the UC timeline.

"Howabout uh - a not Zeon from Jupiter?"

Also, have they ever tackled the question of the canonicity of G Savior? I don't think anybody in the world would care if they just pretended it never happened.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

did you know ibo's lead writer was a woman

i do not care that poo poo was stupid

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

For some reason I'd always put off watching Gundam Unicorn because - for some reason - I kept confusing it for Crossbone Gundam. It's absolutely incredible. Probably the best action setpieces of any UC gundam series, and one in which the combat perfectly supports its dramatic tension. The political intrigue is also interesting, so it's a shame that after Hathaway's Flash it's obvious that they had just sort of run out of ideas for what to do with the UC timeline.

"Howabout uh - a not Zeon from Jupiter?"

Also, have they ever tackled the question of the canonicity of G Savior? I don't think anybody in the world would care if they just pretended it never happened.

G-Saviour takes place like 60 years after the nearest other UC thing so unless they decide to actually make something post-Victory it will never come up. Maybe one of the Crossbone spinoffs will get there eventually.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

G-Saviour takes place like 60 years after the nearest other UC thing so unless they decide to actually make something post-Victory it will never come up. Maybe one of the Crossbone spinoffs will get there eventually.

It just doesn't sit right with me that the ceiling of possibility for Universal Century arrives at a Canadian made-for-tv movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It just doesn't sit right with me that the ceiling of possibility for Universal Century arrives at a Canadian made-for-tv movie.

holy poo poo that's a real thing. like it makes sense for a japanese movie to be made here, lots of films are. it's just such a strange idea. is... is it any good? :allears:

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i had never heard of this and found a copy of it on youtube, it looks like babylon 5 with a slightly younger cast and ngl that makes me wanna watch it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

wolfs posted:

so what’s the good anime of the summer now that spring is wrapped up and Odd Taxi is leaving us

Vanitas no Carte had a strong first episode, especially if you’re into hot guys and vampires

Other than that, dunno. I haven’t been too wowed by any of the descriptions of the upcoming shows but I also haven’t had time to check out the ones that sounded interesting

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

holy poo poo that's a real thing. like it makes sense for a japanese movie to be made here, lots of films are. it's just such a strange idea. is... is it any good? :allears:

No.

The Federation has collapsed so now the Earth sphere is in alliance with a few of the sides, while Side 1, 4 and the moon are their own independent country. The colonies are having a food crisis, and the solution for this is to develop an enzyme that grows more food - which the not-federation wants to repress even though they're the ones having a food crisis? And there's also an illuminati?

This was supposed to be Gundam's 20th anniversary celebration movie, and Sunrise outsourced it to a Canadian production company that only made one movie after it. They gave so little direction to the Canadians that the word "gundam" isn't even mentioned once through the whole film. You can't even blame the Canadians for plopping out such a mediocre turd, because they got no support whatsoever and made whatever generic sci fi story they could with their limited budget. The Earth sphere military uniforms were reused props from Starship Troopers.

It's a fascinating piece of media. Definitely the most baffling thing ever done with the Gundam franchise. But it's definitely not good.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

wolfs posted:

I try and watch most episode 1's when a season starts to see whats up and this season does not seem very strong right now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Reconguista takes place like a thousand years after the UC era

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1413165983485681670?s=20

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If it helps, all roads lead to Turn A

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

net work error posted:

I try and watch most episode 1's when a season starts to see whats up and this season does not seem very strong right now.

that’s kind of where I’m at now. between the descriptions and the first eps on offer I’m at a loss.

I’ll watch Godzilla Singular Point since it popped up on Netflix, but that’ll be a watch-in-one-go kind of thing probably

I started watching my next life as a villainess/bakarina season 1 since the 2nd season started recently and it’s a fun series about a disaster bisexual who sadly doesn’t want to destroy the monarchy afaik … so once I finish s1 I’ll probably keep up with it as it airs in case she decides to use her position of influence with a country’s nobility to reform society idk

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wolfs posted:

I’ll watch Godzilla Singular Point since it popped up on Netflix, but that’ll be a watch-in-one-go kind of thing probably

I could only digest Godzilla Singular Point a couple episodes at a time, but it's good.

I started watching Slime Diaries since part 2 is coming out, and I really admire the balls to just completely switch genres like they did. Now it's a slice of life show about the monsters living and working with each other in the town they built.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Singular Point is about getting really high and just absorbing techno science babble and being like "hell yeah"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, it's "what if the aliens from Arrival were kaiju". Very good show.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

wolfs posted:

I started watching my next life as a villainess/bakarina season 1 since the 2nd season started recently and it’s a fun series about a disaster bisexual who sadly doesn’t want to destroy the monarchy afaik … so once I finish s1 I’ll probably keep up with it as it airs in case she decides to use her position of influence with a country’s nobility to reform society idk

It’s a fun show. It’s mostly her accidentally creating a massive harem of men and women through sheer bimbo energy while convinced that’s she’s actually very smart. If she overthrows the aristocracy it will be entirely incidental as a result of her completely misreading the situation. It’ll probably never happen in the show but I’m just gonna file that away in my headcanon because it’s completely in character

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

ah. ok. There’s at least one quality series this summer. it’s not wild, but it’s pretty heartfelt and emotionally intelligent — with excellent production values. The Aquatope of White Sand looks like it’ll be a good slice of life ft an aquarium and maybe some dramatic turns here and there. ep 1: there also seems to be an ocean godlet wandering around as a kind of Greek chorus or something??? and some interesting visual metaphors I’m mostly sure aren’t supposed to be literal

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gripweed posted:

Reconguista takes place like a thousand years after the UC era

tomino and sunrise at one point (dunno if they ever reconciled it) disagreed but tomino says reconguista takes place 500 years after correct century (turn a) which is some unknown thousands of years after UC (and other AU stuff) 5000+ at minimum

Tabletops has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Jul 9, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1412836084971626497

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bhSWi5pWI

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i want to watch hathaway but i only saw char's revenge once and don't remember it. should i watch all the uc stuff before hand? netflix has everything right?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KidDynamite posted:

i want to watch hathaway but i only saw char's revenge once and don't remember it. should i watch all the uc stuff before hand? netflix has everything right?

Yeah, just re-watch Char's Counter-Attack if you don't remember anything about Hathaway or Quess. They're the only characters who matter. You only need a vague familiarity with UC stuff to jump in to Hathaway. I'd recommend Gundam Unicorn too, but you don't have to watch it before Hathaway.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Maybe I'm the outlier because I'm not a big fan of Unicorn

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I like Unicorn even if it's basically a greatest hits compilation of UC bits.

I even like Narrative because they just straight up make it explicit that the giant robot is powered by the soul(s) of dead girlfriend(s). We've proven the existence of life beyond death and the immortal soul! Anyway we're exploiting the massive psychic trauma involved to power our weapons of mass destruction.

Everyone saw the Light of Human Potential and asked how they could better weaponize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zinnerman and the whole Sleeves crew are also the best Zeon characters from any Gundam imo.