Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crespolini posted:

was she though?

Well she certainly wasn't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, definitely.

I wanna see the uncensored version of Summer and Rick eating rear end.

If you mean the gestures they made while in the saucer, then they may have just censored that to increase the humor. It's like how bleeping random words makes people assume that whatever is being said is much more filthy than it actually is. The pixelization is the joke.

HelleSpud posted:

------ Compare with the Whirly Dirly B-plot - Morty is able to tell Beth she needs to do, and Beth is finally able to get over herself to be there for her daughter. Here she comforts him, but it's un-earned, their argument isn't resolved, she'd just in the vicinity to be proven right.

I agree with most of your post, even if I enjoyed the episode a lot more than you did. But, to this particular point, I wanted to make an observation: Morty != Beth in terms of their character's worldliness and maturity. It is very much Beth > Morty. True, Morty has been all over the place and all that stuff he yelled at his mom when he went off to be with Planetina, but that bit was meant to sound petulant and ignorant on Morty's part. "I've met hundreds of people?" As a parent, my reaction to that line was, "yeah, that sounds like something a kid would think makes him an expert at relationships."

He's a 14-year-old kid. From his perspective, he's ready for a relationship with a grown woman, and the fact that she's got superpowers is just an interesting thing about her and not a potential source of problems. Beth knows better because, while Morty has met a bunch of aliens and had a bunch of adventures, Beth has had presumably had relationships, including as a teenager. She knows exactly where this is headed: a heartbreak just as crushing as his current infatuation is exhilarating. And, the fact that the woman isn't another teenager is rightfully troubling to Beth.

Is her comforting him earned? If Morty and Beth were just friends, then no. But they're son and mother, not buddies. Beth is the mom. She's an adult. She's earned that scene of comforting her son by virtue of her being an adult who has already experienced what Morty is going through for the very first time. She earns that scene by being Morty's mom. The point here, I think, was that it doesn't matter how much more worldly galacticly Morty is than his mom. At his core, he's still just a kid, and he still has to go through all that kid stuff. And his mom, for all her inexperience in alternate realities and interplanetary adventures, is still an expert when it comes to things like this.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Where were the jokes? Worst episode since get schwifty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah, felt the same way mostly. Not a lot of laughs in this one.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

And Tyler Too! posted:

Worst episode since get schwifty.

what the gently caress.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well she certainly wasn't wrong.

Morty was on board with firebombing the senator's house. When she went after the miners she was simply lashing out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

Is her comforting him earned? If Morty and Beth were just friends, then no. But they're son and mother, not buddies. Beth is the mom. She's an adult. She's earned that scene of comforting her son by virtue of her being an adult who has already experienced what Morty is going through for the very first time. She earns that scene by being Morty's mom. The point here, I think, was that it doesn't matter how much more worldly galacticly Morty is than his mom. At his core, he's still just a kid, and he still has to go through all that kid stuff. And his mom, for all her inexperience in alternate realities and interplanetary adventures, is still an expert when it comes to things like this.

Yeah, Beth was saying the whole episode "This is going to end badly" but Morty is a teenager and teenagers are going to do what they want so there's not much she can do when he decides not to listen to her. Then, when she's proven right and it does indeed end badly she doesn't rub it in his face, instead she comforts him because he's her son and he's in pain.

Beth was a good mom this episode.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Morty was on board with firebombing the senator's house. When she went after the miners she was simply lashing out.

No, look at his face in the montage. Morty was not on board with the firebombing, he was having doubts as early as the tire slashing.

Morty and Planetina are different people with very different values that make a long term relationship impossible.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 5, 2021

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, felt the same way mostly. Not a lot of laughs in this one.

I actually really enjoyed this one since I watched a ton of Captain Planet as a kid, and used to laugh at old episodes with my friends in university.

For this episode I laughed mostly at the smaller background stuff.

Jerry playing that dumb boardgame (I think might be a play on don't wake daddy)
The evil Saudi guy insisting he was acting as an individual an not representing any race or country
The earth planeteer yelling "Dirt" to use her power.
Just the concept of greedy jaded planeteers

The Rick/Summer plot fell flat for me. I get the irony of Rick celebrating the destruction of a bunch of planets while Morty becomes more into helping the environment, but it just didn't feel like there was much there.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Was it just me or did this episode have a lot more profanity than usual?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I enjoyed the don't punch my lunch game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Cojawfee posted:

I enjoyed the don't punch my lunch game.

This show excels at making up dumb games and I hope they keep doing it.

tarlibone posted:

If you mean the gestures they made while in the saucer, then they may have just censored that to increase the humor. It's like how bleeping random words makes people assume that whatever is being said is much more filthy than it actually is. The pixelization is the joke.

Right. I still want the uncensored version.

Crespolini posted:

was she though?

Jesus loving Christ, yes. What world do you live in?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Throw in Sufjan Stevens-parody and I am feeling genuinely upset over this cartoon relationship. Really cool episode. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WTt69YO2VI

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ecoterrorism is going to be more and more of a thing moving forward, I reckon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I felt like the B-Plot had enough jokes to sustain the A-Plot just being a dramatic sci-fi action movie. The "Spicy Italian" line is extremely "I am 14 years old" and I loved it.

This episode was really wild. I'm hoping against all hope that the "gay sex with my dad" alien was a Cum Town reference.

In other news, I saw the BTS clip of this episode and Dan Harmon legitimately looks like he is on Death's Door, is he ill or is he like 65 years old?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

In other news, I saw the BTS clip of this episode and Dan Harmon legitimately looks like he is on Death's Door, is he ill or is he like 65 years old?

Long-time alcoholic who doesn't seem to have any drive to stop drinking.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

planetina should have read "what is to be done?" so she would know that individual acts of terrorism are no way to defeat the system, clearly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I dunno, wax a few more senators maybe?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And Tyler Too! posted:

Morty killing those planeteers was so loving funny lmao

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

He's contracted for fifty more episodes of this.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, definitely.

I wanna see the uncensored version of Summer and Rick eating rear end.

no you don't

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

drat, you ain't kidding
that's a lot of yellowing around the eyes

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Elbow titties should have been elbow balls.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jesus loving Christ, yes. What world do you live in?

uh, okay. please don't shoot up a coal mine i guess, i guarantee it won't help

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I agree with most of your post, even if I enjoyed the episode a lot more than you did. But, to this particular point, I wanted to make an observation: Morty != Beth in terms of their character's worldliness and maturity. It is very much Beth > Morty. True, Morty has been all over the place and all that stuff he yelled at his mom when he went off to be with Planetina, but that bit was meant to sound petulant and ignorant on Morty's part. "I've met hundreds of people?" As a parent, my reaction to that line was, "yeah, that sounds like something a kid would think makes him an expert at relationships."

No, it was supposed to point out how he isn't a small child, he's been forced into early maturity and yet she's refused to stop seeing him as the "impossibly naďve" kid with a vague learning disability. Probably because she doesn't really know anything about him. She wasn't involved in his life, then exploited him to get closer to her father, and now after he's been through untold horrors because of that she suddenly decides to step in and act shocked he's already independent.

And at no point is he claiming to be "an expert at relationships" he just wants to be able to have one. Or, yet another one, really.

quote:

Beth knows better because, while Morty has met a bunch of aliens and had a bunch of adventures, Beth has had presumably had relationships, including as a teenager.

Nope. She's got the one relationship she's been in since 17 and half the series is about how much she sucks at it and has been a bad mother because she projects her resentment at the kids she uses as an excuse to stay in it. Or, per Summer, "to the lady that got pregnant with me too early and constantly makes it our problem." (Total Rickall)

quote:

Is her comforting him earned? If Morty and Beth were just friends, then no. But they're son and mother, not buddies. Beth is the mom. She's an adult. She's earned that scene of comforting her son by virtue of her being an adult who has already experienced what Morty is going through for the very first time. She earns that scene by being Morty's mom.

This is an, unfortunately common, terrible line of thinking that has permitted untold amounts of terrible parenting. Just having a kid doesn't remotely mean someone is capable as a parent. Just existing doesn't mean a parent is owed anything. She has earned nothing and has a very long way before she's earned the trust or respect of her children.

Beth is a horrible mother. She started her kids lives with a policy of "What do you do when a baby is screaming in need? Put it down and walk away." Neglect the infant until it learns not to expect anything from its parent. (Raising Gazorpazorp) And hey, on your point of merely being a parent automatically conferring worldly skill, well, he's one too! - they'd be equals, except he was a better parent and raised a healthier and more successful kid in a way more healthy environment (at least one not built on bitter resentment).

She started the series with throwing her son into an unknown meat grinder without the slightest question because she cared less about his life than her chance to get her father's approval. Episode one starts with him collapsing from exhaustion. Two episodes ago he said he's barely gone to school in years and "doesn't know poo poo". Constantly she's seen that he's in danger, that he's killing to survive, and later that he's killing just to achieve whatever goals. Repeatedly she's been called out about how could she be such a terrible mother to put her son in this situation, and why hasn't she stepped in to stop it? Her kids' school had to mandate therapy, and she not only ignored their issues, she mocked them for having them. (s3e3)

Her suddenly caring about his life and weather he's old enough to date Tina is two seconds after the story she ignored about his premeditated murder of half a dozen people and two seasons after he moved alone to New York (while dating a succession of adult woman) (s3e6). And Jessica was the one who got Rick to finally find him then. Well, maybe Beth just had a really pressing hoof collage.

That season also had him, parentified to hell and back, guiding her through her divorce (s3e2) and parenting Summer (s3e5).

She never knows where he is, she does what he's doing is horrifying, and the only other time she tried to parent even slightly was mild disapproval after his murder trial

She has done nothing but fail him as a mother and she has earned nothing.

quote:

And his mom, for all her inexperience in alternate realities and interplanetary adventures, is still an expert when it comes to things like this.

Holy poo poo, no.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Okay so we have established that Beth's objection to Morty dating Planetina is not based on healthy relationship experience/wisdom
I read it as Beth just being a similar clingy/jealous as Jerry was with Summer, however in the Beth and Morty dynamic Beth can actually deny Morty anything because Morty isn't as strong willed as his sister.
Also as a story, would that scene have worked if it played out differently, with Beth accepting Planetina and Morty's relationship? What reason would Beth have to comply with Morty's childish decision for Planetina to live with them?
It was the knee-jerk, Western Mother Caretaker Role reaction and she couldn't have reacted differently

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When Captain Planet was on, people used to mock the weird motivations of the villains. "So he just likes polluting for no reason?" they'd ask. "That doesn't make any sense. No one does that."

Looking at some of the push back to any sort of green action or movement, I think we were really overestimating people.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Planeteers vs rolling coal is the story we never knew we'd need

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Crespolini posted:

uh, okay. please don't shoot up a coal mine i guess, i guarantee it won't help

It wont. Nothing will help at this point.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
That sequence with the miners feels like something Aaron Sorkin wrote.

PostNouveau posted:

Long-time alcoholic who doesn't seem to have any drive to stop drinking.

That explains a lot. I thought Ricks indifference and narcissism reeked of GenX.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

doingitwrong posted:

I think it is hilarious that you see rejection of murderous ecoterrorism as a sign of emotional immaturity.

Eh, the killing of the miners was outright wrong, puncturing the tires was just vandalism that would cause more vehicles to be sent out to fix those tires - she'd have to encourage a proper intra- and inter-state train system to counter car-use.

I can't criticise her for that other one, and I hope saying that doesn't break the "don't cause FBI to contact the site admins" rule.

It was a decent episode.

Edit: The bits of Summer and Rick mimicking "eating rear end" were uncensored on the UK's E4 showing of the show - the titty-elbows were censored, and are probably baked in, as that's funnier.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 5, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Sheik and Jerry continuing to play the board game while everyone else argued where the only actually funny jokes in the episode. Captain Planet parodies are so done at this point you have to do something really original to make it funny. And this did nothing Don Cheadle didn’t do before and better. “Oh those kids show characters are actually assholes” is a played out and unfunny immature joke. Vindicators remains the series worst episode for similar reasons.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

galagazombie posted:

Captain Planet parodies are so done at this point you have to do something really original to make it funny. And this did nothing Don Cheadle didn’t do before and better. “Oh those kids show characters are actually assholes” is a played out and unfunny immature joke.

To build of this, what is really loving crass and sinister about this parody is that Planet Tina's flaw is that she cares about things other than herself. Which in context of a show where the main character defining trait is their narcissism is really problematic. Also politics of this episode are South Park levels of dumb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People keep saying jokes but they forget that you can be funny without jokes.

Rick and summers rear end eating face is really funny. As is the seals eating the guy. And of course once again, Morty’s massacre

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Never thought I would hear Kishi Bashi on Rick and Morty

https://youtu.be/EewB7xHHIvE

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

side_burned posted:

To build of this, what is really loving crass and sinister about this parody is that Planet Tina's flaw is that she cares about things other than herself. Which in context of a show where the main character defining trait is their narcissism is really problematic. Also politics of this episode are South Park levels of dumb.

By flaw with all the emphasis you can give it do you mean her romantic compatibility with Morty? The show itself doesn't really do much to condemn her behavior more than it did, say, any time Rick and Morty did equivalent or far worse on far larger scales. She flies off unpunished by the universe at large, or even the main cast. Morty doesn't try to re-contain her with the rings or anything, because I don't think Morty himself is even that confident what she's doing is ""evil"", just that he can't be in love with someone who's doing it. small edit: and the people who were limiting her ability to save the world before were clearly framed as assholes

I know the obvious argument here is "Morty's the viewpoint character" but if you think that makes him utterly reliable as a moral compass we're watching different shows.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lunatic Sledge posted:

By flaw with all the emphasis you can give it do you mean her romantic compatibility with Morty? The show itself doesn't really do much to condemn her behavior more than it did, say, any time Rick and Morty did equivalent or far worse on far larger scales. She flies off unpunished by the universe at large, or even the main cast. Morty doesn't try to re-contain her with the rings or anything, because I don't think Morty himself is even that confident what she's doing is ""evil"", just that he can't be in love with someone who's doing it. small edit: and the people who were limiting her ability to save the world before were clearly framed as assholes

I know the obvious argument here is "Morty's the viewpoint character" but if you think that makes him utterly reliable as a moral compass we're watching different shows.

The miners could also have heeded the avatar of nature and just not gone down there. loving around was followed by finding out, and a recurring problem with real world environmental efforts is allowing themselves to be ignored.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

BizarroAzrael posted:

The miners could also have heeded the avatar of nature and just not gone down there. loving around was followed by finding out, and a recurring problem with real world environmental efforts is allowing themselves to be ignored.

yeah I'm not even going to get into the argument over whether or not some or all the things she did were justified, I get the distinct vibe there's folks who will burn the thread down before approaching that topic seriously

I'm just saying that not all break-ups, fallings out or real human fights involve a "right side" and a "wrong side," sometimes they can both be right or both be wrong or a little of both or maybe it depends on the observer, relationships are complicated man

Morty not approving of Planetina's business is not inherently a judgement call by the writers or the show or the universe, it's his character and her character having a disagreement (which is a thing people do); that's not even a political or activism issue, that's basic understanding and reading comprehension and people are loudly stumbling over it

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

BizarroAzrael posted:

Except that guy was completely right that they need to provide for their families. You can't just tell people "Quit your job and starve to death", you need to make sure they can live without needing to work these destructive jobs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Heliotrope posted:

Except that guy was completely right that they need to provide for their families. You can't just tell people "Quit your job and starve to death", you need to make sure they can live without needing to work these destructive jobs.

the lumpenproletariat

i thought the episode was good! i liked planetina as a character and thought some of the humor was really clever. i feel like Rick has been too obviously aware that he's a sitcom character this season though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
People nitpicking the effectiveness of her eco terrorism is weird. The premise and/or joke is that she's an eco terrorist, not a pragmatic political campaigner.

Because violence is what makes a hero into a superhero.