Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was talking about for the dough. I have some wheat gluten since I usually have to boost these hipster flours I use for other stuff. So I usually wind up adding enough to all-purpose flour to increase the flour's gluten by 1%. With a cold ferment, I get pretty similar performance to an Italian type 00. In this case, I wasn't going to use them but actually was going to use KA WW like you concidentally brought up. I've done some more reading and one of the gripes about 100% whole wheat was the bran cuts into the gluten strands and makes it harder to get a good texture. So I think I'll try it at a third for now.

I like KA WW at a 1:2 ratio with the KA AP. I get the flavor of the whole wheat and the texture of pizza. The bran doesn’t mess with the crumb this way and it works well. It doesn’t taste like sawdust at all (unless maybe you go above my pleb oven that only goes to 550).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Forgive me for I have sinned:

Was craving a ham + pineapple.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Forgive me for I have sinned:

It looks delicious but something about the taste of warm pineapple really puts me off...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Malefitz posted:

It looks delicious but something about the taste of warm pineapple really puts me off...

Normally I'd agree, but for some reason I was feeling nostalgic and it hit the spot.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Malefitz posted:

So what probably does it for you is warmed canned pineapple. Grilled fresh pineapple is great, and using fresh pineapple on pizza is great.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Grilled fresh pineapple is great. I still don’t want it on top of cheese and tomato sauce.

Do you though, I don’t really care what other people like on their pizza.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I still have a "ball" (lol) of dough but don't want to defrost any tomato sauce. Recs for pizza bianco topping for my lunch? Thinking cherry tomatoes, goats cheese, pesto?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ColHannibal posted:

So what probably does it for you is warmed canned pineapple. Grilled fresh pineapple is great, and using fresh pineapple on pizza is great.

I have heard this before and I would be willing to try grilled fresh pineapple as a standalone.
It's still not going to be on my Pizza though.

I don't judge people who like it as there's no reason to outside of lovely stale internet memes.
But I just know that there are lots of other things I'd rather have on my Pizza than a fruit.

knox_harrington posted:

I still have a "ball" (lol) of dough but don't want to defrost any tomato sauce. Recs for pizza bianco topping for my lunch? Thinking cherry tomatoes, goats cheese, pesto?

As we are talking about toppings which others might find nausea-inducing may I introduce you to Pizza with Sauce Hollandaise, grilled chicken and broccoli?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Delicious. I think my main problem was incompetence at shaping the pizza but seem to be getting a bit better.

Also I remembered that you can use water injection to make crusts more crusty so gave it a few squirts with the cat dissuading spray bottle.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

knox_harrington posted:

That's a tasty combo. I also like:

Goats cheese, walnuts and a little honey. Walnuts go on after baking.
Gorgonzola, mozz, rocket after baking
Pancetta, mozz, borlotti beans

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The local restaurant supply store had 12"x16"x3.5" clear bins with lids, which is as close to what I wanted as I can ever expect to get, so I finally found something that can cold ferment 8 dough balls at once, and two of them should be able to fit on one shelf in my outdoor fridge, so I'm set now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I done hosed up. Was stuck at work for ages and came home stressed out. So I made a poolish and dropped it in the fridge without letting it rest outside for an hour first.
It naturally hasn't risen at all and I have 2 hours left until I need to start on my dough.

Is this poolish salvageable or am I screwed and better of looking for an alternate recipe without poolish?
I thought about putting it in my sous vide at 25C to activate the yeast and let it sit for 2 hours, but I guess I can just start a yeast based dough from scratch.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 9, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
At worst you have a batch of dough that has autolysed well. If you leave that to warm up over the next 2h you'll have something between a quick ferment and an overnight poolish? I've done this once before as well. Maybe in 2h check how bubbly it is and if it still looks a bit flat add some more IDY and treat as you would normally.

Yesterday night's pizza. Lamb shish kebab, mint + onion on a margarita.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I ended up binning it cause it didn't bubble up at all. My electronic scales is apparently also broken and the ratios were screwed... Not my day today

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got one of the rectangular tubs for proving the dough balls but they just spread out until they were touching.

This is 75% hydration with an autolyse step and I kneaded the dough more, also halved the amount of fresh yeast. The pizzas were absolutely delicious but I think I just need to reduce the hydration until I get a bit better bc this floppy dough is a pain in the butt.

Fennel salami, artichokes, olives and mozzarella.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, after seasoning a cast iron pan three times with canola, i made a ragusea cast iron pizza.

Good side: didn't stick at all, worked like a charm, got it browned on top the way I like and Pizza Pizza could only wish it knew how to do.

Downside: misread putting the skillet on a medium as "high". Got a nice dark donut for my trouble. C'est la vie, but still edible. A D-minus overall, but a fixable proof of concept.

Estimated cost: CAD $6.00 before labour.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 10, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

knox_harrington posted:

I got one of the rectangular tubs for proving the dough balls but they just spread out until they were touching.

This is 75% hydration with an autolyse step and I kneaded the dough more, also halved the amount of fresh yeast. The pizzas were absolutely delicious but I think I just need to reduce the hydration until I get a bit better bc this floppy dough is a pain in the butt.

Fennel salami, artichokes, olives and mozzarella.

That looks pretty good, but yeah, 75% hydration isn't going to hold its shape in a proofing tray. I work with 65% usually and it comes out pretty good. The doughballs do spread in the tray but there's a clear delineation between them due to the gluten envelope of each keeping surface tension.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I've sold my Ooni 2. Far too fiddly to use while cooking. Too hot at the back too.

drat. I didn't know the Oonis were such pieces of poo poo. I was looking to get one myself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KinkyJohn posted:

drat. I didn't know the Oonis were such pieces of poo poo. I was looking to get one myself.

I love my Fyra.

:shrug:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
honestly I've gotten good enough pizza out of my 550 home oven with a steel now that I don't even care about getting a wood fired oven, I've gotten to where I can get something I would have paid restaurant bux for 90% of the time or more so I don't think it's a big deal

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I love my Fyra.

:shrug:

Same but my Koda. I don't think making sixty seconds pizzas will ever not be a little fiddly but the results are worth it to me

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Stefan Prodan posted:

honestly I've gotten good enough pizza out of my 550 home oven with a steel now that I don't even care about getting a wood fired oven, I've gotten to where I can get something I would have paid restaurant bux for 90% of the time or more so I don't think it's a big deal

This is what I've found to be true as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Still dialing in my heat setting for my induction burner. I can go one more tick lower, or I'll probably have to use the stovetop method of popcorn making; slowly rotating the outside of the pan over the inverter to even out the heat.

Seasoned cast iron is purty good ya'll:
https://i.imgur.com/kfqzmTL.mp4

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 11, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey Tagichatn, have you experimented with anything yet? I was thinking out loud about this situation with my wife, who was generally just kind of surprised about what being an issue but gluten being fine. She was thinking it would be odd to use gluten since that would come from a contemporary wheat. However, I was realizing that only matters if you're adding more in the first place.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Different topic, different post: I actually liked how my 70/30 bread dough came out, but I had also boosted it with some gluten. It actually handled very well. I was surprised by its performance. I am actually thinking of trying 50/50 for giggles.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey Tagichatn, have you experimented with anything yet? I was thinking out loud about this situation with my wife, who was generally just kind of surprised about what being an issue but gluten being fine. She was thinking it would be odd to use gluten since that would come from a contemporary wheat. However, I was realizing that only matters if you're adding more in the first place.

Not yet, I've just made some pizzas with a frozen cauliflower crust. Gluten insensitivity is a thing, notably with celiac disease but apparently wheat allergy is a common allergy in children. So we can still use rye and barley which both have gluten but not wheat. Unfortunately she also has tree nut allergies and almond flour is a super common gluten free flour.

We've just been doing gluten free stuff but somehow you can remove the gluten from wheat so not all gluten free foods are actually wheat free. It really sucks but it's common for kids to grow out of it or with immunotherapy. My wife and I were thinking about getting an ooni oven too :negative:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tagichatn posted:

Not yet, I've just made some pizzas with a frozen cauliflower crust. Gluten insensitivity is a thing, notably with celiac disease but apparently wheat allergy is a common allergy in children. So we can still use rye and barley which both have gluten but not wheat. Unfortunately she also has tree nut allergies and almond flour is a super common gluten free flour.

We've just been doing gluten free stuff but somehow you can remove the gluten from wheat so not all gluten free foods are actually wheat free. It really sucks but it's common for kids to grow out of it or with immunotherapy. My wife and I were thinking about getting an ooni oven too :negative:

When I was talking to my wife, I had brought up soybean flour as one of those "moon flours" people turn to do try to get something and she was pretty sure that was one of those allergies that likes to join the party, so I thought I'd bring that up as a concern.

If the rest of the family can still down their carbs then you can probably still use a crazy oven if you use a circular pizza tray for the hippy crust (cauliflower or whatever). That'll help keep it from burning in some disgusting way.

I don't know about the Oonis and all that because I'm a Mr. Brick Oven man over here, but I'll encourage anybody to go full stupid and join my crew. I do all kinds of crap in my oven. It's a great casserole factory in the summer; it doesn't heat up the house and it scratches that itch to rebel against the weather and do Thanksgiving in July (oh look, it's July) that people get into. I also have seared steak something fierce. I also figured out how to smoke meat in it, which did take some effort.

Anyways, if you find some setup that makes a compelling pizza crust then I'd like to know so I can keep it on standby. Before the Plague, I would have people over for a board game night and poo poo out some pizzas. I'm generally dealing with a few vegetarians but I want to have a standby for the wheat/gluten crew.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We haven't had a chance to focus on any product photos in the last few months, so spent the morning grabbing a few updated stills of some of our core pizzas :)

NY Pepperoni turned out fire today

And I love the way the marinara came out!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/Cursed_warlord/status/1415298556873879555

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just ordered an Ooni Koda 16. I’ve resisted for months but then Kenji said we were in the golden age of backyard pizza making and I cracked.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I made 2 day fermented pizzas last night with fresh hand pulled mozzarella and it was wonderfully delicious and I neglected to remember pictures because of it. First one slide off the peel great, but I didn’t do as good a job shaping. Second one stuck after I did a great job shaping. Both tasted great in my 550F steel tray oven.

No changes to the oven or sauce, but that cheese and the dough tasted so very good. The extra time really makes the difference.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

bolind posted:

Just ordered an Ooni Koda 16. I’ve resisted for months but then Kenji said we were in the golden age of backyard pizza making and I cracked.

Hell yeah, welcome to the club 500 (or club 930)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bolind posted:

I made this on my Karu 12

you're definitely gonna like it. I've been looking for a gas adapter because I tried putting out like 8 pizzas in an evening, and while they came out well the effort involved in tending the fire and the time taken keeping things up to temp definitely exhausted me where I feel like a gas will keep a consistency for mass cooking.

unfortunately the loving things have been sold out forever. they were supposed to be back in stock in mid-june, but then either they got sold out again or the timeline changed and so even a couple of the already overpriced ebay gas adapters i was looking at (120 vs 90 bucks) just jumped up like another 30 loving dollars. goddamn do I ever hate this scalping economy

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I’ve been debating a Koda 16 for a long time but am interested in NY style exclusively. Worth it over stone/steel in our oven that can only get to 500? Feels like a better investment than more into better stones or steel that I may not benefit from given our oven temp.

Not really into Neapolitan right now though I guess the option in the future would be nice.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Deck ovens generally max at ~650, so theoretically you could get a little closer to NY style in an Ooni by regulating the heat but is it really going to be worth the work and cost? Probably not, imo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

In my opinion, the only reasons to get an ooni or koda, etc over a steel in your home oven is if you have pizza parties where your normally cranking out more than a few pizzas or if you don’t want to heat your house up in the summer time.

If your main thing were neopolitan pizzas I’d be a little more inclined to suggest it. I mainly do NY style and have a black stone propane pizza oven. I have to dial the heat on that back a bit so the top doesn’t burn, and that’s with a pizza stone that spins on its own and turning the flame off when I launch the pizza.

A koda/ooni without a rotating stone means you’ll have to dial the heat way back and constantly flip that pizza around so you don’t get the back/sides burnt.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

nwin posted:

In my opinion, the only reasons to get an ooni or koda, etc over a steel in your home oven is if you have pizza parties where your normally cranking out more than a few pizzas or if you don’t want to heat your house up in the summer time.

If your main thing were neopolitan pizzas I’d be a little more inclined to suggest it. I mainly do NY style and have a black stone propane pizza oven. I have to dial the heat on that back a bit so the top doesn’t burn, and that’s with a pizza stone that spins on its own and turning the flame off when I launch the pizza.

A koda/ooni without a rotating stone means you’ll have to dial the heat way back and constantly flip that pizza around so you don’t get the back/sides burnt.

Gas oven.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Ooni was supposed to arrive yesterday. Got a peel and a regulator, but no oven. :(

It's supposed to arrive today though! I hope my wife won't leave me after Month of Pizza!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

bolind posted:

Ooni was supposed to arrive yesterday. Got a peel and a regulator, but no oven. :(

It's supposed to arrive today though! I hope my wife won't leave me after Month of Pizza!

My wife married me BECAUSE of the weekly pizza, best thing ever. Can't wait to see what you put out from your new oven!