Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I went to the gay bathhouse to have unprotected anonymous sex and nobody was masked, nobody!

Gasp. Scandalous. You should tell me the name and address of this unmasked gay bathhouse so I can conclusively avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I went to the gay bathhouse to have unprotected anonymous sex and nobody was masked, nobody!

wow you better report them to the bc centre for disease control, there are rules about that kind of thing

g l o r y h o l e s

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
business is brisk at the dominion news glory hole. nothing can slow this economy down

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
There's a Catholic church down the street from my clinic, the Sacred Heart Church of the First Peoples. It was rededicated as a First-Nations-centric church in the early 90s, and has been pretty vocal and supportive of the community in the wake of the mass grave revelations. They've covered their own doors in orange wraps and ribbons with a statement of contrition. I think maybe we shouldn't burn that particular church down?

Personally I work at a clinic that was founded by Medical Mission Sisters 40-odd years ago, although there hasn't been any church involvement for decades and we do tons of IUDs and refer for a LOT of abortions. I also went to Catholic school for most of my childhood, despite being a nonpracticing Anglican kid, and went unmolested for my lack of belief although that may be more that I'm the living embodiment of privilege than anything else.

My point is that the Catholic church isn't a monolith, and that some of my patients, even residential school survivors, still derive comfort from being part of it. So part of me wants to see the church engaged as part of continuing reconciliation, although that can't happen until they start opening up their records and helping to find and prosecute members who committed crimes against students. I try to have a more nuanced view of Catholicism than my younger 'gently caress religion' self, because although I'm not religious I can see that it's legitimately helped people who are suffering.

And then I read that the Archdiocese of Alberta's website is "Grandin Media", named after Vital-Justin Grandin, one of the architects of the residential school system, and then I want to burn the whole fucker down again.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
there is at least one canonized first nations saint. there's a pretty complicated relationship there

YonKnave
Jun 23, 2010
"saint" kateri was a collaborator

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I went to an elementary school named after kateri tekakwitha and my teachers glossed over how horrifying her life was

essentially she was a frail sickly smallpox survivor who converted to catholicism and was so into self-flagellation and penance that she tortured herself to death over the course of years and died at 24

apropos to nothing that happened in this thread earlier, people who convert to religion seem to be weirder about it than people born into it, I guess because they did it to try to fill a void in their heart

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

I went to an elementary school named after kateri tekakwitha and my teachers glossed over how horrifying her life was

essentially she was a frail sickly smallpox survivor who converted to catholicism and was so into self-flagellation and penance that she tortured herself to death over the course of years and died at 24

apropos to nothing that happened in this thread earlier, people who convert to religion seem to be weirder about it than people born into it, I guess because they did it to try to fill a void in their heart

"Mohawk Saint" does a good job contextualizing her life, and is a really well written book all around on the subject.

the zeal of the convert is a very real thing for sure

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
just in case people were engaging seriously with that picture or don't recognize it it's a meme pic from a couple years ago

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mcdonalds-crucifixion

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
many fine people on both sides

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ghosthorse posted:

just in case people were engaging seriously with that picture or don't recognize it it's a meme pic from a couple years ago

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mcdonalds-crucifixion

crucified just like our lord and savior, ronald mcdonald

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/CDCofBC/status/1411371680606392328?s=19

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is it ok for me to make Ryerson's piked head my avatar or is that insensitive to the current owners of the head?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/04/canada-burned-churches-indigenous-catholicism
More on the topic of how First Nations feel about the burned churches

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

what is the purpose of these media stories? they’re not for the bands. they are targeted to the main stream and I always feel they have this undercurrent of “we should intervene as natives can’t self govern” but that’s just my gut feeling

I’m sure in a year we’ll get the traditional media take of “millions of dollars meant for church rebuilding squandered by band council” stories that make the traditional
media cycle on indigenous issues

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

IDK in this case it helps stress that "natives" aren't a monolith in their views and that the situation can be complicated despite the horror of genocide. Also maybe cool off the presumed non native sympathizers that might be conducting a lot of this? But I'm not sure the Manchester Guardian is really concerned about local consumption in Canada

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

maybe. but that’s their path to walk and it just reminds me of the stories coming out of the states during the Floyd protests that talked all about how the black community was harming itself by burning down their own neighborhood’s when that was their call to make and was used by chuds to push their racist agenda

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

yes, the answer is racism

these news stories are put out because there should never be attempts to shake up the status quo

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

vyelkin posted:

crucified just like our lord and savior, norm macdonald

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1412075105837068289?s=19

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
had it not been clear from context i don’t think i’d have ever recognized jagmeet without his turban

so luxurious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
them sikh boys got big hair

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kazinsal posted:

it's likely the churches will stop being burnt down once the catholic church makes actual moves to atone and reconcile for their genocide

It wasn't just the Catholic Church. This is a Canadian project where multiple churches are extremely complicit.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mediaphage posted:

had it not been clear from context i don’t think i’d have ever recognized jagmeet without his turban

so luxurious

... so how do I reach out to him about how to get my hair as luxurious as his? Does he have a site where he posts hair advice?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mediaphage posted:

so luxurious

god drat I am here for the Right Honourable Prime Minister Sexyhair 2.0

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Too bad he'd most likely just be Brown Trudeau if we elected him. It's a shame because I really want to like him but I can't because he just screams out of touch faux leftist career politician.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
his enormous bonafides of "some car insurance policy" and "the canadian sikh community was invested in getting him NDP leader but don't really take to him as a leader" will take him to the PM's chair

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

EvilJoven posted:

Too bad he'd most likely just be Brown Trudeau if we elected him. It's a shame because I really want to like him but I can't because he just screams out of touch faux leftist career politician.

letting_the_perfect_be_the_enemy_of_the_good.txt

e: I also like how you bring his skin colour into the conversation in the first sentence, then make a bunch of vague accusations that made my dogs ears perk up in the second. Just a perfect post all around.

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jul 5, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

And if you get all defensive, I hope you bring receipts as to how he's 'out of touch' and I'd also like to hear why a 'career politician' shouldn't be leader of a national party.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is doug ford a career politician at this point?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

personally, i won't vote for anyone not wearing a burlap sack cinched together with a broken extension cord. these fancy folks in their dress clothes and washed hair are out of touch with the common man

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wait isn't Brown Trudeau just Trudeau?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

my issue isn’t with Singh so much as the NDP itself. I would point to the housing crisis as an example of a place where they could differentiate themselves but they take great pains to suggest supply is the issue instead of the proper leftist position of “hang every loving landlord”

ok that’s a little extreme but the biggest problem with the ndp is they are very easy to move left of because their policies are comfortable and not threatening to the donor class the liberals bow to

if the ndp took a principled stand and actually put forward leftist policy, then the Liberals would either have to lie so much they might suffer long term or fight from the right

Noblesse Obliged has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Jul 5, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Canuck posted:

yes, the answer is racism

these news stories are put out because there should never be attempts to shake up the status quo

I mean, I think if nothing else it proves that it's not as simply black and white as "the catholic church is awful, so churches should burn". That the first is true doesn't mean the second is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Saalkin posted:

Wait isn't Brown Trudeau just Trudeau?

:golfclap:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

my issue isn’t with Singh so much as the NDP itself. I would point to the housing crisis as an example of a place where they could differentiate themselves but they take great pains to suggest supply is the issue instead of the proper leftist position of “hang every loving landlord”

ok that’s a little extreme but the biggest problem with the ndp is they are very easy to move left of because their policies are comfortable and not threatening to the donor class the liberals bow to

if the ndp took a principled stand and actually put forward leftist policy, then the Liberals would either have to lie so much they might suffer long term or fight from the right

idle thought: I wonder what the overlap is between people who cite "[some demographic] voting against their own interests" as a reason they lose, and people who reject calls for principled leftist stances because "we can't afford to alienate [some other demographic]". they seem contradictory? unless there's some other reason it's assumed that, say, poor people are thought to vote wrong but landlords are assumed to vote smart

(I realize I'm making a venn diagram strawman here, just go with me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yeah if they went full bore "hang every loving landlord" they'd have to start from within their own parties. cough cough Andrea...

God I really wish the NDP were actually as scary as conservatives purport them to be. God that'd be great.