Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah, Lapland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Frush posted:

What in particular is strong about pillaging everything? I've mostly just been using it to heal units when convenient.

In addition to a shitload of free stuff, it also makes the AI more willing to go to peace. If you can hold out against a more scientifically superior opponent and raze the poo poo out of their science infrastructure it's a great way to catch up

Nosre posted:

when you put legendary start but it's 6pm and the world creator is checked out for the day already

goddamn this is an auto win start right here

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

Nosre posted:

when you put legendary start but it's 6pm and the world creator is checked out for the day already

Thats a legendary amount of deer

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

goddamn this is an auto win start right here

Is it? I actually restarted the map (kept a save, though). Problem is, even improved tundra deer are only 1 food, so my capital immediately capped out at 2 pop, and the surrounding land was pretty trash otherwise

Of course there's the camps pantheon, but the whole broken thing of Russia and tundra is doing Dance of the Aurora + Work Ethic for 7 production / faith (and later 14) Lavras starting like turn 50

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

You can take feed the world for food, plus if you get temple of Artemis in the cap gives food too.

Work ethic is good but it's not the only option.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
legendeery start

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

legendeery start

Civ VI: legendeery start

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

You guys are gonna make me reload that branch save and see if I can power through it. Feed the World food takes a while to come online!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I actually have no idea if that's a good or bad start I'm trying to think it out haha

I feel like also there must be some potential for some hot magnus action here to like chop half of them or something if you don't want a ToA with all the amenities

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Nosre posted:

Can you build Great Zimbabwe in that city?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

Feed the World food takes a while to come online!

nevermind I thought it was a later belief but no, it's follower, so it's either that or Work Ethic. Best I can do is Gurdwaras then

ccubed posted:

Can you build Great Zimbabwe in that city?
Not really, unfortunately this is the closest cattle and it would miss most of the deerpile

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I had never played Inca before and holy poo poo are they strong with the existence of preserves!! Wowie!!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I don't even think I planned my cities super well this game (didn't even end up with more than a +1 industrial zone for instance) and these yields are so insane it didn't matter

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oh, yeah, preserves are super massive for Inca when you've got good mountains anyways.

Geez, now I'm thinking about playing another Inca game just to roll through it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just had an amazing Inca game and never thought to combine preserves with mountains. I tend to forget about preserves in general though. I'm never sure when I'm supposed to be thinking about using them.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That's bizarre, I just finished an Inca game like 15 minutes ago. If I'd turned off Diplo victory, it might have been interesting, but I took Owls of Minerva and traded my way to victory with ease.

Word of warning, Inca's unique tunnel ability makes the mountain tile unworkable, and there's apparently no way to remove it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

resting bort face posted:

That's bizarre, I just finished an Inca game like 15 minutes ago. If I'd turned off Diplo victory, it might have been interesting, but I took Owls of Minerva and traded my way to victory with ease.

Word of warning, Inca's unique tunnel ability makes the mountain tile unworkable, and there's apparently no way to remove it.

Yeah, tunnels (Inca or normal) also gently caress up national park sites.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Terrace Farms also get +2 hammers per adjacent aqueduct. The Inca can rack up absolutely absurd tile yields.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In the Inca game I posted above, I managed to build four aqueducts in my empire... with not a single terrace farm adjacent. Oh well better luck next time!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Terrace Farms also get +2 hammers per adjacent aqueduct. The Inca can rack up absolutely absurd tile yields.

Yeah, I just didn't have any spaces to put one in this game where I couldn't have just put another terrace farm and just having more terrace farms seemed better.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody got some tips for the Khmer? I'm having trouble balancing an early holy site, settling a few cities and defending myself.

I guess those are pretty basic problems. Maybe I've been playing a lot of civs with good early game bonuses. Not being able to instantly get my basic infrastructure online feels like dogshit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, you might want to settler fewer cities than you think and just build a couple more units to defend with. Remember the Khmer can get EXTREMELY tall, I wouldn't be surprised if you can win with 4 cities total without too much of a sweat if they're good

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Fourth try. Peter forward settled me, ruining my pin layout. Plus he's going to get a religion about 20 turns before I do.

I just want a nice quiet game, goddamn it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah Khmer takes some time to get rolling and those first 3 cities all need to have a good spot for the holy site. Once you start converting and doubling those adjacency bonuses though...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah one thing I think I could be micromanaging a LOT better, just as a tip in general not relating to the Khmer discussion:

If you have any sort of big resource income early in the game, you can turn it into a lot of culture income, especially if you have quick deals. The CPU will happily sell any great work for about 30 gold a turn, and you'd be surprised how much gold you can get early on in the game selling off your DF, your extra strategics, extra luxuries, etc. Especially if you are any civ that's easy to get a lot of gold with like Kublai Khan, Mansa Musa, Joao, that sort of thing. So just remember you can build a couple theater squares then instantly pack them with great works. You may not even care about the tourism, but having lots of culture advances you down the civic tree and adds a lot of passive resource gain just from that, whether it's things like feudalism for farms or way down the line the insanely powerful International Space Station and Collective Activism civics.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I'm sure this has been mentioned before itt, but since I've forgotten more than I care to admit about basics.. and basic math... and the fact that the expansions throw so much new poo poo into the mix;

Civ 6 Overexplained worked for me, especially for just getting up and running: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr_5Byhx_s89XKC9UaqwSj6RD0id5AkG7

It's not exactly novice friendly - but after having a few basic games under your belt and wondering why you keep loving yourself on deity on the most basic stuff, it's useful (but loong). This has done wonders for how I think about city placement and all the foundational stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is it normal to go through an entire game without encountering all the secret societies? I have 6 city states under my thumb and no owls of minerva at all and its the industrial age.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

twistedmentat posted:

Is it normal to go through an entire game without encountering all the secret societies? I have 6 city states under my thumb and no owls of minerva at all and its the industrial age.
Can be. The odds decrease the more civs get them. You can always learn about one's you missed from civs that belong to them by increasing diplomatic visibility to some high level. Can't remember which level though

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

World Famous W posted:

Can be. The odds decrease the more civs get them. You can always learn about one's you missed from civs that belong to them by increasing diplomatic visibility to some high level. Can't remember which level though

Alliances will also grant them if the other civ has it as their society.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mike the TV posted:

Alliances will also grant them if the other civ has it as their society.
Alliances set diplomatic visibility to 'secret' automatically I think

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, I guess I win?

In the same game...

Gitarja and Alex having an extremely normal game.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Based on the crazy gitarja alexander mess I'm presuming you're playing dramatic ages? If so the combo of Natural Philosophy and Free Inquiry (and later Heartbeat of Steam) policy cards is awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

World Famous W posted:

Yea i finally encountered them in around the mid industrial age.

Man, I still love other civs building cities right next to my capital before i have enough influance to tell them to gently caress off, but i build a city near my own capital and they start screaming about how I'm taking their land. Yea, i'm burning those cities down buddy. Mock my lack of horsemen, but you'll have to deal with my 6 archers.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Albino Squirrel posted:

Based on the crazy gitarja alexander mess I'm presuming you're playing dramatic ages?

Nope! Just corporations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been culturally dominant over everyone for like 20 turns at this point, shouldn't I have won? I remember all other cultural victory games i've had ended right away.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did you disable that win condition during game creation?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What does the culture victory tab say? If it's not there, that means you've disabled cultural victories. If it is there and you are dominating everyone on it... I'd guess you haven't met all the civs yet? Tourism only starts ticking once you meet a civ, IIRC.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Nah there's a bug that sometimes doesn't bring up the victory screen even when it should. Not sure if it works properly even after a reload...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea its there, i never turn off any victory other than the religious because i never bother and by doing that i find the AI is less likely to flood your empire with religious units.

I can't have not met all the civs because i am 4 turns from a space race victory and have completely uncovered the map. Is it because I conquered 3 civs? The Indians had aluminum i needed, the mongols pissed me off by building cities next to my capital in the first age and the English where trapped on a tiny island and they would be much happier as part of the Portuguese empire.

Marmaduke! posted:

Nah there's a bug that sometimes doesn't bring up the victory screen even when it should. Not sure if it works properly even after a reload...

Oh, well, that could be it. I will keep going for a few more turns until the space race victory occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hundreds of game hours and I just noticed you can't work Nazca lines. All this time I thought they turned a city into alt-Petra, but it's really just poverty petra for the occasional desert triangle in an otherwise normal city.

Sure wish I hadn't built two cities in the middle of two deserts. I need to figure out the ideal Nazca pattern in, say, a 10 pop city. You need 10 tiles to work, and you want to surround each of those tiles with Lines. I guess you just start there, and try to surround every hill.

Dammit, I wanted to work Nazca lines. They should let you build national parks on them or something.