Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
every single photo of Vampiro from that time period is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Low Desert Punk posted:

every single photo of Vampiro from that time period is hilarious

Really digging the Cure's new stuff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

With Brauns release, who are some others heavily featured on tv in main events that got let go seemingly out of the blue? I can think of Angel in 06, warrior in 91 and probably sid in 1992.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Mr Kennedy? Was his unexpected?

Kennedy!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

Kennedy!

Sort of, although his last offense did occur on TV

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Custard Undies posted:

Kennedy!

The company had lost faith in him so while it was surprising it wasn't completely out of left field.

With Angle you at least had some warning signs, Braun had just been in a featured Wrestlemania match and a title match. It's definitely one of the most unexpected releases I can think of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He looks so uncertain. Or vaguely surprised.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Wasn't Matt Hardy pretty prominently featured right before they released him and he did that whole AnGeLiC DiAbLo (original content DO NOT STEAL) thing online?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

oldpainless posted:

With Brauns release, who are some others heavily featured on tv in main events that got let go seemingly out of the blue? I can think of Angel in 06, warrior in 91 and probably sid in 1992.

While we knew he was leaving going into the match, the news that Brock Lesnar wanted out after WM20 was pretty shocking.

Also, CM Punk.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Wasn't Matt Hardy pretty prominently featured right before they released him and he did that whole AnGeLiC DiAbLo (original content DO NOT STEAL) thing online?

Not only online, but briefly in ROH

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

sticklefifer posted:

If we're talking about his second release (his first one came when he was several months out from injury and started ranting online about Lita cheating on him with Edge), he was released on October 15, 2010. This came on the heels of him being sent home from a European tour about a month earlier.

Before that, his last televised win was beating Drew McIntyre on an early June Raw as part of a feud with Drew that got cut short when Drew's visa legitimately expired in August. His last few televised appearances were jobbing to Alberto del Rio and Cody Rhodes. His last PPV win was about a year and a half before his release, way back in April 2009, when he beat Jeff at Wrestlemania before losing the blow-off three weeks later at Extreme Rules, which was his last singles PPV match of the run.

So it really depends on what you count as 'prominently featured', he didn't ride out his whole contract in catering or anything, but it was nothing like Braun.

EDIT: The "Angelic Diablo" thing started during that first release, which happened in April 2005. He was written off of TV due to injury after Summerslam the year prior.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 4, 2021

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I can't remember the names of some of my relatives but I'll always have "tHe ScAr WiLl bEcOmE a SyMbOl" in the forefront of my mind.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Has anyone ever done a 2/3 falls match and then just had one person easily get two falls in a row to win?

It's obviously a terrible idea but I could see someone like Russo doing it, especially in early TNA.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zombie Lemur posted:

Has anyone ever done a 2/3 falls match and then just had one person easily get two falls in a row to win?

It's obviously a terrible idea but I could see someone like Russo doing it, especially in early TNA.

The Briscoes did 2/3 fall matches for the title when they were champs and it was a thing that they always won 2-0.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Deathlove posted:

The Briscoes did 2/3 fall matches for the title when they were champs and it was a thing that they always won 2-0.

That's interesting, so it was like their signature thing?

The image I had in my head was someone being built up for months only to lose both falls to Jeff Jarrett in like 5 minutes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zombie Lemur posted:

That's interesting, so it was like their signature thing?

The image I had in my head was someone being built up for months only to lose both falls to Jeff Jarrett in like 5 minutes.

The falls were competitive but it was their thing in 2007. So they weren't burying people like you'd imagine.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

MassRafTer posted:

The falls were competitive but it was their thing in 2007. So they weren't burying people like you'd imagine.

That way makes sense, especially if it's a character trait of the team or individual wrestler.

Then it's more about them being that good rather than the opponents being a joke.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Zombie Lemur posted:

I wouldn't call it easy but Austin beat Dustin Rhodes 2-0 at a Starcade. I think it was the match where the main power went out in the arena for a bit. Good match if only because it was sorta a mess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zombie Lemur posted:

MVP beat Chris Benoit 2-0 in a 2/3 falls match at Judgment Day 2007, in Benoit's last actual PPV match.

It was the end of a multi-month storyline though, where Benoit kept getting the better of MVP in PPV matches.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He got his own 2-0 a month later.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

He got his own 2-0 a month later.

That's not how two out of three falls matches work

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Those MVP/Benoit matches were fantastic. Textbook example of getting somebody over by losing. When MVP finally gets his win z the fans were primed for it.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
[dann" post="515986036"]
I wouldn't call it easy but Austin beat Dustin Rhodes 2-0 at a Starcade. I think it was the match where the main power went out in the arena for a bit. Good match if only because it was sorta a mess.
[/quote]

edogawa rando posted:

MVP beat Chris Benoit 2-0 in a 2/3 falls match at Judgment Day 2007, in Benoit's last actual PPV match.

It was the end of a multi-month storyline though, where Benoit kept getting the better of MVP in PPV matches.

So not only has it been done multiple times, but it seems to have been executed reasonably well. I'm surprised and also a tiny bit disappointed that there's not a trainwreck in there somewhere.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I might be way off on this, but didn’t the Briscoes have a gimmick of winning 2/3 falls matches in the first two falls? Or was the 2/3 falls match just their thing?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s the first reply to the exact same question you’re answering

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Senator Giroux posted:

I might be way off on this, but didn’t the Briscoes have a gimmick of winning 2/3 falls matches in the first two falls? Or was the 2/3 falls match just their thing?

Deathlove posted:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

For whatever reason I remember Titus Worldwide losing 2-0 to Sheamus/Cesaro for the Raw tag team titles

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s the first reply to the exact same question you’re answering

Guess I shouldn’t try to answer questions first thing from waking up

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

D.N. Nation posted:

For whatever reason I remember Titus Worldwide losing 2-0 to Sheamus/Cesaro for the Raw tag team titles

usos also beat chad gable and shelton benjamin 2-0 in like 10 minutes one time iirc

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Beth Phoenix got a 2-0 win over Candice Michelle after Candice had a terrifying botch and they called an audible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5d6PQgHKxg&t=420s

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

man, I never saw that before. That was rough

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Duke Pukem posted:

man, I never saw that before. That was rough

I was watching live with my brother and we thought she might be paralyzed, super scary

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Holy gently caress, don’t drag the person who might hve a broken neck

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

purkey posted:

Holy gently caress, don’t drag the person who might hve a broken neck
yeah that was extremely careless and irresponsible on phoenix's part

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Minidust posted:

Beth Phoenix got a 2-0 win over Candice Michelle after Candice had a terrifying botch and they called an audible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5d6PQgHKxg&t=420s

Holy gently caress, that was hard to watch.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ref should've just signaled a KO win and ended it.

Probably would've been fired.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It ain’t ballet folks!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did Todd Champion ever get in trouble for having the Olympic Rings on his gear? I know the IOC are hyper vigilant but were they paying attention to 1992 WCW?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are some great must-see matches from Shinya Hashimoto? I've seen a bit of Mutoh and Chono, but he's a blind spot for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lily Catts posted:

What are some great must-see matches from Shinya Hashimoto? I've seen a bit of Mutoh and Chono, but he's a blind spot for me.

Hashimoto vs Tenryu from the '98 G1 was described to me as Ishii vs Shibata 15 years earlier. It's a good description, they just batter each other.
Hashimoto vs Kazuo Yamazaki from the same tournament is a great high stakes match, Yamazaki is an ex-UWFi guy who got here by beating Fujinami, Sasaki & Chono, all by submission. Hashimoto hurt his leg earlier in the tournament, his offense is kick heavy & Yamazaki does a lot of leg submissions.
Hashimoto vs Nobuhiko Takada from the April 96 Tokyo Dome show is a the height of the interpromotional feud between UWFi & NJPW, the crowd are absolutely loving molten as it's the IWGP champion vs the ace of UWFi.
Hashimoto vs Lord Steven Regal is a match I like because I'm a Regal fan.
I'd also say check out the April 1989 Tokyo Dome show match between Hashimoto & Big Van Vader: Hashimoto is just back from excursion in North America to be thrown into a one night 8 man tournament to crown a new IWGP Heavyweight champion at the first ever wrestling show in the Tokyo Dome. Vader beats Chono & Fujinami, Hashimoto beats Chosu & Zangiev