Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

remusclaw posted:

i feel like TSR has never been a name worth using after its death and it was probably a liability for at least the later period of their existence, or would have been if they had even the slightest interest in rehabbing themselves. WOTC certainly had it right when they bought em up to just get rid of it, as TSR had at that point made it a habit of pissing off any fans who had the slightest bit of an internet presence with shutting down all fan stuff. Thats just the last 10 years of existence, before that they made it their habit to kill competition and even business partners who gave them an in.

Even in the beginnings of the OSR the blogs very much might have had love for the product, but never much for TSR itself. Who out there was nostalgic for TSR?

Ernie Gygax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

You will be hearing from my lawyer

Yrs,

Splicer S. Hitposter, CEO Theoretical Sex Romp Inc

Gentlegoons, gentlegoons, may I instead propose a partnership taking advantage of possible brand synergy in the area of fangirls? It's a highly lucrative untapped demographic!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

remusclaw posted:

i feel like TSR has never been a name worth using after its death and it was probably a liability for at least the later period of their existence, or would have been if they had even the slightest interest in rehabbing themselves. WOTC certainly had it right when they bought em up to just get rid of it, as TSR had at that point made it a habit of pissing off any fans who had the slightest bit of an internet presence with shutting down all fan stuff. Thats just the last 10 years of existence, before that they made it their habit to kill competition and even business partners who gave them an in.

Even in the beginnings of the OSR the blogs very much might have had love for the product, but never much for TSR itself. Who out there was nostalgic for TSR?

The thing is, none of that history really matters to the culture warriors that the new new TSR is signaling to with all the subtlety of a tornado siren. I would even go so far as to venture that a lot of them weren't even around for those days to begin with. They see "old brand revival" and they're already primed to buy into "old days = better" together with "anti woke" and it doesn't even matter that this TSR has no products ready to buy, that all the kickstarters Ernie Gygax is associated with have featured massive delays and difficulties, or what the original TSR's reputation was, it's just another opportunity for them to shout "DON'T BEND THE KNEE" at.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Attempting to revive TSR is essentially the most grognard move humanly possible, relying on a wholly-imagined better past that people with actual knowledge of events and things could shoot down in a paragraph.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Attempting to revive TSR is essentially the most grognard move humanly possible, relying on a wholly-imagined better past that people with actual knowledge of events and things could shoot down in a paragraph.

The Age of Chivalry was always in the past for those writing about it.

TSR was insane. Who in their right mind would try to develop 10 different worlds, most of them simultaneously! Have 10 worldbooks on nearly every nation of Mystera? Have both D&D and AD&D running at the same time? These make no business sense and it's amazing they managed to do it for so long. The insanity ran both ways, but now everyone is just fond of the good memories.

I just hope Hasbro is ok with getting the new Players Guide to Mystera be published.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Comstar posted:

The Age of Chivalry was always in the past for those writing about it.

TSR was insane. Who in their right mind would try to develop 10 different worlds, most of them simultaneously! Have 10 worldbooks on nearly every nation of Mystera? Have both D&D and AD&D running at the same time? These make no business sense and it's amazing they managed to do it for so long. The insanity ran both ways, but now everyone is just fond of the good memories.

I just hope Hasbro is ok with getting the new Players Guide to Mystera be published.

Oh, the Gazeteers barely covered a fraction of the nations in Mystara...

As you can see, The "Known World" segment didn't even account of 1/10th of the planet's total surface area! Not included here are the various one-off nations featured in the Voyages of the Princess Ark articles (Which I believe were mostly focused on the Southern continent), locations covered in the Dawn of the Emperor's boxed set, some minor locations that were detailed in adventure modules and the entire interior surface of the planet outlined in the Hollow World supplement. And even with all those it barely covered a third of the map...

...God, I've been thinking about doing a write-up on all the Mystara Gazeteers and supplements for a while now, I should get on that sometime.

One thing I will give them: The Gazeteer series was a bit less of a bad business decision than most of the other setting-specific modules and products of the time, as the gazeteers actually provided a bunch of additional mechanics that further expanded the rules of the Basic version of the game beyond even what was available in the BECMI series. It was still a dumb decision to spread this crunch out over 10 32 page booklets, but these at least included actual crunch.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Sodomy Hussein posted:

you dont need "actual knowledge of events and things" to know that TSR wasn't great, either rendition. Just having been alive at the should be enough. I wonder if Games Workshop went under tomorrow twenty years from now some creep using the name would have all the grogs going "man, Games Workshop man...that was the good old days...the constant fomo, the overpriced models, the unbearable community....I wanna go back..."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

you dont need "actual knowledge of events and things" to know that TSR wasn't great, either rendition. Just having been alive at the should be enough. I wonder if Games Workshop went under tomorrow twenty years from now some creep using the name would have all the grogs going "man, Games Workshop man...that was the good old days...the constant fomo, the overpriced models, the unbearable community....I wanna go back..."
If GW let the Citadel Miniatures trademark lapse for a decade and all of their lawyers were extremely high...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean if GW went under like WotC/Hasbro would buy them and the ip in a moment

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
I would super love to play Warhammer, but that requires getting to know enough Warhammer players to find 3-5 who aren't garbage people, and that's a bigger time sink than painting an army.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Volkova III posted:

I would super love to play Warhammer, but that requires getting to know enough Warhammer players to find 3-5 who aren't garbage people, and that's a bigger time sink than painting an army.

i found a lot of great players on facebook after one week

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

You will be hearing from my lawyer

Yrs,

Splicer S. Hitposter, CEO Theoretical Sex Romp Inc

Terribly Silly Rules
They Sue Regularly
Tough poo poo, Readers
Total Staff Resignation

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Midjack posted:

Total Staff Resignation
:boom:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Midjack posted:

Terribly Silly Rules
They Sue Regularly
Tough poo poo, Readers
Total Staff Resignation

Table by Jim Simons, originally from Space Gamer #74.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Table by Jim Simons, originally from Space Gamer #74.

Thank you, I was trying to remember where I'd seen those before. :cheerdoge:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
As somebody who just decided to run Soulbound for my group on a whim because I needed a quick break from an emotionally deep campaign arc, and whose only exposure to Warhams before was six hours of one of the 40k videogames...

Warhams is a thing. I've read almost 200 pages of F&F in the last few days and I feel a little broken.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a bunch of lovely and good non-creepy warhammer players right here in TG, and back when I played, I didn't have too much trouble finding games with fellow goons in my area (admittedly I live in a high population area).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CitizenKeen posted:

As somebody who just decided to run Soulbound for my group on a whim because I needed a quick break from an emotionally deep campaign arc, and whose only exposure to Warhams before was six hours of one of the 40k videogames...

Warhams is a thing. I've read almost 200 pages of F&F in the last few days and I feel a little broken.

Did you have fun at least?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What's a warhams?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A miserable little pile of heresy

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's a warhams?

It's what you take to Thanksgiving when you've got a racist uncle that you're finally ready to confront.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Found this on an EN World thread:

I'm convinced that the TSR Games people have been locked in a sealed vault where they've never been exposed to the past 40 years of game design and social progress, and only just now have been released into the wild.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm convinced James Ward suffered some kind of serious head trauma, because Metamorphosis Alpha already exists and he wrote it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

These geniuses are going to invent pregen characters and bluebooking next.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

CitizenKeen posted:

Soulbound is rad, though. You get to galivant around the Realms as the superfriends.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
impressive how nobody in the history of ever before these guys had thought of a fantasy post apocalypse

*listens to earpiece*

ah, nevertheless...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

These geniuses are going to invent pregen characters and bluebooking next.

Didn't this already happen with Monte Cook writing a blog post that was just bluebooking like 20 years after the fact

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Mindblowing Innovations that have actually been around since the early 1980s" is literally the the free center square on the Fantasy Heartbreaker Bingo Card.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Jim Ward's "I invented passive perception" moment

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Forgotten Realms aren't technically post apocalyptic because they keep using synonyms for "apocalypse."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hell, Middle-Earth is a post-apocalyptic setting when you look at the Appendix material. The North Kingdom, after civil war and the successor kingdoms being destroyed by Angmar, was depopulated by a plague centuries before the time of the books. Eriador is continually described as empty and ruined. Gondor is in decline, and that's even after the greatest nation of Men was destroyed by the gods themselves breaking the world for a second time after they did it to defeat not-Satan.

Apocalypses all over the drat place.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thinking about it, you kinda have to have an apocalypse if you want to have a setting with both an established civilization, but also is old enough to have things to "reclaim" and "explore"

even if you have to stretch the definition of the apocalypse to encompass things like the decline of the Roman Empire's effects on the imperial periphery

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Didn't this already happen with Monte Cook writing a blog post that was just bluebooking like 20 years after the fact

Can someone tell me what bluebooking is? I'm sure I know it, just not connected to that name.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hel posted:

Can someone tell me what bluebooking is? I'm sure I know it, just not connected to that name.

It's when you run a "session" between the GM and a subset of the whole playing group, usually just one other character, and session here is in quotes because bluebooking usually also implies that this exchange between the GM and the player is written, instead of acted-out

This can be more comfortable for the player depending on the subject matter if they don't have to act it out, or it can be used to express an internal monologue that the player's character is having, or it can be used to privately discuss plans between the GM and the player that the rest of the group wouldn't be privy to

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hel posted:

Private interactions between players and/or the DM conducted by writing notes back and forth. So called because lots of D&D games were and are played by college students, and the cheap disposable notebooks used to write exam essays were available in large numbers. The cover of one prominent brand was blue, hence "blue-booking".

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Hel posted:

It's where players email the GM between sessions and go 'I'd like my character to do x, y, and z before the next session' and the GM says 'yes, no, and yes' and the player writes it down in -- presumably -- a blue book.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh, absolutely IM, email, chat, and now I guess Discord have supplanted actual written notes. But the name has stuck in certain portions of the hobby.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 6, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok ,so it's just one of the basic tools that's popped up pretty much every time I've played.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Libertad! posted:

Found this on an EN World thread:

I'm convinced that the TSR Games people have been locked in a sealed vault where they've never been exposed to the past 40 years of game design and social progress, and only just now have been released into the wild.

I particularly love it when designers say "This game doesn't use magic, it uses (synonym for magic)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

thats invisible sun, along with him 'inventing' dealing with absentee players by saying 'um. he was somewhere else this week'.