Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought Dallas was the city with a reputation for being soulless and business-oriented, which is what you're supposed to get when you've become an adult and have to give up on things you liked when you were younger. Is this one of those things where Houston wants some kind of extra respect on account of being the biggest city?

Alternatively, if you feel like you have that much freedom to relocate, find a state where the government isn't actively trying to kill you. Or maybe one of the corners of Texas that are hooked into the national grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

I almost fell for Evan's article, because I've been pondering over a move to Houston for three years now. But then I remember hurricanes every time, and stay put.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I get what the article is getting at, but you can't ignore that Houston is going to perpetually be under loving water within our goony lifetimes. Also Galveston's beach is lovely figuratively and literally calling back to that one post showing how much fecal matter builds up on those beaches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Houston is 45 minutes from the beach" is ... technically true I suppose

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Galveston is a tourist trap shithole and has been for 120 years, who the hell cares about having access to that island or it’s terrible beaches?

Houston is good though, just uhhhh be prepared to bug out with little notice anytime between May-September.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Move to Houston, just in time to get hit with more tax increases and less of a chance to own your own home.

And flooding. Can't really spin that, so yeah.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

And flooding. Can't really spin that, so yeah.

Temporary lake front property. The lake comes to you!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I have feeling we're going to start seeing more houses on stilts here in Houston in the near futured.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not entirely convinced that these “move to Houston” articles aren’t funded by houstonians trying to heat up the market for their flood plain houses so they can up and move to Colorado before the next big storm

abbott will issue an executive order to name the next 5 storms Trump

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Or maybe one of the corners of Texas that are hooked into the national grid.

I cannot recommend anyone come to west Texas, and the east don't look great either.

El Paso is pretty alright but at that point just go to NM, it's actually good there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Alternatively, if you feel like you have that much freedom to relocate, find a state where the government isn't actively trying to kill you. Or maybe one of the corners of Texas that are hooked into the national grid.

Occasionally I put some thought and light research into what US state is likely to be least hosed over by climate change in my lifetime, but I have to take frequent long breaks in that little project because it's so depressing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1412113967506395141

Didn't that goon guy run against her in '20? Why is she up again?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Houston is alright and i enjoy living here but if anyone is touting proximity to Galveston as a plus... just lol. It's a negative if anything, you might end up knowing someone who actually likes going there my wife really likes Galveston :suicide:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

Houston is alright and i enjoy living here but if anyone is touting proximity to Galveston as a plus... just lol. It's a negative if anything, you might end up knowing someone who actually likes going there my wife really likes Galveston :suicide:

:sever:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Galveston would be great if our coast wasn't literally poison.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1412113967506395141

Didn't that goon guy run against her in '20? Why is she up again?

The Texas senate has 2-4-4 terms. She may be on her two year term right now.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The Texas senate has 2-4-4 terms. She may be on her two year term right now.

What the gently caress how am I just now learning this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Sec. 3. ELECTION AND TERM OF OFFICE OF SENATORS. The Senators shall be chosen by the qualified voters for the term of four years; but a new Senate shall be chosen after every apportionment, and the Senators elected after each apportionment shall be divided by lot into two classes. The seats of the Senators of the first class shall be vacated at the expiration of the first two years, and those of the second class at the expiration of four years, so that one half of the Senators shall be chosen biennially thereafter. Senators shall take office following their election, on the day set by law for the convening of the Regular Session of the Legislature, and shall serve thereafter for the full term of years to which elected.

No they draw lots after reapportionment, which hasn't happened yet, and the unlucky half gets a two year term.

https://www.texastribune.org/2013/01/23/senators-draw-lots-determine-terms/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
what in the gently caress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

what in the gently caress

What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss.

Of course the first election after apportionment is '22, so I know even less what the gently caress

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 5, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

lobster shirt posted:

As someone who spent a lot of my childhood there...what is there actually in Galveston besides Moody Gardens? Beach? Over-rated and literally chemically/biologically toxic these days. Schlitterbahn? I live 15 minutes from New Braunfelds as compared to the squashed little acre of tube slides the Galveston location is. Museums, night life, dining? There's a lot more of that up in Houston.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
who's ready for god emperor mcconaughey cowpokes
https://twitter.com/McConaughey/status/1411792440411889664?s=19

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Alkydere posted:

As someone who spent a lot of my childhood there...what is there actually in Galveston besides Moody Gardens? Beach? Over-rated and literally chemically/biologically toxic these days. Schlitterbahn? I live 15 minutes from New Braunfelds as compared to the squashed little acre of tube slides the Galveston location is. Museums, night life, dining? There's a lot more of that up in Houston.

Dickens on the Strand is pretty fun, once a year.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Dickens on the Strand is pretty fun, once a year.

Which means it's effectively a Houston attraction because then you live close enough to visit...but you don't actually live there. :v:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Alkydere posted:

Which means it's effectively a Houston attraction because then you live close enough to visit...but you don't actually live there. :v:

I'm part of a performing group that gets hired for that festival so we drive down from Dallas anyway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Occasionally I put some thought and light research into what US state is likely to be least hosed over by climate change in my lifetime, but I have to take frequent long breaks in that little project because it's so depressing.

Well, it's not such a grand scale judgement that's proofed into the future, it's just a basic "infrastructure that works and a government that might make some kind of pretense towards taking care of its constituency in a disaster". Texas has gone really far into disfunction for the sake of pushing harder on ideological purity, and while I'd sure love it if there was enough support for a movement to topple the current order, it sure makes sense on an individual basis to flee before the next disaster hits if you can.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Alkydere posted:

I kinda like the artsy scene off of Postoffice street, as well as the hole-in-the-wall pubs that are scattered around in between all the obvious tourist traps of the Strand. I dunno, it's a close-by change of scenery every now and then when you live in Houston. The architecture/history (although perpetually hosed up) is also more interesting than most of Texas.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The movie about Hayden Pedigo, the young guy who ran for Amarillo City Council, has been reviewed by the LA times:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-07-01/movie-review-kid-candidate

You guys might remember his weird youtube videos from a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dMqrZ1Vvg

The doc is fun and a good look at local politics in Texas, Amarillo specifically. The filmmakers did a heck of a job in a pretty short amount of time.

Yours truly may make a brief appearance in the film, for full disclosure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

He’s running

as his character from Bernie

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Galveston is great.

It's not the nicest beach, but it's our beach - I'll be headed out there at the end of the month for about a week.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

south padre really is great but the drive is absolutely mind-numbing

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Corpus Christi is pretty nice, or it was the last time I went which was like 8 years ago.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i really liked port aransas before it was wiped off the map, i wonder how it's doing nowadays

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

i say swears online posted:

south padre really is great but the drive is absolutely mind-numbing

But "Getting a ticket in La Feria for going 26 in a 25" is part of Texas Bingo...

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

i really liked port aransas before it was wiped off the map, i wonder how it's doing nowadays

slowly recovering, still full of assholes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just got back from Houston (I live in Dallas sorry) over the holidays, and you fuckers have got some tasty goddamn loving food Jesus Christ

I don’t think it was recommended here but we went to Fat Bao (I think that was the name) and their Bulgogi was out of this world

Too bad Greg is going to divert the Gulf to flood the place before 2024, better eat all the food before it’s underwater

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah Houston is legit one of the continent’s food cities. It’s why I have a hard time every time I think about leaving.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Houston is a massive city that doesn't have the tourist appeal of other large cities so all the cool poo poo is all ours.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Houston smells terrible. That’s all I really remember about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ve been told it’s a chill beach where you can have a good time with plenty of space for your crew.

This description has not matched up with my two experiences with the beach, both close to Memorial Day. The entire beach was packed with cars, the crowds were…interesting…, and the water came very close to the dunes so cars were driving close to tents.

From social media posts, this is mainly my family’s fault for going on a weekend close to a holiday. People who have gone mid week look like they have an entire football field of beach to themselves.