Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Samsung is really aggressive with its battery optimization, I've found, so it could be related to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
My bet is that it has to do with the android OS kicking it out of RAM the second it's in the background, and then the app somehow flubbing stuff when it has to restore its state data from disk.
I'm not sure how other apps recover from that but there must be some kind of trick.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The "search this thread" function almost never seems to work for me when I use it, even when I double check that the exact same search from a browser gives results. I was playing around with multiple threads and got the same results (e.g.
code:
threadid:3847325  butterflies
gives me nothing, with or without quotes around the search term, but a browser gives many results).

Curiously enough, I'd planned to use this thread as the example, but searching for "Samsung" here is one of the times it actually gives results :v:

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The app appears not to like the new embedded Tik-Tok feature, at least not in the announcement

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Jethro posted:

The app appears not to like the new embedded Tik-Tok feature, at least not in the announcement

Seems fine to me? My Pi-Hole prevents it from playing though :v: I can tap the comment icon in the embedded TikTok to open it in a browser and play it though

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Some seem to work while other do not (including the one in the announcement), I'll take a look soon™

The announcement also seems to crash for some people, possibly if they click some link in the embed when they have the app installed?
Not sure about that.

Thanks Obastral

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

As far as I can tell, the videos that are embedded are not supported by chrome, probably some codec stuff. TikTok prevents loading the video (http error 403 (Forbidden) for those who care)

The same thing happens if you open the announcement in desktop or mobile chrome, there is nothing the app can do. :shrug:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 13, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

We're all too old to be on the tik toks its probably for the best

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

As far as I can tell, the videos that are embedded are not supported by chrome, probably some codec stuff. TikTok prevents loading the video (http error 403 (Forbidden) for those who care)

The same thing happens if you open the announcement in desktop or mobile chrome, there is nothing the app can do. :shrug:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding (or maybe astral fixed it between your post and my reply), but I'm currently on desktop Chrome, and the video embeds and plays fine for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I opened the announcement on mobile Chrome and the embedded video played just fine

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My bad, its only incognito mode chrome. Does not really explain why it works in the app sometimes :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For me, I get a big empty space where it should be when I use the app on my tablet, but I get the embedded video on my phone. Tapping play makes the bottom left and right corners animate, but the video never loads. My tablet is running Android 8 and my phone is running Android 10.

My initial guess is that it has something to do with the differences between Android 8 and 10. But then again, it could be :google: or TikTok or internet ghosts or

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
For me, it shows up, but when I hit play I get a spinner, a burst of downstream traffic and then nothing, spinner just keeps going.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
After I visited the TikTok website in Chrome, the app appears to have stopped crashing.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

For me, it shows up, but when I hit play I get a spinner, a burst of downstream traffic and then nothing, spinner just keeps going.

Same behaviour here too. I dont care if it gets fixed though gently caress tiktok.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is there any trick I can use to get past the 50 imgur uploads limit? It's failing 4 out of 5 times recently but using up the images so I ran out making one post earlier.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
On the plus side, embedded tweets started loading correctly for me yesterday after having been broken for months so that's nice.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

So lately, the app has started doing this:

See how it's going all the way down to the bottom and overlapping with the navigation bar?
I don't know wtf. No other apps are doing that. Tried un/reinstalling. No dice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm not a smart person or developer, but have you tried upgrading/downgrading Webview?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Pixel 3a XL started doing that after a recent android update, going to awful app settings > advanced > device and navigation > Immersive mode OFF fixed it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I checked that. It was already off. My webview is up to date, so I'm gonna try the beta.

E: Ha! Switching to beta worked. Thanks Toshimo!

E2: Aw poo poo it's doing it again. I tried disabling webview hoping that would force it to use chrome's but that didn't happen. Developer Options isn't giving me the choice to switch to Chrome either.

E3: Tried turning immersive mode on and then off. No joy. gently caress.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2021

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The black bar is native and not part of the WebView. Honestly I don't know why it's doing this and without having whatever device that is in front of me I don't really know. Can it be a combination of awful and something else? What's that 0kb thing in the bottom right?

Aardvark! posted:

Is there any trick I can use to get past the 50 imgur uploads limit? It's failing 4 out of 5 times recently but using up the images so I ran out making one post earlier.

You can try to delete the app data (not Cache) and see if that resets the counter. Please be aware that there is also a shared limit for all users of Awful.apk that's set by imgur via their API and Awful.app runs into the limit quite often from what I hear.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 18, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Looks to me like you're going about this from the wrong direction. Try disabling the nav bar then switching back.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

An idea for expanding imgur functionality because I use it a lot and want it automated. There's a hidden feature of imgur that it can auto-resize your images for you. Putting s, m, h or l before the .jpg in an imgur url will resize the image for you. For example:

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRm.jpg[/img]

vs
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRh.jpg[/img]

I'd then usually wrap this in a link to the full sized image

code:
[url=https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzR.jpg][img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRh.jpg[/img][/url]

I find timg to be too small for most purposes and then on expansion it doesn't expand to the full size anyway.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I often append the l, but manually

I guess some kind of automation would be cool but not a super high priority for me

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Looks to me like you're going about this from the wrong direction. Try disabling the nav bar then switching back.

Ha! That wasn't quite what the solution was but you gave me a lead. Turns out I somehow turned on hidden navbar for Awful. I definitely didn't do it on purpose. Thanks!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Can someone explain how to embed TikToks using the Awful app?

I use TikTok and have the app, so the discussion of using a browser or abstaining from a vm.tiktik link or cleaning up a URL doesn't apply to me. Is there a way to pull a proper URL right from the app?

I have an android.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Got a new s21 phone. Not sure how to fix this:
http://imgur.com/a/NGczjAP

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 28, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I believe it thinks you're a tablet

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Settings-->Device and Navigation and force the layout to phone on the first option there

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
buy a smaller phone

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks!!!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
what phone did u get?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I've had an issue since the Twitch integration went in with some of the videos playing automatically when the page they're on is opened, even if I haven't scrolled past them.

I've had it happen twice now, including once where someone posted a clip and then two people on the same page quoted it in their reply, leading to the audio playing 3 times overlapping. It doesn't autoplay any other videos, just Twitch, and I looked for any setting that might be messed up but didn't see anything.

Is this a known issue and/or is there anything I can do to stop it?

Happening on an LG ThinQ with Android 9 is that matters.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Switching views occasionally slows my phone to a stop, and I have to press the lock button to get any control back, even with no other apps in the background. Any way I could enable debug logging or metrics to figure out what's going on?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Just noticed the hamburger icon transitioning into the back arrow

How long has that been in the app?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fluppet posted:

Just noticed the hamburger icon transitioning into the back arrow

How long has that been in the app?

As long as I can remember - at least a few years?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm guessing 8 years next month ;)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
As of 3.8.4, clicking an ignored post now throws a 'Couldn't load post content' error.

E: also getting "no application found for 'https://'" when trying to open Twitter links.

EE: pull-to-load is also consistently failing to load the next page.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The view post/rapsheet button in the leper's colony no longer works