Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Saalkin posted:

Wait isn't Brown Trudeau just Trudeau?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

It wasn't just the Catholic Church. This is a Canadian project where multiple churches are extremely complicit.

listen one church at a time, robespierre style maybe wasn’t a bad church but ehhhh gently caress it lets burn it down anyways!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Acerbatus posted:

I mean, I think if nothing else it proves that it's not as simply black and white as "the catholic church is awful, so churches should burn". That the first is true doesn't mean the second is.

Canada

is a racist country.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Koirhor posted:

listen one church at a time, robespierre style maybe wasn’t a bad church but ehhhh gently caress it lets burn it down anyways!

surely god will know his own

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I feel as though the NDP is set up similar to UK Labour in that anyone advocating any actual substantive change will never be in the running for leadership (or failing that, dethroned over fake bullshit like Corbyn)

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I lol every time I remember our "official" Communist party is illegal/fractured into at least two separate parties, definitely legitimate grievances that led to that

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the ndp is so loving bad. like, here in ottawa, there is this rather prominent PMC couple. you may know the wife, emilie taman, the great nazi defender who the NDP ran in ottawa centre. her husband michael spratt is also a lawyer but actually works in crim defence and speaks out against policing. no way the NDP would run him though despite him having as high a profile and better politics

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
some of the smaller political parties in canada are absolute hot messes

the libertarians ran lauren southern as a candidate once. she got like, less than a hundred votes and got so mad she stormed off to the mediterranean to heckle migrants

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I feel as though the NDP is set up similar to UK Labour in that anyone advocating any actual substantive change will never be in the running for leadership (or failing that, dethroned over fake bullshit like Corbyn)

there's that and the fact that it's hard to fund-raise from institutional donors when you're advocating major changes to the status quo. thank goodness we got rid of the per-vote subsidy so everyone needs to sell themselves hard to fund campaigns

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what i'm hearing here is that the ndp needs a good old-fashioned purge

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we'll just make an even newer democratic party, with blackjack and hookers

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Can't wait for the vote to be split between the NNDP and the NDP2

And then for years later for them to form the United NDP Party.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mameluke posted:

the ndp is so loving bad. like, here in ottawa, there is this rather prominent PMC couple. you may know the wife, emilie taman, the great nazi defender who the NDP ran in ottawa centre. her husband michael spratt is also a lawyer but actually works in crim defence and speaks out against policing. no way the NDP would run him though despite him having as high a profile and better politics

Whoa, what's this about Taman?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Remember the push to rebrand as the Democratic Party to take advantage of Obama’s popularity in the US?

Dodged a major bullet with that one. yikes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Can't wait for the vote to be split between the NNDP and the NDP2

And then for years later for them to form the United NDP Party.

it'll be the New NDP Party, for maximum "ATM machine"/"PIN number" style linguistic abuse

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kazinsal posted:

it'll be the New NDP Party, for maximum "ATM machine"/"PIN number" style linguistic abuse

It was at least twenty years ago, but I still remember a news reporter talking about something banking related and she said "enter your personal PIN number" and it has haunted me since.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
i did dispatch for a couple years at a call center sending techs out to fix ATMs.

so many personal identification number numbers going into automated teller machine machines.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
this is probably one of the least surprising thing in the history of things

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Whoa, what's this about Taman?

she represented james sears in 2017

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/hearing-begins-into-canada-post-ban-on-controversial-newspaper-your-ward-news-1.4085501

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I lol every time I remember our "official" Communist party is illegal/fractured into at least two separate parties, definitely legitimate grievances that led to that

Our poor communist party didn't stand a chance. The amount the RCMP spied on any even left leaning person of interest is quite ridiculous.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
is this when we're told party convention policy votes are meaningless and we should ignore them, or is this one of those other times when no party could possibly wrench free from their grip and it's a scathing indictment

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Suplex Liberace posted:

The amount the RCMP spies on any even left leaning person of interest is quite ridiculous.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pokeyman posted:

is this when we're told party convention policy votes are meaningless and we should ignore them, or is this one of those other times when no party could possibly wrench free from their grip and it's a scathing indictment

which one is worse?

it's that one.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Another Bill posted:

And if you get all defensive, I hope you bring receipts as to how he's 'out of touch' and I'd also like to hear why a 'career politician' shouldn't be leader of a national party.

I think that the prime minister should be the host of a reality television show, personally

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I think that the prime minister should be the host of a reality television show, personally

I’m down

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the fire that destroyed Lytton grew so fast that people were forced to evacuate the town within literal minutes. I can't imagine the chaos and it seems the government failed to coordinate with neighbouring First Nations. They're not too happy about this.

B.C. admits communications with First Nations during Lytton fire 'didn't live up to expectations'

quote:

British Columbia's public safety minister admitted his government's wildfire response this week revealed "gaps in protocols" after facing criticism from First Nations leaders.

Mike Farnworth's comments came a day after the tribal council chair for the worst-hit area of the province lambasted the province's lack of early communication as "sickening" while homes and other buildings on the Lytton First Nation were destroyed by fire.

"While there were challenging factors, early communication with the Nlaka'pamux Nation Tribal Council and the Oregon Jack Creek Band didn't live up to expectations," Farnworth said in a statement Sunday. "I have made my expectations clear to the ministry and I have been assured that immediate steps have been taken to address gaps in protocols that contributed to this situation."

The tribal council includes Lytton First Nation, which has land in and around the Village of Lytton, and four other communities. The Oregon Jack Creek Band's reserve is located near Ashcroft, north of Lytton.

Chief Matt Pasco, who chairs the Nlaka'pamux Nation Tribal Council, told CBC News it took hours for emergency authorities to respond to his requests for co-ordination and assistance as residents evacuated — many hours after he received a call from provincial officials asking him about the welfare of cattle on his nearby ranch.

"People were dying, people were running for their lives — I'm getting phone calls as a rancher about the safeguarding of my cattle but the province had no response to the needs of our governance entities," Pasco said in an interview. "If you ask me what sickens me, it's that."

He said his tribal council quickly asked the province to collaborate with member First Nations to create muster stations for evacuees, collect information on evacuees, share up-to-date information on members still unaccounted for, book hotel rooms and transport evacuees.

"We took over what Emergency Management B.C. and [Thompson-Nicola Regional District] are supposed to do," he said.

Instead, it was left to those Indigenous communities to arrange everything themselves without any additional funding "to save people, to give them anything they're needing," he said, "but it's been hard."

He said the root of the problem is not simply a failure to communicate, but what he alleged is a lack of respect for Indigenous governments and leaders.

"They don't even recognize us," Pasco said. "When an emergency happens, we aren't even important enough — they don't honour our jurisdiction when I phone them up to say, 'Here are the things we need.'

"This province does not recognize our governance systems, what we bring, and how we can protect our people."

Emergency Management B.C.'s executive director of regional operations, Pader Brach, said that First Nations agencies were "engaged as early as possible and sitting at the same table as the provincial government," and that from the get-go the province took "a collaborative approach."

Pasco took issue with EMBC's claims to have included First Nations at the table early on, or that the province is fully sharing its data with Indigenous emergency responders.

"You have huge co-ordination problems when you do not honour the jurisdiction and governance structures of another organization, and that's what this province does," Pasco said.

After the initial evacuation chaos ended, he said he received several calls later on Thursday with apologies from senior ministry officials — but that it "took hours upon hours" for their offers to improve co-ordination.

In his statement, Farnworth promised he would direct his ministry — which oversees emergencies — to order "improving communications with First Nations leaders in the event of an emergency situation," and that those leaders would be included in emergency co-ordination calls.

"We have worked to put in place better systems, based on lessons learned," Farnworth said.

The province said in a release that in the future it would "ensure that First Nations leadership is aware" of its emergency activities, but that last week "the province had little time to work out a plan of action" in light of the "urgency of the tactical evacuation."

Now this today:

First Nations in British Columbia threaten to block rail traffic over fire recovery fears

quote:

First Nations leaders in an area of Interior British Columbia that includes the village of Lytton, which burned in a wildfire, say they are prepared to block trains unless the provincial government and railway companies better respond to their concerns about recovery plans for their communities and continued rail traffic in the region.

“We will likely be refusing any railway traffic,” Matt Pasco, chair of the Nlaka’pamux Nation Tribal Council (NNTC), said in an interview on Monday. “People will be put on notice.”

The NNTC includes the Lytton First Nation and several others along the Fraser and Thompson rivers. Mr. Pasco accuses the province of excluding those nations from discussions about recovery after the fire.

There has been building anger among First Nations in the region about what they argue was a slow, chaotic response in the early hours of the fire, followed by a poorly co-ordinated effort to ensure evacuees were accounted for.

Mr. Pasco said he spotted crews repairing rail infrastructure near Spences Bridge, which is northeast of Lytton. He was bothered to see so many labourers working to fix the rails when so many of his people are struggling in the aftermath of the fire. He said the NNTC communities have had little support from the province.

He directed his ire at both at rail companies and the B.C. government, arguing that it appears as though railways are taking priority over people. “You can build armies of people to build up infrastructure and simply forget about the people affected – that disrespect gets met with: ‘Nobody should be running through our territory.’”

Both CP and CN run trains in the region.

Doug McIntyre is the chief of the Skuppah Indian Band, one of the NNTC’s member bands. His community is roughly five kilometres from Lytton. With the village destroyed, residents must now travel further to access emergency services, banks, and groceries.

Mr. McIntyre said he has not heard from the province since the disaster started last week, and that he doesn’t want trains running through his community.

“Everybody is so upset and if they hear a train, I don’t know what’s going to happen. They are probably going to go down there and try to block it,” Mr. McIntyre said. “Our lives are upside down right now.”

Mr. McIntyre added that he wants officials to discuss the disaster and recovery plan with Indigenous leaders before the trains resume. “We don’t want to stop the trains – that’s the economy of Canada,” he said.

Chiefs of the other NNTC member nations did not return messages seeking comment. Mr. McIntyre said the tribal council is united.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
New governor general today apparently

Anyone recently leave the CBC?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

angerbeet posted:

Wendy Mesley is retiring from the CBC

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

the fire that destroyed Lytton grew so fast that people were forced to evacuate the town within literal minutes. I can't imagine the chaos and it seems the government failed to coordinate with neighbouring First Nations. They're not too happy about this.

B.C. admits communications with First Nations during Lytton fire 'didn't live up to expectations'

Now this today:

First Nations in British Columbia threaten to block rail traffic over fire recovery fears

i can't imagine how frustrating it must be to know that no one knows (or cares) that you exist unless you're running a blockade

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

infernal machines posted:

i can't imagine how frustrating it must be to know that no one knows (or cares) that you exist unless you're running a blockade

this is the case for you and me also

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, no one's leaving me to die in a wildfire and then spending millions to rebuild everything around me without so much as a second thought, so it doesn't sting as much

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

had it not been clear from context i don’t think i’d have ever recognized jagmeet without his turban

so luxurious
:eyepop:
jagmeet is more beautiful than trudeau. what restraint that he does not use this power

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

angerbeet posted:

Marcy Markusa has been on "Vacation" a ton this past month - returning for a couple days then gone again. It's her. I know it.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

This image captures one of the true essences of Canada. Just :discourse:

The nepotism, progeny, Mountie, real estate. So much going on

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

angerbeet posted:

well it turns out you sorta had the right idea :haw:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

From WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...tXDWoDFqQm_Jq88

quote:

Mary Simon, advocate for Inuit rights, named Canada’s first Indigenous governor general

By
Amanda Coletta
July 6, 2021 at 8:51 a.m. MDT

TORONTO — Diplomat Mary Simon, a longtime advocate for Inuit rights, will be Canada’s next governor general, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday. Simon, an Inuk leader and former Canadian ambassador, is the first Indigenous person appointed to serve as the representative of Queen Elizabeth II in Canada.

The announcement comes amid a broader reckoning over Canada’s mistreatment of Indigenous people, which has drawn new attention in recent weeks with the discovery of hundreds of unmarked graves on or near the grounds of former residential schools for Indigenous children.

“Today, after 154 years, our country takes a historic step,” Trudeau said at a news conference at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Quebec. “I cannot think of a better person to meet the moment.”

Simon replaces Julie Payette, a former chief astronaut of the Canadian Space Agency, who resigned in January amid allegations of workplace harassment and bullying. An external review found she had presided over a “toxic” workplace marked by “yelling, screaming, aggressive conduct, demeaning comments and public humiliations.”

Canada’s governor general is appointed by the queen on the recommendation of the prime minister.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
can't believe she's gonna exercise her GG powers and do land back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Holy heck, an Inuk GG. Nakkumek.