Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I tried BG just now for the first time in a month or so, and picked galakrond, and it was giving me the every 4 (or so?) darkmoon prizes. Is that a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pardot posted:

I tried BG just now for the first time in a month or so, and picked galakrond, and it was giving me the every 4 (or so?) darkmoon prizes. Is that a bug?

No, they just reintroduced Darkmoon Prizes as a thing in 25% of games with the most recent patch

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tin Tim posted:

I would say my biggest issue is that my overall play is very single-minded in the sense that I value getting or building towards stats above most other choices.

The single biggest thing you can do is find direction. You might pivot later, but you'll get consistent top 4s just by finding a way to quickly find your set piece and build around it.

• Dragons - Kalecgos. Dragons do literal nothing and are 8th place without Kalecgos. And, honestly, 99% of the time it's identifying that you are swinging for it, having a triple on board, leveling to 5, and praying. Hard rolling a 6 for Kale doesn't work. Playing dragons without Kale doesn't work. If you are ahead on life/board and get the option to triple a 6, and you don't already have direction, you can go for Kale. You don't even need other dragons, really, because a 4/12 isn't the worst 7th body for a turn. I'd rather have like, just a Bronze warden and try to triple Kale, than have like 5 bad dragons and pray. If you have a good board and a Bronze Warden and miss, it's salvageable. Missing with 5 mediocre dragons in play is a death sentence.
• Beasts - Beasts have like 1 game plan and it's name is Goldrinn. This is super problematic because he's also worse with most of the beasts (because you need to start getting rid of your deathrattles to get Macaw), he legit doesn't want Amalgadon, he's on 6, he wants a specific 5 (Baron), and probably a specific 4 (Hydra). You can keep things going a little bit better than dragons because beasts are better tempo and Mama Bear >>> Razorgore.
• Demons - Demons are for early tempo so you can level fast and find cool pieces like tripling a Selfless Hero that you can use in another build. You're either using a big fat Wrath Weaver or deathrattle demons with Juggler. There's no other demon build. Mama is good, but like... Demons/Weaver/Juggler/Mama is like a 6th place build. Hot tip: Crystalweaver is a T3 with 5/4 stats which can be handy on like Turn 5. Crystalweaver is not a buff worth paying gold for later in the game. Caveat: This was true last meta, Juggler buff may have changed this a little, but I doubt it.
• Elementals - Nomi is a thing you can do, but if your Nomi is later than like Turn 8, it's too late, at least in higher lobbies. Aranna has the party rock thing, but that's like a single hero and I wouldn't bother with anyone else. Majordomo got a speedup buff that was nice at the time, but has been outscaled now, so really, you take an elemental because you want the Divine Shield/Cleave or you are buffing the fat butt on a Garr. Otherwise, they aren't really a comp. Lil' Rag was bonkers at realease, but he's usually a dead 6 to triple into now.
• Mechs - Mechs aren't a comp. Foe Reaper is a cleave who's usually better in Menagerie. Deflect-o-bot is one of the best buys in the game. You can do 2 Deflectos and a couple of resets and get somewhere, but you aren't doing like 6 mechs and a Kangor and you aren't tripling that Deflecto on purpose.
• Murlocs - If you aren't George, Murlocs suck. If you are George, I guess you build a poison divine shield board and play around Ghoul. Murlocs only work reliably if you triple into a Brann. HOWEVER, building 1-2 poisoned murlocs works great in other builds and is definitely A Thing To Do.
• Pirates - There's 2 Pirate builds: (1) Scallywag/Eliza + Baron/Chadgar. This is a combo you can build, but unless you really know how to hit the proper 5s/6s in the right tempo, you'll probably fail to build this 80% of the time and just lose. (2) APM Pirates - Salty Looter+Hoggar - You just buy all the pirates, maybe triple into Hooktusk, v0v. It's not super strong, but when it does go off, it's nuts. It sucks in part because you fight with the timer/UI. I wouldn't ever want to do this on mobile. Any other pirates build, or really singleton pirates sucks outside of like... Singleton Eliza with some windfury Amalgadons.
• Quilboars - You can really tell this was the first tribe where they made an overarching design philosophy and stuck to it. You make gems. You use gems. Occasionally you do gem tricks. Charlga is hard mediocre now. Flat Tusk is still very good, but not Tier 0 anymore. You can definitely leverage Aggem/Groundshaker in menagerie. Hot Tip: You probably want to do Necrolyte tricks half as often as you do.
• Menagerie - Specifically, this is the Lightfang/Mythrax/Aggem style. It's still good. OP. It's rough because it also wants a Brann, but outside of Aggem, that means having 2 tribeless slots and a rotation slot, so you really only have 4 tribe units. You'll find yourself rotating brann in for like Jugs and poo poo and then selling him at end of turn sometimes. This will T4 a lot, but winning with it means either having Amalgadons or being a better player than the competition by a bigger margin.
• "Menagerie" - This is the "play what I get" comp. Yeah, you win with these sometimes. You play them a lot. But the important thing is getting good at getting 3rd place with these, because they are what happen when you fail to convert to a good comp.
• Taunt Comp - This is sitting on Tier 4 forever with Arm of the Empire and Qiraji Harbinger. I'd recommend practicing getting good with this because it's a great comp, good tempo, can win, and it's available every game because the important bits (Argus/Harbinger/Arm/Y'Shaarj/Acolyte) are neutral. This comp is way better with Mechs (Module/Deflecto) and Demons (Voidlord), but can run with basically any divine shields and Argus, so go nuts.

The real important thing is knowing which comps are open, knowing where you are on the tempo scale, figuring out how to get into one, and figuring out how to maximize the one you are in. Forcing comps loses games, you play what you get. Just playing good tempo, leveling on time, and keeping your health up gives you more options to roll/level into a comp.

Get your direction piece first. If you don't have any of Kale/Goldrinn/Nomi/Brann/Hoggar/Eliza/Aggem/Groundshaker/Flat Tusk/Lightfang/Mythrax/Arm/Qhiraji, you don't have a comp. Once you get one of those, then you start your game plan.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
In order to come out on top though, you need to have some sort of build that just endlessly buffs your minions. Roll up to the last fight and some prick's got a 100+ Wrath Reaver? Good luck with your projects. By the time you can get Goldgrubber, you've probably got a few tripled cards, and if you can triple Goldgrubber himself, it's pretty much game over for everybody else from there.

I'm still having fun with this game, but I'm noticing how hard the RNG can gently caress you in general. I played a (normal) match just then where I had cleared the board, had 4 decent (but not great) minions out and my opponent had no cards. The next card he drew at the start of the round was flame-strike which wiped out everything. The next card they pulled out of their rear end was some dragon that had STUPID high stats, but the only cards I were pulling at that point were buffs, but I had no minions to put those buffs on. He got 3 free hits to my face with a dragon and that was lights out.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I just finished 2nd in BG to someone who had a golden GoldGrubber in the 140s, another regular one in the 110s, and a ton of other over-statted pirates. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do and I have learned to accept 4th place or better as a "win" because that's what the game does.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

skaboomizzy posted:

I just finished 2nd in BG to someone who had a golden GoldGrubber in the 140s, another regular one in the 110s, and a ton of other over-statted pirates. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do and I have learned to accept 4th place or better as a "win" because that's what the game does.

I mean... this is the record from a perennial top 10 leaderboard player during his stream today:

poo poo happens. poo poo happens harder in lower MMR, because nobody punishes early mistakes, so you'll see these long games where a goldgrubber gets fat (I don't remember the last time I saw a goldgrubber get kept for more than a turn in a 10k+ lobby).

FWIW, here's his 2nd place comp (bottom) that loses to the 1st place comp (top):

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Speaking of BG, Gallywix seems really strong. Just had my first game with him and alongside fast levelling I was starting every turn with over 20 gold at tier6. 600hp Garr by the end. You can absolutely choose your comp with that kind of economy and Hamuul.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Toshimo posted:

FWIW, here's his 2nd place comp (bottom) that loses to the 1st place comp (top):

I'm a casual 6k player but the bottom board looks like trash to me. I would be seriously worried if I go into top 2 with that. I mean that hydra is too small and the raw amount of stats in the comp is also shaky. Reaper is obviously thick but the dragon is just barely big enough imo. Double lightfang at that point is also hella suspect to me. I can understand holding one but two seems too much. Top comp looks like what I usually play and win with so :shrug:

skaboomizzy posted:

If you have fought them while the grubbers were growing you got the information and should have tried to get into poison units to beat them. If you only fought them at the very end then yeah tough luck. But keeping in mind what other people are doing and thinking about how you have to beat that is an important part of your play. Even if you just hover over the other players during the buy phase to get info on their unit types. Like if I'm top 4 and one player has a bunch of pirates according to that info then I know that I either need big stats with shields or poison units that hopefully can land two hits to have a shot at winning the round

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Any Euros around? I need to spectate someone win a game :tipshat:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Boatswain posted:

Any Euros around? I need to spectate someone win a game :tipshat:

Dunxco#2125, drop a friend request and I'll do some ranked :)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I got a couple games in a row where someone discovered an early nomi. At that point I just hope for 4th place.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Considering hopping back into this after not playing for a couple years - I got really frustrated by how insanely RNG-heavy things got, and it was starting to feel like my skill or the decisions I was making were having increasingly little impact on the outcome.

Has this changed at all, or is this still probably going to annoy me? Obviously a little RNG is fine, and I've played MtG for almost two decades at this point so I know sometimes things just don't go your way, but I don't like feeling like every game comes down to who has better luck with the random card effects.

Also, is there a good place to see a breakdown on the new modes? I think Battlegrounds and Duels are both completely new and the former seems...very complicated.

Finally, how is the arena nowadays in terms of overall balance / amount of bullshit I should expect to deal with? It looks like Adventures as I knew them are basically gone and now you get gold / packs through either an all-purpose rewards track or doing arena runs - is that correct? Is it still a good idea to only spend gold on Arena runs or is there other stuff to spend it on now?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 5, 2021

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Alright I got first place in BG as Ysera. And I can safely say, I have no idea how dragons are supposed to work. Like I think I got all the heavy hitters and won but like just barely and in a pretty terrible game.

Kalecgos gives stats if you play a battlecry minions but there is only two dragons with battlecries as far as I could tell. And the only neutral battlecries that seems to help is if you get Argus or a tea if you have amalgamations.

The dragons that gains stats per each friendly dragons grows slower than the pirate that like gold units. Same with hungry dragon. I even got hungry dragon instantly at tier 3 and won most of the early game.

I just don't understand why you would ever go dragon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shwqa posted:

Alright I got first place in BG as Ysera. And I can safely say, I have no idea how dragons are supposed to work. Like I think I got all the heavy hitters and won but like just barely and in a pretty terrible game.

Kalecgos gives stats if you play a battlecry minions but there is only two dragons with battlecries as far as I could tell. And the only neutral battlecries that seems to help is if you get Argus or a tea if you have amalgamations.

The dragons that gains stats per each friendly dragons grows slower than the pirate that like gold units. Same with hungry dragon. I even got hungry dragon instantly at tier 3 and won most of the early game.

You just cycle battlecries. Doesn't matter what they are +5/+5 or better to your whole team evey turn is good scaling. Eventually get Nadina. The end. You're massively overthinking it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hangry Dragon is a trap most of the time anyway.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Amoeba102 posted:

Hangry Dragon is a trap most of the time anyway.

Yeah, outside of Kalecgos, Bronze Warden, and occasionally the dude on T4 who gets a buff from pooped shields, Dragons are like the universally worst tribe as far as what's in their text box. May as well all be blank.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shwqa posted:

You buy every battlecry and slam it down for the +1/+1 to your dragons which is +4-6 per turn without any economy shenanigans or anything but Kalecgos. Like you weren't only trying to roll for dragon specific battlecries right? :psyduck:

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Shwqa posted:

Even battlecries that don't do anything still give you +1 stats. And because you can sell them (because they also don't do anything), they effectively cost 2 gold. So you can get like 4 of any kind of battle cry for +20/+20 to your board each turn.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

You buy every battlecry and slam it down for the +1/+1 to your dragons which is +4-6 per turn without any economy shenanigans or anything but Kalecgos. Like you weren't only trying to roll for dragon specific battlecries right? :psyduck:

Nah I was buying every battlecry I could find. Luckily I had amalgamation basically any battlecry did something.

Edit: I even got battlecry murloc in hand in that screenshot. I just didn't play it because I knew my opponent had a 150/150+ pirate and wanted to keep the poison.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

On Tradeable:

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/1410701062034509827

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/1410701163108859905

then deck is shuffled.

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/1410703130870697988

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/1410708463328452610

Great mechanic. We're about to get a huge shift in how this game feels. I may be super biased since I was around for MtG's first two implementations of the cycling mechanic, but this may be one of the best keywords implemented in this game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm excited that it's the most groundbreaking mechanic introduced possibly in the history of the game. What was the last one that significantly changed the UI, discover? Even that had Tracking as a predecessor.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm excited that it's the most groundbreaking mechanic introduced possibly in the history of the game. What was the last one that significantly changed the UI, discover? Even that had Tracking as a predecessor.

Lifesteal had a new icon added to minion portraits

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I can't wait for them to never use it again after this expansion

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Chernabog posted:

If anybody's interested I could stream next time I play BGs to explain how it all works.

i def. would be interested since i haven't tried bgs in a long time and trying to do bg related weeklies seems like a complete toss up...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Among all the typically ignorable twitter bait decklist posts,

https://twitter.com/WuLingHS/status/1409445494531653632

apparently this one actually has some merit. Yes, jamming 4 minions that can't attack into Rush Warrior somehow works, and there is now data to back this up.

This is sparking a re-examination of the Watch Post package into other classes as well, an interesting shift in the meta so late in this expansion.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Color Printer posted:

That's the nightmare scenario, so hopefully it'll stick around. As a keyword term it's generic enough to be included in any future sets (there's always a zone vendor :v: ).

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

I have updated the FaceHunter and while it looks janky it's running really smooth now:

### Face3.0
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 1x (1) Arcane Shot
# 2x (1) Demon Companion
# 2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (1) Wolpertinger
# 2x (1) Wound Prey
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 2x (2) Kolkar Pack Runner
# 2x (2) Quick Shot
# 1x (2) Wriggling Horror
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 1x (4) Knife Vendor
# 2x (4) Piercing Shot
# 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
# 2x (4) Warsong Wrangler
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 2x (5) Trampling Rhino
#
AAECAairBAa04QOP4wPK4wPl7wPn8AOqnwQMorkD3MwDos4DgtADudIDhuID3OoDn+wD8OwD2+0DqZ8Eu6AEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Just watched a Regis video and guess who is one of the match ups. I looked at the name and was like “whoa!”

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

AnacondaHL posted:

Among all the typically ignorable twitter bait decklist posts,

https://twitter.com/WuLingHS/status/1409445494531653632

apparently this one actually has some merit. Yes, jamming 4 minions that can't attack into Rush Warrior somehow works, and there is now data to back this up.

This is sparking a re-examination of the Watch Post package into other classes as well, an interesting shift in the meta so late in this expansion.
I can understand conceptually why it works. Everyone who has played Rush Warrior knows about those turns where you're opponent isn't doing anything so all you can do is play out understatted minions to easily get out valued. Watch Towers give the deck something to do on those dead turns.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Last King posted:

i def. would be interested since i haven't tried bgs in a long time and trying to do bg related weeklies seems like a complete toss up...

Sure, will post a link next time.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Color Printer posted:

I think this one has a shot, if any of the tech cards work out. Blizzard always seems to want to print tech cards but has trouble making them workable, since by definition they're going to be just a vanilla minion in a good chunk of matchups. Tradable could give them a way to make tech cards usable in general.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

enki42 posted:

I think this one has a shot, if any of the tech cards work out. Blizzard always seems to want to print tech cards but has trouble making them workable, since by definition they're going to be just a vanilla minion in a good chunk of matchups. Tradable could give them a way to make tech cards usable in general.

Even if they don't print more Tradable cards, I could see them including cards like the 3 mana 3/4 that destroys a weapon instead of Ooze in future core sets. At least, if they aren't cowards.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Flayer posted:

I can understand conceptually why it works. Everyone who has played Rush Warrior knows about those turns where you're opponent isn't doing anything so all you can do is play out understatted minions to easily get out valued. Watch Towers give the deck something to do on those dead turns.

Also the watch towers are a reason to play conditioning before turn 5. They only got nerfed by 1 health, so handbuffing them by 1 is probably Good Enough.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

enki42 posted:

Yeah, it's something I'm really hoping will be an evergreen mechanic.

They're actually likely to be useful for combo decks as well as they're cheap cycle.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

gandlethorpe posted:

Vol'Jin in Battlegrounds has a hero power that lets you select two different minions. Sounds stupidly simple but could honestly enable a ton of new card functions in the main game

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

goferchan posted:

Vol'Jin in Battlegrounds has a hero power that lets you select two different minions. Sounds stupidly simple but could honestly enable a ton of new card functions in the main game

I was excited about how they would implement multitargeting when that was first announced, but the way they did it is actually pretty in line with what the game has been capable of for a while. When you use his HP, it flips into another hero power for the second target, which has been a thing since Shadowform. They can get away with that in BGs, but in constructed it would have implications with things that trigger off of HP usage. If they wanted to try it with a card, it would affect things like Gadgetzan, Edwin, Ogremancer etc.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Last King posted:

Will be playing a few games and explaining what I'm doing in here:

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 6, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Olpainless posted:

They're actually likely to be useful for combo decks as well as they're cheap cycle.

That's actually my one worry with Tradeable, that there will be some bullshit deck that abuses it to cycle quickly and doesn't actually care about the card text, which might cool Blizzard on the idea of using it in future sets.

Sort of requires a critical mass though, so if it's just for a few tech cards post this expansion it might be OK.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Who are some good Classic players to watch to get a feel for the meta / learn some of the decks? It's gonna be a while before I have anything playable in Standard so Classic seems ideal, but most of the people playing this mode seem to be pretty experienced.

I'd especially love some recommendations for people that actually talk through their plays a bit and discuss why they make the decisions they make.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

enki42 posted:

That's actually my one worry with Tradeable, that there will be some bullshit deck that abuses it to cycle quickly and doesn't actually care about the card text, which might cool Blizzard on the idea of using it in future sets.

Sort of requires a critical mass though, so if it's just for a few tech cards post this expansion it might be OK.

I’m not too worried about tradable cards enabling degenerate combo decks because if you put like 12 tradable cards into your deck or whatever, you’re gonna keep drawing them if you just trade them away and never play them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the worst part of every expansion is the wait when there's no reveals :argh: