Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the impact of 9/11 and the ensuing forever war on ufo discourse is understated. a whole lotta people who would otherwise have been incredibly skeptical of the government went full on Support Are Troops and for reasons unrelated to ufo secrecy became extremely conditioned to just not question the government

it's fascinating to watch it all evolve in real time now that that particular dynamic has largely fallen away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0XmjtRYwAE
These birds are acting funny

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Jazerus posted:

personally i don't buy into cattle mutilation or abductions as bird-adjacent, at least until one of those little grey perverts admits to it

i think history is full of grifters and copycats, and yeah tbh i do put a lot more stock into stuff like the school kid mass sightings than i do abductions. i think i just mean that questioning why would aliens do such things has little bearing on whether or not they happened.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I do wonder about the logical need for a flock of birds versus just one, if their purpose is just observation.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ross DaouThot posted:

just wanna hop in to publicly apologize to wheee and the the thread for making GBS threads it up, last night i had weed for the first time in a month because of a surgery a couple weeks ago, and i basically had a bit of a gradual onset breakdown as i was reading the last few posts, my brain very rapidly spiraled afterwards so i logged off

:glomp:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Which I think actually leads to a broader question of why they act the way they do (in the recent/historic tictac style encounters) if they're theoretically just doing reconnaissance.

Note this supposes they are separate objects and not something really wacky.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Of all the ways to die in WWII...

NUFORC posted:

On the morning in question, the plane was lifted off the heavy cruiser, and was launched. As the plane was returning to land, the witness, together with approximately 25 other witnesses aboard his vessel, were stunned as the aircraft appeared to fly into an object, which was invisible to the witnesses, and crash in a ball of tangled metal. The pilot and observer were killed in the collision, and no recovery effort was mounted.

The witness reports that the aircraft, which had been at an altitude of approximately “200 yards,” he recounted, simply stopped flying in an instant, and fell vertically into the ocean as a ball of wreckage.

((NUFORC Note: We have spoken via telephone with this witness on a number of occasions, and we consider him to be an exceptional witness, and highly reliable. We would welcome additional reports from anyone who also may have been witness to this incident. PD))

Zisky
May 6, 2003

WEH posted:

Flight 19 is also pretty perplexing.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

WEH posted:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Also which one of you is trolling GBS with that timetravel thread lmao

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

WEH posted:

Spooky poo poo

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zisky posted:

Flight 19 is also pretty perplexing.

this is one that became a lot less perplexing once I got out a map, plotted distances, and found a pretty plausible route they could have flown. basically, none of their equipment was malfunctioning, they just flew way too far on their first leg and then when they made the turn exactly as they were supposed to, it put them in the open water between grand bahama and the abacos instead of on a path to intersect with grand bahama. that led them basically over something that looked an awful lot like the florida keys at the end of the abacos and then out into the open ocean where they flew in circles until they all had to ditch.

the only real mystery is why taylor thought he could possibly be over the keys, given the distances involved, but i can at least buy that he looked down and saw something he was absolutely positive was the florida keys. since he'd been stationed at key west, something must have made him certain he was looking at them, even if the math on distance flown didn't work out at all. people do stupid things like that when they're panicking

Zisky
May 6, 2003

quote:

It is possible that Taylor overshot Gorda Cay and instead reached another land mass in the southern Abaco Islands. He then proceeded northwest as planned. He fully expected to find the Grand Bahama Island lying in front of him as expected. Instead, he eventually saw a land mass to his right side, the northern part of Abaco Island. Believing that this landmass to his right was the Grand Bahama Island and his compass was malfunctioning, he set a course to what he thought was southwest to head straight back to Fort Lauderdale. However, in reality this changed his course farther northwest, toward open ocean.

To further add to his confusion, he encountered a series of islands north of Abaco Island, which look very similar to the Key West Islands. The control tower then suggested that Taylor's team should fly west, which would have taken them to the landmass of Florida eventually. Taylor headed for what he thought was west, but in reality was northwest, almost parallel to Florida.

From the Wikipedia article. Pretty much what you said but it still assumes his compass was malfunctioning.

Zisky has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Jul 6, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The PBM looking for them disappearing too definitely adds to it, but apparently they had a habit of falling out of the sky

Zisky
May 6, 2003

WEH posted:

The PBM looking for them disappearing too definitely adds to it, but apparently they had a habit of falling out of the sky

They called them flying gas tanks, lol.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

never attribute to UAPs what can be adequately explained by the deadly nature of light aircraft

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zisky posted:

They called them flying gas tanks, lol.

yeah it's definitely one of those stories that kinda relies on people not understanding just how loving dangerous flight was back then, and how much extra danger got added because of the war (less training, less maintenance, shoddy planning, etc.)

poo poo like how none of them had clocks in their planes but they flew anyways because everyone would have had a watch. like, that's not some clue that weird poo poo is in the offing, that's an indicator of how seat-of-the-pants everything was at this place. they couldn't have planes ready to go for every mission with every part in them, and that was okay to the people in charge. gently caress it, send 'em up anyways.

it's a minor wonder that there weren't more "mysterious" disappearances like flight 19

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Wheeee posted:

never attribute to UAPs what can be adequately explained by the deadly nature of light aircraft

Especially when we still can't find the wreckage from every plane that goes missing over water.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zisky posted:

Especially when we still can't find the wreckage from every plane that goes missing over water.

my favorite part of this was when they found a flight of avengers in the water off florida and it turned out to have been a completely separate missing flight and not flight 19. completely normal thing to find, didn't make anyone question just how insane things were back then

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Azathoth posted:

my favorite part of this was when they found a flight of avengers in the water off florida and it turned out to have been a completely separate missing flight and not flight 19. completely normal thing to find, didn't make anyone question just how insane things were back then

I think not being able to find Malaysian Flight 370 was a real eye opener for a lot of people.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think the ability to go on google maps and zoom around has kinda robbed people of the understanding that earth, and especially its oceans, are really, really goddamn big and empty

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zisky posted:

I think not being able to find Malaysian Flight 370 was a real eye opener for a lot of people.

i think the part where it really hit me was the search for steve fossett in 2007 where in a week they found 8 other aircraft crash sites no one knew about, including one from WW2. even on land where wreckage would be visible at a minimum if someone stumbled by, nope 8 other airplanes just sitting there no one had ever found before

it's a miracle anything ever gets found underwater

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Azathoth posted:

i think the part where it really hit me was the search it's a miracle anything ever gets found underwater

Hell they didn't even find the Titanic until 1985.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Zisky posted:

In that interview with Coulthart, he speculates that's where the US might be operating its advanced aircraft tests, specifically because there are so few eyes on that area. There are a *ton* of sightings and weird happenings on the North West cape of Australia. Would not surprise me if that were the case, given the nature of the US presence in the country, and because of how many people are camping out in New Mexico and Nevada to try and see a UFO. To be clear, he is not asserting that the US had anything to do with flight 370

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
my money is on they're film crews/xenologists and 'planet of the apes: climates apocalypse' is an extremely popular galactic reality tv show

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
they could save us, but watching us kill a planet is just better entertainment value. the prime directive states they can only interfere if it would make better television.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

blaze a fat bowl and get high af

sit back get comfy and close your eyes

listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Y-XtyLmuY

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Jul 6, 2021

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
UFOs are oddsmakers gathering data on which extinction event does humanity in. Place your bets now on Zarbulon IV

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

splifyphus posted:

they could save us, but watching us kill a planet is just better entertainment value. the prime directive states they can only interfere if it would make better television.

the primetime directive

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
show them what u got :dong:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Library and Archives Canada posted:

Canada's UFOs: The search for the unknown

This database provides access to about 9,500 digitized documents from our government records collection. These documents include reports, sightings and investigations of UFOs across Canada.

:911: - 9 :flaccid:

:australia: - 7700 :hmmyes:

:canada: - 9500

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the primetime directive

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

did you find em yet

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

only aitee more days until the galactic federation unveils itself

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

climate change knocking them loose from the ocean floor

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

sorry everyone we can't release any real evidence because if we don't protect our methods and sources china might be able to figure out a ballpark resolving capability of a sensor system we designed in 2003

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Wheeee posted:

sorry everyone we can't release any real evidence because if we don't protect our methods and sources china might be able to figure out a ballpark resolving capability of a sensor system we designed in 2003

im thinking that the pushback from the ultrareligious demon-believers within the military is even stronger than that

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Wheeee posted:

you also learn for sure which orbital object is actually a spy sat, although lol that adversaries don't already know via other means

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

*air force guy with four stars on his shoulders* UFOs are another of Satan's plans to corrupt and destroy His children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

you also learn for sure which orbital object is actually a spy sat, although lol that adversaries don't already know via other means