Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
USSF is such a puppet of MLS. How frustrating for a fan of some of the lower league teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This has been in the pipe for a while. Basically is a D3 league that will consist of mostly U23 teams and "some" independent teams. IIRC the belief is those indy teams might come from clubs already fielding academy teams in the new MLS NEXT system.

Still, I kinda hate it because it's another parallel system.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

And it's official

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Edward Mass posted:

It's going to be a reserve league, I'd bet.

I've been ignoring all this fanfare for a project that will basically flip USL's "mostly independent teams with some reserves" to "mostly reserves with some independents".

Good for various MLS academy prospects that need polishing (and their resale value, which is likely why HQ is doing it) that it exists but I can't imagine it as anything that should worry USL or NISA anymore than "being American soccer leagues without billionaire investors" already should?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

it seems like an obvious way to expand mls footprint and infrastructure and put them in a strong position to take more control over lower divisions depending on how things evolve over the coming years. its not as if USL or NASL are exactly the most stable leagues in the world and id assume in the long term more and more may come under the mls umbrella formally.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Bring back Reno 1868

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

it seems like an obvious way to expand mls footprint and infrastructure and put them in a strong position to take more control over lower divisions depending on how things evolve over the coming years. its not as if USL or NASL are exactly the most stable leagues in the world and id assume in the long term more and more may come under the mls umbrella formally.
uhhhh the NASL hasn't played a game since 2017

CubanMissile posted:

Bring back Reno 1868
Reno was a good market but were shackled by having personnel controlled by an MLS team, playing in a baseball stadium that was actually being used for minor league baseball, and also having their own venue talks stall due in part to Covid's impact on the local economy.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Congratulations on (eventually) escaping New Jersey kid

https://twitter.com/RBLeipzig_EN/status/1408047382802038787

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

uhhhh the NASL hasn't played a game since 2017

lol i thought there was still an ongoing attempt to bring it back (again) but i guess its actually fully dead

good move for clark

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I guess we always knew this was coming, just was it going to be Salzburg or Leipzig. Happy for him though, it would be neat to have two Americans running around on the same team in the champions league if he can force his way into the side.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Apparently someone on Minnesota did a racism/homophobia last night

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/1409034070344884227

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/1409034070344884227
Word is it's the new guy, Fragapane.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

They shouldn’t have had to play in the first place; Portland had its hottest day on record and then both teams had to run around on loving turf.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And there was much rejoicing in the Bay Area:

https://twitter.com/SJEarthquakes/status/1409944447173816323

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Should have happened about two years ago.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

this can go here i guess

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1410325829289132038?s=20

i think it's funny how our strikers are better than yours and yet he still chose us

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cross-posting because there's a lot of MLSers:

whypick1 posted:

Gold Cup roster for the US:

GOALKEEPERS (3):

Brad Guzan – Atlanta United
Sean Johnson – New York City FC
Matt Turner – New England Revolution

DEFENDERS (8):

George Bello – Atlanta United
Reggie Cannon – Boavista
Shaq Moore – Tenerife
Donovan Pines – D.C. United
Miles Robinson – Atlanta United
James Sands – New York City FC
Sam Vines – Colorado Rapids
Walker Zimmerman – Nashville SC

MIDFIELDERS (6):

Kellyn Acosta – Colorado Rapids
Gianluca Busio – Sporting Kansas City
Sebastian Lletget – LA Galaxy
Cristian Roldan – Seattle Sounders
Eryk Williamson – Portland Timbers
Jackson Yueill – San Jose Earthquakes

FORWARDS (6):

Paul Arriola – D.C. United
Daryl Dike – Orlando City SC
Nicholas Gioacchini – Caen
Matthew Hoppe – Schalke
Jonathan Lewis – Colorado Rapids
Gyasi Zardes – Columbus Crew

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 1, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Turner :toot:

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
So what's the consensus on Nagbe? I thought his star was rising when he generated that big transfer fee a few years ago. He won Portland Atlanta and Columbus MLS cups. Was he part of that group blamed for missing the world cup?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Giganticon posted:

So what's the consensus on Nagbe? I thought his star was rising when he generated that big transfer fee a few years ago. He won Portland Atlanta and Columbus MLS cups. Was he part of that group blamed for missing the world cup?

He declined a call up like last year or two years ago. I dont think he's one of "berhalter's guys". He said he was more focused on club and family than the national team.

And unfortunately yes, he has the stink of missing the WC, whether that's fair or not.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1411743570982326274

:toot:

Good riddance to a mistake

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

11 leagues games + 4 CONCACAF CL for a combined 2-10-3 record. The only non-interim head coaching stint that was shorter that I can think of was Wilmer Cabrera's "only-finishing-out-the-end-of-the-season-and-nothing-more" 9 game stint at Montreal in '19. Even the carousel that was Chivas USA had their coaches hit 20 games.

TwoStepBoog posted:

If Armas gets fired after tonight's game, DC United will have been the reason he's been fired both times.

Galaxy brain move: Armas gets hired by DC, holds on to the job forever. Can't lose to DC if you never play them.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

We've had one (interm) coach with a shorter residency.

https://twitter.com/martyn_bailey/status/1411501249661489152?s=19

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

More good news for TFC:

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1411783321420447746

Hopefully the other two teams will announce something soon as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

whypick1 posted:

More good news for TFC:

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1411783321420447746

I called it:

Edward Mass posted:

I’m pretty sure Toronto won’t be good again until the border opens up again.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

The BC government's announced that they'll allow fans (50% IIRC for now), but the team haven't said anything definitive yet about when. Last I heard they planned to come back in August but hopefully the timeline gets moved up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

League won't do anything due to lack of evidence

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That's what the result was always going to be. When Diomande claimed David Guzman did a racism it was in a scrum with a bunch of players and multiple camera angles. According to the investigation nobody could corroborate the claim and the film was inconclusive. Now this incidident that was between 2 people, off the ball, without the cameras focusing and nobody nearby, was always goign to be "inconclusive."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Don't have any hot Twitter links handy but apparently there are people in the social media ~~~discourse~~~ who are downright ANGRY that Soccer Moses in Nashville is a thing.

I don't know how one of the actual good things about Major League Soccer could piss you off, but there you go.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

MLS' teams various loud and/or explosive stadium gimmicks (see also the new anthem from last year) are authentic as hell, they're just the wrong KIND of authentic so some people find them cringe.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't have any hot Twitter links handy but apparently there are people in the social media ~~~discourse~~~ who are downright ANGRY that Soccer Moses in Nashville is a thing.

I don't know how one of the actual good things about Major League Soccer could piss you off, but there you go.

Username checks out OP. The whole guitar shredding / Soccer Moses thing is downright idiotic.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I wholeheartedly endorse any kind of MLS fan culture that isn't copy-pasted from another club.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
STLCSC is collaborating with a fan group who have been “leading the charge” for a St. Louis MLS team for years, and I’m terrified of what cringe poo poo they come up with by the time the first game is played here in 2023.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'll say this about Austin's pre-match ritual of a local person of note banging a drum and leading a chant: it's simple and inoffensive.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

STLCSC is collaborating with a fan group who have been “leading the charge” for a St. Louis MLS team for years, and I’m terrified of what cringe poo poo they come up with by the time the first game is played here in 2023.
In my experience those "fan groups" who "lead the charge" for expansion teams are also the people who sit on their asses while there are lower tier teams around, and they are experts at coming up with top-shelf cringe.

Edward Mass posted:

I'll say this about Austin's pre-match ritual of a local person of note banging a drum and leading a chant: it's simple and inoffensive.
Banging a drum is great: it's loud, it gets people in rhythm, and it's fun.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Charlotte has a head coach now: Miguel Angel Ramirez. Seems to be similar in profile as Hernan Losada except not a former player.

Can't be any worse than Chris Armas, right?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
We got a Leagues Cup

highme
May 25, 2001

Here's hoping for a Seattle/SKC Leagues Cup final.

Also, have some Calvinball news

https://twitter.com/ChrisRifer/status/1412911882206289923

highme fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 8, 2021

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Crew basically have no players left from injury and call ups as another just got called up to Gold Cup.

I think Friday we might only be able to have a bench of three outfield players and multiple players will be forced to play out of position.

Our only striker was just recalled from USL. We only have two wingers out of 5. Only 1 LB.

It's almost comical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

insider posted:

It's almost comical.

After Portland got shellacked by Austin last week I saw one of the TAs most obnoxious complainers going off about our lack of depth hurting us. Like we were ever going to field anything but the kids for our 2nd midweek match during Texas summer in 8 days against an expansion team. On top of the schedule congestion , we have 2 DPs recovering from ACL tears, the 3rd DP and 3rd choice striker were playing in Copa and then there are the rest of the injuries and oh yeah, Eryk got called up finally.