Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be clear Edelgard has a lot of reason to hate the church (it's a JRPG so 'church...bad?' is a given) but I do genuinely think removing an element of 'oh and on top of it they view who I am as an inherent sin even stripping politics away from everything' genuinely weakens the narrative by removing an element of the church's oppression on the world that would harm more people than the nobles you interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Edelgard was an excellent RPG villain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

edelgard....... is cute

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
While I'm in my cups and mourning games I played too much as a kid. Bring back Skies of Arcadia. Has any nerd done a retrospective video on Skies?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rhea is gay which makes church homophobia funnier

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

While I'm in my cups and mourning games I played too much as a kid. Bring back Skies of Arcadia. Has any nerd done a retrospective video on Skies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2nBcKQKwiE

heres a little video on some concept art of the beta of skies of arcadia and what little info there is on the canned skies of arcadia 2 (rip)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Edelgard is good and my friend. She did nothing wrong.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

edelgard is cool, mostly,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SteelMentor posted:

every year at E3 I say to myself, this is it. this is the year they reveal the remaster of Skies of Arcadia

and every year my heart grows smaller, weaker,

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2nBcKQKwiE

heres a little video on some concept art of the beta of skies of arcadia and what little info there is on the canned skies of arcadia 2 (rip)

I want an HD release of Skies on the Switch so goddamn bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Booky posted:

edelgard is cool, mostly,

She's cool because she works as either the reluctant villain of the other stories or a tragic hero of her own depending on how a very critical life event goes in deciding if she has a compassionate mentor in Byleth to avoid the worst of her fate.

Also lets be real, Black Eagle House has the highest amount of good good characters.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Three houses is a game about how having a good teacher who is hot helps you do things

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not here to tell you Skies of Arcadia is bad but I am here to tell to the ship to ship combat in Skies of Arcadia isn’t very good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The best characters use the same weapon as known Best Character Hector, the noble axe, which means Edelgard is the best character.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

The best characters use the same weapon as known Best Character Hector, the noble axe, which means Edelgard is the best character.

Agreed lex is top tier

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

For those who don't know:

Three Houses is a game with multiple story paths all centered around a war started by the character Edelgard. Even in her own route, which is the most sympathetic to her, she is the instigator and aggressor against multiple, non-hostile foreign powers that are actively seeking international co-operation in order to quell internal disputes. (Her reasoning for doing it involves a bunch of anime plot twists and conspiracies around human experimentation) Interpretations of her character vary wildly and she ended up being extremely divisive among the fanbase of the game. Many, many internet slap fights and arguments have been started because of it.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 6, 2021

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

There is more than enough evidence for you to infer that war was inevitable because it was quite literally three countries under a pope who has no qualms quashing what she perceived as dissent of any kind. Doing that to an empire, a "chivalrous" monarchy, and a growing capitalist oligarchy is a recipe for disaster. Then you throw actual eugenics and bloodline supremacy into the mix...

Three Houses is good. Play Three Houses.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Videogames are actually bad.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
video games are bad and play three houses

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Regicide is a righteous act.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Perfect Potato posted:

Trying to frame the subjugation of an entire continent into some pro lgbt crusade based off a throwaway support line is certainly on point for Edelgard's fanbase. Makes me sympathize with Treehouse to an extent considering the amount of undue abuse and harrassment that have been directed at them by people desperate to defend her honor.

So were you lurking forver and this is the hill you chose to fight on or were you searching SA for Edelgard posting?

Either way you're a true posting freak and I love it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also Dorothea and Manuela are very good and it's a shame they only let me romance one of them.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Gwen posted:

quite literally three countries under a pope who has no qualms quashing what she perceived as dissent of any kind.

Nah. The only instances of the church flexing its power in part 1 of the base game outside bandit cleanup are what, Lonato and the Western Church? One is a guy raising an army to quite literally kill said pope because they lied about his son's involvement in Duscur (he actually was just executed for also plotting to kill the very same pope, keeping it in the family I guess) the other a heretical branch of clergy who have been at odds with the main branch for decades and just to tried to steal god's corpse. Ironically some people tried to stan for the Western Church for a very brief period, which is funny since the only bit of exposition on how their beliefs differ that you get from a student when Seteth orders you to investigate their movements is "we hate all the foreigners and non-believers that Central is protecting." The Southern Church was also completely expelled from the Empire without reprisal and the Eastern church is basically just a front for Alliance donations.

The church's main issue and the reason why everything falls apart and the cartoon albino molemen villains get to poo poo on everything is that the church is too passive and apathetic to everything that's happening (even Hubert says they should've been more hands on) because the pope just wants her mommy. Oh Loog just split the country? 's cool. Ionius went full Garon on the Hrym's that turned against him and the other nobles deposed him? whatevs

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It seems like literal Shaver Mystery dero being behind the plot of Three Houses gets relatively little discussion. Are they just not that important in the actual story?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

e; actually nevermind not gonna derail with fe discourse

Gwen fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 6, 2021

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

It seems like literal Shaver Mystery dero being behind the plot of Three Houses gets relatively little discussion. Are they just not that important in the actual story?

They're arguably the biggest victims of the writing. The story ballooning from the initial concept probably did them in, but even in the shared part 1 they're comically stupid. They're the dark, ever present threat, the puppetmaster in the shadows, the millennia long conspiracy, but they wind up also having to be incredibly ineffectual and incompetent so that [insert route leader here] can feasibly kill them. The important ones don't even get to unmask themselves in Dimitri's route before getting stomped into the ground. The only time they get any sort of glow up is in Church/Claude route and that lasts for all of a chapter and a half before their leader has his "this isn't blood it's victory wine" moment

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dorothea is too pure for this bullshit world and if you don't recruit her on every playthrough regardless of route choice you're doing it wrong.

I really wish Nintendo would stop making lovely side story DLC nobody cares about and actually beef up Crimson Flower so it feels like a full route instead of a clearly last minute addition.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Immensely late but I watched the icarly video and as someone who has vague memories of the show from having watched it a lot with my little sister: I liked it

Also Edelgard owns

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 6, 2021

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Anyone know what got Todd in the Shadows' twitter suspended? I'm not sure whether it was some hogshit twitter reason or something legit, and while I wouldn't guess he was the type to go doing something dumb, we've all had a good dose of "expect the unexpected" for years.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I’m not here to tell you Skies of Arcadia is bad but I am here to tell to the ship to ship combat in Skies of Arcadia isn’t very good.

Mechanically they were very boring, but they were very engaging emotionally.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alvarez IV posted:

Anyone know what got Todd in the Shadows' twitter suspended? I'm not sure whether it was some hogshit twitter reason or something legit, and while I wouldn't guess he was the type to go doing something dumb, we've all had a good dose of "expect the unexpected" for years.

Some people on Twitter are saying Jourdaine Sears sent her fans after him to mass report him but I cant find any evidence of this

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bizarre Podcast covers the Death 13 fight, making good on their promise in the previous episode to simply do two episodes at a time so things flow better and they're not watching half of one fight with a cliffhanger for a week of how it concludes. Also we aren't subjected to even more reason to be antsy for the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=672JOnBo8Mo

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

StealthArcher posted:

Regicide is a righteous act.

The dividing line here seems to be wether you think killing the king or killing the pope is more righteous.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kibayasu posted:

its sooo slow but halfway through the game you start just melting everything with a giant anime laser cannon so it evens out imo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

don’t mind me folks just practicing my daily ritual of typing “edelgard” into the search bar so I can find random people to yell at

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i like ike

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sydin posted:

Dorothea is too pure for this bullshit world and if you don't recruit her on every playthrough regardless of route choice you're doing it wrong.

I really wish Nintendo would stop making lovely side story DLC nobody cares about and actually beef up Crimson Flower so it feels like a full route instead of a clearly last minute addition.

It’s pretty funny that the most interesting character in the game got the most blatantly half-finished storyline

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Alvarez IV posted:

He posted pro Edelgard memes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Augus posted:

don’t mind me folks just practicing my daily ritual of typing “edelgard” into the search bar so I can find random people to yell at

Honestly I can't help but respect the dedication in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

edelfart