Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The gag with Rick hastily editing Morty's custom tee for Summer was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Planetina was wrong in that she was slaughtering the wage slaves at the bottom instead of the actual people who need to die at the top

Like if you're anti Amazon you want to guillotine Jeff Bezo, not go shoot up an Amazon warehouse full of people trying to make a living (and struggling because Bezo is a shithead)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She’s an elemental demiurge psychically linked to the planet, trying to analyze her behavior through the lens of a human being is 100% not going to work.

Also Morty only murdered Wheeler in self-defense, and then murdered the other 3 because he felt like it was “the right thing to do” so ideologically he is perfectly willing to kill something for the greater good, which is the same thing she’s doing, just on a much larger scale.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I thought it was funny that she used her fire powers to light a molotov instead of just burning that house down with her fire powers

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

Planetina was wrong in that she was slaughtering the wage slaves at the bottom instead of the actual people who need to die at the top

Like if you're anti Amazon you want to guillotine Jeff Bezo, not go shoot up an Amazon warehouse full of people trying to make a living (and struggling because Bezo is a shithead)
They addressed this by having the miners say they voted to keep the mine open.

In the real world the habitability of the planet in the next couple centuries really does come down to voters in the United States.

There are people more culpable, ultimately, but US voters are a critical element of loving everything up today.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the show doesn't present an easy solution. planetina is right that only immediate, radical action is necessary to save the earth but morty isn't wrong for being horrified by the extreme violence that his girlfriend is willing to pursue toward those ends. this dilemma, in turns, allows the show to function as a dumb but functional explanation for the dissolution of a once-passionate relationship. they like each other but have fundamentally different visions for the world.

while i think the execution leaves a little to be desired, i did appreciate the show not taking the cynical, lazy approach of saying that "love isn't real" or letting morty's heart be broken by someone else yet again. i'm glad the show let morty be an active agent, both in terms of initiating the relationship and ultimately ending it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Challenge mode: name 2 senators whose house you wouldn't burn down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I thought it was funny that she used her fire powers to light a molotov instead of just burning that house down with her fire powers

Same lol

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Thundercracker posted:

Just go into any comic shop and ask what's keeping the lights on and it's going to be Yu-Gi-Oh and MTG cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if DC and Marvel keep comic books around just to maintain the IP at this point.

fwiw i manage a comic/game store and comics/back issues account for about 13% of our business. when you factor in books, i.e. manga, trades, graphic novels, kids books, etc, that percentage jumps to about 32%. card games are hot right now and account for about 38% of sales this year, the pokemon craze hasn't really stopped. that's not always the case, it's all ebbs and flows and we thrive by being flexible.

comics will keep being printed as long as there's some money in it. there's a lot of great stuff coming out too! there are comic companies other than DC and Marvel and their stuff is getting snapped up for adaptations now as well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The action sequence of Morty VS the Not-Planeteers was extremely good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
As a proud member of the oil and gas industry, I’m glad the new episode took a stand against eco terrorism

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SirSamVimes posted:

The action sequence of Morty VS the Not-Planeteers was extremely good.

We've seen Morty fight quite a few times by now, but it's always great to see him going in without the crutch of Rick's tech. It's also really funny that the Kwame character specifies "water! cold water!" when he wants to shoot ice at someone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

As a proud member of the oil and gas industry, I’m glad the new episode took a stand against eco terrorism

Did it, though? At best, it portrayed the outright mass murder of anyone in the fossil fuel industry as the kind of thing that's worth breaking up your teenage relationship over. I mean, that's not wrong--if I caught Mrs. Tarlibone murdering people based on their profession, I'd break up with her, and that's a huge deal because we're married and it would involve lawyers and court and all that poo poo. But as was noted earlier, she gets to fly off at the end of the episode, completely unpunshed in-universe save for the bump on her pride from getting dumped.

ikanreed posted:

Insert a list of all senators here.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The gag with Rick hastily editing Morty's custom tee for Summer was great.

Yes! I paused it so I could take it all in. He just wrote Summer over Morty's name, added a pony tail, and drew on some boobs. If there was something else, I'm forgetting it.

I do wonder why they censored the shirt, though. It was censored in-universe, and that's just really weird.

What is so risqué about being a patty smasher? How else are you going to get those delicious burgers that are smashed thin, cooked until the edges are crispy, and tripled up on a greasy bun?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
holy poo poo I am so hungry after that post

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

the show doesn't present an easy solution. planetina is right that only immediate, radical action is necessary to save the earth but morty isn't wrong for being horrified by the extreme violence that his girlfriend is willing to pursue toward those ends. this dilemma, in turns, allows the show to function as a dumb but functional explanation for the dissolution of a once-passionate relationship. they like each other but have fundamentally different visions for the world.

while i think the execution leaves a little to be desired, i did appreciate the show not taking the cynical, lazy approach of saying that "love isn't real" or letting morty's heart be broken by someone else yet again. i'm glad the show let morty be an active agent, both in terms of initiating the relationship and ultimately ending it.

He was left sobbing to his mom about how much he loved his ex. I think he was broken hearted.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some of the worst break ups are when you still love the person even though you know you have to say goodbye

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

All i got from this episode is summer's still the best

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Mx. posted:

All i got from this episode is summer's still the best

now this here is a take I won't argue with

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat, you ain't kidding
that's a lot of yellowing around the eyes

Once you're able to so clearly see these indicators of liver damage, it's already too late.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

BTW the censoring of rear end-eating was not a 'joke', it's your silly prudish censors, because here in Australia we got the full outrageous indecent tongue-wagging in all its glory

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

In other news, I saw the BTS clip of this episode and Dan Harmon legitimately looks like he is on Death's Door, is he ill or is he like 65 years old?

That’s a rough looking 48 oof

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
The shows criticism of planatina is not new.

While she can be read as an eco-terrorist it’s more fitting to see her at the limit of what a superhero (or individual action) can do against systemic issues.

It’s the same thing Rick tried to say to the Vindicators when he put them in his Saw Trap about Israel.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Also lol at the people saying “where are the jokes?”. I guess what the show needs is a laugh track or for Jerry to mug at the camera to give you permission to enjoy it.

Hamburger Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 6, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick & Summer’s plot is JUST jokes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

tarlibone posted:

Insert a list of all senators here.

Sad!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

Some of the worst break ups are when you still love the person even though you know you have to say goodbye

Yeah, sometimes you're fundamentally incompatible with a person despite the love you share with them. Like, if you want kids and the other person doesn't or if one person is an eco terrorist and the other person is only okay murdering for personal reasons.

The love is still there, but the two of you just want to live very different lives.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really loved the "...I'll get the wine." "Thank you." between Jerry and Beth. The two of them are on the same page this season and I enjoy the dynamic.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, mixing up Jerry's dynamic is working really well. Him just ignoring the sci-fi stuff in favor of having fun is a nice change. I loved him pulling out the big boxing glove gadget.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, mixing up Jerry's dynamic is working really well. Him just ignoring the sci-fi stuff in favor of having fun is a nice change. I loved him pulling out the big boxing glove gadget.

This was great, he doesn't care about whatever else is going on, he wants his game night, and he's going to play the game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ikanreed posted:

can i say bernie twice if i'm counting both his houses?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

I mean, I'm not thrilled with my senators, and there's some I'd like to punch. But I'm not an arsonist. Besides, what would it accomplish? If the senators survive, then they'll find another house--one that's probably harder to burn down. And if they die, guess what? Replacement senators will get appointed, and they can be even worse than the ones who get elected.

Also, senators are the apotheosis of the privilege class that says "Oh, just let it burn and have the insurance pay for it" when stuff starts getting set on fire. They literally don't care because they're insured up to the eyeballs and have cash reserves aplenty; they won't want for shelter.

Burning senators' houses? You're thinking too big and too small all at the same time. It's... a conundrum.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Eiba posted:

They addressed this by having the miners say they voted to keep the mine open.

In the real world the habitability of the planet in the next couple centuries really does come down to voters in the United States.

There are people more culpable, ultimately, but US voters are a critical element of loving everything up today.

In a more perfect world, the miners would all quit their jobs rather than continue to perpetuate the system. The more motivated ones could move to major urban centers and jockey for positions at raw vegan restaurants. The lesser enterprising ones could OD on fentanyl and strike out their carbon footprint forthwith. And sure, maybe the mining conglomerate will import still-more desperate labor to take their places. And yeah, maybe a rapidly industrializing Asia and Africa will make America's carbon footprint look like a dimple in the sand. But the cosmic ledger will recognize the miners' sacrifice and reward them handsomely in the hereafter.

Dumbass.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
In the real world, a lot of happily interviewed miners in places like Pennsylvania and West Virginia professed they'd still vote for Trump even though he never brought back the mining jobs he promised

I don't know the priorities or life decisions of these fictional cartoon miners though

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, if you really, really, really want to talk about the politics of an intentionally overly simple Captain Planet style scene in Rick and Morty... the tiny amount of remaining real miners and the shitload of people in the War on Coal culture suck because no one actually likes coal jobs. They sucked (and still generally suck), but they represented a good wage for a job that could train you onsite and let you stay close to home.

Now guess how most of those people vote when it comes to a social safety net or a higher minimum wage or anything that might break the hell cycle? Or whether our system can even address the issues it faces? Now imagine you're the living spirit of the planet who's been exposed to 30-ish years of political bullshit in the span of, let's say a week. Congrats. That's the plot and why she was losing her poo poo.

That said, as I've been thinking about the episode, I kind of wish they would have left out the age difference issue. Other than the joke about her "having kids" and acknowledging that she was a 90s superhero, it didn't really matter and kind of made the whole thing more murky and icky than it had to be. Probably should have just said that she was a relatively new hero that the Kids cooked up to sell merch after Captain Planet retired (or "was retired").

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.
People are missing the real political message of this episode. I thought it was obvious, personally, but here's what the episode is about :

Planetina has an iPhone. It's what she uses to text Morty, and it's briefly visible in a couple scenes. And we know from logic that if you have an iPhone, you cannot complain about... well, a variety of things. Capitalism, poor labor conditions, and - yes - the environment.

Planetina is a hypocrite.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Two Inch Bee posted:

People are missing the real political message of this episode. I thought it was obvious, personally, but here's what the episode is about :

Planetina has an iPhone. It's what she uses to text Morty, and it's briefly visible in a couple scenes. And we know from logic that if you have an iPhone, you cannot complain about... well, a variety of things. Capitalism, poor labor conditions, and - yes - the environment.

Planetina is a hypocrite.

holy poo poo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Planetina should show up again a season from now as a burnt out climate doomer. She doesn't even bother to burn oil executives anymore, because they're going to burn anyways.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
all these interpretations are what makes the character so interesting to me, parody status notwithstanding
Planetina best character 2021?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
What's really bugging me is that the Wheeler and Linka stand ins had their appropriate elements, but Gi and Kwame's were swapped.

Sjs00 posted:

Planetina best character 2021?
Hell yeah. I'm jealous that Morty got to smash.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“In a perfect world, poor miner’s would just commit suicide” is easily the worst and most offensive take we’ve ever had in the thread and that poster is a dogshit idiot for suggesting such a gruesome thing.

“Why don’t rural Appalachians and Middle-Americans just stop mining and logging and fracking?” is such a stupid question ON IT’S FACE that there’s no point in even engaging with it.

I happen to believe that if Planetina kept making examples of high level Nestle executives, roasting them alive in their Teslas or whatever, you probably would see a much faster change towards green futures than if you started murdering politicians. Like that coal magnate that sued Jon Oliver until HBO couldn’t afford to keep going with the lawsuit. Direct, violent action against the corpo elites who fund lobbying efforts would actually make a real meaningful change, if those cowards actually thought their lives were endangered, and she can circumvent the political system that protects them with money by bypassing it entirely and just exacting eco-justice.

Planetina killing the drones and not the queen Bee strikes me as a “Black Panther Re-Write” scenario where focus groups all agree with Killmonger so they had to make him more cartoonishly evil to read as a bad guy.