Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I bought an oyster shroom log but it hasn't done anything since I soaked it and put it outside a couple months ago.

I put oysters, lions manes, and shiitakes outside into maple logs from my big Boi maple that had to get trimmed for safety reasons. I also am doing an indoor in my basement grow area filled with tomatoes peppers and trying to sprout local berry seeds along with grain spawn oysters and some other varieties of mycelium.

I'm really afraid all my mycelium dowels died in the pnw heatwave but I keep watering the logs and hope they produce this winter and into next summer. Don't lose hope. They can't fruit until a sufficient level of colonization and the right temp and moisture levels.

Typing this all out makes me realize that my hobbies like this are probably the only thing keeping me sane. I've spent so much loving time reading about fruiting conditions.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MightyBigMinus posted:

literally all of this could be absurdly better if the brooks brothers riot had failed.
total domestic oil extraction went down under bush and almost doubled under obama

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

just a thought about things

compare to

If serotonin triggers gregarious behavior in locusts, and if antidepressants are being dispersed in the environment ... what comes of that?

my new soyboy general practitioner told me that he would never prescribe me 2 total mg of xanax for twice a year panic attacks but downing an SSRI every day for the rest of my life yep that's fine and actually everyone should probably be on SSRIs

"are you sure you don't want SSRIs"

no just take my blood

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

OK baizuo posted:

Gonna use this as an excuse to post a link to an excellent lecture by Jim White of CU Boulder at the American Geophysical Union 2014 on the subject of "abrupt" climate changes

ABRUPT CLIMATE CHANGE: THE VIEW FROM THE PAST, THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE

Guy was way ahead of the curve
lol

lmao

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

is there a way to invest in almond or walnuts as commodities?

of course there is, you can also hedge them, purchase futures, basically they work like oil. or oranges. or pork bellies. it’s all number.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dreadite posted:

my new soyboy general practitioner told me that he would never prescribe me 2 total mg of xanax for twice a year panic attacks but downing an SSRI every day for the rest of my life yep that's fine and actually everyone should probably be on SSRIs

"are you sure you don't want SSRIs"

no just take my blood

He just wants to stop you from cumming

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He just wants to stop you from cumming

*weeps in 9 different ssris over multiple years*

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

*weeps in 9 different ssris over multiple years*

Tried bupropion yet? :)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

*NDRI. avoid the generics on this one.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I did. Made me angry as hell and I almost punched a guy just for sitting next to me. Had to drop off it quick.

I switched to transcranial magnetic stimulation which is now starting to lose effectiveness as well.

But hey no sexual side effects.

Seriously I don't know why people get all loving weird about this thread. It's not the most depressing thing in the world.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mawarannahr posted:

*NDRI. avoid the generics on this one.

Do tell

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
agriculture was a mistake

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

subjectively: there is a highly noticeable difference with Wellbutrin XL and generic time-release bupropion. normally it gives me some motivation and a lift in mood. generics (often a different maker every month) feel like my heart is beating too hard, don’t have any positive effects on motivation or focus, or don’t seem to work at all. i think it’s a combination of impure or underdosed active ingredient with a poorer/different delivery mechanism compared to the brand name. Bupropion, specifically, has had multiple recalls and incidents of generics that weren’t up to standard for even dosed at all).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xeom posted:

Oblivion is preferable to doom, but we don't know which one we are about to get. Either way our actions before either is what truly saddens, which you seem to agree with me on.
The end of the species is not as unlikely as you seem to think.

It could end us, yes, especially if we use nuclear weapons to fight over what little food remains.

But it's a lot more likely it's just the biggest population bottleneck in recorded history.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

mawarannahr posted:

If serotonin triggers gregarious behavior in locusts, and if antidepressants are being dispersed in the environment ... what comes of that?

the aliens get more bold :ohdear:

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

:finland:

quote:

Exceptional heat takes toll on berries, other crops

An extended period of hot, dry weather is affecting the harvest outlook. Even the wild berry season, which was off to a good start, may be in peril.

A heatwave that has lasted since mid-June has hampered grain growth.

Crops and wild berries are suffering from unusual weather, particularly in Southwest Finland. If the drought persists, the quality of blueberries and cloudberries, which are not yet ripe, may deteriorate.

There are hot, dry areas all over Finland, with significant variations in the weather impact on cultivation, even from one farm to the next.

So far this summer, the amount of rainfall has varied greatly from region to region.

"If you look at the whole of Finland, the situation is by no means bad yet. But there may also be severe crop losses due to drought in certain areas. This won't be a peak harvest year," said Max Schulman, an advisor on cereals, protein crops and oil seeds at the Confederation of Agricultural and Forestry Producers (MTK).

Drought is also affected by soil type and soil growth condition. If conditions are good, the soil retains moisture and supplies it better to the plants.

Many crops were already suffering from heavy spring rains. One of the worst-hit areas is Southwest Finland, where downpours destroyed some crops. Now the re-sowed fields are enduring intense heat, often around 30 degrees Celsius.

"The mood in the grain sector in Southwest Finland is quite gloomy," Schulman told Yle.

Hot weather favours hay, but not broad beans
Hot weather is hard on cereals, for example, but the worst sufferers are protein crops such as peas and broad beans, which have gained popularity in recent years. They cannot withstand long periods of hot, dry weather.

Another affected group is oilseeds such as rapeseed, which have suffered from the exceptional weather.

"This year, those beautifully blooming yellow fields won't be as visible in the Finnish landscape as usual," said Schulman.

For some plants, the early summer weather has been favourable. Grasses cultivated for hay have grown quickly, and the first harvest, now underway in many areas, is bountiful.

Blueberries flourishing so far
Wild berry pollination went well this year, and the drought has not yet affected the growth of blueberries and cloudberries. They are not yet ripe and thus better able to withstand heat than at the flowering stage.

If the drought continues, though, berry size and quality may decrease.

"It would be a pity if the berry season, which was off to a good start, is undermined by drought and heat," said Outi Manninen, Principal Research Scientist at the Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke).

Lingonberries, on the other hand, are still in the flowering stage and therefore more sensitive to drought. According to Manninen, there are plenty of the small red berries, though, so they probably won't be in short supply this year.

Showers likely by mid-week
An ongoing hot period has caused a drought throughout the country, but some partial relief may be in sight. From Wednesday on, the likelihood of rain will increase.

However, any rain will likely be in the form of showers, which may not thoroughly dampen the dry soil.

"Continuous rain is needed to properly irrigate the ground. If that happens, the forest fire alert could be lifted," said meteorologist Jesse Heikkilä of the Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI).

A forest fire warning is in effect throughout the country, with extremely high risk in Southwest Finland, South Ostrobothnia, Päijät-Häme and the Åland Islands.

After Sunday's high of 32 degrees Celsius in Sodankylä, Finnish Lapland, the FMI is also warning of the heat's impact on those with chronic illnesses and of strong afternoon solar radiation, with an UV index of 6 in many parts of the country.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I think humanity's biggest problem is that it's got a very self-centered view of the universe. So I think collectively people assume that no matter what, something will save us because we're the main characters in our own story.

I think scientists actually contributes to this solipsism because they take the view of "if we haven't seen it it doesn't exist". This is obviously opposed to religion's "we don't have to see it to know it's there".

But if we were to combine these two extremes we'd realize that right, we haven't met anyone intelligent life but statistically speaking we can assume it's out there. This would radically reshape our homosapien-centric worldview and might actually push us to solve problems because we will realize that our species can just -die out- and the Universe will keep on trucking.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

silicone thrills posted:

I did. Made me angry as hell and I almost punched a guy just for sitting next to me. Had to drop off it quick.

I switched to transcranial magnetic stimulation which is now starting to lose effectiveness as well.

But hey no sexual side effects.

Seriously I don't know why people get all loving weird about this thread. It's not the most depressing thing in the world.

it's been my experience that "real fuckin' depressed" manifests as a sexual side effect, at least in my case, because then i'm too fuckin' depressed for even the most depressed fuckin'

and you're right, this thread isn't the most depressing thing in the world, that crown rests atop the head of the arctic sea ice forum

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

subjectively: there is a highly noticeable difference with Wellbutrin XL and generic time-release bupropion. normally it gives me some motivation and a lift in mood. generics (often a different maker every month) feel like my heart is beating too hard, don’t have any positive effects on motivation or focus, or don’t seem to work at all. i think it’s a combination of impure or underdosed active ingredient with a poorer/different delivery mechanism compared to the brand name. Bupropion, specifically, has had multiple recalls and incidents of generics that weren’t up to standard for even dosed at all).

thanks for writing this up because I had never considered that my generic bupropion (from Slate Run Pharmaceuticals) might be part of the problem. I am definitely going to try the real deal stuff on my next refill.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mawarannahr posted:

Happy clams.

endlessmonotony posted:

But it's a lot more likely it's just the biggest population bottleneck in recorded history.

According to one study (which I can't be arsed to dig up) our ancestors were down to 35 individuals at one point. As they say in <insert region to be dissed here> "If you're not good enough for your own kin..."

Do not research your family tree if you have a branch from Nova Scotia and are at all squeamish about cousin marriages.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://i.imgur.com/y3prHva.mp4

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Are you sure they didn't need that?

Hexigrammus posted:

Happy clams.
No that literally gets back to the no orgasm thing

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

have kids

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

No

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You say this now but in 20 years you're going to be standing around a fire in an old oil drum and you're going to think to yourself "drat, I miss veal."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hexigrammus posted:

Happy clams.

clams all boiled to death

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You say this now but in 20 years you're going to be standing around a fire in an old oil drum and you're going to think to yourself "drat, I miss veal."

Is that going to be a religious ritual? Not like you'll need the warmth.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we can still fix this, there's still time, think god drat it think what are we missing?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

heads up, some bitch snitched on rime posting that d&d post in their CC thread and the idiot king "will tak to the mods" about it

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

CODChimera posted:

we can still fix this, there's still time, think god drat it think what are we missing?

they're gonna blot out the sun, i mean it's the dumbest possible thing to do so that's what's gonna happen

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Doctor Jeep posted:

heads up, some bitch snitched on rime posting that d&d post in their CC thread and the idiot king "will tak to the mods" about it
it’s D&D, they’ll condemn his actions in the strongest possible terms and maybe implement economic sanctions

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CODChimera posted:

lotta options

1) gmo all the trees into eating more co2 and grow super fast. and crispr the trees to make them immune to fire? then we can burn tree for biomass energy
2) blot out the sun with chalk dust. spacex has some good low orbit rockets we can give elon contracts ot to launch chalk bombs
3) pump ocean water to the antarctic and freeze it and use that to make more ice and put it on glaciers to protect them
4) fusion and tax credits to get everyone to buy an EV made from strip-mining bolivian lithium after we coup
5) put mirrors ontop of all buildings + open land
6) de-urbanize the big cities and put everyone in a single-family dwellings with a garage on 1-acre lots across all the midwest and we can all grow potato, subsistently
7) we strip mine the world's supply of olivine, use hulk to crush it to dust, and use flying carpets to transport it to all beaches and till it in every week for the next 200 years
8) we 3d print wind turbines and put them on everything
9) we wait for earth to naturally cycle back into it's glacier state because earth is cyclical and all this has happened before and will happen again
10) we invite vulcans to come down and whisk us away on teleporters

Xaris has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Jul 6, 2021

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

they're gonna blot out the sun, i mean it's the dumbest possible thing to do so that's what's gonna happen

a world of darkness could be fun

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

CODChimera posted:

Dry ice! We use dry ice to keep the poles cold. We trap carbon and keep the poles from melting at the same time you're welcome I'll take my nobel prize in cash please.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Give the earth mittens for the winter and flip flops for the summer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Have we tried... uh... hmm.

What if we send the planet out into the cold of spa- no that's nothing.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
have we tried finding a thermostat outside and turning it down