Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

I get the divide between lockdown/ease restrictions agruments, but it really baffles me why some people are so anti-mask wearing. It's such a minor thing that probably has a significant benefit yet apparently its now because of endless cluture war, if you wear a mask you're a virtue signalling marxist.

What I'll be interested to see is how many of the virulent anti-maskers "it's destroying your freedom" types will start verbally and physically abusing those who continue to wear masks not allowing them their freedom to choose to continue.

Angel number 146 symbolizes beauty, femininity, family, and love. It sets you apart from almost aesthetic balance and beautiful harmony. You are a person who is motivated with great sensitivity, but also the ability to treat people in a nice way.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I'll be interested to see is how many of the virulent anti-maskers "it's destroying your freedom" types will start verbally and physically abusing those who continue to wear masks not allowing them their freedom to choose to continue.

Angel number 146 symbolizes beauty, femininity, family, and love. It sets you apart from almost aesthetic balance and beautiful harmony. You are a person who is motivated with great sensitivity, but also the ability to treat people in a nice way.

Yeah, that inverted peer pressure is more than likely to build up if you're the only one in a place wearing a mask.

I was chatting with a hairdresser recently and he mentioned they've always been fed up with folk coming in with colds and then infecting the staff. He said it would be great if they retained the authority (socially or legally) to tell someone to put a mask on or gently caress off if a customer brought a disease into the building.

The problem is that it's currently the law that creates that power dynamic or places where the staff outnumber the customers at any one point in time.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Will businesses be allowed to insist on masks being worn on premesis? Similar to... Idk, a dress code in a bar or having to take your shoes off at a swimming pool or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't imagine why they wouldn't but I also can't imagine that they actually would do that when they can all rush to be the first to tell people to do what they want. Businesses are not known for telling people to behave or gently caress off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like any public health measure, it needs to be hooked into a normalization factor for doing it, and also an abnormalization factor for not.

Like with anti-spitting laws for TB, they're no longer needed because people are generally encouraged to have a poor view of spitting everywhere outside the most rural of rural areas. Like with HIV/Aids and condoms it will probably have to be extragovernmental because they're committed to being poo poo and don't care.

It's difficult because we're supposed to be inclusionary and understanding and allowing for difference, but at some point you really just need to treat anti-maskers like someone with their pants down doing a poo poo on your front doorstep.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's a lot of left-wingers on Twitter right now predicting a brand new lockdown come the autumn, which may or may not be correct but I wish they wouldn't sound quite so drat gleeful at the prospect. It turns it into another culture war issue where they cheerfully dance into the roles that the Tories have prepared for them.

I've got some bad news for you chief: poo poo turned into a "culture war" on day 1 when the government decided that profits were more important than lives. Or to be more accurate, continued to believe rather than suddenly decided. Everything in politics turning into "culture war" has just become a new way to describe partisan politics.

Also don't really know whose tweets you're reading but despite being on the doomer side of things (lol, I was such a massive pessimist that last March I was saying "we'll probably be in long down until the end of the school holidays", people thought I was mad, turns out I was but only in underestimating how badly the Tories would gently caress it up) I take no glee in being right. Coz it means people die who wouldn't otherwise. Preventable deaths & it sure as poo poo isn't people Boris went to school with dying because they can't get a hospital bed. I wanted to be wrong, but I wanted to be wrong & the government to have been overly cautious. Instead I'm right & the government are blasé about 15,000 additional deaths a year & it's loving horrific.

Anyway, on the more good news front

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1411973605609574401?s=20

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1412062668186345473?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Davis using up his other being right token early.

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/1412011563364589568

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Perfect Element posted:

Will businesses be allowed to insist on masks being worn on premesis? Similar to... Idk, a dress code in a bar or having to take your shoes off at a swimming pool or whatever.

Probably but then your only going to end up with your business being surrounded by mobs of these cunts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/rewearmouth/status/1411597152997068801?s=21

Imagine being a shadow chancellor who studied economics for an MSc but admitting you haven’t read one of the most important texts in economic theory. Presumably either a liar, or afraid of what she might learn.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm probably weird (no, don't answer that) but I downloaded the updated 2018-19 tax tables (latest year available) which I find interesting to ponder:

Note: Only those with big enough incomes to pay income tax are included. So incomes below £11850 (18/19 tax year) and those paying themselves a tiny salary but taking a big dividend - I'm guessing there aren't that many of those in the scale of things - are not included.

Median before tax salary for 2018/19 is just £25k (and pay has not exactly gone up much since then especially at the lower end) - am sure this is a revision downwards from last time I checked these tables out.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

I've got some bad news for you chief: poo poo turned into a "culture war" on day 1 when the government decided that profits were more important than lives. Or to be more accurate, continued to believe rather than suddenly decided. Everything in politics turning into "culture war" has just become a new way to describe partisan politics.

Also don't really know whose tweets you're reading but despite being on the doomer side of things (lol, I was such a massive pessimist that last March I was saying "we'll probably be in long down until the end of the school holidays", people thought I was mad, turns out I was but only in underestimating how badly the Tories would gently caress it up) I take no glee in being right. Coz it means people die who wouldn't otherwise. Preventable deaths & it sure as poo poo isn't people Boris went to school with dying because they can't get a hospital bed. I wanted to be wrong, but I wanted to be wrong & the government to have been overly cautious. Instead I'm right & the government are blasé about 15,000 additional deaths a year & it's loving horrific.

Anyway, on the more good news front

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1411973605609574401?s=20

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1412062668186345473?s=20

They'll accept the 15000 extra deaths no problem but if the virus significantly breaks through the vaccine they're hosed. It's like how they said they'd never lockdown again and nearly blew up the hospitals. They have a problem with material reality. All the people who don't care about the virus ultimately do. Because unlike a lot of things where they can talk poo poo and get away with it, if they keep on this route the virus is going to kick down their door and kill them. The plan for the rest of us now becomes surviving until the dust has settled.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Median before tax salary for 2018/19 is just £25k (and pay has not exactly gone up much since then especially at the lower end) - am sure this is a revision downwards from last time I checked these tables out.
Ah but are you accounting for the new digital HMRC tax policy?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can fully believe that this government would take payments in iTunes gift cards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

These days you get put under the rest and throne hinge ale if you say yaw in glitch.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Here is my big project! ...I've been doing a lot of these tiny house kits. Absorbs me for ages in the evenings. I do get glue everywhere but that's one of the hazards of being clumsy in general.

That is a lovely build.

If anyone is interested in these things but is worried about building, there are hours of videos on YouTube of people putting them together.

Very ASMR.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ah but are you accounting for the new digital HMRC tax policy?

I got one of those tax demands - unfortunately my main phone is a Nokia 105 and doesn't do posh stuff like go on the internet so I was unable to follow the link. :cry:

Am sure HMRC will be after me for not buying an iTunes card. After all, they still haven't issued my employer with my tax code* after over 3 months and thank god I have alternative funds because if I had no other savings paying 20% tax on a gross monthly income of just over £400 would be killing me.

*I chased them about 3 weeks ago and they sent me a code but they haven't notified my employer who needs it from them apparently because a copy of my letter won't do.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm probably weird (no, don't answer that) but I downloaded the updated 2018-19 tax tables (latest year available) which I find interesting to ponder:

The differences between the median and the mean in those charts are pretty telling: the means show pretty good average salaries; the medians indicate that much of that is due to a relatively small number of people earning very high salaries and pulling the average up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

They'll accept the 15000 extra deaths no problem but if the virus significantly breaks through the vaccine they're hosed. It's like how they said they'd never lockdown again and nearly blew up the hospitals. They have a problem with material reality. All the people who don't care about the virus ultimately do. Because unlike a lot of things where they can talk poo poo and get away with it, if they keep on this route the virus is going to kick down their door and kill them. The plan for the rest of us now becomes surviving until the dust has settled.

In the ensuing famine resulting from brexit - unharvested crops, failing food distribution chains, if you cook someone who dies from it does it kill the virus so it would be safe to eat them - with fava beans and a nice chianti perhaps?
In which case carry on anti-maskers!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The kuru fights the covid so it's fine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The kuru fights the covid so it's fine.

If you're worried about Kuru you need to take the Prince Andrew route of selecting your dinner.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Order a pizza and molest children instead of eating it?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

with fava beans and a nice chianti perhaps?
That does depend on what medication you're on.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Noxville posted:

Imagine being a shadow chancellor who studied economics for an MSc but admitting you haven’t read one of the most important texts in economic theory. Presumably either a liar, or afraid of what she might learn.

MSc conversions (if that's what she's done) are basically a sham, you can't do as much as an undergrad + masters in a single year, regardless of which other degrees you already have.

They're still a good and useful tool for people wanting to change careers, but that's mostly because academia doesn't matter after uni.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Welsh govt to tackle second homes crisis:

https://gov.wales/welsh-government-announces-three-pronged-approach-address-second-homes-crisis

quote:

PRESS RELEASE
Welsh Government announces three-pronged approach to address “second homes crisis”
In the Senedd later today, Minister for Climate Change Julie James will set out an “ambitious three-pronged approach” to address the impact of second home ownership on Wales’ communities.

The new plan has fairness at its heart, ensuring that everyone in Wales can have access to good quality, affordable housing.

The three-pronged approach will focus on:

support - addressing affordability and availability of housing,
regulatory framework and system - covering planning law and the introduction of a statutory registration scheme for holiday accommodation; and
a fairer contribution - using national and local taxation systems to ensure second home owners make a fair and effective contribution to the communities in which they buy.
There will also be a pilot area in Wales, to be decided over the summer, where these new measures will be trialled and evaluated before being considered for wider rollout.

Other supporting actions, including the work on a registration scheme for all holiday accommodation and a consultation on changes to local taxes to manage the impact of second homes and self-catered accommodation, will also begin over the summer.

A Welsh Language Community Housing Plan, to protect the particular interests of Welsh language communities, will be published for consultation in the autumn.

Last year, Wales became the only country in the UK to give local authorities the power to charge 100% council tax increase on second homes.

Visiting a housing development in picture-postcard St Davids, West Wales, the Minister met with members of the local community, Pembrokeshire Council and the Community Land Trust to hear how they have been working together to use money raised from the council tax levy to build 18 new affordable homes for local people.

Speaking from St David’s, Minister for Climate Change, who is responsible for housing, Julie James said:

Meeting with Rachel, Josh from the Community Land Trust, Pembrokeshire Council, and the developers ateb today, has demonstrated how community action and good government policy can work together to bring fairness back into our housing market.

The continuing rise of house prices mean people, especially younger generations, can no longer afford to live in the communities they have grown up in. A high concentration of second homes or holiday lets can have a very detrimental impact on small communities, and in some areas could compromise the Welsh language being spoken at a community level.

We have already taken strides on some of these issues - last year we became the only nation in the UK to give local authorities the power to introduce a 100% council tax levy on second homes. But the urgency and gravity of this situation calls for further intervention, which means real and ambitious actions are delivered at pace, to inject fairness back into the housing system.

Taking recommendations from Dr Brooks’ report, our new three-pronged approach will kick-start a summer of action which will determine how we tackle this issue now and into the future. I am calling on all political parties across the Senedd to get involved in this, as we look to empower our communities to exercise their right to live in good quality homes, wherever they are in Wales.

Josh Phillips, 33, pub landlord at Harbourside Inn in Solva and chair of the Community Land Trust said:

The current housing market in Pembrokeshire is at an all-time high with properties locally being snapped up for well above asking prices. The Solva community Land Trust is a pioneer development for community led housing in Wales and hopes to deliver 18 properties locally within the next 3 years. Our vision is to create housing that is affordable and environmentally low impact, helping to stem the tide of young people having to relocate and draining our community of their energy and talents.

It is a privilege to be able to meet Minister Julie James to show her our project and have her support. Although Solva CLT is a fledgling project, significant work has been undertaken and we are well on our way to beginning the development in the coming months through our partnership with ateb and Pembrokeshire county council. Our utilization of second homes taxations means the project is the first step in delivering community led housing in the county

Rachel Kelway-Lewis, 25, from Solva, Pembrokeshire said:

Since the pandemic and the increase in home working, more people are looking for property here, with some houses going for over £500,000 and selling extremely quickly. Some of these houses will be vacant for much of the year, or are used as air bnbs rather than renting to locals, increasing rent prices for us, too.

All of my friends are experiencing the same issues. We’re working full time but we can’t buy or even rent in the local area, unless we’re lucky enough to have financial help from our parents. Lots of my friends have had to move away to get on the housing ladder.

We need opportunities for young people like me to remain within our community and contribute to our local economy – so it’s great to be heard by the Minister and know she is doing something to help us out and tackle the issue of second homes, which is creating a demand us locals simply cannot currently compete with.

Over the summer Welsh Government will work to:

Work with stakeholders to agree the basis and location or locations for an evaluated pilot;
Develop a coherent and effective support package to trial within the pilot;
Frame a statutory registration scheme for all tourist accommodation and continue to engage with stakeholders on the shape of the model we will implement, including both the registration and inspection arrangements;
Consult on possible changes to local taxes to support local authorities manage the impact of second homes and self-catered accommodation; and
Establish a draft Welsh Language Communities Housing Plan for consultation in the autumn.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

I mean it's 150+ years old. I doubt she's read The Wealth of Nations or Principles of Political Economy and Taxation. As far as the the study of economics in the late '90s that's ancient history & Economic History is its own course.

University Economics departments tend to not be full of people with ideas outside of the orthodox.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile, in Nonce land:

https://twitter.com/JamesMarchment/status/1412214799740674050?s=20

https://twitter.com/noncefinance/status/1412079348861923328?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Has she at least read Atlas Shrugged?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine that the "economics" covered is just a million ways to say markets good and rich people wonderful.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It really feels like they either knew exactly what they were doing or they're loving these headlines.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1412312800828051456

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

stev posted:

It really feels like they either knew exactly what they were doing or they're loving these headlines.

There was an explanation somewhere - they're from the Far East or something and had absolutely no idea of the British meaning of the word (and failed to google it). I guess there's not a lot they can do about the name now, probably very costly to change it, and I guess their target customers understand their meaning of the word!

It's amazing how many do not google* proposed company/website names etc.
I am in a FB group for people setting up very small businesses, and the number of them proposing names that even the swiftest of googles would show are either already in use or have undesirable assocations is amazing. I've posted comments such as 'I'd google that if I were you' several times.

*other search engines are available.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.electricradiatorsdirect.co.uk/news/how-to-replace-storage-heaters-with-wall-mounted-electric-radiators/

has useful info on what needs doing to remove them and cost. (Also, the asbestos position).
Cheers — can’t say I’m excited about the prospect of paying £500–£1000 just for the removal, this might be a job that waits for a bit

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Thinking of launching a step tracking app called Pedophiles Only. Hope its a success.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

The differences between the median and the mean in those charts are pretty telling: the means show pretty good average salaries; the medians indicate that much of that is due to a relatively small number of people earning very high salaries and pulling the average up.

There's another table in here with the percentile points if you want to look more in depth at that. It's in .ods (open souce) format if you download it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax-1992-to-2011

(Despite the heading it does go up to 2018/19).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I guess their target customers understand their meaning of the word!
Yes, it is a cryptocurrency company.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There was an explanation somewhere - they're from the Far East or something and had absolutely no idea of the British meaning of the word (and failed to google it). I guess there's not a lot they can do about the name now, probably very costly to change it, and I guess their target customers understand their meaning of the word!

Most of their customers being on the fiddle.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

stev posted:

I expect it's the latter, the majority of their clientele is going to be non-British so after being a figure of fun on Twitter for a day, nobody they care about is going to give a poo poo, but lots of people will have heard the name and at most will be like "oh, it's that company who's name was funny to british people". The name makes "sense" for a cryptocurrency company, a nonce in cryptography is an arbitrary number used only once, which is an important feature of how cryptocurrency mining works. Nonce in this sense derives from "nonce words", which are arbitrary made up words used once, which in turn derives from the old idiomatic phrase "for the nonce" meaning "for now".

I don't think anyone's really certain where nonce as a slang term for pedophilia comes from (it's definitely not an acronym), but the most plausible explanation in my view is that it's derived from "nancy [boy]", due to historical homophobia equating gay men and pedophilia.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shyrka posted:

I don't have metered water, but I think there's some kind of connection on the street under a metal plate that can be shut off? But that'd do so for all the other flats too.

I'm pretty hosed if there's a leak, like even if that stopcock does work it's physically impossible for me to turn so I can't do anything with it. And it's clearly aimed at the kitchen sink so even if I turned that it wouldn't help if there was a problem in the bathroom right?

This feeling of being completely out of my depth and clueless does not help the anxiety that comes with calling out a plumber.

Yeah that probably shuts off water to the whole building. The pipe with the stopcock (which would be your shutoff) should have a split after to take water upstairs, look for any boxing in the corner of the kitchen for likely locations for it.

Of course if the stopcock is completely inaccessible you can't do much but you could get a new one fitted in a better location, you would have to have the whole supply shut off for a short while though.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also sometimes if your plumbing fucks up the first you know about it is when your circuit breakers go pop.

Yeah that's another late night leak bonus: the electrics will trip and you'll have to try and stop it/deal with it in the dark!

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
For what is undoubtedly a terrible crime, nonce is such a pleasant sounding word.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So princess kate has been double vaccinated apparently even though she only got her first one on the 28th of May. That seems awfully quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine that the "economics" covered is just a million ways to say markets good and rich people wonderful.

Bingo. Well, honestly it seems more like just taking morality out of it entirely & making it all very bloodless & "rational".

Because I'm a loving sad case (& not because I'm looking for any excuse to put off cutting the grass by another 30 minutes, honest) I went on the Cambridge website because they are quite good at giving you lists of what you'd be expected to read on a course. I can see across everything listed for the Economics BSc 1 chapter of Capital Vol.1 (on a course about the History & Philosophy of Economics), & then one course in sociology has the Paris Manuscripts, German Ideology, the Manifesto & Grunrisse & another in Politics that has a couple of previously mentioned plus 18th Brumaire & The Civil War in France.

So like, you could read Marx but if you're sticking to courses on Micro & Macroeconomics & econometrics & not really engaging with the theory & the messy stuff, because Economists like to kid on that they are scientists & there's only one truth & look at these LAWS OF ECONOMICS drat you. I remember after the financial crisis a bunch of students got really narked off that their lectures basically ignored everything that was the cause of the crash & just kept on with the same stuff they taught before: meanwhile the world outside the ivory towers was crumbling. So they ended up starting a reading club when their lecturers wouldn't adapt their courses to reality. And really little has changed. It's an insular, narrow field.

Rachel Reeves should have read some Marx because she's a politician & a Labour politician at that & that lack of intellectual curiosity is telling. But it is totally unsurprising to me that she didn't have to during years studying Economics because that's not how the field works academically. Someone might briefly acknowledge that heterodox economic theories exist but it'll be barely more than that, that's not what you're studying Economics for!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So princess kate has been double vaccinated apparently even though she only got her first one on the 28th of May. That seems awfully quick.

Wow, can't believe the monarchy gets privilege! This is unprecedented!