Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So princess kate has been double vaccinated apparently even though she only got her first one on the 28th of May. That seems awfully quick.

She's been reading reddit and driving around North London finding pharmacies that will do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009
Just dropping in to mention a house nearby has started flying the county council flag alongside their permanent union jack. Standard stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope they're doing it in the proper order of precedent, union, then nation/region, then county, then your own house flag that you made, it's very nice.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
UK county councils have flags?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/rewearmouth/status/1411597152997068801?s=21

Imagine being a shadow chancellor who studied economics for an MSc but admitting you haven’t read one of the most important texts in economic theory. Presumably either a liar, or afraid of what she might learn.

PPE students are taught wrong, as a joke

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It seems like individually, Politics, Philosophy, and Economics would be a good academic grounding to work in government. Why is it when you mash them all into one course it churns out absolute fuds?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

UK county councils have flags?

Not as a rule, but counties do.

https://britishcountyflags.com/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

It seems like individually, Politics, Philosophy, and Economics would be a good academic grounding to work in government. Why is it when you mash them all into one course it churns out absolute fuds?

You're familiar with what Alexander Pope had to say about 'a little learning', yes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao the state of our musicians

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Because the way those things are actually taught in practice has been specifically designed so the most worthless failchildren of the aristocracy can pass.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Part of it is probably a self-fulfilling thing: because it's seen as the gateway degree to the establishment it attracts fuds at a high proportion.

Also it's pretty broad but shallow. Nobody is coming out of the PPE as an expert in Politics, Philosophy or Economics

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

Not as a rule, but counties do.

https://britishcountyflags.com/
Unsurprisingly all the English flags are lame as hell.

Brecknockshire in Wales, however:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Batcockshire

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

WhatEvil posted:

My brother was looking for someone to repaint his wooden windows on his house a few years back - he bought the house from new and he'd had it ~5 years and that's the point they generally need a light sand down and a new coat of paint. Can't remember how many windows he's got but I'd guess about 15, nothing too special. Obviously some of them are on the 2nd floor etc.

Anyway this one guy came out and gave him a quote of 5 grand. Now you could almost certainly buy new windows for 10 grand, so obviously this was a massive piss take. Should really be doable for about a grand, if not less. Anyway my brother basically tells the bloke "why would you even bother giving me a price like that? If you don't want to do the job just say." and the guy fucks off. My brother does a bit of research on the guy and it turns out that as well as running a home maintenance business, he offers "business coaching". He finds a vid by the guy on YouTube where he's (in not so many words) basically just saying "Yeah, start a business, quote the customers shitloads of cash and there are enough stupid people out there to just say 'OK'", and that's the whole extent of his business coaching. Once I realised that this guy existed and was giving his business advice to others out there, a lot of things started to make sense about these kinds of tradespeople. Obviously this one guy didn't have all that much reach but nevertheless his philosophy of "charge ridiculous prices and fleece people who don't know better" is ubiquitous.

This comes up a lot in the home networking thread (which is US-centric of course), where people want a small amount of Cat 5/6 running in their "drywall" and "crawl space", but get gently caress-you quotes back from electricians - but in that case it's more because it's a fiddly little job they don't really want to do, so they either put the customer off or get a big pay day, win-win. Using it as your entire business model seems ultra-scummy.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Part of it is probably a self-fulfilling thing: because it's seen as the gateway degree to the establishment it attracts fuds at a high proportion.

Also it's pretty broad but shallow. Nobody is coming out of the PPE as an expert in Politics, Philosophy or Economics

Nobody is coming out of an undergrad in any one of those subjects as an expert either, to be fair. That's not what undergrads are supposed to be about. But yeah, PPE is very much a 'I want to work in government' degree for a lot of people so it obviously attracts absolute weapons. In my experience philosophy deptartments are staffed mostly by leftists, economics and politics by liberals at best, so no wonder PPE students turn out the way they do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Nobody is coming out of an undergrad in any one of those subjects as an expert either, to be fair. That's not what undergrads are supposed to be about.

Fair point, what I was trying to say was they'd have less expertise than someone studying exclusively any of the constituent parts. It's a degree for the ambitious rather than the inquisitive and I don't trust or understand ambitious people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sutherland's flag is very geometrically pleasing but also looks a tiny bit too much like one of those "no it's not got any of the banned symbols on so we're allowed to march around with it" flags German fash like.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So princess kate has been double vaccinated apparently even though she only got her first one on the 28th of May. That seems awfully quick.

Not that quick tbh. Think I had mine 1 week before that and can get the second one at the end of next week.

If you go through https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/ you can book through there without having to wait for your gp.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
A Tory MP has had to apologize after making fun on loyalist bonfires and flag noncing. It's a real Shane because I think this country would be much better if it was widely publicised how weird Northern Irish unionists are.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what you would more likely end up with is thumb-headed english people importing the dances of the loyalist people

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they're much the same thing, after all

do take care to distinguish NI unionists from loyalists though, many unionists find the whole thing mortifying

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

No one's coming out of an undergrad degree or really any degree as an expert in anything (shut up PhDs that applies to you as well) but extra lols at how thinly you'd have to spread 3 subjects.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I do kind of want to see a couple of EDL types attempting to tie a tablecloth they painted sectarian slogans on to a pile of pallets they nicked from a builders' yard and loving up repeatedly.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tell me about it man, I've got the quote for the timber, but I'm not gonna wait another year of having no deck to save a couple hundred quid max, the thing is probably only gonna be there 10 years tops. And that's presupposing that materials costs return to pre-hosed levels in the next year, which is far from certain

I bought 2x4s to frame the walls of my shed, but I got it for a pretty good price, given the current situation. Holding off on the rest for now though. 1.7€ per meter for 2x4s of the type where one edge is live, cheaper and good enough for framing a shed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also republicans in NI do the bonfire thing in august to mark the anniversity of internment :eng101:

and they have marches, but the uniforms are much less colourful

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I bought 2x4s to frame the walls of my shed, but I got it for a pretty good price, given the current situation. Holding off on the rest for now though. 1.7€ per meter for 2x4s of the type where one edge is live, cheaper and good enough for framing a shed.

How long do you expect to get out of wooden decking where you are? I ultimately decided it would get trashed pretty quickly and went with stone which is obviously $ but hopefully permanent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It looks to me like Ashcroft is pissed that the government are using his audience as a Petri dish to see how many of them they can kill, so I'm failing to see what your problem is here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

It really feels like they either knew exactly what they were doing or they're loving these headlines.

If they cared about associating with pedos they wouldn't be a cryptocurrency firm in the first place.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jedit posted:

It looks to me like Ashcroft is pissed that the government are using his audience as a Petri dish to see how many of them they can kill, so I'm failing to see what your problem is here.

Ashcroft posted:

I had informed my agent months ago I wouldn’t be playing concerts with restrictions.

Graun posted:

He received praise from former Stone Roses frontman Ian Brown, who said it was “a solid decision and a great statement, Comrade”. Brown has vociferously opposed vaccination and lockdowns, including in his song Little Seed Big Tree where he sang of: “A forced vaccine, like a bad dream / They’ll plant a microchip, every woman, child and man”.
Sounds like his problem isn't with killing the audience, but with counting the dead (unfortunately)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I had informed my agent months ago I wouldn’t be playing concerts with restrictions." and Ian Brown jumping on board implies that the bit he most objects to is requiring a negative test to enter, not any of the rest.

e: ^^ yes, that

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jedit posted:

“ I had informed my agent months ago I wouldn’t be playing concerts with restrictions” and being congratulated by Ian Brown would beg to differ

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Richard Ashcroft and Ian Brown are dumb.

What is Liam Gallacher's stance on Covid restrictions (probably better than you expect).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

Sounds like his problem isn't with killing the audience, but with counting the dead (unfortunately)

He doesn't want to be reminded of his career, then?

Sorry Guava, I only got as far as the first para and it seemed to be saying the opposite of what you were.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

Bingo. Well, honestly it seems more like just taking morality out of it entirely & making it all very bloodless & "rational".

Because I'm a loving sad case (& not because I'm looking for any excuse to put off cutting the grass by another 30 minutes, honest) I went on the Cambridge website because they are quite good at giving you lists of what you'd be expected to read on a course. I can see across everything listed for the Economics BSc 1 chapter of Capital Vol.1 (on a course about the History & Philosophy of Economics), & then one course in sociology has the Paris Manuscripts, German Ideology, the Manifesto & Grunrisse & another in Politics that has a couple of previously mentioned plus 18th Brumaire & The Civil War in France.

So like, you could read Marx but if you're sticking to courses on Micro & Macroeconomics & econometrics & not really engaging with the theory & the messy stuff, because Economists like to kid on that they are scientists & there's only one truth & look at these LAWS OF ECONOMICS drat you. I remember after the financial crisis a bunch of students got really narked off that their lectures basically ignored everything that was the cause of the crash & just kept on with the same stuff they taught before: meanwhile the world outside the ivory towers was crumbling. So they ended up starting a reading club when their lecturers wouldn't adapt their courses to reality. And really little has changed. It's an insular, narrow field.

Rachel Reeves should have read some Marx because she's a politician & a Labour politician at that & that lack of intellectual curiosity is telling. But it is totally unsurprising to me that she didn't have to during years studying Economics because that's not how the field works academically. Someone might briefly acknowledge that heterodox economic theories exist but it'll be barely more than that, that's not what you're studying Economics for!

A fun chapter heading in some (actually pretty good) notes:

(sadly less fun in text, click to embiggen)

Realtalk: reading an author is not tantamount to agreeing with it (and indeed a good introductory course and textbook should cover enough schools so that a student has a good sense of the 'lay of the land', so to speak). If encountering a new thinker makes one fall to one's knees in Damascene enlightenment, that is a very good reason to look for a literature review and set it in perspective. That's a good principle outside theory too really.

However, undergraduate econ is normally not tuned with the expectation that the student goes onto graduate econ (unless one is at a really serious course). The ideal economics graduate student reads maths; undergraduate economics demonstrates neither interest nor skills useful at a higher level, since it changes so much. So even 'introductory' gets clipped back sharply. It's not even close to 'real' orthodox econ, it won't have time for 'real' heterodox econ either. One can always audit a few interesting modules, of course, to arguably the same level of depth at the end.

(a good off-time approach to heterodox econ publications is to read other heterodox authors and see what they actually focus on within the school. It's v typical for a heterodox school to hype up its historic disputes - e.g., post-Keynesians really love the Cambridge capital controversy, because Robinson and Sraffa and Samuelson were in the mêlée - but one can flip open a few copies of the Journal of Post Keynesian Economics and readily note that there's nothing very much in active research that draws upon it. Proving too much is a very common weakness. In a modern age nothing stops those without an Athens login from just accessing a generous world of preprints)

Anyway I am skeptical on the supposed political role of economists (even heterodox ones) - Piketty is a rockstar in France, and the virtues of l'économie américaine are not given much media respect, and yet.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Javid posted:

Asked about his own future mask use, Javid told Today he would “carry a mask with me for the foreseeable future” and wear it in crowded and enclosed spaces. However, he said he would choose to not do so even if it was recommended if the space concerned was not crowded.

Excellent. We have a Health Secretary that says that he would ignore mask recommendations in some circumstances. Really does feel like the Hancock video was released to get rid as he wasn't as aggressive as Javid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1412183319979175940

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goons posted:

economics, orthodoxy
An annoying thing about social sciences is that the orthodoxy is almost always wrong, everybody knows it, but you just sort of go along with it anyway because ~it's the orthodoxy~. Like you'll be at a conference full of scholars, and everyone departs from the orthodoxy to some extent because it's obviously wrong, but it's always the starting point, and you have to completely justify each step you take away from it (not least because, whilst almost everyone agrees that the orthodoxy is wrong, they don't necessarily agree on how & in which direction). Was talking about this recently with some colleagues from various disciplines, & loving hell is it egregious in some of them (looking at you critical terrorism studies, like at what point can you just start presuming that Prevent is bad & racist rather than justifying it from first principles literally every single time (e: oh lol that's right "never" I forgot where your funding comes from)).

I think a lot of the time the orthodoxy is like the absolute median viewpoint, in that yes it's the most kind of "common ground" starting presumption, but literally nobody actually agrees with it because nobody is "average", that's just not how averages work.

(hopefully this makes sense in context & I'm not shouting at clouds, had my second vaccine on Sunday & feel alright but jfc my brain just will not function today)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

critical terrorism studies
This sounds like something that Ted Cruz would make up to be angry about and then within a month the Spectator and Express are all shouting about it as if it's a thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

knox_harrington posted:

How long do you expect to get out of wooden decking where you are? I ultimately decided it would get trashed pretty quickly and went with stone which is obviously $ but hopefully permanent.

Our deck is 6-7 years old now and I figure it'll get at least double that. The actual frame will probably last much longer than the boards. I think the deck at my parents house must be 20+ years old, maybe 30. Has been painted a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

You can drop one of the three at the end of the first year; given 'a year' is actually 3x 8 week teaching periods (split between three subjects) you can have someone tooling around the highest offices of the land banging on about their 'economics background' but who fundamentally has about 8 weeks actual taught education in the subject.

If you break that down further as circa 40 days or 320hours it's not improbable to say that they've likely devoted more of their life to brushing their teeth.

It does what it's designed to do very well, provide bluffers with just enough patter to be convincing to the non-specialist.