Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It depends on if render scale measures percentage of pixels or percentage of lines. I don’t know how that slider operates.

If it’s overall area/pixels, then yeah, it’s 25%, which means 40% of 4K is a drat lot of pixels.

edit: this is a lovely new page, so check out this yak https://secure.simmarket.com/nemeth-designs-yakovlev-yak-18t-msfs.phtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Render scale is measured in terms of lines. 40% of 4k is 1536 x 864.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't 1080p 25% of 4K?

Yes, of course, but in this game it’s percentage of the width and height pixel values.

Edit: I need to stop posting from my phone

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
beaten lmao

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm kind of melting into the sim right now. I start my weekend days by bringing an airbus into cruise. Then I set my watch and get back for the descent, more or less letting the sim dictate my timetables. Send help

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I think I finally got my MSFS 2020 CTD issues under control. It appeared to be somewhat connected to the AMD Adrenaline software/drivers (go figure) and their "automatic" settings. I switched it over to manual control with a slight overlock and slight undervolt and the CTD's without error messages have disappeared.

I still get the very occasional stutter where things drop to 1 FPS for a few seconds but things then catch back up.

Overall performance seems to be decent/stable. I'm at 1440p, Ultra settings and getting 30ish in major cities and 50+ at cruise or non-urban areas. Currently doing a flight in the WT CJ4, I'm at FL400 over Texas at 45-55 FPS. The biggest thing for me though is that it doesn't CTD.

For reference, R5 3600, 6800XT, 32 GB of DDR4-3600.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Considering that the context of this update is performance improvements for the XBox release, I expect that the 40% / 864p figure will be the render target for "4k 60fps" on the console.

lmao, of course, but "4k gaming" is only marginally a thing on computers today so no poo poo a console isn't going to be able to pull it off for real.

look at those gorgeous 4k menus though!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

JayKay posted:

I just hope it fixes my CTD issues that have crept up over the past few months. It's gotten bad enough that I've been flying more in XP11 .
Was going to reply that I think you really need to dig further into your system than blame the sim as it's been super reliable. I have had crashes/freezes literally 2, maybe 3x in the entire time I owned it.

Glad to see you may have tracked down your issue :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just played for the first time in a few weeks which also installed the update. Did the landing challenge (caravan in Iceland) and noticed the yoke seems to be reversed - if I bank to the left, the aircraft indeed rolls left, but the yoke displays right.

Is that a known issue?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's a known issue in that you spawn with the autopilot on for some strange reason (so it will fight you). Turn off the AP.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

huh, never thought of AP. Didn't feel like it was fighting me though :shrug:

I'll take a better look next time and see if it was indeed engaged. Thanks :)

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This guy basically had MSFS2020, 12 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox63gPujdS8

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

This guy basically had MSFS2020, 12 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox63gPujdS8

You have also been able to make XPlane look pretty nice with the huge free photo textures. But the real game changer for me with MSFS has been the clouds. For the first time in simming I actually look forward to flying into clouds because there are often really cool formations and pillars and what have you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Really, out of the box it's amazing without any 3rd party add-ons.

It plays "decently" on mediocre hardware. Back in the day it was not rare to be in a scenario when no contemporary hardware could run any cutting edge sim well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lobsterminator posted:

You have also been able to make XPlane look pretty nice with the huge free photo textures. But the real game changer for me with MSFS has been the clouds. For the first time in simming I actually look forward to flying into clouds because there are often really cool formations and pillars and what have you.

I just did a WW2 nostalgia flight in New Guinea from Kokoda to Port Moresby over the Owen Stanley Mountains. The cloud level was about 500 feet below ridge line level with some open patches that looked amazing. My hat's off to the poor bastards who had to fight their way over that route on foot.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been having a blast with the DC-6. I didn't even think I would.

The Flight Engineer is basically mandatory since whenever I have throttle control, I usually end up killing at least one of my engines because surprise, radials require care when used and not just flicking the throttle around like an F/A-18. My takeoffs are getting better, my descents are getting less suicidal (esp since I found out you're supposed to control speed with drag not power), now I just need to plan better (at all) so I'm not doing orbits to line up the runway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’m enjoying it, too. The AFE really is clever.

And yeah, my usual technique of cruising along until I realize I’m over the airport and divebombing it isn’t really feasible with the DC-6.

My only real complaint about it is that when you turn up the time compression with the AP on, it porpoises like we’re back on the launch version of MSFS. I hope they smooth it out.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Neither DCS nor helicopters ever really clicked for me but this makes me wanna drop $70 on the new Hind add-on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpsOcQiP_Q0

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
DCS supports VR controllers now? I might have to reinstall it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cojawfee posted:

this sounds like an absolutely awful idea, but i'd encourage you to find out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why is it an awful idea? VR controllers were pretty awesome for XPlane.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cojawfee posted:

Why is it an awful idea? VR controllers were pretty awesome for XPlane.

Because you have to transition between them and your HOTAS all the time, at least up until that point where the controllers can fully and precisely track all of your finger positions on both hands and also provide the full tactile feedback of telling you the position of your stick and throttle.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

While I fully believe DCS would have situations where the transition between controllers hits at bad times and makes it a pain, it’s fairly easy to switch in x-plane and people still acted like it was the end of the world to have to let go of the HOTAS and pick up a VR hand.

Bind everything to your HOTAS that you desperately need for “my hands need to be on the stick and throttle the whole time” situations which are takeoff and landing and require just a handful of things - flaps, gear, autopilot, TO/GA, speed brakes. GA doesn’t have enough switches and knobs necessary in a high workload time outside of tuning autopilot to need VR hands; tubes are automated enough you can free one hand for switches when you’re cleaning up the plane or playing with stuff.

If you’re trimmed and steady it’s maybe a little weird but not that bad to let go of the throttle and grab your VR hand next to it to flick lights or radios or whatever you need to.

I desperately want hands in MSFS - though I haven’t tried VR for many patches. They don’t have it yet, do they?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some VR headsets use built-in cameras to track controllers (like the Reverb). At what point do they just use those to do hand tracking? That would be the best of both worlds for flight sim controls.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Anime Store Adventure posted:

While I fully believe DCS would have situations where the transition between controllers hits at bad times and makes it a pain, it’s fairly easy to switch in x-plane and people still acted like it was the end of the world to have to let go of the HOTAS and pick up a VR hand.

it's more like, there's ways you could fly in dcs where the transition wouldn't be a problem, but none of them involve combat.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Some VR headsets use built-in cameras to track controllers (like the Reverb). At what point do they just use those to do hand tracking? That would be the best of both worlds for flight sim controls.

I wouldn't mind wearing a goofy-looking multicolored glove that makes hand tracking easier if such a solution existed.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Quest 2 already does this. It works ok.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cojawfee posted:

For a while it seems? I tried flying it with my Index controllers once, pretty terrible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I got a t16000 stick+throttle combo, but the throttle is poo poo (unless you do a lot of aftermarket work on it, apparently) so after two flights I shelved it. Really hope the Turtle Beach set comes out in August and it's decent, since I've now forgotten all the not-enforced-by-the-game-but-I-do-FAA-rules-voluntarily restrictions. It's not bad with a controller but there's a lot missing. Not the least of which being analog rudder.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sapozhnik posted:

It's a known issue in that you spawn with the autopilot on for some strange reason (so it will fight you). Turn off the AP.

It was indeed the AP - thanks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mailer posted:

I got a t16000 stick+throttle combo, but the throttle is poo poo (unless you do a lot of aftermarket work on it, apparently) so after two flights I shelved it. Really hope the Turtle Beach set comes out in August and it's decent, since I've now forgotten all the not-enforced-by-the-game-but-I-do-FAA-rules-voluntarily restrictions. It's not bad with a controller but there's a lot missing. Not the least of which being analog rudder.

What kind of aftermarket work?

I put some silicone grease on the rails and tweaked the tension screw until moved the way I liked it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

skooma512 posted:

I put some silicone grease on the rails and tweaked the tension screw until moved the way I liked it.

My dad has one and did that, and added some magnets in the center of the travel to mark the neutral point. He’s a elite dangerous grandpa.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

GutBomb posted:

My dad has one and did that, and added some magnets in the center of the travel to mark the neutral point. He’s a elite dangerous grandpa.

That magnet idea is genius, I always wanted a detent in the middle like a Hoyas X, but less aggressive than that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

skooma512 posted:

yeah do this, it works great

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Gonna get in a little sim time since I haven't been on in over a month, get the HOTAS setup all into place and plugged in, oh I have to install an 80GB update well ok I'll be back in some hours. That's all done now let's...

Oh gently caress you. You check my internet connection that just installed 80GB motherfucker. No mods installed, no ad blocker, no virus scanner, just no joy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 15, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You got banned for not flying enough.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

CapnBry posted:

Gonna get in a little sim time since I haven't been on in over a month, get the HOTAS setup all into place and plugged in, oh I have to install an 80GB update well ok I'll be back in some hours. That's all done now let's...

Oh gently caress you. You check my internet connection that just installed 80GB motherfucker. No mods installed, no ad blocker, no virus scanner, just no joy.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flight Simulator II on my Commodore 64 never became unplayable due to server outages.

It was always unplayable due to low frame rate.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
This is the performance update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
how many fps does that error box render at? probably as much performance as you will ever see.