Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

And X-Men 2 in 2003 cemented it as being here to stay even if there were some missteps and time between it and Iron Man.
I think X and X2 definitely turned the page from Batman and Robin's destruction. Gotta remember that Hollywood tried indie and smaller stuff like Tank Girl and Mystery Men in addition to Big Names before. Sometimes you had a hit, like with The Mask and Blade, and other times you got Berry Catwoman and Superman Returns.

The one-two punch of Iron Man and The Dark Knight made people see $$$ signs again, but if Marvel hadn't made their studio and consolidated their IP there's no way you would have had an Endgame-type build thanks to all the studio fuckery.

I mean, look at how hard it's been for other lines to get their franchises going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Can't forget Spider-Man 1 One, ie The First Spider-Man 1, in 2002

Other than the goofy Green Goblin costume (which, honestly, may have just been a necessary compromise), it felt so unashamed of its comic-bookness.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Green Goblin costume just took the halloween mask cheese and replaced it with Power Rangers cheese, which was pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXAGC_B2Ys

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I doubt we would have gotten Endgame level stuff if Disney hadn't taken over either. Feige wouldn't have had anyone that mattered in his corner when Perlmutter tried to micro the movies more in the Iron Man 3/Ant Man era. He probably would have brought Avi Arad back in the helm the rest of the Avengers movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dignity Van Houten posted:

Not specific to 1.5 but my favorite part of the first X-Men is out of shape wolverine

Edit - just looked it up again and he could definitely beat me up. But it's amazing what Hugh did when he started scientifically tailoring his diet and workout to min/max his lean muscle and water mass

It was more than that: he'd never seriously worked out before and started on set (he was cast as the movie was already shooting) as a result, he started putting on muscle really quickly, to the point that there's essentially a continuity error between the cage fight scene (which was shot late) and the scene where he wakes up. The commentary talked about how they got a jumper on him very quickly to lessen the divergence

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The weird thing about the original X-Men movies was how bad the action was for being ostensibly action movies.

The wire-fu and the millions of ways they shot scenes to avoid showing anyone getting stabbed or exploded still haunt my dreams. Every single fight is terrible CGI and people flying in slo-mo with wires. Sabretooth's power is just to throw people and cars in slow motion.

The Nightcrawler White House scene sticks out so much because the rest of the action set pieces were so forgettable.

THIS was the climactic action scene they wanted to make a selling point of the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VagrTsi5vsw&t=41s

The first XMen had a really chaotic shoot where wolverine was recast very late and the release date was moved up by six months (it was a christmas 2000 release that was suddenly brought forward to summer) There's a bit on one of the DVD making ofs where you see the major crew members finding out and getting really angry.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The United States posted:

The Green Goblin costume just took the halloween mask cheese and replaced it with Power Rangers cheese, which was pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXAGC_B2Ys

This video is cool, the power rangers mask is cool, and it'd be cool if they'd just spray-painted Willem DaFoe green. All great options IMO.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In hindsight the Raimi films were almost perfect encapsulations of the cheesiness of the comic era it was drawing inspiration from and the choice of director was more or less perfect for it.

I would also absolutely credit spidey 1 and 2 with furthering the comic book movie genre after X-men.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Also I’m sure this has been said a million times over but can we please get Willem Dafoe to play Joker sometime, thanks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Green Goblin is one of those characters whose costume 100% does not work in a live action setting at all, so you gotta do something or embrace cartoon logic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it's fair to say that Blade, The Matrix, and X-Men all dropping from 1998-2000, together, made the "comic book movie" as we know it now possible. And X-Men 2 in 2003 cemented it as being here to stay even if there were some missteps and time between it and Iron Man.

'78 Superman was the actual start but WB pissed it all away with the lovely sequels, which became something of a trend with superhero/comicbook movies (see also: TMNT, Batman '89, etc etc).

Batman Begins in 2004 was also a crucial step in the modern evolution of comicbook movies (especially in terms of tone and planned continuity), building on what X-Men and Spider-Man had started.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Next movie I watched from the library: Wonder Woman 1984.

Who the hell thought any of this was a good idea.

I struggle to believe it had the same director as the first Wonder Woman movie.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 6, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cythereal posted:

Next movie I watched from the library: Wonder Woman 1984.

Who the hell thought any of this was a good idea.

I struggle to believe it had the same director as the first Wonder Woman movie.

It was and she had free reign over the entire thing. No Snyder, no execs. Aren't you excited for Rogue Squadron>???

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

They nailed the casting with X1 but putting Rogue in the role Jubilee should have been in ruined it for me.

Weird way to spell Kitty Pryde.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vintersorg posted:

It was and she had free reign over the entire thing. No Snyder, no execs. Aren't you excited for Rogue Squadron>???

Diana arguably rapes some poor dude who never even gets named.

Barbara fighting back against a guy who tried to sexually assault her twice is supposed to be her descent into evil.

Somehow one magic speech made everyone in the world give up their wishes.

"No one knows what caused the Roman Empire to collapse."

"Barbara's desire to be like Diana - a tough, proud, rear end-kicking woman who doesn't take poo poo from people - is selfish and wrong and starts her down the road to evil."

That movie was as bad as it was completely baffling.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 6, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cythereal posted:

Bwuh?

I haven't seen the movie and heard mostly bad things, but I had never heard this.

Doesn't her boyfriend come back from the dead via ~*magic*~? Who is she raping?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bwuh?

I haven't seen the movie and heard mostly bad things, but I had never heard this.

He comes back by somehow possessing or overwriting some random, nameless dude. Diana then sleeps with Trevor. When she gives back her wish, Trevor immediately reverts to the random dude he was before.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bwuh?

Her boyfriend's soul explicitly possesses a random dude without his permission.
e;f, b

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The director just kinda brushes it off when asked about it too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was all magic that brought Steve Trevor back, I don't see why they couldn't just have him materialize out of thin air instead of the body swap. There was no reason for the body swap, it had zero bearing on the plot and the host body wasn't like a pre-established character or anything.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's the ~Monkey's Paw~

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Being written by the guy who did the script for Dora and the Lost City of Gold!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was all magic that brought Steve Trevor back, I don't see why they couldn't just have him materialize out of thin air instead of the body swap. There was no reason for the body swap, it had zero bearing on the plot and the host body wasn't like a pre-established character or anything.

multijoe posted:

It's the ~Monkey's Paw~

The intended point is that Diana is literally dating the Random Guy and metaphorically projecting the traits of her dead boyfriend onto him.

The issue is that Diana gradually learns that this is bad, and it's presented in terms of her personal development (attachment to the dead Steve 'prevents her from flying', so she must finally admit that she doesn't actually love Random Guy...). The filmmakers didn't consider issues of consent because they were focused on this metaphor, where this is merely the story of a flawed relationship and amicable breakup.

To many people in the audience, however, it's immediately obvious that this is actually a much more horrific scenario: Diana has unwittingly brainwashed or killed a dude.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 6, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Weird way to spell Kitty Pryde.

She was already in these movies? Wasn't she jealous of Sookie and Icemans relationship?

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 6, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pillowpants posted:

She was already in these movies? Wasn't she jealous of Sookie and Icemans relationship?

Yeah, it was a pretty terrible role. Which made her showing up in DoFP kinda great. She had, like, Things To Do there apart from being chased by a meme-spouting Vinnie Jones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pillowpants posted:

The poster is noting that, over the years, the POV character has shifted from one bubbly upstart with weird powers to another.

90s kids watch X-Men and think "Hey no Jubilee?!", when folks that grew up in the 80s think "Where Kitty Pryde?!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Barbara fighting back against a guy who tried to sexually assault her twice is supposed to be her descent into evil.

Somehow one magic speech made everyone in the world give up their wishes.

"No one knows what caused the Roman Empire to collapse."

"Barbara's desire to be like Diana - a tough, proud, rear end-kicking woman who doesn't take poo poo from people - is selfish and wrong and starts her down the road to evil."

That movie was as bad as it was completely baffling.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

multijoe posted:

It's the ~Monkey's Paw~

For it to be a Monkey’s Paw wish Steve and Diana would have to morally struggle with their decision to kill a guy but they absolutely do not care at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This and the mall scene are without a doubt some of the worst action set pieces in superhero movies let alone major block busters.

When they released the preview mall fight I couldn't believe insanely horrible it was.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfRAVvbrNg0

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Glad to see the baby from American Sniper is getting more work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One thing you have to think about is how much of WW84 was put together and dictated Not To Be Changed by DC/WB execs prior to handing it to Jenkins. For example, the Bat-brand from BvS (as well as the title of BvS) was set before Snyder or Terrio had anything to do with it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I don't know -- I don't think Jenkins is a particularly good action director and I thought the first Wonder Woman film was incredibly dull.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I was going to say that even the best action scenes can look bad if you slow it down and play it in a 600x460 resolution compressed gif.

But, then I went to see the actual scene on Youtube and it is literally that bad and the slow-mo is actually part of the scene.

Yikes.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Vintersorg posted:

This and the mall scene are without a doubt some of the worst action set pieces in superhero movies let alone major block busters.

When they released the preview mall fight I couldn't believe insanely horrible it was.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

It's like those Indian Bollywood exaggerated supercop movies

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
She wanted to put those Palestinian Kids in the missile path.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dignity Van Houten posted:

It's like those Indian Bollywood exaggerated supercop movies

No, those are good

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

No, those are good
Yeah, Wonder Woman really wants to play like more a campy and weird superhero story. Superman III, Batman Returns, and the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series all are influences which all sounds great on paper, but it really falls short.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

The first XMen had a really chaotic shoot where wolverine was recast very late

And all because Tom Cruise and John Woo are lunatics and Mission: Impossible II went wildly over-schedule with re-shoots.

I seriously cannot imagine Dougray Scott as Wolverine. I wonder if there's any footage of him screen testing for the role.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vintersorg posted:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

ahahaha what the gently caress

poo poo's like an SNL scene with a movie budget

how is that meant to be the same character as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlJtYiubyYw

or even the first WW film?

I heard it was bad, but woof

EDIT that said, I watched Aquaman the other day and it kinda ruled. It was dumb and weird and objectively kinda bad but it was fun as heck

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aquaman has some pacing issues but is thoroughly ok which is more than I can say for WW84 or BvS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MiddleOne posted:

Aquaman has some pacing issues but is thoroughly ok which is more than I can say for WW84 or BvS.

I was with you til the last word of your sentence

(unless you're talking about the theatrical cut of course)