Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doom Eternal having a story is fine. The stupid poorly written trash they call a story that it currently has is the issue. Even outside of the main game the dlc is the worst about it. gently caress the dark lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im not digging the seemingly constant jumping puzzle sections. I dont mind it for finding secrets but its just too much especially when they connect entire map sections together for no other purpose then to waste my time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just don't care about the story in a Doom game either way and like Eternal more because it plays better. :shrug:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I’m still really puzzled that Hell, the manifestation of corruption and hatred and vile wickedness itself, didn’t look like Bosch and Giger’s creative lovechild boiling out of madness out into the world, and instead kinda looked like a red Urdak with Star Wars influences. DLC2 felt derivative, creatively exhausted, and rushed to me, and as much as I’d like to give it credit as a vision that’s different from how I’d prefer it, I can’t shake my disappointment in it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

I’m still really puzzled that Hell, the manifestation of corruption and hatred and vile wickedness itself, didn’t look like Bosch and Giger’s creative lovechild boiling out of madness out into the world, and instead kinda looked like a red Urdak with Star Wars influences. DLC2 felt derivative, creatively exhausted, and rushed to me, and as much as I’d like to give it credit as a vision that’s different from how I’d prefer it, I can’t shake my disappointment in it.

There's literally a story reason for why it looked like red Urdak.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is a good watch about the music of Doom up through Eternal, but not its DLC. I didn't realize how much the game was weaving together the soundtrack in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_C_RFa6v90

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
i like doom eternal more than doom 2016 because i think doom eternal is more fun to play

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Holding R to skip solves most of my complaints about the story. Not like it affects the gameplay outside of one boss mission and having a few high space fantasy themed levels.

Bought the DLCs on sale and running through the game again. Does anyone know of a permanent fix for the ray tracing performance issues? It’s not very fun booting up the game to 20 FPS then having to turn everything down and off then back on again. After fiddling it runs at 120+ FPS with 1440, ultra nightmare, ray tracing, and DLSS on. I’ve got an RTX 3070 and the settings menu says the VRAM usage is like 7.6 GB out of 8 GB available, but even if I turn all the settings down so it’s like 5/8 GB it stills chugs like crazy on startup until I toggle settings back and forth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think the new mechanics of Eternal make it less fun to play, then the dumb story stuff reduces the fun even more.

Also it's still a crime what they did to Mick Gordon's score, since we're on the music, and I'll probably never forgive them for it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think the new mechanics of Eternal make it less fun to play, then the dumb story stuff reduces the fun even more.

Also it's still a crime what they did to Mick Gordon's score, since we're on the music, and I'll probably never forgive them for it.

The video suggests that Gordon got fired for creative differences over the Eternal soundtrack, but who knows. The music in TAG is serviceable I guess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Steve Jorbs posted:

Holding R to skip solves most of my complaints about the story. Not like it affects the gameplay outside of one boss mission and having a few high space fantasy themed levels.

Bought the DLCs on sale and running through the game again. Does anyone know of a permanent fix for the ray tracing performance issues? It’s not very fun booting up the game to 20 FPS then having to turn everything down and off then back on again. After fiddling it runs at 120+ FPS with 1440, ultra nightmare, ray tracing, and DLSS on. I’ve got an RTX 3070 and the settings menu says the VRAM usage is like 7.6 GB out of 8 GB available, but even if I turn all the settings down so it’s like 5/8 GB it stills chugs like crazy on startup until I toggle settings back and forth.

Did you install the new driver?

Just lowering texture pool to Ultra should be enough to get it running smoothly on 8GB cards

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

repiv posted:

Just lowering texture pool to Ultra should be enough to get it running smoothly on 8GB cards
Ah I see there’s a hot fix from the other day. Don’t think I’ve updated since it released. I’ll give that a spin tonight thanks for the heads up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The video suggests that Gordon got fired for creative differences over the Eternal soundtrack, but who knows.

He got fired for missing like 3-4 deadlines cause (i'm guessing) he got the pandemic depression at the time.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Jack Trades posted:

There's literally a story reason for why it looked like red Urdak.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was a satisfying decision or thematically appropriate given the game universe prior to Eternal. I could go into more detail but it'd hit spoiler territory hard and stay there for at least a solid paragraph. Bottom line: didn't like it, didn't feel like it fit, felt derivative and underwhelming instead of like descending into a hive of definitive villainy.

Jack Trades posted:

He got fired for missing like 3-4 deadlines cause (i'm guessing) he got the pandemic depression at the time.

Gordon's also been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and id was apparently subjecting him to significant deadline pressure throughout the development of the title. Exhaustion + bipolar disorder goes bad places. id fed the bear and burned the bridge, music in the DLC suffered for it, and I'm measurably less interested in their future work if Mick isn't involved.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping that he sticks by Machine Games to help us kill Hitler to the tune of industrial metal.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hasturtium posted:

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was a satisfying decision or thematically appropriate given the game universe prior to Eternal. I could go into more detail but it'd hit spoiler territory hard and stay there for at least a solid paragraph. Bottom line: didn't like it, didn't feel like it fit, felt derivative and underwhelming instead of like descending into a hive of definitive villainy.

Gordon's also been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and id was apparently subjecting him to significant deadline pressure throughout the development of the title. Exhaustion + bipolar disorder goes bad places. id fed the bear and burned the bridge, music in the DLC suffered for it, and I'm measurably less interested in their future work if Mick isn't involved.

They gave him multiple extensions and a lot of slack but they were had to release the OST as part of their pre-order bonus to avoid legal complications and at that point he only turned in the more ambient stuff.

It sucks all around and honestly I think if they didn't have to ship the OST as part of the pre-order they'd have kept letting Gordon delay for a hell of a lot longer until it was ready.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think part of it is just increased expectations for Eternal. Remember that before Doom 2016 came out that id's previous games were Doom 3 and Rage, both of which are mediocre at best and are mostly tech demos. Nobody expected this long awaited perpetually in development hell game to be any good. gently caress, we didn't even get a good look at it until Nvidia did a video showcase of their Vulkan tech with it. Bethesda thought the best way to market it was through its multiplayer :laffo: Compare that to Eternal after Doom 2016 exceeds everybody's extremely low expectations.

That said I do agree with some of the negative sentiment around Eternal. I definitely got what id was going for with the combat loops but it feels exhausting to keep up. There's a fine line between "doing this loop properly means you're kicking the game's rear end" and "this is the only way to play, you are punished with death otherwise" and more times than not Eternal falls on the latter. Like, would it really kill the game if I could carry more than 24 shotgun shells? I marathoned Doom 2016 on UV and the game left me wanting more; Eternal was a slog that took me 6 months to finish and I don't think I want more of it if the extra content is "Eternal but even more ball bustingly difficult" which is why I haven't touched TAG or the master levels yet.

Oh, and gently caress the platforming. Absolutely the worst part of Eternal, to double down on shitloads of platforming.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Dameius posted:

They gave him multiple extensions and a lot of slack but they were had to release the OST as part of their pre-order bonus to avoid legal complications and at that point he only turned in the more ambient stuff.

It sucks all around and honestly I think if they didn't have to ship the OST as part of the pre-order they'd have kept letting Gordon delay for a hell of a lot longer until it was ready.

That's all unfortunately true. It sounded like the legal situation surrounding Gordon's obligations was murkier than it should have been, and id was also foolish not to get lossless stems for mixing after running into deadline problems beforehand. I do have an issue with id screaming at Mick when the real problem was toxic fans ragescreeching at Chad Mossholder for, uh, doing his job, but this wasn't a situation where any winners were going to emerge anyway. It's just sad. I can only imagine what Mick could have brought to a rebooted Quake.

UnknownMercenary's right, prior to Doom 2016's release the buzz was awful and people were wondering how big a catastrophe it was going to be. I was one of them, and was afraid it'd be a dated fiasco to put on the same shelf as Duke Nukem Forever. Instead it might have been the single best FPS I played since F.E.A.R. all the way back in 2005. I'll accept Eternal, warts and all, over something like Rage. But not the platforming. I even liked The Chasm in Doom II and I think Eternal went overboard.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

repiv posted:

Also its important to let the system chug for about 30 seconds or so after you apply new settings before it initializes and your actual framerate becomes apparent.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

UnknownMercenary posted:

That said I do agree with some of the negative sentiment around Eternal. I definitely got what id was going for with the combat loops but it feels exhausting to keep up. There's a fine line between "doing this loop properly means you're kicking the game's rear end" and "this is the only way to play, you are punished with death otherwise" and more times than not Eternal falls on the latter.

I for one know that I've only learned quick weapon switching (and at a very basic level, practically ssg/ballista back-and-forth) by the end of the first expansion, and I've only switched to ice grenades accidentally while mashing the keyboard. And yet I've still played through the game on HMP and UV (of course while dying copious amounts).

Maybe relied too much on the panic+blood punch+grenade under my feet+flame belch+fire whatever is in my hand combo too much, but I'm far from my gaming virtuoso years anyway. But apart from the bosses and the stone imps I've felt no stress to use THE way for each demon.

Acid floor dual marauders can suck it, tho.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
The most fun and memorable part of eternal for me was DLC 1. I ground through it on nightmare and it was awesome. DLC 2 was a bit less memorable for some reason - I kinda coasted through it. The only exception were the arenas with the meat hook attachments - really reminded me of my Q3 arena days.
I guess the direction this game is taking is for me, but I understand why people don’t like it.

Edit: Q3 came out almost 22 years ago. I’m really dating myself here.

Dr Cheesequake fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 7, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gordon got fired because he kept delaying handing in the final mixes for Eternal and then he dragged the sound engineers and Bethesda in an extremely unprofessional way on YouTube and Reddit.

I’m playing the back half of Eternal again and the challenges where you have to do specific side glory kills are so annoying.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

All platforming in D:E should be skippable

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Doomykins posted:

Doom 2016 has a few clunkers like the security console and office Halflife 2 style forced exposition dumps but overall it's a much better story. There's a tenuous connection to older Dooms(why am I in a coffin, I guess Doom Guy got stuck in Hell after Doom 64 etc) and rapid and satisfying characterization. Hayden is the genius who went too far, Olivia is the genius who gave into desperation and bargained with Hell, Doom Guy shows his contempt with a monitor smash. Hayden tells us "It was for the benefit of humanity" and Doom Guy looks down for two seconds at some poor dead guy. Hayden wants us to preserve his work because of course this is just an expected occupational hazard to dealing with Hell, Doom Guy gives us narrative satisfaction by breaking the filters because gently caress Hell. Then Doom Guy humanizes himself(and shows his intelligence beyond Anger Elemental) with a simple gesture by backing up Vega. Doom 2016 also maintains the old school Doom fan idea that you're not superhuman, you're just a very capable badass using the best of raw human perseverance and guns to barely survive. The overdone THE DOOM SLAYER logs fit because they're timeless ancient demons cataloguing the only time they've encountered a force that they can't fathom that keeps kicking their asses nonstop. Even the pure exposition readable logs had a fine touch like humanizing Hayden by having him figure "If I'm giving myself a robot body it might as well be really big and cool." And I think every 2016 fan was salivating at the thought of kicking Hayden's rear end after that cliffhanger ending.

:shrug: In Doom Eternal you're almost literally fellated by audio logs calling you a god, Hayden knew everything and was so right all along and you only survived because of him and did you want closure with him hahaha nope not even at the end of TAG 1 teleports offscreen, the Dark Lord is the biggest wet fart in the entire series and in fact you only rose to the challenge of all prior Doom games at all because he forged you in the first place, and all the rest of the Blizzard-tier goofball poo poo. At least they occasionally get things right with "You can't shoot a hole in Mars", "Kill The All-Father", "No" and Doom Guy using that dude's card key to start the Mars mission and treating him as gently as a kitten.

You can look at both games and say they're roughly the same, who cares about Doom story, but Doom 2016 leaves me feeling a lot better than Doom Eternal and "there's only one way into Hell through this portal, and now we'll have a bunch of NPCs teleport in behind you because I guess they all had the easy Uber portals to Hell and we need the Endgame scene." Doom Guy walking up to the heart of Hell and seeing the biggest army yet that he totally can't face alone should fire up in the player absolute defiance to kill that army with their own two hands and guns and Eternal misses the tone of 2016 again while teasing it. One game left you wanting more because these devs get it, one game and two expansions later you're exhausted and kind of anxious about Doom 6 being genuinely bad even after Doom Eternal at heart is 10/10 gameplay. That's what the writing matters to a Doom game.

yeah all this 100%

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bought Ancient Gods again for Xbox, love this poo poo

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the story and aesthetics of 2016 are way better but the game play is way more fun in eternal. Instead of the occasional "oh poo poo oh poo poo" moment you get when you're a new player with 2016, eternal has them consistently. I will say that eternal is paced strangely with how long the levels are and the platforming sections. Not that there shouldn't be platforming and exploration but it feels like padding at some points.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is sad about the Mick Gordon falling out and the loss of great future music for doom eternal, but the way he acted throwing the guy trying to do his job under the bus to the point where his fans were sending death threats to him for not doing the audio the justice they felt it deserved it's really hard not to take ID's side on this and hard to pass it off as "poor Mick"

Glad they scrapped the invasion mode over a year since doom eternal released and we're getting a official horde mode, hopefully the horde mode mods that already exist can take advantage of anything from them to make their own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How did he throw mossholder under the bus? All he said was "its not how I would have mixed the tracks."

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mick neglected to mention that he withheld the source stems from Mossholder, forcing him to work with the already heavily processed in-game stems

Micks statement fed the "Mossholder hosed up the OST" narrative when the truth was that Mossholder couldn't have mixed it like Mick would, because Mick wouldn't co-operate

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

"its not how I would have mixed the tracks."

By “how I would have mixed the tracks”, Gordon meant “not at all”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Making a statement isn't by itself a show of intent and I don't think Mick Gordon wanted to sic a hate mob onto Mossholder. Saying it's not how he'd mix the tracks isn't an endorsement to attack the guy who did end up finishing the album.

It didn't help matters but it's not like Mick was going out on Twitter yelling and being a diva. He was asked by people and he answered. He's very active engaging with his fans on Twitter and YouTube so it probably wasn't out of the ordinary for him.

The whole thing is a shitshow but the need to make one person out to be clearly in the wrong and then to amplify their fault by suggesting that there was malicious intent behind everything they said and did doesn't help anyone. Mick missed deadlines, has a habit of being a perfectionist, said he wouldn't have mixed tracks the way Mossholder did and then ended by saying he probably won't work with iD again and burned a bridge. That's enough to judge him on without also suggesting he incited a Twitter mob.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 7, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Making a statement isn't by itself a show of intent and I don't think Mick Gordon wanted to sic a hate mob onto Mossholder. Saying it's not how he'd mix the tracks isn't an endorsement to attack the guy who did end up finishing the album.

It didn't help matters but it's not like Mick was going out on Twitter yelling and being a diva. He was asked by people and he answered. He's very active engaging with his fans on Twitter and YouTube so it probably wasn't out of the ordinary for him.

The whole thing is a shitshow but the need to make one person out to be clearly in the wrong and then to amplify their fault by suggesting that there was malicious intent behind everything they said and did doesn't help anyone. Mick missed deadlines, has a habit of being a perfectionist, said he wouldn't have mixed tracks the way Mossholder did and then ended by saying he probably won't work with iD again and burned a bridge. That's enough to judge him on without also suggesting he incited a Twitter mob.

The problem wasn't him egging it on but in his absolute silence on correcting the record when people took what little he did say and ran with it. Or in not telling people to knock that poo poo off when it started.

Its a drat shame and ruined a very productive and good partnership but he only has himself to blame.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Can you point to any point, up to and including today, where Mick has told the people making death threats in his honor to chill the gently caress out?

Was there any reasonable expectation that people would chill the gently caress out without a giant letter from Marty explaining the situation? It wasn't hours, it was days of threats and harassment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Twitter just seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't platform. You make a statement and people take it as a rallying cry. You dont make a statement and suddenly you're on the hook for hundreds of terminally online assholes reading way too far into innocuous statements. Silence as endorsement is just as misguided as taking a single response and running fifteen different directions with it. Should Mick have said "hey, quit it"? Yeah, probably, but not saying that is not the same thing as saying "lynch the poor bastard."

So no, I don't hold Mick Gordon to account for a hate mob, nor do I think iD holds him responsible. Their issues with Mick came down to the missing deadlines and not delivering what was promised even after they made exceptions for him. People were being assholes on their own working themselves into a frenzy based off of limited information and reading malice into tweets that only answered questions asked. Marty setting the record straight was to defend his employees from a mob of internet idiots.

We can only speculate at intent over Mick's tweets but nothing in them suggests he had it out for iD. He hosed up, he didn't tell them to get hosed.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 8, 2021

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
RT is cool I guess. I don’t really see... much difference at all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AlternateAccount posted:

If I'm being entirely honest, I'm not sure I do either most of the time--particularly at the pace that Doom Eternal is typically played. That being said, the impact to performance is so negligible that it's one of the few cases where I just set RT "on" by default because why not.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If I'm being entirely honest, I'm not sure I do either most of the time--particularly at the pace that Doom Eternal is typically played. That being said, the impact to performance is so negligible that it's one of the few cases where I just set RT "on" by default because why not.

A neat longer interview with Id about implementing RT. Apparently that factor was the main reason they chose to go for reflections vs. shadows- its something you can actually see while zooming around if you look for it... as opposed to shadows which in the middle of the chaos may as well not exist at all. Its always nice to be able to have accurate reflections at least available and one thing that strikes me (at least as someone with a computer graphics background) is how it adds what is essentially full "resolution" detail to even lower detail objects (like the health pickups) in a way that unifies things quite nicely. That effect is even more pronounced in Quake 2 RTX with its lower resolution models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBgv_0q5gmM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

It seemed massively obvious to me, like the reflections are so much better.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

got to the final arena on taras nabad only to have my game crash fml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I lost all my milestones and my slayer club thing was reset to level 1 on series x. So I have everything done on all the levels but it won’t let me do the Master levels :(