Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I'm just wondering how many people will call Metroid a clear The Mandalorian knockoff. (and given I'm pretty sure Samus is based on Boba Fett complete with having the same stated job... they're not exactly wrong.)

Probably a lot? Metroid as a series hasn't been a household name sort of video game IP in a very long time and a lot of people are going to look at it as at least biting a lot from Mandalorian because that show is a hit and opened the door to a convo about a Metroid series even being a possibility. Bounty hunter (who almost never takes their armor off in public) going on adventures in space with a baby alien is not exactly a novel concept but the association would be understandable.

Maybe the first season is just Samus going on missions, brutally hunting down not just space pirates but whoever has information on Metroids, Chozo artifacts, [insert IP appropriate macguffin here], etc to the extent that even the Space Alliance is afraid to keep her around. We never see Samus take off the armor, eat, or even sleep. End of the season it is revealed that the suit is actually empty - the real Samus has been dead for years and the suit is trying to find a way to bring her back.

Don't know if you could get Nintendo to sign off on something like that storywise, or if they'd balk at the idea of keeping the suit front and center given that the zero suit aesthetic is pushed pretty heavily when Samus shows up in other games now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/SamuelDeats/status/1407580702833627138

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I'm just wondering how many people will call Metroid a clear The Mandalorian knockoff. (and given I'm pretty sure Samus is based on Boba Fett complete with having the same stated job... they're not exactly wrong.)

The Constantine show on I think NBC had this problem- Supernatural bit so much of its overall world design from Hellblazer that when they went to adapt Hellblazer into a show it was impossible to do it without seeming extremely derivative and drawing comparisons to something with an existing fanbase and larger budget.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Entropic posted:

lol Warren Ellis is on record as being a huge Deadwood fan who specifically loved the over-the-top swearing in the show

Ah, over-the-top swearing and constant whedonisms, just what I wanted from a Castlevania series.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spermando posted:

Ah, over-the-top swearing and constant whedonisms, just what I wanted from a Castlevania series.

Why are you here, buddy?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pope Guilty posted:

The Constantine show on I think NBC had this problem- Supernatural bit so much of its overall world design from Hellblazer that when they went to adapt Hellblazer into a show it was impossible to do it without seeming extremely derivative and drawing comparisons to something with an existing fanbase and larger budget.

They also had to file so much of Constantine's rough edges off that he was largely a different character. Like when they adapted storied from the books certain characters still died but it was never John's fault and he actively tried to prevent it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's been about two weeks since I finished this show in 3 sittings and I'm still lost in my feelings about it.

It's the happiest ending I've ever seen in such a gothic setting, but it also feels earned.

I love these characters and overall I was extremely pleased with the program as a whole, though overall I feel like Season 4 was the weakest season. From far enough back, I think all of the Carmilla/Isaac/Hector stuff should have just been relegated to S3, because it feels totally without place in S4, and ultimately just leads to all of the most interesting characters basically just wandering off screen because their plotline didn't have room to breathe. Hector seems to have simply turned around entirely on being a necromantic sex slave in the in between, and all of Isaac's character growth took place last year, he just spends this season explaining to people that he's changed. Isaac was the best character in the show, I could have used more of him in S4.

Sipha's power level seems pretty obviously tied to her mental state, and watching the way her attacks expand and mutate in time with her emotional state is really cool.

Turning the side character from S3 into the "villain" of S4 felt unearned. CSG is a cool dude and him suddenly being willing to murder innocent people indiscriminately seemed very sudden and extreme.

Alucard is just the best, the most special and goodest boi, and I am glad he found purpose again. Watching him with the kids is funny because it gives you a glimpse of what a big goof Dracula must have been as a dad,

This season suffers from a truly unforgivable amount of "and now the characters are in the place where the story happens because they need to be", it just felt like what protagonists were doing was fully and completely disconnected from the antagonists until they were all back at the castle.

Death was superb, an excellent bait and switch that got me good. A perfect performance and suitably meta-physical villain to cap the series.

The final battle was the peak of the show, but I still think Isaac fighting Legion is probably the coolest animated fight sequence of all time. I'm open to arguments otherwise, but it's an uphill battle.

Overall I loved this show, I really looked forward to it every year. I sincerely hope that whoever takes over the next series, they remember that a strong emphasis on dialogue driven character building scenes with lots of empathy on both sides is the secret of the show's success, and yeah it loving sucks that the author ended up being a creep, but he's not the only screenwriter working today who understands the importance of 100% selling realism through inter-personal character development sprinkled throughout the blood-drenched action sequences.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I watched this whenever it came out as well and I've got most of the same criticisms as Bust Rodd, but also a few more like there being way too much unjustified violence and the dialogue's main trick being just have people say gently caress a lot to add character. The animation was cool, but going from the first couple of seasons where I think there was an extended fight maybe every 4 episodes to having one in more or less every episode was strange and wasn't really what I was watching the show for. Although the dialogue was so bad throughout that I couldn't really remember why I was watching the show, actually. Maybe it actually got worse over time, I don't know. I remember thinking Trevor and Sypha's plot in s3 was really boring, but I liked all the Issac and Hector/Lenore stuff so I was entertained.

It did feel like there was basically a full season missing for every character except Trevor and Sypha, though. Last thing I remember is Lenore leering at the newly enslaved Hector saying he's going to be her pet, and then they're basically best pals and Hector isn't under magical control at all, apparently. I dunno, it wasn't good storytelling. Dunno why they had to eat up so much of the season with long fight scenes instead of developing the characters. Alucard was going off the rails at the end of s3 but in s4 he's just fine, actually. The scholar guy in the cap is evil. All right.

It's a shame because there's a lot of compelling raw material lying around in the roster of characters they built up, but they utilised pretty much everyone poorly. Trevor's fight with Death was cool visually, though.

I'll check out the next series since it's going to have different writers. I like the world, and the tone is almost right for me if you just tone down the edgy bullshit. Regardless of warren ellis being cancelled, going by this series I'm not really interested in seeing more of his writing anyway.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope the studio finds the time to do a season 2 of Seis Manos.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe it’s just because I’m from New York but I have literally never noticed “swearing” in a piece of media. People swear, some people swear a lot, or all the time. Some cultures swear more than others. People say gently caress and poo poo all the time every day, especially coarse or crude people.

I dunno, I personally feel like complaining about swear words is more immature than swearing is, that really is how people talk when they don’t have kids or go to church.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Swearing good. Relieves stress and increases physical pain tolerance required to read my own posts back when editing them.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm mid way through season 3 on this show. I actually like the priory plot more than the others. I find Isaac's bafflement that people won't just let him walk calmly through port cities with his cadre of monsters to be hilarious. What do you expect dude? It's not that humans are intolerant, it's that you've got a thing that can breath fire and has too many teeth behind you. His stupidity is almost equaled by Hector and his trust in Carmilla.

The switching between the Trevor, Hector, Isaac, and Alucard plots make each's pacing move at a snail's pace though, so the series really is best binged. There's no sense each episode has a full arc, it's just hesitant headway in 4 different storylines. Netflix fantasy series seem to suffer from this, The Dragon Prince was also full of episodes with variable run time that just ended whenever after checking in on each of the major characters to see how they were getting on. Contrast this to network shows that usually have much tighter A and B plots that resolve or at least feel relatively complete from episode to episode.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe it’s just because I’m from New York but I have literally never noticed “swearing” in a piece of media. People swear, some people swear a lot, or all the time. Some cultures swear more than others. People say gently caress and poo poo all the time every day, especially coarse or crude people.

I dunno, I personally feel like complaining about swear words is more immature than swearing is, that really is how people talk when they don’t have kids or go to church.

True. Also speaking as a vet in the military you get used to people just dropping "gently caress" or "poo poo" in every sentence pretty fast, so much so that it is somewhat jarring to come back to "normal" life and everyone talks like a Mormon by comparison.

IDK, overall I loved the series and I thought that S4 did a solid enough job of papering over why certain characters had changed in the...6 weeks?...between seasons 3 and 4 to not be a huge sticking point.

Hector seemed to be playing possum - his flashbacks showed that he was passing knowledge to Varney on the low and he gave Isaac his emergency magic portal escape thing to facilitate the showdown with Carmilla, so he obviously hadn't just given up even if he was otherwise kind of aimless. I definitely wanted to know more about what Isaac is going to do now with his new castle, country, and army but maybe they felt like showing all that would be putting too much of a bow on things.

When CSG showed up I was definitely like "wait, what's he doing here", but the flashback montage did give enough backstory for his heel turn to be somewhat believable. He'd spent his life rambling from kingdom to kingdom, each filthier and poorer than the previous one, seeking the Infinite Corridor. Maybe his faith in alchemy got worn down over time as well, until finally not only does he find it but he also falls in love. Both are taken away from him and he has to find his way back. IIRC he doesn't actually harm anyone in S3 and he's aghast at the wonton murder by the cultists as well as spiteful of their Dracula worship. Yet getting back the Infinite Corridor doesn't get him any closer to his lost partner and he's spun out to find what he has been manipulated to think is the real answer, desperate enough to do all the things he shunned before - murder, conspiring with vampires and cultists and demons, etc. It all tracked for me, and the way his story ended felt right on the mark too. Realizing that you've hosed up when it's too late has consequences, even if he did somewhat try to make up for it by assisting Trevor at some pivotal points.

Alucard's S4 shift probably felt the thinnest, he was deeply hurt and betrayed at the end of S3 in addition to maybe losing his mind a little bit from continued isolation so him being willing to ride off and rescue a bunch of nobodies at the drop of a hat was maybe a stretch. But that's meant to be a failing of his character, that he always wants to believe the best in people and try to help so maybe the point was to show him rising back from his lowest points.

Everything else was great. Trevor, Sypha, etc were all wonderful and the B plots moved along quickly enough that I didn't mind the delay in bringing everything together. Malcom McDowell was great as Varney, same for Bill Night as CSG. This series definitely set up a high bar for whatever follow-up they do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did a rewatch before season 4 and I gotta shout out Jason Issacs, that man delivers the goods regardless of the role.

What's the best action sequence in the whole series? Granfaloon is the most interesting sequence, I think, but Sypha/Trevor vs those two angels outside the priory is probably my favorite.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

zoux posted:

I did a rewatch before season 4 and I gotta shout out Jason Issacs, that man delivers the goods regardless of the role.

What's the best action sequence in the whole series? Granfaloon is the most interesting sequence, I think, but Sypha/Trevor vs those two angels outside the priory is probably my favorite.

I do enjoy that in that fight, and several others throughout the series, Trevor punches something to death out of sheer anger or frustration. Just straight up caves in the skull of an angelic monstrosity with his bare hands because it was mean to his girlfriend.

Best action sequences in no particular order:

- Alucard vs Trevor (S1)
- Trevor vs the Portal Beast (S3) (really all of the priory fight was kick rear end from the start to finish)
- Isaac vs Legion (S3)
- Trevor vs the final boss (S4)

Honestly all of the action was great, so it feels weird to leave out things like the Dracula showdown or Carmilla vs Isaac or Striga day armor murder machine or the Big 3 vs Dragan and minions, but I think those 4 listed above are the ones I revisit the most.

Edit: I don't know about best but one of my favorites is maybe the fight between Alucard and the teleporting axe thrower vampire. And Trevor against the spike poltergeist thing. Just very inventive.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 7, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, a 3 episode prologue on the Chozo and Samus growing up with them and learning how to use all their tech and stuff and constantly getting scarred up falling off of buildings. Space Pirates show up, Ridley kills her parents, eternal revenge declared, and then we settle into the comfy monster of the week stuff of Samus responding to distress calls/dragging in wanted aliens.

Just make it like Kung Fu where each episode opens with a flashback to her when she's younger and interacting with her folks/the Chozo/the GF and then the rest of the episode is the more stoic job of the week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Just make it like Kung Fu where each episode opens with a flashback to her when she's younger and interacting with her folks/the Chozo/the GF and then the rest of the episode is the more stoic job of the week.
The treatment I wrote for a Metroid movie way back in film school was almost exactly this.

I structured it like an episode of LOST. The main plot would be Samus on Zebes to destroy Mother Brain so we could feel the sense of loneliness and isolation that Metroid's all about, but the flashback plot would bounce — as she approached obstacles where the story could fill in how she'd realize how to solve said obstacles — between her childhood, Ridley killing her family, the Chozo training her, etc. and then her Galactic Federation era that led her up to the mission.

You get the lonely survivor/adventurer that way while still having a movie with actual characters and plot.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

roomtone posted:

I'll check out the next series since it's going to have different writers. I like the world, and the tone is almost right for me if you just tone down the edgy bullshit. Regardless of warren ellis being cancelled, going by this series I'm not really interested in seeing more of his writing anyway.

I had to switch to German because the voice actors don't mumble, there's the right amount of swearing from the right characters, and it doesn't feel like you're in a Starbucks in LA if you close your eyes.

RE: swearing. I don't mind swearing, but when every character in your show says gently caress every two sentences regardless of whether they're a clinically depressed intellectual or an obnoxious viking (the two main character archetypes in this show), there's a problem with your script. I know I sound cynical, but I think I would absolutely love this show if there were less Marvel-esque quips and the dialogue was less homogenous. I love the source material and I was expecting something less post-modern.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 7, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lotta Mormons ITT

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Everyone complaining about swearing in this thread sounds incredibly bougie.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
And everyone else is weirdly snippy and defensive just because someone points out something that stands out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spermando posted:

And everyone else is weirdly snippy and defensive just because someone points out something that stands out.

How much do you spend on your lawn

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey, some of us watched the whole thing with our mothers ok

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some of our mothers swear like Belmonts

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People from Jersey wondering why everyone swears so little watching Castlevania.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

People from Jersey wondering why everyone swears so little watching Castlevania.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Everyone complaining about swearing in this thread sounds incredibly bougie.

Nah Death's dialogue just sounds like 90s OVA 'piss and poo poo!!' translation job

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

multijoe posted:

Nah Death's dialogue just sounds like 90s OVA 'piss and poo poo!!' translation job

Honestly Death would’ve been fine if he ditched the loving obituary and making GBS threads out the soul lines

Those were just a bridge too far

He’s still dreamy though

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

multijoe posted:

If it was anyone but McDowell I would probably agree but he sells every second of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mat Cauthon posted:

If it was anyone but McDowell I would probably agree but he sells every second of it.

This. It also is important to remember that Death is pissed at the time. The cursing is completely understandable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean the protagonist is a drunken traumatised homeless orphan, a lot of the characters are farmers or soldiers, the vampires are all rear end in a top hat nobility (as are a lot of other characters) or marauding mercenaries. They're all exactly the kinds of people to swear all the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is a pointless cilantro discussion. Either more than 4 swears in a scene doesn't bother you or you've never had someone hurl a beer can at your head from their car on the walk home from school.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

This is a pointless cilantro discussion. Either more than 4 swears in a scene doesn't bother you or you've never had someone hurl a beer can at your head from their car on the walk home from school.

The swearing doesn't upset me lol its just poo poo dialogue

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Which is funny given the context that Warren Ellis’s entire career is predicated on exactly 2 things:

1) Pretty creative approach to plotlines, he is fairly reliable for a unique take on subject matter

2) fluid sounding realistic dialogue that feels more like two real characters interacting and less like expository dialogue for the audience’s benefit

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

I do enjoy that in that fight, and several others throughout the series, Trevor punches something to death out of sheer anger or frustration. Just straight up caves in the skull of an angelic monstrosity with his bare hands because it was mean to his girlfriend.

Best action sequences in no particular order:

- Alucard vs Trevor (S1)
- Trevor vs the Portal Beast (S3) (really all of the priory fight was kick rear end from the start to finish)
- Isaac vs Legion (S3)
- Trevor vs the final boss (S4)

Honestly all of the action was great, so it feels weird to leave out things like the Dracula showdown or Carmilla vs Isaac or Striga day armor murder machine or the Big 3 vs Dragan and minions, but I think those 4 listed above are the ones I revisit the most.

Edit: I don't know about best but one of my favorites is maybe the fight between Alucard and the teleporting axe thrower vampire. And Trevor against the spike poltergeist thing. Just very inventive.

Trevor versus the monsters invading the Belmont castlve. Breathtaking poo poo.

E: to further elaborate, its a human using recognizable human weapons and an Olympic level worth of agility, dexterity and strength to hobble, destroy and utterly own insanely over the top hell machines. Just Trevor pushed to his edge to protect the library and eventually playing drums on a bord corpse monster's head until it cracks.

He's barely holding on the entire time, and his win is inexplicable but so earned

He's also so hilariously exhausted and frustrated by it all

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 8, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

2) fluid sounding realistic dialogue that feels more like two real characters interacting and less like expository dialogue for the audience’s benefit

This is why the dialogue made me roll my eyes because it was so obvious the swearing was supposed to achieve this but it's the only trick the writing had to do it.

Spermando posted:

when every character in your show says gently caress every two sentences regardless of whether they're a clinically depressed intellectual or an obnoxious viking (the two main character archetypes in this show), there's a problem with your script. I know I sound cynical, but I think I would absolutely love this show if there were less Marvel-esque quips and the dialogue was less homogenous.
It seems like everyone thinks it's about wanting to wash the show's mouth out with soap but it's really just that and a bit of this:

multijoe posted:

I wasn't going to reply about this but since its been posted several times I wanted to clarify. It isn't about the swearing itself, it's the repetitive and obvious way it gets used. Nobody gives a gently caress about swearing one way or the other. If you think that's what I'm criticising and the other couple of people who get it are talking about then you've got a blindspot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its just strange in a fantasy that has some of the most realistic, funny, and relatable dialogue I've seen in its genre (which is anime, anime!) is getting criticized for it.

I mean lol look at its rivals

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I mean lol look at its rivals

Name them

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dialogue complainers: which shows do you think have better dialogue and character interplay than this show? I want to hear what you think smooth, natural dialogue sounds like.

Again, it’s funny to critique Ellis for his dialogue, it’s like critiquing Gaiman for his stories being too whimsical or critiquing Moore because his stories are too cerebral… that’s literally the thing he is most famously known for doing better than literally anyone else in their industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about deadwood because it's got a similar method of putting in a bunch of modern swearing into the dialogue to liven it up, and I think the dialogue in deadwood is excellent overall (probably a couple of monologues where they lay it on a bit thick, nothing's perfect). I think I like one more than the other because deadwood has more variety, and is basically just better at it.

As far as looking at its competition - you're bringing up other comic guys so I suppose you mean other anime/comics. I don't really watch a lot of stuff like this. I like the castlevania games and I heard this was unexpectedly good - and I watched it and it actually was, for a while, anyway. I've put on a lot of anime/comic shows over the years, watched half an episode and knew right away it wasn't for me. There's are things about this I do like, and there are characters I liked, like Issac. I really liked Dracula's waning lust for revenge storyline. I just couldn't find much of what I liked in S4 and it seemed like the dialogue especially had degraded.

The dialogue isn't really even the main thing, it was just one point in my original post but I suppose the thing is that this show was good enough that I was judging it as an actual show and not just some dumb stuff to have on in the background sometimes. Seems like it got worse for the reasons I said earlier.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 8, 2021