Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dersh's a big CMNF fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Went to a random page and the first name I recognized was Carl Icahn

lot of good names in there

ted arison (micky's dad)
conrad black
leon black
david bonderman
steve cohen
chris forbes (steve's brother)
lynn forester (now lynn forester de rothschild)
stephen jay gould
jon hunstman lol
icahn
bobby kennedy jr
ted kennedy
ronald perelman
marty peretz
steven rattner
david rockefeller
a couple rothschilds
oliver sacks
trump
vera wang (lots of numbers for her)
mort zucherman

dunno how many of these are new names

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Jul 6, 2021

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
how would you investigate the Bear Stearns connections now that they don't exist

Another Bill posted:

Every so often I remember him insisting nothing happened and that at no time did he ever remove his underwear and I have a good laugh

was is Dersh who brought his Harvard Crimson nephew on the Lolita Express? what happened to that guy?

Fleetwood has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Jul 6, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

It’s really funny that the last 4 years was a friend of Epstein being President and getting into a fight with other friends of Epstein.

And by funny I mean crack ping

DesertIslandHermit has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jul 6, 2021

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009

So for $51k I can have an entire journal dedicated to whatever the gently caress I want?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Backcountry posted:

So for $51k I can have an entire journal dedicated to whatever the gently caress I want?

one weird loophole in the peer review process, academics HATE IT!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

And by funny I mean crack ping

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Backcountry posted:

well, you also have to pay some other scientists to write the 12 studies you want in there.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

*cackles*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

What’s up fellow fools

https://twitter.com/PsyPost/status/1411466680136388611?s=20

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Trump had a whole crusade against pedophilia and was vocal about conspiracy theories regarding his enemies and Jeffrey Epstein and all of his admirers literally cannot see the pictures of their President hanging out with Epstein without arguing that he was a secret saboteur of the pedo ring the whole time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sadly not on scihub yet, but from the SI it’s looking good for this thread:

quote:

We did not detect a significant association between the sub-factor general belief in conspiracy theories and critical thinking ability, r(76) = -.11, p = .32, 95% CI = [-.33, .11], however, we found a significant negative association between the sub-factor extraterrestrial belief in conspiracy theories and critical thinking ability, r(76) = -.28, p = .015, [-.47, -.06].

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

oliver sacks

The man who mistook a child for his wife

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

I think sci-hub might be dead from now on, as in, no longer adding new papers. :(

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

I think sci-hub might be dead from now on, as in, no longer adding new papers. :(

what? why?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trabisnikof posted:

so if I'm reading that right the correlation is barely noticeable unless you're specifically looking at ufo conspiracies?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Many 2021 papers haven’t been appearing and there is this recent story

https://www.chronicle.com/article/is-the-pirate-queen-of-scientific-publishing-in-real-trouble-this-time

Non paywall but slow:
https://archive.is/w0rlZ

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

[thinking hard] the rich get richer by accident, everything is a coincidence

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

there's a preprint on researchgate you might be able to access and if nothing else the materials appear to be on osf (e.g., the ennis-weir test used).

nut
Jul 30, 2019

the study is almost entirely on female French undergrads, who I'm guessing had to do it for psych credit, but regardless drat look at this pattern

here is an overview of the protocol for critical thinking testing which doesn't sound subjective at all (don't worry, there are guidelines!!)

i did us all a favour and went to the cited paper to get the conspiracy items survey

nut
Jul 30, 2019

imagine being crazy enough 2 strongly agree with some of those lol

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd love a link to this four-parter.

You cant find it here. It kind of belongs in the Epstein thread, so I'm going to take a machete to them and cut them waaay down if you don't want to spend too much time reading. (Parts in parenthesis inserted by me.) Needless to say I recommend "Maximum Harm" my Michele McPhee.

quote:

Then, at 6:35 P.M., Cambridge Police Officer Peter Vellucci spotted the vehicle that Lowe had called in near Allston and Brookline Streets. He followed it, calling his location in to the dispatch officer. According to the report, ten minutes later another SUV with a “sketchy guy” began to follow Vellucci’s cruiser. The two SUV license plates were obstructed. That meant only one thing to local police: the drivers were feds.
Something was clearly going on in Cambridge that night that the feds did not want to share with local law enforcement officials. All week there had been whispers about arguments at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal evidence center. [...] Off to one side, remembered one veteran BPD homicide investigator, two FBI agents sat alone. They didn’t introduce themselves. They didn’t mingle. Instead they compared photos in their laps with photos on their computer screen, a detail corroborated by other witnesses who requested anonymity. [...] “We had numerous amounts of employees watching this video over and over and over again,” he would later tell ABC News. “We couldn’t see anything that stuck out.”

One man from the DEA finally could not take it any longer. He stood up and confronted the duo: “What are you guys looking at?” There was no response. A retired investigator who was there later recalled in an interview conducted on background that the DEA agent said: “gently caress you guys. You know who these mutts are and you’re not sharing!” The agent stormed out. But his words stuck with the other officers and agents still looking at the videos. Those FBI agents were not seen at the evidence center again.

Multiple police officers assigned to work at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal but not authorized to speak on the record have told me: “They knew. They held it [the information] for days. They knew.”

If in fact the FBI had known the identity of the baseball-cap-wearing bombers and had shared that information with local law enforcement agents, would (officer) Sean Collier be alive today?

That was a question that would eventually be asked on Capitol Hill by federal lawmakers—in particular, Senator Grassley. After meeting with multiple MIT police officers and Cambridge police officials, Grassley fired off a letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller that contained some pointed questions. Grassley wrote that “uniformed members of the Cambridge Police Department encountered multiple teams of FBI employees conducting surveillance. It is unclear who the FBI was watching.” He then asked Mueller, “was the FBI conducting surveillance in the area of Central Square in the City of Cambridge on the night MIT Officer Sean Collier was shot dead?”

To this day the FBI categorically denies knowing who the bombers were before one of them was killed in the gun battle.

Privately BPD officials and MSP brass began to speculate that all along FBI agents had known much more about the bombers than what they had shared with local law enforcement agents. That speculation became more urgent at 12:51 A.M. on Friday, April 19, when two of their own, BPD Detective Ken Conley and MSP Trooper Dan Wells were nearly shot to death by friendly fire when the unmarked MSP pickup truck they were driving in was mistaken for a vehicle that had been erroneously reported as stolen. (lol) Both men were assigned to the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force in Boston, and they had been assigned to be in the area of Cambridge the night before in plainclothes.They heard the “officer down” call and responded to it. Then came another urgent message of “shots fired” from a Watertown police officer. As they made their way toward Watertown a “be on the lookout” warning was issued for “an unmarked black MSP pickup truck.”

An MSP trooper spotted an unmarked black MSP pickup truck traveling on Adams Street and opened fire. The trooper’s twenty-one shots pierced the vehicle, but miraculously the two cops inside were not hit. One of the bullets was lodged in the headrest on the driver’s side, just inches from where Conley was sitting (both men were later honored at the White House by President Barack Obama, (albeit quietly, almost secretly). Still, no explanation was ever given of how the two members of the JTTF made it to Watertown so quickly. And multiple law enforcement agents noted that on Thursday night the same vehicle had been in the same area of Cambridge where the other FBI vehicles had been spotted, an area that police would soon learn was the bombers’ neighborhood.

To make matters a bit more crack-pingy, Boston and MIT was going through it's own mini-gladio that (at first glance) was unrelated to the bombing. Aaron Swartz, reddit co-founder had snuck into MIT and hacked into a system and downloaded some files. He gets arrested soon after, and commits suicide (or maybe gets Epstein'd, gently caress if I know.) shortly after.

quote:

On January 19, 2011, he pleaded not guilty and posted a $100,000 bond. Swartz’s arrogance was obvious even when he was arrested. Secret Service agents noted that he demanded, “What took you so long?” when they showed up at his apartment with an arrest warrant. This arrogance was one of the reasons that his suicide came as such a shock to the technology community, and even to the law enforcement officials who were prosecuting him.

US Attorney Carmen Ortiz announced that her office would drop the case against Swartz on January 14, 2011, three days after his suicide, and released a statement reading:

I want to extend my heartfelt sympathy to everyone who knew and loved this young man. I know that there is little I can say to abate the anger felt by those who believe that this office’s prosecution of Mr. Swartz was unwarranted and somehow led to the tragic result of him taking his own life [...] a sentence that we would recommend to the judge of six months in a low security setting [...] At no time did this office ever seek—or ever tell Mr. Swartz’s attorneys that it intended to seek—maximum penalties under the law.

Her apology did little to appease the twenty-four-year-old hacker-activist’s supporters. In the days after the bombing on Boylston Street in April 2013 [..], Ortiz was still receiving death threats from Swartz supporters who blamed her office and what they called “overzealous prosecution” for his suicide. The threats were part of an ongoing battle against the government and MIT that had begun three days after his death, when Anonymous hacked the university’s website and posted a memorial to Swartz followed by a list of demands.
The hackers carried out their threat. On February 23, 2013, an e-mail was sent to Cambridge Police Department reporting that a “male with a large firearm and wearing body armor” was on the MIT campus, a threat that caused immediate panic and sent university police, Cambridge cops, and state troopers to the campus. As the manhunt for the gunman was under way another e-mail was sent and a phone call was made, both of which warned that the gunman on campus was “retaliating against the people involved in the suicide of Aaron Swartz” and named an MIT employee as a possible target. But there was no gunman.
The harassment continued even after the jihadists bombed the finish line of the Boston Marathon. In fact, four separate unfounded bomb threats were made in Cambridge on the day of the marathon bombing, including on one of MIT’s campuses—threats that officials have since blamed on hoaxers like the members of Anonymous.

Not only was every cop on high alert looking for the bombers, but there was also chatter from Cambridge cops about federal agents inexplicably setting up surveillance teams all around MIT’s campus.

Four days after the bombings, MIT police officer Sean Collier gets murdered on routine patrol by Tamerlan, Dzhokhar attempts to take his gun but can't get past the holster lock. Tamerlan then carjacks a Chinese business man, Dun Meng and forces Meng to drive to Watertown, where a third man load equipment into Meng's mercedes. Meng later manages to slip out of the car and run to a gas station, where the clerk calls 9-11. The brothers drive away, some cops spot the car and follow. A shootout ensues and Tamerlan chucks a loving pressure-cooker bomb at them.

quote:

“It was incredible. It was horrendous. Very loud. I had to reholster my weapon to be able to straighten my head to be able to see,” MacLellan would later say. He could feel “debris raining down. For some reason I thought shingles were coming off houses, but it was just stuff landing all around us, smoke, car alarms going off, people screaming.”

And the bullets kept coming, he remembered. “To me there were simultaneous flashes coming toward us. There were two handguns being shot.” That recollection would prove interesting, as only one gun and a BB pellet rifle were recovered at the scene, which raised questions about possible accomplices.
“Stop right there,” Pugliese yelled. This man was not showing any weapons but was clearly up to no good, since he was just sitting calmly in a shootout, and Pugliese was concerned he could be connected to the suspects somehow. That suspicion was heightened when, on seeing the cop, the man hopped over a fence and sprinted away. He was the least of Pugliese’s worries at that moment, but the man’s presence would eventually raise questions when investigators began to look into the actions of anyone who might have helped the Boston Marathon bombers.

“There is an individual fleeing the area,” Pugliese radioed the dispatcher and then he quickly put the unidentified man out of his mind. So did the rest of the police in the area.

All the cops on the scene agree that two hand guns were being fired at the police, and Dun Meng would later state that both brothers had guns. Which would raise the question why only one gun is ever found, and if they acted alone, they would need to try to get a third gun by killing Collier.

Eventually Tamerlan's gun jams and Pugliese rushes to tackle him. No one notices Dzhokhar get back into the Mercedes where he tries to run over Pugliese. He barely misses and hits Tamerlan then drives away and escapes on foot. Tamerlan dies in an ambuance a few minutes later. A manhunt begins for suspect 2 (Dzhokhar).

quote:

That same night another incident sent Cambridge police officers racing to the area around MIT. Around 10:20 P.M., at the same time Collier was murdered, a bearded man in a floppy hat pulled a gun on a clerk at a 7-Eleven—while talking on his cell phone. The robber held up the convenience store while calmly chatting with someone.

Today multiple law enforcement officials say—but only privately, for fear of reprisals because there have been no charges—that they believe the robber was a man named Daniel Morley , an anarchist who was photographed by the NYPD as he led an Occupy Wall Street march through lower Manhattan. His activities that day led to his arrest in New York, though the charges were later dropped. His rabid anti-establishment politics led him to join groups like the Free Staters, and he had links to Anonymous.

Hello, I'm your friendly Occupy Wall Street leader anarchist with ties to anonymous and a chud militia, my name is Mr. Definitely-not-a-fed-informant.

quote:

FBI agents then congregated at a two-family house at 89 Dexter Avenue in Watertown that would soon become a focus of the Boston Marathon bombings investigation, one that would be conducted in top secrecy by the FBI. This was the two-family house that the carjacking victim Dun Meng told investigators the smaller carjacker emerged from when Meng pulled up with the larger man. Agents went into the house multiple times on the night that Meng reported its address to police.
However, the FBI would be back. There was no explanation for the smaller man’s emergence from 89 Dexter Avenue that the carjacking victim had reported. When I visited the house in the days after the gun battle, the landlord, an electrical engineer who collected toy car parts like the ones used to build the detonator found on Boylston Street after the bomb blasts, pressed a finger to his lips and warned me, “Be careful what you say. This place is bugged by the FBI.” To this day no one from the house has been publicly identified as a possible codefendant—although some cops suspect that members of a larger cell working with the Marathon bombers had been living there.

Dzhokhar, bloodied, finds a boat, crawls into and passes out. The owner notices a blood trail and calls the cops. A swat team surrouds the boat. Unsurprisingly, they are idiots...

quote:

The FBI was about to throw flash-bang and stun grenades into the boat to disorient the suspect. “There is movement on top of the stairs. Beware of booby traps,” a dispatcher transmitted over the radio.

That movement sparked chaos, and at 6:54 P.M. all control was lost. A police officer saw something shifting in the boat, thought the suspect was armed, and opened fire. That prompted more gunshots—all fired by cops, and none by the suspect, who turned out to be unarmed. To this day no one knows who fired that first round. The gunfire went on for ten to fifteen seconds, and when it was over, 126 bullets had been fired into the boat.

“Shots fired! Shots fired,” Evans screamed into his radio. Bullets kept ringing out. He couldn’t believe it. A cop was more likely to be hit than the suspect inside the boat. Furious, Evans jumped out of his car with a megaphone in his hand: “Hold your fire! Hold your fire! There are friendlies all around this boat.”(LOL)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nut posted:

imagine being crazy enough 2 strongly agree with some of those lol

Again assuming I'm reading it right I do like the distinction between "government malfeasance" and "malevolent global conspiracy"

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I scored a million on that test

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there's always a jeff goldblum moment in these

edit: the validity of their measures notwithstanding, it's interesting they couldn't produce evidence of a negative correlation between general belief in conspiracy theories and critical thinking, only between extraterrestrial conspiracy theories and critical thinking.

Zodium has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Jul 6, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nut posted:

the study is almost entirely on female French undergrads, who I'm guessing had to do it for psych credit, but regardless drat look at this pattern

here is an overview of the protocol for critical thinking testing which doesn't sound subjective at all (don't worry, there are guidelines!!)

i did us all a favour and went to the cited paper to get the conspiracy items survey

is the idea that agreeing with any of these makes you an insane conspiracy theorist? many of them are historical facts that have been on record since the church commission

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
why would an arbitrary critical thinking scale have negative values?

Torpor has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Jul 6, 2021

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Zodium posted:

there's always a jeff goldblum moment in these

edit: the validity of their measures notwithstanding, it's interesting they couldn't produce evidence of a negative correlation between general belief in conspiracy theories and critical thinking, only between extraterrestrial conspiracy theories and critical thinking.

lmfao i didn't even bother looking at the stats assuming it was just some principal component analysis factor that explained like 3% of variation but that's an incredible line

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's also a remarkably well polished study tbh. i'm gonna save this and cite it at people as proof that terrestrial conspiracy theories are statistically indistinguishable from critical thinking, according to scientific experts

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Shear Modulus posted:

is the idea that agreeing with any of these makes you an insane conspiracy theorist? many of them are historical facts that have been on record since the church commission

scanned the list and didn't find a single one i didn't agree with lmao

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Torpor posted:

why would an arbitrary critical think scale have negative values?

the output there isn’t the scale. those are loading a from a factor analysis.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

like of course the government has led diseases spread to cull certain populations. it was reported in like the loving times last year that jared and stephen miller, ie the two most powerful men in the president's inner circle, were sabotaging covid responses all across the country because they thought it would mostly kill minorities

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1412471149410258945?s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this is all a liberal conspiracy to make themselves feel smarter and label any dissent as insanity that can only be fixed by licensed expert therapists and health economists. basically what soviet psychiatry is claimed to have been.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

im sure this guy is on the up and up

lol this guy was definitely never in the cia

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

So here's where it gets interesting:

quote:

In 2002 the odd jobs dried up for Anzor(Tamerlan's Father), and he had some trouble with local government officials. Anzor and Zubeidat (his mother) successfully applied for a ninety-day tourist visa to visit family members in the Boston area. Even though it was one of nearly a dozen moves the family had made, this time they were leaving the country. [...] For one thing, would be his family they would be relying on for help in the United States—in particular, his younger brother Ruslan Tsarniev. A lawyer, Ruslan had moved to the United States in 1995 and had become an American citizen after marrying the daughter of a Russian-speaking CIA official, a Harvard University graduate who had served as the vice chair of the National Intelligence Council, a prestigious post reserved for the most revered spooks.
The Tsarnaevs moved into a cramped top-floor apartment at 410 Norfolk Street in Cambridge, owned by a friend of Ruslan’s, a Russian émigré named Alexander Lipson who taught Russian and Slavic linguistics at Harvard University. One of Lipson’s brightest students was a longtime CIA operative named Graham Fuller, whose biography states “that he “first became smitten with the Middle East at age 16 while reading National Geographic magazines and being enticed by the exotic landscapes, the culture, and the crazy shapes of the Arabic language that I decided I had to learn. I studied a lot about the Middle East, and Russia, when I was in university. I always expected to become an academic, but my draft board deemed otherwise; I was drafted and sent into intelligence work. I had an extraordinary chance to learn about the Middle East first hand while serving as a CIA operations officer all over—Turkey, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Afghanistan and Hong Kong for two decades. It was an education in itself, and a chance to travel and learn a lot of languages, which I loved. I then ‘came in from the cold’ and was appointed a top analyst at CIA for global forecasting.” He retired from the CIA in 1987 but continues to write about the Middle East for various think tanks.

According to some of Fuller’s writings, he advised the administrations of both President Ronald Reagan and President Bill Clinton to use Muslim extremists to fight the former Soviet Union. “Fuller knew that the Northern Caucasus was full of angry young Muslim Salafists who could be recruited, along with jihadists from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and other Middle Eastern countries whose people were angry at the Russians. All of these recruits could be trained in techniques of guerilla insurgency and sent to fight against the Soviets in occupied Afghanistan. These soldiers were called mujahedin. CIA-trained mujahedin operated later in Chechnya, Dagestan, and other Muslim-occupied areas of the former Soviet Union and Afghanistan. In fact, one of them was a Saudi named Osama bin Laden.

It remains unclear how Ruslan and Fuller met, but there is no question that they became close. Fuller now says that his daughter was married to Ruslan for about five years and spent a year living with him in Bishkek—one of the cities where the Tsarnaev family had lived before immigrating to the United States.
Inexplicably, the siblings traveled to Turkey to make the trip to the United States, rather than fly out of Moscow; they arrived in the United States on July 19, 2003. It is worth noting that Fuller had lived in Turkey extensively and wrote a book about the region, The New Turkish Republic: Turkey as a Pivotal State in the Muslim World, that was published five years later.

“A strange question would emerge in 2016 when Tamerlan’s immigration records were released after a Freedom of Information Act Request was granted, nearly three years after a similar request made by members of Congress was denied by DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano.
Both were dated July 10, 2003. But the photo attached to one form showed a blue-eyed man who did not resemble Tamerlan at all. The photo stapled to the other form showed the sixteen-year-old Tamerlan. Both men were photographed wearing identical patterned shirts with black collars, something the State Department—which perhaps not coincidentally oversees the CIA—has yet to explain.[/b]

Two copies of Tamerlan's immigration file. The one one the left looks like Tamerlan, the one one right does not. They are the exact same file so one must have been tampered with. It looks like the one on the left.

So let's recap, the Tsarnaev family was in the US because a Graham Fuller wanted them there:

Graham Fuller is supposedly the man who convinced CIA Director Bill Casey and the Reagan Administration to recruit fundamentalist Muslim Salafists or Jihadists from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and elsewhere, train them in techniques of guerilla insurgency and send them against the Soviet-occupied Afghanistan. And was the Kabul station chief up until the Soviets invasion of Afghanistan. Not well reported on (for obvious reasons) was that Mujahadeen fighters were leading attacks out of Afghanistan against the Soviet Union proper in a succesful bid to draw the Soviets into "their own Vietnam." It seems inconvievable that Fuller did not at minimum know about these attacks, if not materially support them.

Fuller was also a key CIA figure in convincing the Reagan Administration to tip the balance in the eight-year-long Iran-Iraq war by using Israel to channel weapons to Iran in what became the Iran-Contra Affair. As well, in 1999, around the time his daughter Samantha and “Uncle” Ruslan Tsarnaev lived at his home near Washington, Fuller, former Deputy Director of the CIA’s National Council on Intelligence, then a senior figure at the Pentagon and CIA-linked RAND corporation, advocated using Muslim forces to further US interests in Central Asia. Stating:
“The policy of guiding the evolution of Islam and of helping them against our adversaries worked marvelously well in Afghanistan against [the Russians]. The same doctrines can still be used to destabilize what remains of Russian power, and especially to counter the Chinese influence in Central Asia.”

We should also note that Ruslan has worked in the past for companies tied to Dick Cheney’s Halliburton as well as a “consultant” in Kazakhstan with the State Department’s USAID which has been identified as a CIA front.

Also, why would you fake the immigration documents, unless you knew you were grooming an asset?

Shortly after the move, Ruslan moves to D.C. Zubeidat becomes a devout fundamentalist, and Tamerlan gets arrested for beating his girlfriend, they break up and he starts a new relationship with Katherine Russell. Her mother is horrified in 2010 when Katherine starts wearing a hijab and begins studying the Quran.

quote:

Tamerlan was not just verbally and physically abusive; he was also a womanizer who cheated on Katherine repeatedly. The cheating came as a relief to (Kathrine's mother) Judy, she said: “I didn’t really want her to be with him. I didn’t think they were a good match. He didn’t seem to have any—[pause]. The only thing he had passion about, what really was driving him was boxing at that point.
Tamerlan may have started a new life with Katherine—growing a five-inch beard and beginning to abstain from drugs and alcohol like a good Muslim—but his arrest for domestic violence against Nadine continued to haunt him. In fact, the arrest made him ineligible for US citizenship for five years. [...] That was a devastating blow for someone who dreamed of fighting in the Olympic games as a member of the US boxing team.

Tamerlan started keeping a journal with entries on Islam and his life. In one he wrote: “Now I live because I’m a warrior . . . and someday I want to stand before the One. The mujahedeen spent a long time living in a dream. And is slowly waking up.” He wanted to wake up his brother, Dzhokhar, who was living too much like an infidel, dealing marijuana at his college (U. Mass. Dartmouth) and partying unrelentingly, sometimes with Tamerlan’s old friends.

Investigators believe that Tamerlan woke his inner mujahedin with his participation in a grisly triple homicide that took place on the ten-year anniversary of 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Brendan Mess lived in an apartment in Waltham, dating a "smoking hot" Sudanese woman named Hibatalla Eltilib. Hiba had recently been trying to convert Brendan to Islam, and he was unreceptive. During one fight she exploded and threw beer bottles and knives at him, and he kicked her out.

quote:

Erik Weissman was excited when he got to Brendan’s. It was going to be their first boys’ night in a while. Brendan and Erik had been friends for a long time, even though Brendan was twenty-five and Erik thirty-one. Both men were from Cambridge and had graduated from Cambridge Rindge and Latin. Raphael “Rafi” Teken—at thirty-seven, the oldest of the group of friends[..] All three were regulars at Wai Kru, the mixed martial arts gym in nearby Brighton that Tamerlan Tsarnaev also frequented. Tonight the boys planned to smoke weed and stay in. Rafi had never been a fan of Hiba either, so when Erik walked in, they high-fived each other that the crazy bitch was gone and they could go back to the lifestyle they liked.
Erik owed a lot of people money for the drugs that he was supposed to sell, narcotics that had been seized by the police in the January raid. One of his suppliers was a dangerous Armenian named Safwan Madarati. He had a lot of connections to the dirty Watertown cops who had been arrested on May 25, months after Weissman’s stash had been discovered by his landlord and then the drug unit of the BPD. One of those dirty cops had even been captured telling Madarati in a wiretapped phone call: “You need to lie low. Someone is making you out to be the biggest mule in Massachusetts. The rats were talking.” That cop, Robert Velasquez-Johnson, was right. The rats were talking. In May the US Attorney’s office unsealed an indictment after the arrests of Madarati and eighteen others involved in his distribution network, whose activities included drug dealing, money laundering, and extortion across the country—in California, Florida, Maine, New York, and Nevada—and into Canada.

Madarati’s arrest had international implications. The dirty Watertown cop had warned him that his case involved agents from the DHS’s US Immigration and Customs Enforcement drug unit, an elite squad designed to investigate narcotics trafficking that funded overseas terrorism—which clearly included Madarati’s ties to an Eritrean crew of narcotics traffickers in Portland, Maine. Agents assigned to Immigration and Customs Enforcement were concerned that the Portland dealers might be sending proceeds back to relatives connected to Al Qaeda’s Somalia-based outfit Al Shabab.

Erik was all too aware that Madarati probably thought he was one of those rats, which was why he and his drug dealing associates in nearby Waltham were lying low and hiding out.
Erik, Brendan, and Rafi shared more than just a propensity for violence and pot. They were prolific marijuana dealers, and some of their best customers hung out at Wai Kru. That was where they would meet up with one of Brendan’s closest friends, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who usually traveled with another Chechen named Ibragim Todashev.
“I didn’t hear a thing until the girl was screaming,” a Harding Avenue resident would tell reporters and police on the evening of September 12, 2011, as police lights lit up the narrow dead-end street with blue and white strobes. “She was in the street yelling, ‘they’re all dead. There’s so much blood.’”

The girl was Hiba Eltilib, and she had run crying out of her estranged boyfriend’s apartment, her feet splattered with blood. She had flown back from Florida that morning, hoping to make things right with Brendan. When she landed she called his cell phone. No answer. She rang the house phone—again, nothing. She jumped in a cab to 12 Harding Avenue and walked into the scene of a massacre.

Brendan’s body was face down on the floor near a door in the kitchen. It looked like someone had grabbed his hair as he ran toward the exit and raked a machete or sharp knife against his throat with enough force to nearly cut his head off. Erik’s throat had been slashed the same way. Then his penis had been cut off and tossed onto his face. Rafi had been killed in a similar ritualistic fashion, gruesomely sexually mutilated and nearly decapitated by what prosecutors would call a “blunt object.” It was likely a machete, multiple police sources said. All of the bodies were sprinkled with marijuana, and on a table was five thousand dollars in cash.

“Oh my God,” exclaimed a uniformed Waltham policeman who was one of the first officers to arrive on the scene. “It looks like an Al Qaeda training video in here.” The date was not lost on the officer either: the tenth anniversary of the bloodiest jihadi attack on the United States. None of the weed was gone, and the cash had not been taken. Clearly the massacre in the suburban apartment was meant as a message, albeit an indecipherable one at that point. Investigators believed that the murders had happened sometime between 9:00 P.M. and midnight. The last call placed from the apartment had been made from Erik’s cell phone at 8:54 P.M. Erik had called a neighborhood restaurant, Gerry’s Italian Kitchen, to order three chicken parmigiana dinners, three meatballs, and three sausages. When the deliverywoman rang the doorbell twenty minutes later, no one responded. Calls placed to Erik’s cell phone went unanswered. Hiba discovered the bodies the next morning.

The bloodbath at 12 Harding Avenue could not be written off as the killings of three drug dealers who had pissed off the wrong machete-wielding thugs. It was clearly much more than that—especially given the sexual mutilation of the two Jewish victims, sources said.

But Tamerlan was conspicuously absent from the service and the funeral. “It’s no coincidence that the last time I saw my friend Brendan alive he was walking out of that fight with that kid Tam,” said Wood. “I really thought I would have been coaching that kid [Brendan] in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Brendan’s no saint, he liked to party. But nothing that he was into should have taken him to his end.”

Wood was not the only one who found Tamerlan’s failure to pay his respects strange. Brendan’s only brother was extremely concerned and passed the information about Tamerlan along to investigators. He also noticed that his brother’s girlfriend had left town after the murders, which fueled suspicions about her hair-trigger temper and close association with Tamerlan. “She’s shady and she’s lying,” Dylan said shortly after the murders. “So is her friend Tam.”

Furthermore, cops and many customers who used the Gerry’s Italian Kitchen’s delivery service remembered that Tamerlan was one of the many drivers who worked for the restaurant under the table. Managers of Gerry’s denied that, but there were scores of people—including Waltham police officers—who swore that Tamerlan had delivered the restaurant’s food to their offices and homes. But for some inexplicable reason, despite his name’s having been mentioned to the state troopers assigned to the Middlesex County District Attorney and to a Waltham detective working on the murders, Tamerlan was never a suspect.

That reason, some seasoned investigators said (on background, because the unsolved triple homicides are an open investigation) is because he was too valuable as an asset working for the federal government on a drug case with ties to overseas terrorism, and as an informant who had infiltrated a mosque right around the corner from his house that had ties to radical Islam and convicted terrorists.

Tamerlan was a handsome multilingual US resident desperate for American citizenship. Federal investigators had been assigned to take down a crew of Muslim multinational immigrants who were selling crack cocaine all over New England and sending the proceeds overseas. The men bought the drugs from Madarati and others in Boston, according to court records, and brought them to Portland, Maine. Confidential informants became part of the case, dubbed by the FBI and DHS "Operation Run This Town."

One of the operation’s targets was a former Cambridge resident named Hamadi Hassan, who had moved to Portland. Like Tamerlan, Hassan was in his twenties, and he had lived around the corner from the Tsarnaevs until he moved to Maine in 2010. Federal records filed in Hassan’s case show phone calls between him and an informant that included references to Wai Kru, the place that connected the three murdered men, Tamerlan, and Ibragim Todashev. It would take eighteen months for the public to learn the identities of the two men that [Middlesex County District Attorney Gerard] Leone had talked about at the press conference: the ones [two men] that walked out alive, leaving three dead men behind. Ibragim confessed to the murders in May 2013, but he would not get a chance to take the stand in the case.

Ibragim’s involvement should have been obvious. He had fled Boston the night of the murders and headed to Florida “real fast,” as his roommate would later tell the FBI. Tamerlan left the country four months later, in January 2012, for his motherland—the very place that the Federal Security Service of Russia (FSB), the modern equivalent of the old Soviet KGB, had warned the FBI and the CIA he would head to in a series of communications that began in March 2011.

The Russians were very worried about Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his crazy mother, Zubeidat, and, in an unusual move, they shared their concerns with their counterterrorism counterparts in the United States. [...] Still, on March 4, 2011, the FSB sent its first message about Tamerlan and Zubeidat to the FBI’s legal attaché (LEGAT) in Moscow, and later it sent the same letter to the CIA. The letter, which to this day the FBI refuses to release, was read by FSB officials to a Congressional delegation that included Representative William Keating, a Democrat from Massachusetts and a former prosecutor. “I asked them for a copy and they said, ‘Well, can’t you get it from your own people?’ They read to me that document . . . and it was amazing in its detail dealing with Tamerlan Tsarnaev,” Keating said.
The letter described intercepted text messages between Tamerlan; his mother; and Magomed Kartashov, her second cousin—a former Dagestan police officer who had become a prominent Islamist and leader of a group called Union of the Just (a Muslim advocacy group that has been banned in Russia because of its affiliations with Muslim militants) in their homeland that sympathized with radical Islamic insurgents who had declared war against Vladimir Putin’s Russian forces.
Around the same time the FSB picked up and interrogated a suspected [Canadian-Chechen terrorist] named William Plotnikov. Plotnikov gave up some of his fellow English-speaking jihadis under questioning. One of them was Tamerlan Tsarnaev. [...] Five days after the FSB sent its letter, the legal attaché in Moscow sent a letter to the FSB acknowledging receipt of the information and requesting that the FBI be kept in the loop, according to a report released in April 2014 by the Office of the Inspector General for the Intelligence Community. “According to available information,” the report stated, “the LEGAT did not coordinate with or notify the CIA in March 2011 after receiving the lead information concerning the Tsarnaevs.” However, according to a declassified summary of the report (which has not been fully released as of September 2016), “In September 2011, the FSB provided the CIA information on Tamerlan Tsarnaev that was substantively identical to the information the FSB had provided to the FBI in March 2011. In October 2011, the CIA provided information obtained from the FSB to the National Counterterrorism Center [NCTC] for watchlisting purposes, and to the FBI, DHS, and the Department of State for their information. Upon NCTC’s receipt of the information, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was added to the terrorist watchlist.

Months later, with both the CIA and the FBI notified about his increasingly dangerous and radical views, Tamerlan was headed to Russia, where he would meet the very men the FSB had warned the American counterterrorism officials about : Plotnikov, the extremist, and Tamerlan’s mother’s cousin, Magomed.

Strangely, evidence would later show that Tamerlan somehow clandestinely recorded many of the conversations he had with that cousin, without his cousin’s knowledge—recordings that would eventually be played by defense attorneys for jurors in the trial of his brother

Tamerlan departed from Boston’s Logan Airport and connected at JFK for a flight to Russia. He landed at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport on January 21, 2012. By then he was on two different terrorist watch lists. The first was Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment [TIDE] database, which is the repository of all international terrorist identifier information shared by the FBI, CIA, Defense Intelligence Agency, NSA and maintained by the National Counterterrorism Center. The NCTC maintains TIDE by adding biographical or biometric identifiers. The second was TECS, which is not an acronym but takes its name from an outdated system of identification checks formerly run by the now-defunct federal agency Treasury Enforcement Communication System. [...] Despite Tamerlan’s being on both of those lists, he still left Boston’s Logan Airport without a hitch.

Then there was the odd list of aliases Tsarnaev has used over the years. For example, among the names found in Tamerlan’s declassified DHS US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) file were Anzorvich Tsarnaev, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, and Tamerlan Tsarnaeu (each of which had both of the birthdates above).

Finally, there was the name he used in Russia, the one he introduced himself by there: Muaz Tsarnaev (in tribute to a celebrated Dagestani rebel named Emir Muaz)—which also appeared with both birthdates in his USCIS paperwork. After getting the FSB’s letter, David Cedarleaf, the special agent in the counterterrorism unit of the FBI’s Boston field office, had been assigned to conduct what the FBI called a “threat assessment” based on the information that FSB had shared with both the bureau and the agency regarding Tamerlan’s and his mother’s increasing extremism. Cedarleaf insisted that Tamerlan did not pose a threat and closed the case in June 2011, the FBI now says.

In the months before Tamerlan left Boston for Russia, Cedarleaf interviewed Tamerlan and his parents (Zubeidat and Anzor) and reported his findings, the Office of the Inspector General noted. He also reported that Cedarleaf did not contact Tamerlan’s wife (Katherine Russell, also known as Karima Tsarnaeva)—at least, notes about any contact with her never became part of any official file. Nor did Cedarleaf visit the controversial Prospect Street mosque in Cambridge where Tamerlan prayed, despite its connections to radical Islamists—including its founder, Abdurahman M. Alamoudi, who would later be sentenced to twenty-three years in prison for, among other crimes, giving money to Al Qaeda leaders.
Still, none of Cedarleaf’s findings from the March 2011 investigation into the Tsarnaevs, which the FBI would later say had been closed three months later, were shared—not with the police in Cambridge, where the Tsarnaevs lived, and not with the police in Boston, who ran the Boston Regional Intelligence Center. Cedarleaf didn’t even share the information with his JTTF counterparts from the DHS or his local police partners. The FBI’s Counterterrorism Division isn’t called the “spook squad” for nothing. The agents in it operated in total autonomy, sometimes away from the prying eyes of their own bosses. Cedarleaf was part of an even more secretive unit nicknamed “the red brigade,” a tightknit crew with military backgrounds whose members worked and socialized together outside of the circles that most law enforcement officials worked in. They all happened to have reddish hair.
The Boston FBI field office sent a letter to the FSB dated August 28, 2011, through its legal attaché in Russia that its agents found “nothing derogatory” about the Tsarnaevs. Still, inexplicably, despite any lack of derogatory information, Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s name was added to TECS on May 22, 2011, by the customs agent from Boston assigned to the Joint Terrorism Task Force, Jim Bailey.[/b] Tamerlan’s name was added with his correct date of birth: October 26, 1986. Russian counterterrorism officials added his name, and the multiple aliases that Russian law enforcement agencies had dug up for him, to the TIDE database in October 2011. A USCIS Form I-912, which would waive fees connected to processing an immigrant’s naturalization, showed up in Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s A-file. On the form, signed by Tamerlan Tsarnaev on August 28, 2012—just weeks after his return from Russia—there is a column “name of agency awarding benefit.” Inexplicably, the name of that agency is redacted on the form. The “date benefit was awarded,” however, was not. It reads: “APPX. 10/2011”—a month after the Waltham triple murders.
When Tamerlan left the United States for Russia just months later, his presence on those lists should have raised alarm bells. Somehow it didn’t. Defense attorneys for Dzhokhar would soon make an accusation in a court filing, writing that “the FBI made more than one visit to talk with Anzor, Zubeidat and Tamerlan, questioned Tamerlan about his internet searches, and asked him to be an informant,” a claim the FBI would quickly deny: “[...] The FBI also interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011.”

All of this was suspicious. No one would dismiss such detailed information about a man that seemed to be exactly the sort of dangerous person that FBI Director James Comey warned about, who posed the greatest threat to the US homeland: an American jihadi. The multiple names and dates of birth and Tamerlan’s ability to travel to a hotbed of terrorism without an American passport while simultaneously being on two terror watch lists are extraordinary, especially since the FSB had specifically warned the FBI about him. Law enforcement officials in Massachusetts began to say that Tamerlan was an informant for the feds, a spy sent to Russia to help track and kill the men he was in contact with. They believed that he was working for the US government, motivated by the promise of citizenship.

These suspicions soon seemed to be corroborated. Plotnikov was tracked to a terrorist compound in Dagestan and killed. So was another militant with ties to radical Islam. And another man on counterterrorism officials’ radar, Magomed Kartashov, the leader of an Islamic organization in Dagestan called Union of the Just, and his mother’s second cousin—the man that Tamerlan had recorded his conversations with—would be prosecuted.
Shortly after the bombings, that cousin was jailed in a Russian penal colony, which is where the FBI tracked him down to interview him in the weeks after the Boston Marathon bombings.

Muslim informants have become a controversial topic since 9/11. It is no secret that the same techniques the FBI used to flip informants in the drug wars were redirected toward finding so-called mosque crawlers to inform on radical Muslims after 9/11. [...] The vaunted NYPD Intelligence Division—working alongside intelligence officers in the NSA, caseworkers in the CIA, and agents in the FBI, with the help of Muslim patriots—uncovered jihadi-inspired plots and led to multiple criminal prosecutions.”

“Several of those types of plots involved the mosque where Tamerlan Tsarnaev underwent a transformation from a womanizing Euro trash party boy to a pious Muslim, albeit one who first picked up the Quran only in 2010, when he was twenty-four years old.

Tamerlan was a perfect candidate for recruitment by the US government. Broke, desperate for citizenship, and with a new wife and baby girl to take care of, he spoke fluent English, Russian, and a dialect of Chechen.”

Bonus Lol:

quote:

The Islamic Society of Boston was started in 1982 by a loose association of Muslim student organizations [...]. One of the students involved was Abdurahman Alamoudi, who would become the founder of the society’s first mosque, at a building on Prospect Street that had been a Knights of Columbus hall. Alamoudi is currently serving twenty-three years for terrorism after being arrested in 2003 in London on US federal charges that he had funneled money to Al Qaeda. He eventually pleaded guilty to three charges of illegal financial transactions with the Libyan government, unlawful procurement of citizenship, impeding administration of the Internal Revenue Service, and receiving more than $500,000 in cash from Libyan officials as part of a bizarre plot to assassinate a Saudi prince.

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi wanted Prince Abdullah killed after a 2003 Arab League summit at which Gadhafi felt he had been insulted. At one point during the summit, Abdullah wagged a finger at Gadhafi and said, “Your lies precede you, while the grave is ahead of you.”10 Gadhafi determined that the prince had to die, and Alamoudi was convicted of helping plan his assassination. That conviction came as an embarrassment to Pentagon officials and two US administrations: as the founder of the American Muslim Council, Alamoudi visited the White House during the administration of President Bill Clinton to promote a program that brought imams into the US military. He also participated in 2000 in a group discussion with Muslim activists in Texas and George W. Bush in 2000, during Bush’s presidential campaign. He posed for selfies with both former US presidents.

quote:

“Tamerlan knew a lot about Magomed from his mother, who had been texting with him. He didn’t wait long to ask Magomed to help him achieve the goal that had brought him to Russia. He told Magomed: “I want to go into the forests. I want to train. I want to go to Syria. I came here to get involved in jihad.”
It sounded at first like boasting from a spoiled American. But Tamerlan was puffed up as if he had already been a mujahedin, and he told Magomed that he had followed one segment of the Quran that urged Muslims to follow orders like “cut off their heads and make them kneel in front of you.” That is exactly what investigators believe happened to the three men in Waltham months earlier.”

Magomed was suspicious of Tamerlan's new-found devotion. He knew his parents weren't particularly devout. Nor was he as radical as Tamerlan seemed to think we was.
Also at this time Zebeidat returns to Dagestan, after getting arrested for shoplifting $1,600 in designer clothes. Why a fundamentalist in a burka would want such clothes casts some doubt into the legitimacy of her religious devotion.

quote:

Magomed was not a bomber or a beheader of infidels. But he certainly didn’t condemn his Muslim brethren who used violence as a tool. Those men included Mamakaev Rizvan, the former husband of Tamerlan’s sister Bella—another person whom the FSB had found was exchanging frightening text messages with his former mother-in-law supporting jihad. The FSB warned the FBI that Mamakaev was considered an extremist, a warning that the FBI would dismiss as questionable intelligence because the text messages had been obtained illegally.(...ok)
Tamerlan’s mother had another former son-in-law who traveled with Tamerlan and Mamakaev on those visits-Elmirza Khozhugov, Ailina’s (Tamerlan's sister) former husband, to whom she had been introduced by her Uncle Ruslan.

:dudsmile:

“Neither of Tamerlan’s former brothers-in-law nor his mother’s cousin traveled with Elmirza to Georgia to attend an event run by the Jamestown Foundation, a think tank in Washington, D.C., that was created in 1984 by a former head of the CIA. Graham Fuller, the CIA agent with ties to Ruslan, contributed to the foundation as an analyst. So did Brian Glyn Williams, a former CIA agent who was then an associate professor of Islamic history at UMass/Dartmouth, the school Dzhokhar had enrolled in a year before, in September 2011.

Investigative reporters in Russia obtained a document—drafted by Colonel Grigory Chanturia of the main security service of the Georgian Ministry of Internal Affairs—that said Tamerlan had been spotted at the Jamestown event, run in conjunction with the Kavkaz. The Jamestown Foundation categorically rejected the Russian investigative reports, calling them “entirely false and groundless,” and added: “Our organization has never had any contact with the Tsarnaev brothers, and we have no record or knowledge of either of them ever attending any Jamestown event in Washington, DC, or elsewhere.”

“Nonetheless, when it came to the CIA and the Tsarnaev family there seemed to be a lot of coincidental overlaps. Glyn Williams even posted photos of his trip to Georgia that summer on the website,16 where he boasted of his CIA past as a field operative in Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and elsewhere in Central Asia in the early 2000s, calling himself an expert on suicide bombers. He told South Coast Today, a small Massachusetts newspaper, that he had been in touch with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who had e-mailed him to begin a discussion about Chechnya when he was still a high school student at Cambridge Rindge and Latin, saying: “That kid and his brother identified with the Chechen struggle.” (Holy loving poo poo)

Like Fuller, Glyn Williams often sympathized with the struggles of Muslims in Russia’s unrelenting fight against Islamic extremists—which, some argued, under Vladimir Putin was violent and overzealous.
Those struggles would become common laments of Tamerlan that, before long, were echoed by his little brother, Dzhokhar.”

:dudsmile:

quote:

“I saw everything on Russian television,” Magomed told the two FBI special agents who visited the penal colony where he was being held on June 5, 2013. The FSB had already been there to interview him weeks earlier.

“I had a thought,” Magomed said to the FBI agents. “It could have been Tamerlan. When Tamerlan arrived in Russia he was already thinking about jihad and looking to do something.”

He explained to the FBI agents that the videos of the American Al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and the posts on the Kavkaz Center had inspired Tamerlan long before he traveled to Dagestan. Then Magomed mentioned Tamerlan’s going to visit a friend in Utamysh, Dagestan, “in the forests.” That visit did not end well for Tamerlan’s friend Plotnikov.

On the wikipedia on the Jamestown Foundation:

quote:

The Jamestown Foundation is a Washington, D.C.-based institute for research and analysis. Founded in 1984 as a platform to support Soviet defectors, its stated mission today is to inform and educate policy makers about events and trends, which it regards as being of current strategic importance to the United States. Jamestown publishes publications that focus on China, Russia, Eurasia, and global terrorism.
The CIA Director William J. Casey helped back the formation of The Jamestown Foundation, agreeing with its complaints that the U.S. intelligence community did not provide sufficient funding of Soviet bloc defectors.[3][4] The foundation, initially also dedicated to supporting Soviet dissidents, enabled the defectors from the Eastern Bloc to earn extra money by lecturing and writing.
In the past, Jamestown's board of directors has included Zbigniew Brzezinski, former National Security Advisor to U.S. President Jimmy Carter.[7] Jamestown's current board includes Michael Carpenter, the managing director of the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement. Carpenter previously served in the Pentagon as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense and in the White House as a foreign policy advisor to Vice President Joe Biden as well as on the National Security Council as Director for Russia. Jamestown's board also includes Michael G. Vickers, who previously served as the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and whose role at the Central Intelligence Agency during the Soviet–Afghan War was famously featured in George Crile's 2003 book Charlie Wilson's War. [8]
Currently, its primary focus is on China, Eurasia, Russia and global terrorism. As of 2008, its publications were Eurasia Daily Monitor,[13] Terrorism Monitor,[14] and China Brief.[15] Previous publications included Eurasia Security Trends, Fortnight in Review, North Korea Review, Russia and Eurasia Review, Russia's Week, Spotlight on Terror, North Caucasus Weekly, (formerly Chechnya Weekly)[16] and Recent From Turkey[17] and Terrorism Focus. Along with these publications, Jamestown produces occasional reports[18] and books.[19]

In 2018, it was embroiled in a scandal relating to one of the publications released by The Jamestown Foundation's publishing house. Strategies for Dealing with Russia under Late-Putin contained an excerpt suggesting that American policy should take measures to exacerbate and take advantage of Russia's demographic issues, insinuating that ethnic Russians are a problem for national security.[20] A spokesman balked at the accusations of Russophobia, calling the quote "pulled wildly out of context."
In 2009 Russian government accused the research institute of spreading anti-Russian propaganda by hosting a debate on violence in the Russia's turbulent region of Ingushetia. According to a statement by the Foreign Ministry of Russia: "Organisers again and again resorted to deliberately spreading slander about the situation in Chechnya and other republics of the Russian North Caucasus using the services of supporters of terrorists and pseudo-experts. Speakers were given carte blanche to spread extremist propaganda, incite ethnic and inter-religious discord."

And the Kavkaz center:

quote:

The Kavkaz Center (KC; Russian: Кавказ-центр, romanized: Kavkaz-centr, lit. 'Caucasus Center') is a privately run website/portal which aims to be "a Chechen internet agency which is independent, international and Islamic".[1] The stated mission of the site is to report events related to Chechnya and also to "provide international news agencies with news-letters, background information and assistance in making independent journalistic work in Caucasus".

Since its inception it has broadcast views supporting independence of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria and later the Caucasian Emirate and the mujahideen worldwide. The website is published in five languages: English, Arabic, Ukrainian, Russian, and Turkish.
According to rulings of the judicial bodies of the Russian Federation, materials published on the site are extremist and incite ethnic hatred.[11] It was therefore included in the Federal List of Extremist Materials per Russian internet censorship law and blocked for viewing from Russia

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
didn’t realize Epstein had an address in the UP

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

don't forget it was Ibragim Todashev who was executed shot by the FBI during an unrecorded interview where he had just confessed everything before supposedly attacking the armed FBI agents with a "pipe or something" "forcing" them to shot him

quote:

On the afternoon of May 22, 2013, law enforcement officers, including FBI special agent Aaron McFarlane from the Boston field office and two Massachusetts State Police (MSP) troopers, Curtis Cinelli and Joel Gagne, arrived at Ibragim Todashev's apartment in Orlando, Florida, and interviewed Todashev for approximately eight hours in his living room.[20] NPR reporter Susan Zalkind stated that Todashev's friend Khusen Taramov waited outside Todashev's apartment during the interrogation, and was told to leave an hour before Todashev was shot.[11] According to Todashev's father, Abdulbaki, the questioning took place two days before his scheduled flight to Russia; Abdulbaki's American attorney Eric Ludin said Ibragim Todashev had undergone multiple prior interrogations in Florida and was promised this would be the last one, and had canceled a planned trip to Chechnya earlier in May on the advice of the FBI.[21][22] Todashev was questioned by the FBI agent regarding the 2011 Waltham murders and his connections to the Boston bombings suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev;[4][23] both Todashev and Tsarnaev had trained at the Wai Kru MMA Gym and lived close to each other in Cambridge, Massachusetts.[7] The investigators later said that Todashev implicated both himself and Tamerlan Tsarnaev in the murders during the questioning soon after midnight. They reported that Todashev was beginning to write a formal statement when he asked to take a break, and then suddenly attacked the agent.[4][23] Todashev was shot multiple times and killed.[4][24][25]

Officials initially claimed that Todashev picked up a knife or attempted to grab a samurai sword from the wall, but later said that it was unclear whether this was the case; one source said it was "a knife or a pipe or something". A number of later reports said that he was unarmed.[24][25][26][27] Some earlier accounts implied that the FBI agent was alone with Todashev at the time of the shooting.[25] Following Todashev's death, his father showed photographs to reporters in Moscow that he said demonstrated his son had been shot at point-blank range in the head.[28] According to the account of an unnamed law enforcement official, Todashev knocked the interrogating agent to the ground with a table, and then lunged at him with a metal pole, or possibly a broomstick.[29] In this account there was one detective in the room (who did not fire) besides the FBI agent.[29] The agent sustained minor injuries requiring stitches.
On July 16, the release of Todashev's autopsy report, completed by a Florida medical examiner's office, was blocked by the FBI because the "case was still under active investigation."
Reports after the shooting noted that Aaron McFarlane, the agent who killed Todashev, had been the subject of two police-brutality lawsuits and four internal-affairs investigations while at the Oakland Police Department, and had claimed his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination at a police corruption trial

totally normal stuff there, case closed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sonatinas posted:

didn’t realize Epstein had an address in the UP

Interlochen is where Epstein had his cabin at the children's music camp that he used to pick victims

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffrey-epstein-had-his-own-lodge-at-interlochens-prestigious-arts-camp-for-kids-in-michigan

quote:

But during the 1990s, Epstein apparently had another getaway, at a Michigan cabin. There, the 66-year-old financier was a donor to the revered Interlochen Center for the Arts, a fine-arts boarding school and camp, and had bankrolled the “Jeffrey Epstein Scholarship Lodge” on its campus.

Indeed, The Daily Beast has discovered that Epstein listed this rental lodge in his infamous Little Black Book—a veritable rolodex of famous faces, from President Donald Trump and his lawyer Alan Dershowitz, to Harvey Weinstein’s brother Bob and even Courtney Love. The address book also contained the names of a pair of students who had attended Interlochen.

Beside the words “Michigan Home” and “Epstein Lodge” in the Little Black Book were the P.O. Box and address for Interlochen, along with three area phone numbers.

And in August 1998, Epstein and his alleged madam, British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell, took a five-day jaunt to Traverse City, Michigan, which is a short drive from the school, along with two other passengers, according to flight records.
The mother of soap-opera actress Nadia Bjorlin claimed Epstein targeted her daughter when she was a 13-year-old student at Interlochen in 1994.

“She was at school at the famed Interlochen Music Center in Michigan when she met Epstein,” Fary Bjorlin told The Daily Mail in 2011, adding, “My daughter was a singer. She was a baby. She was a skinny little girl, not mature for her age. She was 13, but everyone thought she was 9 or 10.”

Fary said she believed Nadia was an easy target for Epstein because the girl’s father, classical conductor Ulf Bjorlin, died the year before. “Epstein was a big donor and he heard about Nadia and that her father had died, so she was vulnerable, and he contacted her. He said, ‘Here’s my number,’ Fary said, according to The Daily Mail.

Asked about Fary’s claims, Laidlaw said, “I can verify that Nadia Bjorlin is an alumna of Interlochen Arts Camp. We have no information about the events that have been reported in this article. As stated, we have no record of any complaint raised against Mr. Epstein at Interlochen.”

Fary, Nadia, and her manager did not return messages left by The Daily Beast. Two of Epstein’s attorneys did not return requests for comment.

Fary said Maxwell got to know her and Nadia, and tried to set up a meeting with Nadia and Epstein, who wanted to mentor her. “I trusted Ghislaine, she was like a mother. She was always calling my house,” Fary told the British tabloid.

But Fary said she wouldn’t let Nadia get involved with Epstein. “What sort of a man approaches a young girl and asks to meet her?” Fary told the tabloid.

“Ghislaine didn’t want me to meet Epstein, but I did anyway, and asked what he wanted with Nadia,” the mother said. “He said he wanted to help her singing career. He said, ‘I’d like to be like a godfather.’ It felt creepy.”

“I kept Nadia away from him. She never met him alone. She never went anywhere with him.”

Epstein has long billed himself as a philanthropist to the arts, science, and education.

As The Daily Beast first revealed, Epstein’s secret charity Gratitude America, Ltd. also funded the Hewitt School, an elite private girls school in Manhattan; Harvard’s theater troupe, The Hasty Pudding Institute; the Film Society of Lincoln Center; and MET Orchestra Musicians. Records show Epstein’s now-defunct nonprofit, the COUQ Foundation, donated to a host of arts institutions during the mid-aughts, including the New School, the Tribeca Film Institute, and Ballet Florida.

But well before Epstein issued press releases on his largesse, he was listed as a donor to Interlochen in school newsletters from 1990 to 1999. (Laidlaw said Epstein’s lifetime giving to the institution was less than $500,000.)

In the spring of 1991, under the headline “New York City Alumni Enjoy Several Successful Events,” an article stated that Interlochen’s New York alumni network held a gala “at the offices of Jeffrey E. Epstein & Company.”

“More than 175 people attended including several members of the Interlochen administration. Chamber music was performed by alumni ensembles and it was an elegant evening enjoyed by all,” the newsletter said. “The event was such a success that Jeffrey E. Epstein has graciously agreed to underwrite a second event…”

The story indicated a future reception would take place at “Jeffrey E. Epstein & Company, 457 Madison Avenue between 50th and 51st.”

Additionally, in February 1992, Epstein hosted a pre-concert reception on Interlochen’s behalf at the Degas Room of New York’s then Radisson-owned Empire Hotel. “Further documentation notes that Mr. Epstein, himself, did not attend the event, though he contributed funds to support it,” Laidlaw noted in an email.

Epstein made Interlochen news again, in the spring of 1994, for his funding of the scholarship lodge, which an article noted was stationed close to a junior girls’ camp.

“The Jeffrey Epstein Scholarship Lodge is nearing completion as the newest rental unit on Campus. Located on Penn Colony Road next to Frohlich Lodge near Junior Girls camp, the Epstein Lodge is a gift to the center from Jeffrey Epstein, a businessman from New York and a former Interlochen camper,” the Interlochen newsletter stated.

“Proceeds from the rental unit will go into a scholarship fund, providing ongoing monies for deserving students,” the article continued.

Timothy Ambrose, Interlochen’s former vice president of institutional advancement, was quoted as saying, “This will be the first new construction of handicap accessible housing on campus. We are extremely grateful that Jeffrey Epstein chose to demonstrate his commitment to Interlochen in such a profound and supportive way.”

Laidlaw told The Daily Beast that Interlochen records show Epstein stayed at this lodge for a week in August 2000.

“Per the funding agreement, he was permitted to use the lodge for up to two weeks per year. Interlochen has no record of any other use by him beyond that one week in August 2000,” Laidlaw said in an email.

The Daily Beast found one mention of Michigan in some of Epstein’s flight records. Epstein and Maxwell traveled from New Jersey’s Teterboro Airport to Traverse City, Michigan, for a five-day trip in August 1998. They left Teterboro on Aug. 7 and returned Aug. 11.

A 25-year-old woman and a fourth passenger only identified by the initials “ET” joined them on the trip. Their return flight only included Maxwell, Epstein, and “ET.” Whether Epstein and his crew stayed at Interlochen during that trip is unknown.

Timothy Ambrose is of course in the little black box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/iowa-man-arrested-firearms-found-chicago-hotel-room/story?id=78693737

gladio keeps on keepin on