Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
6 months after we first started our search we've finally finished with this nightmare process and moved in yesterday!

And promptly discovered the new roof we had just put on has the flashing installed over the shingles instead of under and needs to be fixed.

It seems the stupidity never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Water Resistant posted:

6 months after we first started our search we've finally finished with this nightmare process and moved in yesterday!

And promptly discovered the new roof we had just put on has the flashing installed over the shingles instead of under and needs to be fixed.

Interested in how you discovered this. Also good relevant username for that post...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Water Resistant posted:

Amazing. At least that should be open and shut the roofer should repair it no questions asked. They're bonded right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Interested in how you discovered this.

"Looking at the roof" should suffice just fine.

The real issue here is what else was done wrong? Because something that visible doesn't happen without a completely inexperienced crew and no oversight.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You mean like my solar installer coming to test the work their team did to find that they screwed the wiring so it won’t start up. They are asking for the final payment and I just point out the contract says it is due when the installation is complete and something that does not work because their crew can’t read a wiring diagram is pretty far from complete. Already getting the “please review us on Yelp/Google/blah blah” and the idiot on the other end was stunned into silence when I asked should I review them for the poor installation, the poor communication, the damage done to my 3 month old house because their crew didn’t take 5 seconds to think that running conduit around the front of the house would look bad, the fact that the one day install has take 3 days over 2 weeks to get to the point it will be a 4 day installation and I want the whole thing taken up and redone with their lead tech on site until it is done? They did start trying to form sentences when I said maybe I should just report all that to the BBB instead.

It all comes down to the same thing. A lot of obvious things where done poorly and now it doesn’t even work so what else has also been done poorly?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We saw a downstairs bathroom with this in the floor:

Can anyone identify what this is? It's near-ish a toilet. Is it... a sealed-up cleanout?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

PageMaster posted:

But sure if they're aren't enough houses for real estate agents anymore, but the agent that sold us our house lives in the area and hand dropped off a note saying she had a family looking at our neighborhood and would love to work with us. We just closed 3 months ago, leave us alone!

Yesterday everyone in our community received a tiny American flag with a note attached. I thought it was a sweet gesture from the HOA, but nope, a realtor wants to work with us. As of yesterday we've been here three months. After what we went through (and some of our improvements are still delayed), no way are we leaving now. We thought of this as a starter home that we'd leave after a year, which then stretched to two years, then five...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

QuarkJets posted:

Can anyone identify what this is? It's near-ish a toilet. Is it... a sealed-up cleanout?

Could it be an old drain for a claw foot tub or something?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

It’s a belly button.

You idiot.

(No clue.)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
We are under mutual agreement with our buyer. Bummed they only came up $3k and a little stunned at the other offer that had $10k in low appraisal funds they didn’t want to just use to up the offer price. They would have won and it would have easily appraised for that amount but w/e.

This market is getting stupid and I still feel lucky we sold and at the price we did even if it probably would have gone for $15k more a month or two ago.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dude just be happy the house sold and you can move into your next home.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skipdogg posted:

This. The feeling of all that poo poo no longer being your problem? :discourse:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

skipdogg posted:

We are, I’m ready to move and enjoy our new backyard this summer. Maybe put up a steel frame pool too.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

skipdogg posted:

The circle of life...

Before: it just personally offends me to pay so much money to landlords

After: The bank gets to pocket how much from me every year for the next 30 years?!?!

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 6, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BigPaddy posted:

They did start trying to form sentences when I said maybe I should just report all that to the BBB instead.
Good job holding them to the contract.

But the BBB is pretty much a more scummy Yelp for old people. It doesn't actually have any teeth.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What was the consensus on using redfin to sell? More of a pain in the rear end than finding an agent who won't pull this dual rep poo poo even though we tell them we're not into it (several of the buyer's agents we interviewed when buying tried to insist on it, and it was a nonstarter)?

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
I just saw i was probated. I really didn't notice -- I don't post often enough.

Thing is, whether it's framed as a gift or as a loan, she'd repay anyway. She's that sort of person.

You don't seem to understand, I don't like her -- at all. I really don't love her. But she is my mother. I want to help help her.

She can repay the loan, and rather easily, too. She makes rather a good deal for this area. The issue is the down payment. Asking prices are inflated at the moment, but absolutely nobody is realizing those prices. They're asking what the price of what homes sell for in the NYC suburbs -- not here.

Is she lying to me about what her situation is? Likely. It's likely her husband is lying to her, too? Nearly certain. Will she see a CPA? I will try very, very hard to make her, but she'll just as likely go back to H&R Block.

And yes, that trans person who posted about North Carolina gets it entirely. I'm not leaving northern New England, no ifs and or buts. She called my bluff and I called hers.

She knows about home owner's insurance and other associated fees. Until very recently, she's owned houses here. Multiple. She knows what owning a house means.

Edit: And I'm not certain what "the topic" I'm meant to drop is. Again, whether I frame the gift as a "gift" or as a "loan", she'd repay me, regardless.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PersonFromPorlock fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 6, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You're supposed to drop talking about mortgage fraud, jfc.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Then stop talking about. Gift, loan, or otherwise, it doesn't matter,

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Good job holding them to the contract.

But the BBB is pretty much a more scummy Yelp for old people. It doesn't actually have any teeth.

Despite having no teeth it often somehow has enough reputation to be a threat to work anyway.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

PersonFromPorlock posted:

I just saw i was probated. I really didn't notice -- I don't post often enough.

Thing is, whether it's framed as a gift or as a loan, she'd repay anyway. She's that sort of person.

You don't seem to understand, I don't like her -- at all. I really don't love her. But she is my mother. I want to help help her.

She can repay the loan, and rather easily, too. She makes rather a good deal for this area. The issue is the down payment. Asking prices are inflated at the moment, but absolutely nobody is realizing those prices. They're asking what the price of what homes sell for in the NYC suburbs -- not here.

Is she lying to me about what her situation is? Likely. It's likely her husband is lying to her, too? Nearly certain. Will she see a CPA? I will try very, very hard to make her, but she'll just as likely go back to H&R Block.

And yes, that trans person who posted about North Carolina gets it entirely. I'm not leaving northern New England, no ifs and or buts. She called my bluff and I called hers.

She knows about home owner's insurance and other associated fees. Until very recently, she's owned houses here. Multiple. She knows what owning a house means.

Edit: And I'm not certain what "the topic" I'm meant to drop is. Again, whether I frame the gift as a "gift" or as a "loan", she'd repay me, regardless.

I probably shouldn't take the bait, but just in case you're sincere here's one last try: the topic you need to drop is talking about whether the money you give your mom is a gift or a loan. No one cares how you "frame" it when you hand it to her, the only thing that matters to the discussion here is how it is reported to the mortgage lender, and we've all answered that for you twenty times over. You've explained multiple times that she will repay you no matter what - everyone here gets that, and everyone here is telling you that that means it is a loan and she is obligated to report it to the lender as such. End of story.

E; fb, but I'll leave this here because I've spelled it out plainly and if you don't get it after this I'll finally be satisfied that you're just trolling.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 6, 2021

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
Please just shut up about the whole thing, make bad decisions, whatever, but please stop seeking tacit approval for a lovely decision you are wanting to make to help your lovely mother buy a house that will legally be half owned by your somehow (?) even shittier father.

She has a place to live, your insistence on breaking the law so she can own a house is baffling, renting is a perfectly valid form of paying for shelter.

As some fun borderline thread related content- I work in a mortgages-ish related field and was reminded today of a valuation report for a property that included the phrases “barely habitable in it’s current state” and “hardly meets the definition of a dwelling” - the valuation? ~£800,000, London property is a hellscape.
And this was before the pandemic drove house prices through the roof.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Then stop talking about. Gift, loan, or otherwise, it doesn't matter,

The onus is on you to stop talking about it, holy gently caress. Just cause you're saying "well it's a gift she'd still repay cause that's just how she is" doesn't mean it's not mortgage fraud.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

As some fun borderline thread related content- I work in a mortgages-ish related field and was reminded today of a valuation report for a property that included the phrases “barely habitable in it’s current state” and “hardly meets the definition of a dwelling” - the valuation? ~£800,000, London property is a hellscape.

Sounds like some shacks in the SF Bay Area where the ground covered in debris (aka the standing house) is worth a million dollars on its own.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

I had an appraisal from a client new purchase that actually said the words, "building is a knockdown", and the lender still wanted full replacement cost special form coverage for it.

It took two phone calls to explain to them that you cant insure a building at $0, and that no we cant just place a policy anyway.

Someone with a VP title had to approve not having building coverage on a building that was being knocked down the week after closing for safety reasons.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Then stop talking about the "gift" or" loan" whatever you choose to call it. As I said before, it's an unproductive topic. Just drop it. I'll try, very hard, to get her to a CPA. Is there any other advice?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Then stop talking about the "gift" or" loan" whatever you choose to call it. As I said before, it's an unproductive topic. Just drop it. I'll try, very hard, to get her to a CPA. Is there any other advice?

No.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Here's my advice. Don't commit Mortgage Fraud. Don't discuss mortgage fraud on a public forum.

Also, you don't owe your mother anything. I pretty much severed from my entire toxic family, save my sister, and my life is 1000% better for it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Let me make this perfectly clear:

The majority of your post is simultaneously irritating/condescending/not relevant to the house purchase thread. It's more relevant to E/N than to BFC. You were given advice. You apparently don't care for that advice. Tough poo poo. The only part left that's relevant, which you KEEP BRINGING UP, is the gift vs loan. You are posting about mortgage fraud in a thread that repeatedly asked you not to.

BFC-Relevant Answer to problems with your mother/relationship to her: Don't buy her a house.
BFC-Relevant Answer to problems about whether her financials are lies or not: Don't buy her a house.
BFC-Relevant Answer to problems about whether your mother should be purchased a house: Don't buy her a house.
BFC-Relevant Answer to anything related to "but she'd pay me back the money": Regardless of what would happen under the table, her paying you back even a dime is mortgage fraud. That's the legal standard. Full stop. What you do under the table is yours to do, but stop talking about it in public in a home purchase thread.

I've queued up a week for you since you apparently missed the short one. If you come back and do this again, your next one is 30 days.

:siren: To everyone else: Let's drop the topic again. Thanks! :)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 6, 2021

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
My apologizes. I thought this was the thread for asking for mortgage advice. The only reason I keep bringing anything up is to shut up other people about it. Foolish me. I'll not bother you again.

Queue me up for whatever you like -- 30 days, 30 years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PersonFromPorlock fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 6, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you got mortgage advice, friend

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So we are possibly stuck at underwriting because I can't get a Q2 401k statement (based on past history they come about July 25th for Q2). I am not doing anything with my 401k and it really has nothing to do with the purchase but you know... stupidity? Supposed to close on the 20th...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

spwrozek posted:

So we are possibly stuck at underwriting because I can't get a Q2 401k statement (based on past history they come about July 25th for Q2). I am not doing anything with my 401k and it really has nothing to do with the purchase but you know... stupidity? Supposed to close on the 20th...

House-buying thread - Why is everyone involved in this process so deeply stupid?

Thread title delivers once again

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Does your 401k have to be listed as an asset at all? If not, ask them to remove it. Bingo bango no more statements needed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

H110Hawk posted:

Does your 401k have to be listed as an asset at all? If not, ask them to remove it. Bingo bango no more statements needed.

That is a good idea. I just sent them all my stuff and let them roll with it. Once they call me back I see what is what...

E: This was the solution.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 7, 2021

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Just closed on my first house about 5 hours ago. Amazingly, absolutely nothing went wrong the entire time. My money wired early, sellers filled out paperwork prior to closing, done. Seller went above and beyond with cleaning and even filled in all of the nail holes where he had pictures hanging. Excited to move in tomorrow.

Already re-sealing the shower grout so I guess it's time to move onto the Home Ownership thread.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Anyone else reach out to Chase for a mortgage? I started an application online with them and a couple of other places that just do mortgages. The other places reached out the next business day but chase hasn't really done anything. I sent a message and called and left a voicemail but still haven't heard anything. Just wondering if that's normal from them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
For some reason I've got Chase bank lumped in with Wells Fargo and Bofa as "never do business with these banks" but can't remember why.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

For some reason I've got Chase bank lumped in with Wells Fargo and Bofa as "never do business with these banks" but can't remember why.

I've had a decent experience with BofA as one of my credit cards but hard gently caress Chase for sending a notice that I had a small unpaid balance on one of my cards I forgot about in a blank envelope that looked like the other spam they send out, and not sending emails about statements when I went paperless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Chase matched (actually beat, after credits) Better.com's terms for me, but I have other relationships with them as well so maybe that helps. My current team is pretty on-the-ball. When I reached out to a local branch for "just pre-approval" earlier this year, the people I dealt with weren't nearly as good, so there may just be luck in the draw.

A colleague had glowingly recommended a Wells Fargo agent to me and it took five minutes of Googling "Wells Fargo mortgage fraud" to remind me to neeeeeeeever use them. Although honestly I don't think JPMC is a much better corporate entity in general.