Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The kids crossing the road made me lol though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My original model PS4 was damaged by a lightning strike. Still powers on and responds to controller input but no audio or video comes out of the HDMI port. With headphones plugged in to the controller I can hear the menu audio after pressing X to log in, so it's still running. The TV, its HDMI input and the cable are confirmed to be good; safe mode didn't help; feel free to suggest anything else. (Weird thing, it didn't even lose power -- was still in rest mode after the lightning.)

iFixit suggests this is either the PS4's HDMI port (no visible damage) or the HDMI chip, which is not an easy self-repair. Is this something a local shop could do for a reasonable price (<~$100) or do I just have to bite the bullet and join the PS5 hunt? I wasn't planning to do that anytime soon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I could care about Tim Rogers more. I might watch that DQXI review everyone loves since it's shorter but the idea of watching hours and hours of someone talking about themselves and games is just not appealing to me at all. I don't know, I'm not trying to poo poo on it or anything. I like simple and straight to the point things. Maybe I don't respect his level of intelligence and dedication as much as I should. Maybe I'm judging things based on zero experience and should embrace the truth that direct experience is the only thing that actually matters. On that note though, why watch a thing for hours instead of spending more time with it directly and forming my own feelings about it. A good videogame that connects with you is a very powerful thing, as cheesy as that sounds. It's like a good complicated (or maybe not complicated at all) relationship. Is this turning into a Tim Rogers post? I'll check out the DQXI one but as much as I'm 100% onboard with Cyberpunk 2077 being extremely good from the bit I've played I can't get hyped a guy talking about it on and on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

buy a UPS, people! they can be had for under 70 bones!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After my last power outage I bought two surge supressors

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was having power flickers in December during the ice storms. pdx grid is usually rock solid, but even a tiny interruption will just smash through digital devices with as much draw as the PS5. best to have that back-up power so that you can at least shut it off safely. I'm never loving around with that kind of thing again after the scare it gave me corrupting my user account :stare:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kinda stuck at the moment. I've killed Vicar Amelia and the Witch. Found a door that needs a password but haven't found one yet. Decided to go back to the starter area to practice parrying.

Pretty sure I've explored everything. Probably missed something somewhere.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Kinda stuck at the moment. I've killed Vicar Amelia and the Witch. Found a door that needs a password but haven't found one yet. Decided to go back to the starter area to practice parrying.

Pretty sure I've explored everything. Probably missed something somewhere.

If you've killed Vicar grab the password from the altar and head to the password door.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ooh, new Tim video just before my wife's birthday. She never watches any gaming videos at all but she enjoys the videos by the "memory man" a lot, which is what she calls him because she has a terrible memory for names.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish I could care about Tim Rogers more. I might watch that DQXI review everyone loves since it's shorter but the idea of watching hours and hours of someone talking about themselves and games is just not appealing to me at all. I don't know, I'm not trying to poo poo on it or anything. I like simple and straight to the point things. Maybe I don't respect his level of intelligence and dedication as much as I should. Maybe I'm judging things based on zero experience and should embrace the truth that direct experience is the only thing that actually matters. On that note though, why watch a thing for hours instead of spending more time with it directly and forming my own feelings about it. A good videogame that connects with you is a very powerful thing, as cheesy as that sounds. It's like a good complicated (or maybe not complicated at all) relationship. Is this turning into a Tim Rogers post? I'll check out the DQXI one but as much as I'm 100% onboard with Cyberpunk 2077 being extremely good from the bit I've played I can't get hyped a guy talking about it on and on.

KD you know ily but you can tell just from reading this post that you yourself understand what a bad take it is

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If you've killed Vicar grab the password from the altar and head to the password door.

I must have missed this. I touched a skull and got a cut scene. Didn't see a password. Dammit. At least it's easy to get back to. Thanks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m a top tier sub on Tim’s Patreon and the current estimate is the Cyberpunk video is 14 hours long

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I must have missed this. I touched a skull and got a cut scene. Didn't see a password. Dammit. At least it's easy to get back to. Thanks.

This happens to a lot of people because it's a bit obtuse. The password is in your skull now, beware the affliction of too much insight, but also fear the old blood.

edit; Have you been to Hemwick yet?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

This happens to a lot of people because it's a bit obtuse. The password is in your skull now, beware the affliction of too much insight, but also fear the old blood.

edit; Have you been to Hemwick yet?

Yeah, I did that before Vicar. I saved Vicar because someone mentioned doing it later because it changed something. So I explored as much as I could before going for it.

I can see why people like BB. It plays the way many people wished Dark Souls played. I don't like spoopy games, though, and the initial learning curve is pretty hosed up due to not being able to level for a while. Which is why I am not a big fan. Definitely over the hump now and will likely finish it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I did that before Vicar. I saved Vicar because someone mentioned doing it later because it changed something. So I explored as much as I could before going for it.

I can see why people like BB. It plays the way many people wished Dark Souls played. I don't like spoopy games, though, and the initial learning curve is pretty hosed up due to not being able to level for a while. Which is why I am not a big fan. Definitely over the hump now and will likely finish it.

Maybe give a few Chalices a try if you have someone else to co-op with you, and most definitely don't miss out on the DLC, which you can access if you own it as soon as you defeat Vicar.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I watched a couple Tim Rogers videos and pretty much couldn’t bear them, sorry thread and Veeg.

Brian Gilbert tho, that guy gets it

:edit: oops two pages too late just ignore me as the Tim Rogers fan thread should

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

I watched a couple Tim Rogers videos and pretty much couldn’t bear them, sorry thread and Veeg.

apologize again! :toughguy:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm assuming yes, but I want to be sure:

Can I use any MicroUSB cable to connect the PS VR processing unit to the PlayStation? My set up is about a foot too short.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

KD you know ily but you can tell just from reading this post that you yourself understand what a bad take it is

That’s fair, I get it! I’ll give the DQXI one a go soon and see what he’s really all about. I hate judging things based on my imagined perceptions of a thing anyway. Sometimes I just like to think out loud via posting lol.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hate judging things based on my imagined perceptions of a thing anyway.

Yeah this is the main thing. You could watch a vid and totally hate him, and that would be fine! But your post was basically a paragraph about your own assumptions.

I started playing Outer Wilds again today because of the Veeg streams and it really is just such a blast and so full of wonder. I love exploring this world! After this I’ll most likely start Ratgame

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

buy a UPS, people! they can be had for under 70 bones!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was on a surge protector and everything else on that one was fine (except I can't confirm the PSVR box yet, for obvious reasons). Got two TVs and a router, also on protectors, as well as a ceiling fan and light fixture. Electrician said not much you can do about this kind of thing -- this wasn't a routine "power got weird during a storm" incident, it actually struck maybe 20 yards from the room with the PS4, exploded a wooden fence and blew a couple of bricks off the building. Just thankful it didn't start a fire like has happened here before.

I got seven years out of the PS4 so nbd for the money really, just wasn't looking to jump in the PS5 market yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm assuming yes, but I want to be sure:

Can I use any MicroUSB cable to connect the PS VR processing unit to the PlayStation? My set up is about a foot too short.

Yea, it’s generic

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Aidan_702 posted:

Brian Gilbert tho, that guy gets it

:edit: oops two pages too late just ignore me as the Tim Rogers fan thread should

Brian Gilbert gets it, and Brian Gilbert can get it

:wink:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It was on a surge protector and everything else on that one was fine (except I can't confirm the PSVR box yet, for obvious reasons). Got two TVs and a router, also on protectors, as well as a ceiling fan and light fixture. Electrician said not much you can do about this kind of thing -- this wasn't a routine "power got weird during a storm" incident, it actually struck maybe 20 yards from the room with the PS4, exploded a wooden fence and blew a couple of bricks off the building. Just thankful it didn't start a fire like has happened here before.

I got seven years out of the PS4 so nbd for the money really, just wasn't looking to jump in the PS5 market yet.

:( drat

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I always forget that you can’t level up until you get one insight, which definitely frustrated me my first time playing. But once you’ve played it repeatedly and know every item location and what the item is, you can sprint through the level and get one of the two madman’s knowledge in Central Yharnam and use it to get one insight, so every time I start a new character I’ll rush to the one in the sewer usually, because it’s close to the Saw Spear hanging from a chain above the sewers, and then maybe grab the Hunter Garb, before I ever warp to the Hunter’s Dream, that way I can grab a gun and level up a few times without having to warp back and forth between Central Yharnam and the Hunter’s Dream several times.

I also don’t like horror games, but Bloodborne is different for some reason, and you’re about to get to what was my favorite part of the game my first time playing, because it kind of shifts the tone of the game from what you assume is just going to be gothic horror and werewolves, etc. to something way more interesting.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Which Yakuza game is canonical after 9/11‽ starting 4 and it says 2010, but I don't see any American flags.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

9/11 is weak sauce. The Twin Towers only blew up once, but the Millennium Tower blows up every time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think I might care about Tim Rogers video about Cyberpunk if it had come out 6 or even 3 months ago, but good lord I probably loved the game as much as anyone and just can’t be bothered to care anymore. I bought at launch, 90 hours played, bought a t-shirt, bought the art book, bought the tabletop book, played it with my friends… I don’t know how much more I could care about cyberpunk but I just do not give a poo poo about what this dude thinks about Cyberpunk in relationship to, presumably, every other video game about crime ever made?

Noah Caldwell-Gervais, now that was a long form video essay about Cyberpunk I enjoyed, but that guy also has absolutely zero ego about his content. Tim Rogers appears to be… exclusively egotistical in his content (you have to be to think anyone would listen to you talk about yourself playing video games for 6 hours).

He’s just doing the Ken Burns thing, and Ken Burns has his diehard fans, but they are wholly inaccessible products to most people.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I think I might care about Tim Rogers video about Cyberpunk if it had come out 6 or even 3 months ago, but good lord I probably loved the game as much as anyone and just can’t be bothered to care anymore. I bought at launch, 90 hours played, bought a t-shirt, bought the art book, bought the tabletop book, played it with my friends… I don’t know how much more I could care about cyberpunk but I just do not give a poo poo about what this dude thinks about Cyberpunk in relationship to, presumably, every other video game about crime ever made?

Noah Caldwell-Gervais, now that was a long form video essay about Cyberpunk I enjoyed, but that guy also has absolutely zero ego about his content. Tim Rogers appears to be… exclusively egotistical in his content (you have to be to think anyone would listen to you talk about yourself playing video games for 6 hours).

He’s just doing the Ken Burns thing, and Ken Burns has his diehard fans, but they are wholly inaccessible products to most people.

It's better that it's coming now, the early vids were just chasing clout. 7 solid months of living under the surreal gerontocratic mind-fumes of Joe Vibin will add invaluable insight to the process of bullshitting about a broken game about a broken world.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

univbee posted:

9/11 is weak sauce. The Twin Towers only blew up once, but the Millennium Tower blows up every time.

Not in 3! Some incel tried to jump off it, but his bimbo girlfriend pulled him back. #neverforget #majimaheatmeltssteelbeams

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

:same:

I watched a few minutes of one of his other videos and thought that style had annoyed me before but I didn't realize until just now that the "Dreaming In An Empty Room" essay I read so many years ago was what put Rogers on the map. He made some good points but his Weaboo S. Thompson gimmick sucked then and gently caress listening to that bullshit for more than about five minutes regardless of the topic at hand.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ken Burns and Tim Rogers are nothing alike besides "big runtime number" lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thinking Ken Burns is some inaccessible poo poo is like thinking Citizen Kane is "old and slow" lol, when he's one of the most milquetoast documentarians ever and there's a reason he's popular on PBS because you can just let the source quotes and slow pans over photographs wash over you without having to deal with anything complex or challenging

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ken burns is literally the most accessible mainstream normie poo poo ever, so that is def a scorching hot bust take

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Which Yakuza game is canonical after 9/11‽ starting 4 and it says 2010, but I don't see any American flags.

twin towers were blown up by the shinra electric corporation in 1997, that's why you don't see them in MGS2

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm very confused about Tim Rogers doing CP2077. IIRC, his series was about the best games of all time. Very strange choice. From what I've heard of Witcher 3, that would be a better choice for a vid. But mediocre and extremely disappointing CP? IDGI.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm very confused about Tim Rogers doing CP2077. IIRC, his series was about the best games of all time. Very strange choice. From what I've heard of Witcher 3, that would be a better choice for a vid. But mediocre and extremely disappointing CP? IDGI.

No, his best games list exists as a separate entity from his reviews. He's mostly cultural commentary from a gaming perspective, and not all of the games he does vids for end up on the best games list. see FF7R, the very first part of the series, a game he loved but doesn't make the list

edit; so basically the 2077 'review' however long it is won't just be about 2077, but rather the entire context of cyberpunk style in videogames and media, as well as everything having to do with its development within the broader culture of gaming

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 7, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
He had also planned to trace a route of ideas from FF7R through to Cyberpunk long before it even came out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah his reviews have nothing to do with giving a consumer recommendation grade to a product and are only tangentially related to the zeitgeist, so the fact of it being a year after the game's release is not some deathblow to what it's trying to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shocking thought but maybe Tim is doing videos on those games because he likes to think about them specifically

#wow #woah