Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Comrayn posted:

So how much of this is in the game?

Actually everything listed there is in the game. I haven’t played it since they really added campaigns so I can’t tell you how well it works. They’ve also changed quite a bit from the original design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

insider posted:

This launches in like 30 hours but you'd never know if you weren't actively following it.

Zero marketing

Not on any major distribution network (seriously they couldn't even get some Epic bucks?)

Zero major streamers planning on playing (don't even think 99% know its launching)
If I wasn't reading the thread I wouldn't even know this game is getting released. Buddy here said it all, this game's dead on arrival. Might've been salvageable if it was on steam/epic.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Maybe 2021 is finally going to be the year that companies stop trying to pitch MMOs. Magic is dead already. This is going to be nothing. New World has been scrambling to retool so quickly that I can’t imagine it will launch that well either. The new Lotr mmo is already cancelled.

The last new “successful” was what? ESO? After having to go through massive revamps when it also had a shitshow of a launch. Same as FFXIV before it.

MMOs are just a mismanaged mess on the whole and even the best attempts fail before they succeed.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
project gorgon is the best mmo

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

Maybe 2021 is finally going to be the year that companies stop trying to pitch MMOs. Magic is dead already. This is going to be nothing. New World has been scrambling to retool so quickly that I can’t imagine it will launch that well either. The new Lotr mmo is already cancelled.

The last new “successful” was what? ESO? After having to go through massive revamps when it also had a shitshow of a launch. Same as FFXIV before it.

MMOs are just a mismanaged mess on the whole and even the best attempts fail before they succeed.

As someone who loves MMOs and has played way too many of them and is subbed to three right now and pre-ordered New World, I think the genre reached its peak some time ago and unless there's some just utterly absurd, massive-brained mad genius out there with lots of money and a dedicated top-tier development team, the genre really just ought to be abandoned. Like that old weird and probably not real quote "Everything that can be invented has been invented" only for real this time in the context of MMOs

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The last time I checked in on the game it seemed to have an ok loop- you play a game that has 4 seasons, each one has some randomly-loaded objectives. Team that gets the objective at the end of season gets some victory poitns. Objectives are worth more victory points as seasons go on to allow some amount of catch-up, team with most points at the end of winter gets some kind of permanent cosmetic and the game ends. I think the original plan was for games to be like a month or two, but they shortened them to a week or two during testing to iterate faster and they may have decided they liked that better. The broad game loop the objectives were built around was territory control, but every season had three "types" of objective, and only one was strictly territory control. I think one of them was combat-related and the other was economic. And I think they tried to have at least one of those objectives per season be something that smaller teams could compete on (so competing on some kind of "per-player" metric).

There was a whole planned system of complex crafting and gathering and crafting tables and developing prototypes to mass-produce at factories and enslaved spirits of the dead boosting crafting tables, but last I checked in that stuff *still* wasn't good or even really fleshed out at all and I think they dropped factories for launch. So it was very much about zerg fighting and territory control as the main deal (despite initially advertising itself as really good for crafting-type plaers) and the combat was not, in my opinion, good enough to support that (although I guess some people said some classes played well, I always thought the archer felt like poo poo).

I think probably if they'd figured out what they wanted to make at the beginning and focused on hiring people with a background in making combat feel good/solid network engineers, and advertised it as the thing they were making instead of an MMO they probably could have finished it in half the time and made a game worth playing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Or honestly if GW2 made WvWvW use the season + victory point system I'd probably be down for that.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Radio Free Kobold posted:

If I wasn't reading the thread I wouldn't even know this game is getting released. Buddy here said it all, this game's dead on arrival. Might've been salvageable if it was on steam/epic.

I believe they are going with a "soft launch" strategy; for whatever that's worth.

I did not enjoy the confessor class that I played last; I did not like the escape ultie. Maybe I am just bad at the class.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Doggir posted:

Actually everything listed there is in the game..

Yeah, they have focused their development efforts on actually building these game systems. The downside is that the game is visually just competent, and the lack of marketing is going to hurt them.

If they're lucky they'll get by by word of mouth. They might also be able to grab wow pvp players desulisioned by the current state of the game (since the big wow alternative, FFXIV, has almost nothing to offer in the pvp department)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

FrostyPox posted:

As someone who loves MMOs and has played way too many of them and is subbed to three right now and pre-ordered New World, I think the genre reached its peak some time ago and unless there's some just utterly absurd, massive-brained mad genius out there with lots of money and a dedicated top-tier development team, the genre really just ought to be abandoned. Like that old weird and probably not real quote "Everything that can be invented has been invented" only for real this time in the context of MMOs

You have to nail three things really well for an mmo to succeed and most studios only nail one (if that):

Combat - Has to be fun enough to be engaging but simple enough that you can autopilot sometimes. Black Desert had engaging combat to me at first but I just got sick of it over time. I like a lot about ESO but the optimal way to fight drives me and most people I know nuts. On the flip side, TSW combat was way too simple and could easily put me to sleep.

Progression - Goals need to be clear and feel attainable. Things being slightly grindy is better than heavily RNG. Retail WoW was a big failure here with the latest xpac at launch. Some of the best content they’ve done in a while but grindy with a big side of RNG. FFXIV does this really well.

Content - PvP or PvE. Either a variety of interesting and rewarding content or less content but it’s super engaging and rewarding. Wow always has a variety but only a small slice is engaging and rewards are usually terrible at the start of an xpac. FFXIV has less variety but what it has is very good.

Then there are a bunch of nice to haves like story, visuals, crafting, character customization etc. But most games fail to nail the fundamentals and hemorrhage players.

So far I haven’t heard any impression of crowfall that said it’s killing it at any of them. If you don’t nail at least one you are magic legends and dead in such months or less.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Is there going to be a goon guild in this game? Is anyone interested in playing?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Apparently I backed this game forever ago and it's now releasing. Amusing anecdote - my backer account doesn't seem to 'own' the game. Just a pile of rewards.

Given that the total investment I have in this is essentially as meaningful at this time as my total investment in a random night out in 2015, I'm letting support sort it out and will go wander around and see what they built in this essentially gifted game.

Anything fun you'd say a brand new player absolutely should do?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Just got the launch email. I don't own the retail game, as a Kickstarter backer.

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

The perfect counter argument, coming right up.

Anias posted:

Anything fun you'd say a brand new player absolutely should do?

Do the “new player experience” tutorial thing if you want to learn systems, or at least until you get the free mount. It’s 20-30 minutes in.

If you have no palate for the PvE at all to finish it, then find the giant tree in the temple of earth. Find the pedestal on the left. Skip level to 25.
Put talents in whatever looks fun. Craft some basic weapons and gear.

Head to the mirrors. Go to your “-arium” zone. Open the map, find an “-arium” zone portal that is not your “-arium” type. Go there. Run around and murder the opposing factions and steal their gold shinies.

Then if you’re still into it, do the proper and join a guild where the real stuff happens. The sieges and larger scale pvp stuff is supposed to be the meat and potatoes of the game.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Just got the launch email. I don't own the retail game, as a Kickstarter backer.

Hi five, email support@crowfall.com and let them know =p

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

BobTheVillain posted:

Do the “new player experience” tutorial thing if you want to learn systems, or at least until you get the free mount. It’s 20-30 minutes in.

If you have no palate for the PvE at all to finish it, then find the giant tree in the temple of earth. Find the pedestal on the left. Skip level to 25.
Put talents in whatever looks fun. Craft some basic weapons and gear.

Head to the mirrors. Go to your “-arium” zone. Open the map, find an “-arium” zone portal that is not your “-arium” type. Go there. Run around and murder the opposing factions and steal their gold shinies.

Then if you’re still into it, do the proper and join a guild where the real stuff happens. The sieges and larger scale pvp stuff is supposed to be the meat and potatoes of the game.

Thanks! Sounds like I'll be doing an hour or so of pve into pvp, whenever support gets back to me.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got the Crowfall has launched email so I looked at twitch and it seems no one is able to play yet. Then I went onto their website because I could not remember how much it cost and the store doesn't work.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I want to note that I left the tab open and the store did eventually load and it costs forty dollars (plus sub?).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comrayn posted:

I want to note that I left the tab open and the store did eventually load and it costs forty dollars (plus sub?).

you can also get a 2 month sub with your $200 founder pack purchase

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
or you can pay $60 for a bundle which comes with an unlootable item that gives you a 2% damage bonus, that's pretty poggers

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Oh, yeah I should definitely have mentioned that's the minimum. You can buy a shitload more.

Some twitch streamers are watching youtube videos of gameplay in what I assume is an attempt to trick people into watching their stream, but still looks like servers are not up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
done buying your founders packs and topped up with 2 whole months of VIP? Pay $30 for a spider mount to ride back to your $150 parcel of land

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Comrayn posted:

Oh, yeah I should definitely have mentioned that's the minimum. You can buy a shitload more.

Some twitch streamers are watching youtube videos of gameplay in what I assume is an attempt to trick people into watching their stream, but still looks like servers are not up.

I don't understand what this means; I've been playing since early this morning. Is it just that the tutorial servers are the only thing up?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Pryce posted:

I don't understand what this means; I've been playing since early this morning. Is it just that the tutorial servers are the only thing up?

I went to twitch after seeing he launch email and everyone was just sitting around not actually playing the game for an hour or so. Maybe the servers were taken down to fix something idk. Looks like some guys are playing now!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm taking a flyer on this one, and I've been hyped up by the premise enough that I splashed down $80 to get some additional bullshit that a normal $40 purchase wouldn't get me. I'll give it a go, see if the pvp and crafting/gathering systems grab me, and if there isn't really enough there I'll take a swing at getting a refund from the company. I was able to do something similar with Wildstar, which I'd purchased at full up-front cost and then got refunded well before it went F2P.

My biggest concern is that the game will straight-up flop, and my second biggest is that it'll make that F2P shift later on and I'll be kind of out of luck for spending money early. I think that straight f2p model makes more sense for a pvp oriented game, but I guess we'll see.

Having some procedurally generated elements is also a selling point to me. Between how it's handling resource gathering/PvE elements and the stronghold mechanics it's doing most of the things that got me excited about pathfinder online, until I downloaded it and it looked horrible. I don't care much about graphics, but I need to at least somewhat be able to stand looking at the game.

They definitely needed you know, ANY marketing budget, but there ought to be some reviews out on it a few weeks after launch, so that'll help. I'm expecting a pretty rough launch but for there to be some real potential for this one if they nail how PVP combat feels. Managing to design things that prevent mass zerging around objectives/players/areas as a primary tactic would be a major gamechanger, for example. I had a fairly good time with ESO's big pvp objective/fort based zone though, so I'm hoping to have a fun time here too. Building a solid combat system in an MMO that doesn't involve tag targetting also seems like a really good feature. If they can nail that (which so far they haven't, based on the youtube videos I've seen that involve wild hitboxes sent out for attacks) I think that would count as them really doing combat right for a significant portion of the MMO audience, and might help them earn enough money to keep polishing up the game into something really nice and different from the other MMO's out there.

The fact that the servers were down for a bit on launch day isn't ideal, but hey they seem to be up now so I'm off to check it out! I'll pass along some of my thoughts at the end of the day.

Edit: Servers still down. Not a great sign, and after seeing Magic Legends get hosed by server problems early I'm concerned this is a precursor to Crowfall meeting the same fate.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 6, 2021

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
1: What's the OP class?

2: What exactly does VIP do? I know this is not a sub game, and now that there's no passive training I'm not sure what you are paying for.

3. Goon guild?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Downloaded the game today, but the servers are down currently. womp womp.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Currently popped into the game but having trouble getting into any of the actual servers to play it. Here's hoping they do the traditional "have a bunch of our in-game currency" apology for server problems.

Hell, handing out about 2k of it as a freebie to try to hook people on spending it in-game would've been a good launch strategy anyway.

Edit: After closing the game I've gotten errors or frozen loading screens when I try to login, so server problems are persisting.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 6, 2021

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
As I understand, you don't need VIP to play, it gives perks. (not sure what those might be)

Pryce
May 21, 2011

NowonSA posted:

Currently popped into the game but having trouble getting into any of the actual servers to play it. Here's hoping they do the traditional "have a bunch of our in-game currency" apology for server problems.

Hell, handing out about 2k of it as a freebie to try to hook people on spending it in-game would've been a good launch strategy anyway.

I'm pretty sure there's not an in-game shop....the store button I pushed just took me to the website to spend cash money.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

Lost Ark is probably going to be the biggest MMO in years when it launches in N/A in a few months.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Pryce posted:

I'm pretty sure there's not an in-game shop....the store button I pushed just took me to the website to spend cash money.

The VIP rewards are listed here https://crowfall.com/en-US/vip and include "FREE Crowns - 1,499 Granted (1-Mo. VIP)", so there must be some in-game shop to spend those crowns.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is Lost Ark still big in Korea? I remember a lot of hype for it pre launch but I haven't heard anything since

also just eyeballing the VIP rewards it looks like the biggest perk is slower durability loss

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DaitoX posted:

The VIP rewards are listed here https://crowfall.com/en-US/vip and include "FREE Crowns - 1,499 Granted (1-Mo. VIP)", so there must be some in-game shop to spend those crowns.

At any rate, you can buy their currency so they could hand out that currency to accounts if they wanted to.

Long-term the slower durability loss and extended food buffs is the big perk, since almost everything (including gear like weapons and armor) will decay over time and permanently be removed from player inventory. It seems like the top-tier stuff will be player crafted items/gear, which I heard decay much slower than other items. In my MMO experience my inventory/vault/bank was always full of tons of useless stuff, so I actually think this could be a fun element to the game and help keep things from getting too stale. I can definitely see how it'd turn some people off though, and I imagine they'll eventually implement non-decaying equipment (possibly as something involved in the rewards for when a campaign ends and the world blows up).

After ESO I've learned not to underestimate the benefit of a bigger inventory, so that's probably a significant quality of life improvement if you want to really dedicate yourself to the game.

Unlimited free respecs and character boosts is a significant bonus too. Based on what I've checked out so far, there's a lot of room for different builds for each class, and being able to toy around with that as much as you want is nice. The boost will take characters to level 25, and there's a soft cap at 30 and then a hard cap at 35 (pretty sure it's significantly more of a grind to get to 31+), so it's actually a pretty major boost. I believe they're also just giving everyone one free boost to 25 if they purchase the $40 version of the game though.

You also need to be VIP to invite people to your eternal kingdom, which is basically where you show off the stuff you did in the various campaigns and I'm sure is intended to serve as a guild meet-up area. If you want to run a guild, or be high up in a guild's heirarchy, I imagine being VIP will be basically essential.

I think there's enough value there to at least buy the $50 version that'll give a month of VIP instead of the $40 base. There are essentially six character slots, and I like the idea of being able to boost up all six. In most games they'll add more character slots if you pay for them as well, so hopefully that'll be something I can dump my crowns into. I think being able to jump across various high level character classes with basically no grinding involved could go a long way towards adding to my enjoyment of the game.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 6, 2021

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

is Lost Ark still big in Korea? I remember a lot of hype for it pre launch but I haven't heard anything since

also just eyeballing the VIP rewards it looks like the biggest perk is slower durability loss

It's likely because everyone outside of the Korean servers is IP banned. It pulls in 10k viewers on twitch which are basically all Korean streamers and that isn't their largest streaming platform.

All of the PoE streamers whose opinions I respect that have played the N/A closed testing say it's primed to be absolutely amazing.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I like how the launch version says in big text on the loading screen "DEVELOPER BUILD".

I played a little bit this morning but now I'm having a hard time getting in. Finally got to the server list again and it says all servers are "light" for population so I guess it's just their login server tripping on itself? Some poor dev is probably looking for ways to optimize queries and updates for their centralized account data, lol

edit: 5 seconds after connecting to the server and loading in to play, it gives me connection lost

why the f is the error behaviour for any issue in this game to completely close the client?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the servers show as light, and yet there is a queue.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I didn’t realize how many classes this game has once you include the advanced versions or whatever, plus disciplines. Feels like there are a ton of ways to tweak your character. I am not huge on pvp games but did enjoy shadowbane some back in the day. There’s a dearth of content videos and stuff to watch due to the quiet launch and server issues though so it’s hard to know if I’d like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
It looks like there's a few people streaming at least now. The PvE looks completely tolerable and the PvP actually looks pretty decent? I'd have to actually play it to see how it feels, but it looked like there was some good skill based stuff going on at least. I'll be interested to see what the population looks like in another month, but I wish all the best for anyone who decides to try it out!