Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I feel like this thread might have turned into a cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

If anyone needs some mind-melting drill n bass in their life, Venetian Snares' Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett is getting a repress.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I'm really shocked by all the Garth Brooks love in this thread.

I know very little about country music, but may Dad is a huge country buff. He's always treated Brooks as a bit of a joke, kinda mass market country music for the casuals.

I guess I always assumed that was the consensus with country fans, but this thread has proved me wrong.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyv4zq/the-vinyl-boom-is-pushing-out-smaller-labels

quote:

Vinyl Is More Popular Than Ever. Surprisingly, That's a Problem

tl;dr too many garth brooks boxsets is making it hard for indies to get their releases pressed

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pitwar posted:

I know very little about country music, but may Dad is a huge country buff. He's always treated Brooks as a bit of a joke, kinda mass market country music for the casuals.

I guess I always assumed that was the consensus with country fans, but this thread has proved me wrong.

He’s not wrong, but there’s always been good and bad pop music. You didn’t have to dig as deep to find the good pop country in the early 90s as you do now. Conversely, I think it’s easier to find good mainstream pop now vs the early 90s.

But all that being said, people here are only into the Garth brooks box set because it’s absurdly cheap. If it was $75 nobody would have bought it.

I also think that everyone’s opinion on Garth Brooks has softened over time. One, he’s pretty much a nostalgia act now, doing residencies in Las Vegas and stuff like that. Two, some of the modern pop country is so offensively bad that he looks better by comparison. There was definitely a period in time where a certain segment of the listening audience thought that Garth brooks was everything wrong with modern country and they were listening to alt country or more mainstream guys like Lyle Lovett/Clint Black/George Straight/Dwight Yoakam.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 6, 2021

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BigFactory posted:

He’s not wrong, but there’s always been good and bad pop music. You didn’t have to dig as deep to find the good pop country in the early 90s as you do now. Conversely, I think it’s easier to find good mainstream pop now vs the early 90s.

But all that being said, people here are only into the Garth brooks box set because it’s absurdly cheap. If it was $75 nobody would have bought it.

I also think that everyone’s opinion on Garth Brooks has softened over time. One, he’s pretty much a nostalgia act now, doing residencies in Las Vegas and stuff like that. Two, some of the modern pop country is so offensively bad that he looks better by comparison. There was definitely a period in time where a certain segment of the listening audience thought that Garth brooks was everything wrong with modern country and they were listening to alt country or more mainstream guys like Lyle Lovett/Clint Black/George Straight/Dwight Yoakam.

Thanks for this, it makes a lot of sense.

I guess as you get older you forget how long ago certain acts were in their prime, so what was considered corny then is now considered better than the new stuff being released.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought Garth Brooks because it was 10 dollars and some change and heavy enough that it probably cost more to ship than it sold for.

Even if I never listen to a single LP, I could peel the labels off the records and make a display with them or something.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I bought it because I wanted Ropin the Wind on vinyl, and it was cheaper to by 42 discs of music than 1 in this case.

Also, The guy is not George Jones but he's got a handful of great songs and probably a dozen good songs in his career so for $18, if you even remotely like country, this is a buy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hekk posted:

I bought Garth Brooks because it was 10 dollars and some change and heavy enough that it probably cost more to ship than it sold for.

Even if I never listen to a single LP, I could peel the labels off the records and make a display with them or something.

I think more than anything this box set proves how little people who buy physical media are interested in Garth Brooks in 2021.

I think a well made, career spanning Lyle Lovett box set (for example) would sell reasonably well, even though he hasn’t released new music in a decade and only sporadically does summer shed greatest hits tours. It definitely wouldn’t be priced at $18. He’s an artist who “serious” music collectors appreciate much more than Garth, even though Garth sold millions more records in his prime.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

I think more than anything this box set proves how little people who buy physical media are interested in Garth Brooks in 2021.

I think they just completely screwed the pooch w/r/t how many copies to press. I figure they're selling reasonably well but whoever was in charge of figuring out how many to print added a 0 to the count and warehousing all those box sets ain't cheap.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Pitwar posted:

Make no mistake: If any incredibly popular musician that I was only vaguely aware of was trying to sell me 21 records for $18, I would have bit.

it dont matter posted:

tl;dr too many garth brooks boxsets is making it hard for indies to get their releases pressed
I've definitely been seeing a few pre-orders pop up with release dates in December because of the backup. Secret Records (who handles a lot of the Residents releases) even says they're not getting anything out the rest of the year because of it. :smith:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I think they just completely screwed the pooch w/r/t how many copies to press. I figure they're selling reasonably well but whoever was in charge of figuring out how many to print added a 0 to the count and warehousing all those box sets ain't cheap.

I have a hard time imagining they’re even breaking even selling them so cheap. Burying them like ET floppies would make more sense.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I also bought the Garth Brooks boxset (at least two). Both will be gag gifts this year. Fun will be had.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I never really got the big box sets as anything other than fomo collector bait. The perfect gift for the superfan who for some reason has zero of their favorite artist’s albums. Anyway the dumbest record I own is the Rush Hour 2 soundtrack.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

I never really got the big box sets as anything other than fomo collector bait. The perfect gift for the superfan who for some reason has zero of their favorite artist’s albums. Anyway the dumbest record I own is the Rush Hour 2 soundtrack.

The track list for Rush Hour 2 doesn't look that bad.

Silliest record I own is Sugar Rays 14:59. Listened to it once for nostalgia and don't know if I'll ever pull it out again.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

it dont matter posted:

If anyone needs some mind-melting drill n bass in their life, Venetian Snares' Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett is getting a repress.

Snapped this up so fast. Easily the best VS album, one of the all-time best drill n bass albums.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it dont matter posted:

where?!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the original press is one of my most beloved records. It’s also the most accessible VS album IMO.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah its how I was introduced to Venetian Snare and a staple for my playlists growing up.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

https://planetmu.bleepstores.com/release/68775-venetian-snares-rossz-csillag-alatt-szletett

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

An expensive day for me 😖

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah it's a stone cold classic. That gloomy Sunday track is loving ace. Whole album is great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just to do a bit of self promotion, this is a Venetian Snares live set I shot years back, had desk audio but it wasn’t the best so this dude cleaned it up a bit (and the tape got a bit glitchy at times). It’s a fun one to see for those who dig him but haven’t seen him live. He’s a legit grumpy dude, but you have to love him.

https://youtu.be/xaFIQNZmfB4

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pitwar posted:

In an era where pop country hits include "she thinks my tractor's sexy" and "hold my beer (while I kiss your girlfriend)", "Friends in Low Places" is an absolute masterpiece of an enjoyable country singalong.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the VS record appears to be gone already

I have no reason to buy the garth set, but it occasionally tempts me like "how much would I get if I bought this for a few bucks and then sold it to half-price books? gotta be more than what I paid, right?"

glance at amazon, amazon says it's selling for $90.

boat missed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
We’ve entered the age of GarthCoin

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Stan Taylor posted:

I feel attacked right now because I did cave and get the Triumph Allied Forces box set for reasons. I'll get back to you on dumbest record I own later, it might be Pixanne though.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pitwar posted:

No, it hasn't. Old school country isn't what these suburbanites in pickup trucks listen to. Calling him the Billy Joel of country was very appropriate.

ED: Not to knock the fans or the musicians though. Not my cup of tea but to each his or her own.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 6, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I don't know much about country music either, but generally the older the better. I do like Patsy Cline though, that'd be a place to start.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Bummer, that's the best VS by far imo

Check Bandcamp but it ships from the UK

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to do a bit of self promotion, this is a Venetian Snares live set I shot years back, had desk audio but it wasn’t the best so this dude cleaned it up a bit (and the tape got a bit glitchy at times). It’s a fun one to see for those who dig him but haven’t seen him live. He’s a legit grumpy dude, but you have to love him.

https://youtu.be/xaFIQNZmfB4

Hey, thanks for this, Turtle.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I don't know much about country music either, but generally the older the better. I do like Patsy Cline though, that'd be a place to start.

You should buy this. https://store.aconyrecords.com/collections/gillian-welch/products/soul-journey-lp?variant=8180793507927

They cut their own masters in house and they’re some of the best sounding records out there.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

petit choux posted:

No, it hasn't. Old school country isn't what these suburbanites in pickup trucks listen to. Calling him the Billy Joel of country was very appropriate.

ED: Not to knock the fans or the musicians though. Not my cup of tea but to each his or her own.

This seems pretty fair to me. I'd put Garth Brooks in with the other 80s and 90s country stars like George Strait, Alan Jackson, and Reba McEntire. They're not old enough to be lumped in with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, etc. but they're also not the truly terrible "let's get down girl with them painted on jeans gonna drink cold beer in my pickup all night down this old dirt road" jerkoff stadium country poo poo. I worked at a shitkicker grocery store for a while listening to country and 2005 marked a dark turn when Big & Rich's "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" was released as a single. Grew up listening to Garth myself, but considering the box set doesn't have his first or third albums (my favorites of his) and I don't have Amazon Prime, I skipped out on the bonanza.

It's really weird seeing all the posts about the Garth box sets because I saw these at Costco nearly 2 years ago and I assumed they had all been sold by now. If there are five albums per box and you get three box sets, every $18 = 15 album sales for Garth. Incredible.

Also, I recall someone linked John Anderson's Seminole Wind recently and that is an essential 90s country classic.

It was pwn. Of course it's pwn. I feel like I stalk you between this thread and the SNL thread. :shobon:

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 6, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Turbinosamente posted:

I generally find the older country songs by female artists (Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Dolly, etc) tend to be received better by "country haters" than songs by male artists. Like, my partner used to think he hated country....turns out he likes Loretta Lynn a ton after he heard "Fist City" and her cover of "Harper Valley PTA"! My guess is generally due to the subject matter of the songs.

Also, Patsy Cline is extremely listenable. I think it's a combination of her lovely voice and her distinct lack of vocal "twang" compared to a lot of other country singers.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I heard a noisy track off of this Drained Connotation record on WFMU last week and had to get a copy. Ended up grabbing two Richard Bishop records from the discogs seller as well cause why not. I've only heard a few tracks from Sun City Girls so I'm looking forward to see what this stuff sounds like.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bloodplay it again posted:

This seems pretty fair to me. I'd put Garth Brooks in with the other 80s and 90s country stars like George Strait, Alan Jackson, and Reba McEntire. They're not old enough to be lumped in with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, etc. but they're also not the truly terrible "let's get down girl with them painted on jeans gonna drink cold beer in my pickup all night down this old dirt road" jerkoff stadium country poo poo.

Patsy Cline might have died before Garth brooks was born, and Willie probably had a record deal already, so he’s definitely a generation or two removed. But I think you are misremembering how hokey some of Alan Jackson’s songs were. He had some good ones too, but it’s thin soup.

I think songwriting in Nashville just went downhill sometime in the early 90s. Maybe the talented songwriters had the alt country scene where they could sing their own songs and make money instead of having to rely on the studio system.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Patsy Cline might have died before Garth brooks was born, and Willie probably had a record deal already, so he’s definitely a generation or two removed. But I think you are misremembering how hokey some of Alan Jackson’s songs were. He had some good ones too, but it’s thin soup.

I think songwriting in Nashville just went downhill sometime in the early 90s. Maybe the talented songwriters had the alt country scene where they could sing their own songs and make money instead of having to rely on the studio system.

Country music peeked with Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CaptainBeefart posted:

I think you mean Meat Puppets II

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

Thats ONE of country's peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I think you mean Meat Puppets II

I didn't but I'd be happy to change that to II or Up On The Sun.